HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

2014 - Canada Roster Discussion (Part IV)

Closed Thread

Old
02-23-2013, 10:54 AM
Mr Writer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tape to tape View Post
Matt Moulson - 19 points in 17 games, has he earned an invite?
Hockey Canada is usually more loyal to the players that come through their so called "program of excellence" developmental system... like a GM who is more loyal to the player he drafted. But yes, I think Moulson should be given a shot and should have been given a shot last year, but HC wanted Perry. Having said that, it does happen on occasion where HC out of necessity will bring in a player without any experience on a national team at any of the various levels.

Old
02-23-2013, 06:40 PM
True Hockey Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSlater View Post

Hall Stamkos St. Louis
Tavares Duchene Giroux
Kane Benn Eberle
Ladd O'Reilly M. Richards

I think there should definitely be Jeff Carter. He's having a quite good season.

Old
02-23-2013, 09:15 PM
Crabby Williams
The key of it is...

Quote:

Hall Stamkos St. Louis
Tavares Duchene Giroux
Kane Benn Eberle
Ladd O'Reilly M. Richards
Ladd is interesting... Do you think he has a legitimate shot? And O'Reilly needs to get his ass over here if he wants a chance to make it. I'm sure HC isn't to thrilled on how this whole situation has played out with him.

Old
02-23-2013, 10:02 PM
JackSlater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabby Williams View Post
Ladd is interesting... Do you think he has a legitimate shot? And O'Reilly needs to get his ass over here if he wants a chance to make it. I'm sure HC isn't to thrilled on how this whole situation has played out with him.
My post only related to the upcoming World Championships based on what teams are currently out of the playoffs. Ladd has played in the tournament a few times, and I think he's a good fit for the fourth line at that level. O'Reilly is a very good young defensive centre, and provided he plays I think he would be a good fit for the fourth line at the WCs. It helps that he seems to have been decent in the KHL during the lockout as well. With all of the hockey he has missed this year I can't imagine him turning them down if he gets asked.

Old
02-24-2013, 12:12 AM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Writer View Post
Carle is an American! F&*# I usually don't make those kind of mistakes! I'm usually up on the country of origin. ))) But always a player can slip through the cracks.

I only put MSL on LW because he can play either side and Giroux is either a center or on the right side. And I'm really curious to see what that 2nd line could do as all three are different players and there could be some magic happen there... but then again not... otherwise, I'd go with your lineup combos.

I'm willing to give Huberdeau a pass for the WJs and pin it all on the head of the coach.
If it makes you feel better, an ESPN writer recently put Sean Couturier on the US olympic team.

Old
02-24-2013, 03:01 AM
Mr Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xokkeu View Post
If it makes you feel better, an ESPN writer recently put Sean Couturier on the US olympic team.
Since I know more about hockey than ESPN does, then no! that doesn't make me feel all that much better. )))

All kidding aside, and with respect to Couturier (a promising young player, a future selke nominee no doubt, Sean could add the passports of the rest of the Big 8 and not make one single roster.) Maybe he's Canada's 4th line center in 2018, but I doubt it.

Old
02-24-2013, 06:25 AM
Cory Trevor
Smokes, Let's go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Writer View Post
Since I know more about hockey than ESPN does, then no! that doesn't make me feel all that much better. )))

All kidding aside, and with respect to Couturier (a promising young player, a future selke nominee no doubt, Sean could add the passports of the rest of the Big 8 and not make one single roster.) Maybe he's Canada's 4th line center in 2018, but I doubt it.
Agree with you. Couturier would need to push 30 goals or be a PPG player before Hockey Canada gives him a sniff for 2018. He'll be lucky if he gets an invite.

But I disagree with you about the rest of the teams. If he had a USA passport I think on Team USA he gets serious consideration this year for at least a spot. Definitive an invite to camp.

Old
02-24-2013, 06:31 AM
Mr Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory Trevor View Post
Agree with you. Couturier would need to push 30 goals or be a PPG player before Hockey Canada gives him a sniff for 2018. He'll be lucky if he gets an invite.

But I disagree with you about the rest of the teams. If he had a USA passport I think on Team USA he gets serious consideration this year for at least a spot. Definitive an invite to camp.
He is a dual citizen by virtue of being born in Arizona, he opted to play for Canada at the 2011 WJHC therefore his fate is now cast in stone pretty much.

Even if he had chosen to play for the U.S. I really don't think he would be given serious consideration for a spot...and invite to camp I don't even see happening, but that would be a decision for the fine folks at USA Hockey in Colorado.

Where I have him ranked? The number 3 center on Canada's C team and that's only for players under the age of 22. Right up there with other players like Dougie Hamilton etc. The promising just out of junior players 1st or 2nd year pro.

Old
02-24-2013, 06:39 AM
JackSlater

Any ideas for PP units? I would think that Crosby, Stamkos, Tavares and Giroux would all be involved. Weber is obvious on defence. Interested to see any potential formations.

Old
02-24-2013, 08:05 AM
Cory Trevor
Smokes, Let's go

Quote:
Any ideas for PP units? I would think that Crosby, Stamkos, Tavares and Giroux would all be involved. Weber is obvious on defence. Interested to see any potential formations.
think Pietrangelo's on the second unit with Weber playing the backend of the first? Bear with me, Imma Murrican so I haven't done of the TC's units yet

Stamkos-Crosby-Tavares
Weber-Doughty

Hall-Giroux-Eberle
Keith-Pietrangelo

Kept Hall and Eberle because they really play well together. If not the right move in this situation would be swapping Eberle and Tavares for one another with Giroux distributing and Tavares down low. I also kept it strict to DMen and forwards for arguments sake.

Last edited by Cory Trevor: 02-24-2013 at 08:22 AM.
Old
02-24-2013, 11:46 AM
TonsofPuppies*
#ThePriceIsRight

Quote:
think Pietrangelo's on the second unit with Weber playing the backend of the first? Bear with me, Imma Murrican so I haven't done of the TC's units yet

Stamkos-Crosby-Tavares
Weber-Doughty

Hall-Giroux-Eberle
Keith-Pietrangelo

Kept Hall and Eberle because they really play well together. If not the right move in this situation would be swapping Eberle and Tavares for one another with Giroux distributing and Tavares down low. I also kept it strict to DMen and forwards for arguments sake.
Neal will make this team. I know no one around here has him on their roster, but he will make it even if it's just to play on the PP. His role on the PP (with the Pens) is just to find the quiet spots on the ice and let Malkin/Crosby thread him passes that he rips into the net. He'll be able to do that job quite effectively on the larger ice surface. Also, your PP units are missing Letang.

Old
02-24-2013, 12:10 PM
86Habs

Quote:
1st unit:
Tavares - Crosby - Neal
Weber - Letang

2nd unit:
Stamkos - Giroux - St. Louis
Pietrangelo - Keith

The first unit comprises of three Penguins who are familiar with each other, including Neal, who has been lethal on the PP this year, the big shot from the point in Weber, and an overall offensive force in Tavares.

Though the thought of Crosby and Stamkos together on the PP is enticing, Giroux and MSL are more than capable of distributing the puck effectively to Stamkos, and the two d-men anchor their own teams' PPs and are good playmakers with the man advantage as well.

Last edited by 86Habs: 02-24-2013 at 12:17 PM.
Old
02-24-2013, 12:26 PM
86Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonsofPuppies View Post
Neal will make this team. I know no one around here has him on their roster, but he will make it even if it's just to play on the PP. His role on the PP (with the Pens) is just to find the quiet spots on the ice and let Malkin/Crosby thread him passes that he rips into the net. He'll be able to do that job quite effectively on the larger ice surface. Also, your PP units are missing Letang.
I wasn't in the Neal camp going into the season, but now believe he should be on this team. I've got to think that he's ahead of Perry at this point.

Old
02-24-2013, 01:39 PM
True Hockey Fan

Quote:

Stamkos - Crosby - St. Louis - Letang - Weber

Tavares - Giroux - Neal / Eberle - Keith - Doughty

Tavares - Crosby - Giroux - Toews - Letang

Nash - Stamkos - St.Louis - Keith - Pientrangelo

But I think that E. Staal and Perry could be a good fit too. A power play unit with Getzlaf and Perry could be destructive, if they're hot at the time.

Old
02-24-2013, 01:56 PM
Mr Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Hockey Fan View Post
Stamkos - Crosby - St. Louis - Letang - Weber

Tavares - Giroux - Neal / Eberle - Keith - Doughty

Tavares - Crosby - Giroux - Toews - Letang

Nash - Stamkos - St.Louis - Keith - Pientrangelo

But I think that E. Staal and Perry could be a good fit too. A power play unit with Getzlaf and Perry could be destructive, if they're hot at the time.
I wouldn't mind seeing Giroux getting some bonus PP time on the point, perhaps with Doughty. The way he let loose with the howitzer stepping off the line last night was pretty good.

Old
02-24-2013, 04:28 PM
Cory Trevor
Smokes, Let's go

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonsofPuppies View Post
Shoot knew I forgot someone lol. I hate it, trying to make any lineup with Canada is like turning salary cap off in NHL 13.

I agree with you about Neal though. I heard most were debating his relevancy and his place on the team but as you stated, he really just finds places to put the pucks in the net. It's awesome watching those guys work. They really just go to the net and are there to do that.

I had Tavares in the role on my mock PP unit as he's got a hell of a shot. Then again his wrister is his best asset thus why I had Stamkos on the other side.

Old
02-24-2013, 06:39 PM
JackSlater

Some really good PP ideas. I like the idea of Neal as a PP finisher, and clearly Stamkos can be used in that role. Unleashing Stamkos on the PP with Weber on the point keeping the opposition from cheating to cover him could be deadly.

Old
02-24-2013, 06:51 PM
Cory Trevor
Smokes, Let's go

Quote:
Some really good PP ideas. I like the idea of Neal as a PP finisher, and clearly Stamkos can be used in that role. Unleashing Stamkos on the PP with Weber on the point keeping the opposition from cheating to cover him could be deadly.
Stamkos with that one timer on the left and the fact that Weber can break nets is ridiculous on the other side. Blocking shots is going to have to be the stuff of warriors.

Old
02-24-2013, 08:56 PM
KevyD
Make It 30!!!!

Quote:
Stamkos with that one timer on the left and the fact that Weber can break nets is ridiculous on the other side. Blocking shots is going to have to be the stuff of warriors.
Aye CT...

Not fussy on SI's Canadian picks.

http://nhl.si.com/2013/02/08/sochi-2...ster-forecast/

Old
02-24-2013, 09:41 PM
JackSlater

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevyD View Post
Aye CT...

Not fussy on SI's Canadian picks.

http://nhl.si.com/2013/02/08/sochi-2...ster-forecast/

It's not that bad. I don't see much use for Girardi in international hockey, and Iginla's time is done, but other than that it's OK. Could be worse, they're projecting a Canadian player and a Russian player for team USA. Now that's a team you can be proud of!

Old
02-24-2013, 09:43 PM
GwtGlads2013
Glads/Preds

Any reason some of you are leaving Rick Nash off?

Old
02-24-2013, 10:33 PM
Mehar

Quote:
Originally Posted by GwtGlads2013 View Post
Any reason some of you are leaving Rick Nash off?
Some people have short memory. Rick Nash is definetly on my team. His stats suffered because he played for a terrible team in Columbus the last several years. He played very good hockey in 2010, and he will definetely be there again in 2014.

Old
02-24-2013, 10:55 PM
Cory Trevor
Smokes, Let's go

Quote:
It's not that bad. I don't see much use for Girardi in international hockey, and Iginla's time is done, but other than that it's OK. Could be worse, they're projecting a Canadian player and a Russian player for team USA. Now that's a team you can be proud of!
In your opinion Jack, who will get that sixth spot? IMO I think Weber, Keith, Pietrangelo, Letang, and Drew Doughty are all going to have spots. That sixth one for me is a bit open.

Seabs and Danny G look like good picks and I don't really hate this list though I disagree a bit. I think its Seabs because of the Chicago connection and the fact that he's already been there and done that. The tough part is going to be balancing vets vs. younger roster players. Last time around Stevie Y and his crew did a heck of a job setting up there team mixing in young talent where needed and vets when it counted. The bottom six for Canada will be difficult to choose and the sixth spot is a question AFAIC

Old
02-24-2013, 11:09 PM
DyerMaker66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mehar View Post
Some people have short memory. Rick Nash is definetly on my team. His stats suffered because he played for a terrible team in Columbus the last several years. He played very good hockey in 2010, and he will definetely be there again in 2014.
Yes, some people do: I recall him playing like he couldn't care less for his entire career in Columbus, I recall him playing like crap on the same line as the best player in the world, and I see him as currently irrelevant on another underperforming team. Some people like to forget all that though.

Old
02-24-2013, 11:10 PM
DyerMaker66

Quote:
In your opinion Jack, who will get that sixth spot? IMO I think Weber, Keith, Pietrangelo, Letang, and Drew Doughty are all going to have spots. That sixth one for me is a bit open.

Seabs and Danny G look like good picks and I don't really hate this list though I disagree a bit. I think its Seabs because of the Chicago connection and the fact that he's already been there and done that. The tough part is going to be balancing vets vs. younger roster players. Last time around Stevie Y and his crew did a heck of a job setting up there team mixing in young talent where needed and vets when it counted. The bottom six for Canada will be difficult to choose and the sixth spot is a question AFAIC
I know the question wasn't directed at me, but M. Staal ftw!

Closed Thread