HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

12'/13' Marlies Part I|36-20-2-6|Prospects stepping up with the NHL back.

Closed Thread

Old
03-06-2013, 12:53 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

vCash: 500
Abbot's first, aka beautiful one timer:

Abbot's second:

Seriously if he can keep his work ethic and conditioning up, we might have a lite version of a cory conacher in our hands.

This is the first one to tie it up for us, by Ryan Hamilton:

03-06-2013, 12:57 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Kyle Cicerella ‏@KyleTheReporter
Marlies lead 5-2 after 40. Abbot 2 goals, Hamilton and Ranger goals and assist each, Colborne, Gardiner Zigomanis 2 assists apiece

Good to see our young ones are producing

Old
03-06-2013, 01:11 PM
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
Kyle Cicerella ‏@KyleTheReporter
Marlies lead 5-2 after 40. Abbot 2 goals, Hamilton and Ranger goals and assist each, Colborne, Gardiner Zigomanis 2 assists apiece

Good to see our young ones are producing
Are you watching?

If so, how are Blacker and Ryan doing?

Old
03-06-2013, 01:16 PM
BertCorbeau

I'm curious about Abbot .. Has he shown some decent promise this year? Enough to warrant a resigning?

Old
03-06-2013, 01:16 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieLeafs View Post
Are you watching?

If so, how are Blacker and Ryan doing?
No listening to on radio unfortunately. Just got in to check it up.

Old
03-06-2013, 01:19 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by BertCorbeau View Post
I'm curious about Abbot .. Has he shown some decent promise this year? Enough to warrant a resigning?
From what games I've seen from the marlies I've really liked Abbot. He wasn't getting much of a shot due to the depth but whenever he's given the chance he has excelled.

Old
03-06-2013, 02:33 PM
Guy Boucher

vCash: 420
I was beginning to lose hope in Jesse Blacker but he has really taken his game up a level. Good for him....he's always had the tools.

As for Abbott - he is a player. Tremendous offensive skill and awareness. He's small but he's pretty strong on his skates. I was hoping the Leafs gave him a shot to replace Frattin when he got injured. Hopefully the Leafs management start to see how good this guy can be.

Edit: One more thing about Abbott: He will look better in the NHL than in the AHL. He style of play is to draw in the opposition and then feed his teammates, so with better players around him he'll look even better.

Old
03-06-2013, 02:38 PM
edruga

vCash: 666
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Boucher View Post
I was beginning to lose hope in Jesse Blacker but he has really taken his game up a level. Good for him....he's always had the tools.

As for Abbott - he is a player. Tremendous offensive skill and awareness. He's small but he's pretty strong on his skates. I was hoping the Leafs gave him a shot to replace Frattin when he got injured. Hopefully the Leafs management start to see how good this guy can be.

Edit: One more thing about Abbott: He will look better in the NHL than in the AHL. He style of play is to draw in the opposition and then feed his teammates, so with better players around him he'll look even better.
That is exciting to hear, Mr. Bond villain.

Old
03-06-2013, 03:10 PM
BertCorbeau

Quote:
From what games I've seen from the marlies I've really liked Abbot. He wasn't getting much of a shot due to the depth but whenever he's given the chance he has excelled.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Boucher View Post

Good to hear, I remember being excited after we signed him based on his style of play .. He's got some wheels, no? That would be beneficial at the NHL level, especially if he's strong on his skates

I hope they hang on to him going forward, could be an excellent late bloomer

Old
03-07-2013, 09:44 AM
SteveV*

A lot of misinformation about how Gardiner is playing, heard Eakins on radio this AM. Said Gardiner is "absolutely ready" to come up, he's "playing great" and knows its just a numbers game at moment. Sounded very happy with Gardiner's game.

Old
03-07-2013, 10:35 AM
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveV View Post
A lot of misinformation about how Gardiner is playing, heard Eakins on radio this AM. Said Gardiner is "absolutely ready" to come up, he's "playing great" and knows its just a numbers game at moment. Sounded very happy with Gardiner's game.
People don't always know what they're looking at, or what they're supposed to be looking for.

They have opinions, whether right or wrong..

Old
03-07-2013, 10:50 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

He's been playing very well the past few games, he's taken it on himself to get to the offensive zones more and also when the team is down take it upon himself. However I am still not sure about his defensive game, not yet. I've kept around 3 of the last 5 games in my view so I can't be certain.

Old
03-07-2013, 11:01 AM
SteveV*

No doubt still a work in progress on D, but that goes for half our NHL D now, so.... Gardiner brings things to the table we need, paired with a Fraser, he would be dynamic and a real boost. I've never been one that wants to trade everyone when we lose, think everything is perfect when we win. Our D is lacking something right now, wins don't gloss over that reality. Time for Jake to come back where he belongs.

Old
03-07-2013, 11:55 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveV View Post
No doubt still a work in progress on D, but that goes for half our NHL D now, so.... Gardiner brings things to the table we need, paired with a Fraser, he would be dynamic and a real boost. I've never been one that wants to trade everyone when we lose, think everything is perfect when we win. Our D is lacking something right now, wins don't gloss over that reality. Time for Jake to come back where he belongs.
I can understand and agree with this sentiment even though I am not for it as much. We do need a bit of a change up. Still annoyed at this Carlyle-Liles mystery.

Old
03-07-2013, 12:06 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
He's been playing very well the past few games, he's taken it on himself to get to the offensive zones more and also when the team is down take it upon himself. However I am still not sure about his defensive game, not yet. I've kept around 3 of the last 5 games in my view so I can't be certain.
If you can get the puck out of your zone who cares about the defensive game.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
Old
03-07-2013, 12:25 PM
Interactif

Couple of quotes by Dallas a few weeks ago on Gardiner.

Quote:
“He can play in the NHL right now, but it’s not as simple as that,” Eakins told the Marlies official website following practice Tuesday. “He’s got to be the best guy every night (on your AHL team); the big team has to have a hole for you; you have to be able to take somebody’s spot out of that NHL roster and that’s what pro sports is all about. There’s always somebody coming for your ice time and you can never take it for granted.”
However:

Eakins believes the more Gardiner plays in the AHL, the better it will be for him in the long run.

Quote:
“Jake, he just needed to play,” Eakins explained. “These injuries like a concussion … it’s different than a knee or a shoulder. A guy hurts his shoulder, we’re absolutely destroying this guy on the bike (for conditioning), you get them on the ice we’re just killing them so they’re ready when they come back.

“When you get anything with your head they do nothing, they do absolutely nothing until they’re symptom free. They lose conditioning, they lose timing and you can’t just throw on your skates and practice a couple times and be ready to play.”

Old
03-07-2013, 12:37 PM
SteveV*

Ya, lets cling to what Eakins said weeks ago as opposed to 4 hours ago. Man talk about old news, try to keep up.

Old
03-07-2013, 12:41 PM
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

Gardiner isn't being challenged at the AHL level. He's too good for that level, and you see him trying to do too much sometimes. He needs to be up.

The Kostka experiment should be over, and Holzer should be sent back down. Gardiner should be up full time, and depending on merit/who we're playing, rotating Liles and Komi should start NOW, especially if we're looking to deal one or both, so we can drum up some interest around the league, prior to the deadline.

Old
03-07-2013, 12:49 PM
SteveV*

Hayes on TSN just now (not weeks ago) said only disappointment so far is Gardiner not called up because he is clearly needed.

Some people seem to forget Jake isn't in the minors for seasoning, he was hurt, the guy was a given prior.

Old
03-07-2013, 03:24 PM
FreeBird
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Gardiner isn't being challenged at the AHL level. He's too good for that level, and you see him trying to do too much sometimes. He needs to be up.

The Kostka experiment should be over, and Holzer should be sent back down. Gardiner should be up full time, and depending on merit/who we're playing, rotating Liles and Komi should start NOW, especially if we're looking to deal one or both, so we can drum up some interest around the league, prior to the deadline.
Guess you didn't see the game, he was caught up the ice and turned over the puck in his own end leading directly to a goal. He'll have to clean up his game or he won't play for Carlyle.

Old
03-07-2013, 03:37 PM
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeBird View Post
Guess you didn't see the game, he was caught up the ice and turned over the puck in his own end leading directly to a goal. He'll have to clean up his game or he won't play for Carlyle.
No, I saw it, it's just that I understand that every player makes mistakes, and 1 mistake doesn't define a player. Not sure why you think it does.

Old
03-07-2013, 04:01 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeBird View Post
Quote:
No, I saw it, it's just that I understand that every player makes mistakes, and 1 mistake doesn't define a player. Not sure why you think it does.
I watched the NHL team last night. Wasn't a single mistake made by the defense.

I was especially impressed with their ability to move the puck out of the zone.

Old
03-07-2013, 06:08 PM
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
I watched the NHL team last night. Wasn't a single mistake made by the defense.

I was especially impressed with their ability to move the puck out of the zone.

Old
03-07-2013, 06:26 PM
zeke
#freewilly

If we keep good players in the minors long enough, they will never make a turnover in the nhl.

Old
03-07-2013, 07:05 PM
bbgobie

Quote:
I guess you guys missed Phaneuf having control of the puck along the boards below the hash marks with time and no pressure but confused so he slapped it around behind the net to the other side for a turnover and almost a goal.

Seriously? Perfect? No team's D is.

Gardiner coming up is up to Carlye and Nonis, but man, to see the Leaf D was perfect in a game? haha....

Closed Thread