HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

12'/13' Marlies Part I|36-20-2-6|Prospects stepping up with the NHL back.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-10-2013, 10:38 PM
  #401
Small Brain Presence
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 379
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
Ashton plays a pro game, if you are expecting top 6 points, fancy moves, stick skills you will be disappointed.

He's the typical 3rd line grinder, really plays with an edge. Seems to be involved in a pushing match after every whistle. Will not be a favourite to play against.

Joe Colborne didn't get a point today, but don't let that fool you. As his points per game ratio have improved lately will testify to this, he looks filled out, faster, though he will never be mistaken for a speedster, his foot speed is better than than last year. Probably working on things Underhill has instilled in him. I think he will benefit from a winger that can shoot the puck. Scott and Carrick are not really on his level, and his passes seemed to be wasted. Starting to get used to seeing him shield his body between the puck and the opposition, he did that effectively today. Could see him being an effective cycle player in the NHL.

Ross was the biggest relegation of the game, was wondering when we would see why we moved Hayes to get this pick? Today was the first time why I could see why the Leafs were so high on him.

3 of the goals scored today had him squarely in the middle of it, he's a player that is not afraid to stand in front of the net, and this will endear him to RC or Eakins one day, Eakins rewarded him with ice time for this today. He's more in the build of Matt Cooke rather than Marchand IMO. Surprisingly he did not agitate today, that's a part of his game he can still build on.


Even unsophisticated Ron Wilson fans know that the word is "revelation," not "relegation."

Small Brain Presence is offline  
Old
03-10-2013, 10:57 PM
  #402
The Mentalist
A Hockey Mentalist
 
The Mentalist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: North York
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,003
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Small Brain Presence View Post
Even unsophisticated Ron Wilson fans know that the word is "revelation," not "relegation."
Thanks for allowing me to explain my typing lately, since getting my new Macbook Air, the auto correct is correcting and misspelling words for me.

I haven't learned how to disable it yet. Obviously it is revelation, but it corrected it to regulation for some reason. Happens to a lot of words. Not sure I like this Mac format, but that's what you get for choosing Mac.

The Mentalist is offline  
Old
03-11-2013, 08:17 AM
  #403
SteveV*
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 6,212
vCash: 500
Wow, a year ago everyone was saying Ashton had lots of upside, had offensive skills to go along with his big frame. Now, he's nothing more than grinder fodder. Meanwhile, a guy better than Holzer, Aulie, is cementing himself in the NHL. What a steal! I'll say it now, Ashton is an IF prospect, he may never be more than Christian Hanson.

SteveV* is offline  
Old
03-11-2013, 08:19 AM
  #404
Jerkini
Registered User
 
Jerkini's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,675
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveV View Post
Wow, a year ago everyone was saying Ashton had lots of upside, had offensive skills to go along with his big frame. Now, he's nothing more than grinder fodder. Meanwhile, a guy better than Holzer, Aulie, is cementing himself in the NHL. What a steal! I'll say it now, Ashton is an IF prospect, he may never be more than Christian Hanson.
I saw enough of Ashton last season to know immediately it was going to be a terrible trade for our team.

Jerkini is offline  
Old
03-11-2013, 08:20 AM
  #405
SprDaVE
Registered User
 
SprDaVE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,321
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveV View Post
Wow, a year ago everyone was saying Ashton had lots of upside, had offensive skills to go along with his big frame. Now, he's nothing more than grinder fodder. Meanwhile, a guy better than Holzer, Aulie, is cementing himself in the NHL. What a steal! I'll say it now, Ashton is an IF prospect, he may never be more than Christian Hanson.
I say he'll be in the NHL next year. Permanently. No joke.

He's impressed me a lot this year. He hasn't scored as much as hoped, of course, but he's done everything else really well.

He hits, he skates, rarely ever takes a shift off and has decent skill to go with a solid 2-way game.

He fits the Carlyle school of hockey to a tee as a third or fourth liner. Let him work his way up the lineup and see how it goes.

SprDaVE is offline  
Old
03-11-2013, 08:23 AM
  #406
SprDaVE
Registered User
 
SprDaVE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,321
vCash: 500
Anyway, good see Brad Ross finally getting some ice-time and capitalizing.

I hope he finally gets a chance to play a bit more consistenly.

SprDaVE is offline  
Old
03-11-2013, 08:25 AM
  #407
SprDaVE
Registered User
 
SprDaVE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,321
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerkini View Post
I saw enough of Ashton last season to know immediately it was going to be a terrible trade for our team.
You mean in the NHL right? He was great with the Marlies.

SprDaVE is offline  
Old
03-11-2013, 11:07 AM
  #408
SteveV*
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 6,212
vCash: 500
The fact Carlyle didn't even bother to invite to training camp after he played with big club last year tells all we need to know about Ashton getting the call.

SteveV* is offline  
Old
03-11-2013, 11:09 AM
  #409
SteveV*
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 6,212
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SprDaVE View Post
I say he'll be in the NHL next year. Permanently. No joke.

He's impressed me a lot this year. He hasn't scored as much as hoped, of course, but he's done everything else really well.

He hits, he skates, rarely ever takes a shift off and has decent skill to go with a solid 2-way game.

He fits the Carlyle school of hockey to a tee as a third or fourth liner. Let him work his way up the lineup and see how it goes.
I don't like black and whites, not saying no chance just people acting as though a given, Ashton isn't even close. You know who Carlyle would absolutely LOVE? Keith Aulie.

SteveV* is offline  
Old
03-11-2013, 11:14 AM
  #410
ULF_55
Global Moderator
 
ULF_55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Mountain Standard Ti
Posts: 57,911
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveV View Post
The fact Carlyle didn't even bother to invite to training camp after he played with big club last year tells all we need to know about Ashton getting the call.
Well to be fair where was he going to play? He's scoring at D'Amigo's pace? He's the same age as D'Amigo, and D'Amigo hasn't been employed in a scoring until perhaps lately.

No rush, let them take majority of ice time in the minors and show some domination.

__________________
http://kuklaskorner.com/index.php/ps...e_corsi_issues

Desjardins estimates that about 40% of the game is captured by Corsi analysis.
ULF_55 is offline  
Old
03-11-2013, 11:17 AM
  #411
SteveV*
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 6,212
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
Well to be fair where was he going to play? He's scoring at D'Amigo's pace? He's the same age as D'Amigo, and D'Amigo hasn't been employed in a scoring until perhaps lately.

No rush, let them take majority of ice time in the minors and show some domination.
There is time, but not every prospect makes it, and I think we may have lost that trade.

SteveV* is offline  
Old
03-11-2013, 11:21 AM
  #412
Guy Boucher
Registered User
 
Guy Boucher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 2,988
vCash: 370
D'amigo has better defensive awareness than Ashton and I believe better offensive abilities, but has not been given a chance to show his offence.

Ashton relies entirely on his size and speed and even that isn't enough to help him produce at the AHL level. He doesn't have the power to be a 4th liner and has zero offensive awareness so he can't be a 3rd liner.

I think he'll eventually be a 4th liner for a coach not named Carlyle but it will be when he's much older and thicker (like when he's 27 and has a man's body).

Guy Boucher is online now  
Old
03-11-2013, 11:27 AM
  #413
Snip Genos
GO LEAFS GO
 
Snip Genos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 818
vCash: 500
Ashton is next to impossible to stop along the boards when he has the puck hes a beast and could be a great 4th liner for us right now but hes still developing and the leafs already have good depth. But I see him as a future 3rd liner for sure.

Snip Genos is offline  
Old
03-11-2013, 12:16 PM
  #414
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die
 
Leaf Rocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Fredericton, NB
Country: India
Posts: 71,900
vCash: 500
Ashton is a young PWF, he has plenty of time to fix his offense first. His defensive game, and other aspects of the game is NHL ready. He'll be a good player for us in the future if we give him his time.

__________________
Leaf Rocket is offline  
Old
03-11-2013, 12:37 PM
  #415
The Mentalist
A Hockey Mentalist
 
The Mentalist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: North York
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,003
vCash: 500
The competition between Ross and Ashton will be interesting for years to come. Ross is 2 year younger but he showed me a lot of promise yesterday, he's pretty thick for a short guy, some nice hands.

Biggs, Leivo, joining Ross, D'amigo, and Devane will give us some depth for years to come.

But operative word here Ross was not a wasted pick.

Of note, Mckegg was noticable also.

The Mentalist is offline  
Old
03-11-2013, 01:39 PM
  #416
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die
 
Leaf Rocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Fredericton, NB
Country: India
Posts: 71,900
vCash: 500
Mckegg is doign well after Eakins benched him for questioning his drive. Good to see.

Ross is coming back from an injury and conditioning stint in the ECHL. I am glad he's upto to speed, now let's see if he can keep this pace up.

Leaf Rocket is offline  
Old
03-11-2013, 02:13 PM
  #417
SplitLeaf
Registered User
 
SplitLeaf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Toronto, On
Posts: 134
vCash: 500
They are all really young guys still. They are not 1st round picks so they take more time to develop. Its not like they have been in the minors for a long time. They are either in there 1st or 2nd year of pro hockey.

SplitLeaf is offline  
Old
03-11-2013, 04:11 PM
  #418
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die
 
Leaf Rocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Fredericton, NB
Country: India
Posts: 71,900
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splinter View Post
They are all really young guys still. They are not 1st round picks so they take more time to develop. Its not like they have been in the minors for a long time. They are either in there 1st or 2nd year of pro hockey.
Indeed. Everyone takes their own time, no one can easily get into their game or touch that untapped potential immediately.

Also awesome avatar where did you get that lol

Leaf Rocket is offline  
Old
03-11-2013, 04:28 PM
  #419
Jerkini
Registered User
 
Jerkini's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,675
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SprDaVE View Post
You mean in the NHL right? He was great with the Marlies.
Of course.

Jerkini is offline  
Old
03-11-2013, 06:16 PM
  #420
SplitLeaf
Registered User
 
SplitLeaf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Toronto, On
Posts: 134
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
Indeed. Everyone takes their own time, no one can easily get into their game or touch that untapped potential immediately.

Also awesome avatar where did you get that lol
Found the original picture I took it from. Just classic phil.


SplitLeaf is offline  
Old
03-11-2013, 06:43 PM
  #421
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game
 
ErnieLeafs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Windsor, Ont.
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,321
vCash: 500
I was on the Ross train when we drafted him. Got to see quite a few Portland games on FSNW, and really liked how he excelled in his role.

Good to see Eakins using him properly. Hopefully it continues. When Ross plays with confidence, he's an animal.

ErnieLeafs is offline  
Old
03-11-2013, 07:05 PM
  #422
BertCorbeau
Moderator
 
BertCorbeau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,786
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splinter View Post
Found the original picture I took it from. Just classic phil.

Phil the hipster?

Or Phil the professor?

BertCorbeau is online now  
Old
03-11-2013, 07:51 PM
  #423
67Cup
Registered User
 
67Cup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 2,183
vCash: 500
I'm glad Ross played well. It's a bit of a relief actually. But let's not get ahead of ourselves here. It was one good game in the AHL, which admittedly is an improvement. But with Ross, Devane, and, for that matter, Leivo and Biggs, let's see them at least become productive regulars in the AHL before we anoint them the future of the Leafs

67Cup is online now  
Old
03-11-2013, 07:57 PM
  #424
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game
 
ErnieLeafs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Windsor, Ont.
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,321
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Cup View Post
I'm glad Ross played well. It's a bit of a relief actually. But let's not get ahead of ourselves here. It was one good game in the AHL, which admittedly is an improvement. But with Ross, Devane, and, for that matter, Leivo and Biggs, let's see them at least become productive regulars in the AHL before we anoint them the future of the Leafs
Not sure who you're referring to in saying that people "anoint them the future of the Leafs". People are simply stating that he had a great game, and hope to see more.

I've watched lots of his play, going back to his draft year, and his last game was the kind that he used to have pretty regularly in Junior. He's complimentary player, in that he doesn't create his own offense. He rides shotgun, and plays a support role at his best, and also provides spark to the team on a shift-to-shift basis. He's at his best when he's on the forecheck, and forcing mistakes. He has good speed, and a good package of offensive skill, for a guy of his nature. He plays with a major chip on his shoulder, and has a definite mean streak to him. A classic example of a guy who plays like he's 10ft tall. I hope he continues to build on his last game. Again, confidence is key with him. When he gets rolling, he's hard to throw off his game.

I'm just happy to hear that he's starting to get some time at the AHL level, and apparently making the most of it. I look forward to his development. He may take a few years, but I think we have a player in Ross.

I think a line of Ross-Colborne-Biggs could possibly be a good grind line, with some good potential to chip in points.

ErnieLeafs is offline  
Old
03-11-2013, 09:20 PM
  #425
67Cup
Registered User
 
67Cup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 2,183
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieLeafs View Post
Not sure who you're referring to in saying that people "anoint them the future of the Leafs". People are simply stating that he had a great game, and hope to see more.

I've watched lots of his play, going back to his draft year, and his last game was the kind that he used to have pretty regularly in Junior. He's complimentary player, in that he doesn't create his own offense. He rides shotgun, and plays a support role at his best, and also provides spark to the team on a shift-to-shift basis. He's at his best when he's on the forecheck, and forcing mistakes. He has good speed, and a good package of offensive skill, for a guy of his nature. He plays with a major chip on his shoulder, and has a definite mean streak to him. A classic example of a guy who plays like he's 10ft tall. I hope he continues to build on his last game. Again, confidence is key with him. When he gets rolling, he's hard to throw off his game.

I'm just happy to hear that he's starting to get some time at the AHL level, and apparently making the most of it. I look forward to his development. He may take a few years, but I think we have a player in Ross.

I think a line of Ross-Colborne-Biggs could possibly be a good grind line, with some good potential to chip in points.
I actually was thinking of opinions like this one from Interactif "Biggs, Leivo, joining Ross, D'amigo, and Devane will give us some depth for years to come."

But the remark could also apply to the bolded line in your own quotation.

67Cup is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:34 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.