HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

12'/13' Marlies Part I|36-20-2-6|Prospects stepping up with the NHL back.

Closed Thread

Old
03-24-2013, 10:28 PM
will13

vCash: 500
Is carter Ashton injured?

Old
03-24-2013, 11:02 PM
Guy Boucher

vCash: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Cup View Post
Big guys with long strides can look slow and also appear to be floating. The floating accusation was made against the Big M, Frank Mahovlich, for example. Not that Colborne is going to be another Frank Mahovlich! But from my own admittedly limited viewing, I don't think he is too slow to make the NHL.
It's not about his speed. The truth is that he does back check (usually).

The problem is that he stands around in the defensive zone without aim. His man is seemingly always open for a chance. He just has a really bad read of the defensive zone.

Old
03-24-2013, 11:04 PM
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Boucher View Post
It's not about his speed. The truth is that he does back check (usually).

The problem is that he stands around in the defensive zone without aim. His man is seemingly always open for a chance. He just has a really bad read of the defensive zone.
Then he's standing around in the right place, leads Marlies fwds with a +10

Old
03-24-2013, 11:59 PM
tml145

Colborne is our best prospect after Reily
i dont consider Kadri and Gardner prospects anymore
after Colborne our next best center prospect is Greg Mckegg
Greg Mckegg is a great name but he is 2 to 3 years away from the NHL if at all
Colborne will be in the NHL next year

Old
03-25-2013, 12:29 AM
Duffman955

Quote:
Originally Posted by tml145 View Post
Colborne is our best prospect after Reily
i dont consider Kadri and Gardner prospects anymore
after Colborne our next best center prospect is Greg Mckegg
Greg Mckegg is a great name but he is 2 to 3 years away from the NHL if at all
Colborne will be in the NHL next year
I think any of Blacker/Percy/Finn may be better prospects than Mckegg. All have solid potential.

Old
03-25-2013, 12:32 AM
Phion Keneuf
Top Dawg Ent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffman955 View Post
I think any of Blacker/Percy/Finn may be better prospects than Mckegg. All have solid potential.
He said center prospect

Old
03-25-2013, 12:35 AM
Duffman955

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phion Keneuf View Post
He said center prospect
Forget everything I said.

Old
03-25-2013, 12:44 AM
johnnyutah

any highlights from tonights game?

Old
03-25-2013, 01:12 AM
Sergei Berezin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebombers View Post
Yeah.

Also, I had completely forgotten that Joe Colborne is just 23! The way some of you speak of him makes it seem like he's in a make or break type of season. He's got room for at least two more years in the AHL, with maybe the 2nd one having him bounce between the NHL and AHL, but man... he's still got a lot of time to grow. I really want to take it slow with him, too. His progression has been slow, but there's no doubting that there HAS been progression year after year in different parts of his game.

How is Colborne going to be in the NHL next year anyway (for those saying such)? Where would he fit?

Last edited by Sergei Berezin: 03-25-2013 at 01:21 AM. Reason: Fixed age :facepalm:
Old
03-25-2013, 01:14 AM
Phion Keneuf
Top Dawg Ent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergei Berezin View Post
Yeah.

Also, I had completely forgotten that Joe Colborne is just 22! He turned 22 at the end of January, too. The way some of you speak of him makes it seem like he's in a make or break type of season. He's got room for at least two more years in the AHL, with maybe the 2nd one having him bounce between the NHL and AHL, but man... he's still got a lot of time to grow. I really want to take it slow with him, too. His progression has been slow, but there's no doubting that there HAS been progression year after year in different parts of his game.

How is Colborne going to be in the NHL next year anyway (for those saying such)? Where would he fit?
He's 23. Just turned 23 in Jan

Old
03-25-2013, 01:20 AM
Sergei Berezin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phion Keneuf View Post
He's 23. Just turned 23 in Jan
Well, ****.

Point still stands.

Old
03-25-2013, 01:29 AM
tml145

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergei Berezin View Post
Yeah.

Also, I had completely forgotten that Joe Colborne is just 23! The way some of you speak of him makes it seem like he's in a make or break type of season. He's got room for at least two more years in the AHL, with maybe the 2nd one having him bounce between the NHL and AHL, but man... he's still got a lot of time to grow. I really want to take it slow with him, too. His progression has been slow, but there's no doubting that there HAS been progression year after year in different parts of his game.

he will be given a chance in training camp, and Carlyle will fall in love with him

Last edited by tml145: 03-25-2013 at 02:49 AM.
Old
03-25-2013, 02:11 AM
Sittler 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by tml145 View Post
he will be given a chance in training camp, and Carlyle will fall in love with jim
Jim who?

Old
03-25-2013, 02:32 AM
Phion Keneuf
Top Dawg Ent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sittler 27 View Post
Jim who?
Jim, Joe, Bob, Sam, all the same thing.

Old
03-25-2013, 02:49 AM
tml145

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sittler 27 View Post
Jim who?

him.

Old
03-25-2013, 06:06 AM
Guy Boucher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
Then he's standing around in the right place, leads Marlies fwds with a +10
Plus minus is the definitive statistic on defensive prowess? Please make that statement so that we understand where you're coming from.

You can practically pick any Marlies game at random and find Colborne's defensive comatose. I don't have time to pull out other videos but I posted this a few weeks ago. I don't even have to pull out his infamous Bruins' shift.

Quote:
Look for yourself: At 35 seconds (just awful defensive coverage). Then at 4:05. Then at 5:12

http://video.mapleleafs.nhl.com/vide...ed-share-video

There's plenty more where that came from. The funny thing is people - even today - complain incessantly about Kadri's turnovers and he wasn't even a quarter as bad as Colborne is.

Clearly someone in management likes him, but I bet you Carlyle takes one good look at him and sends him packing. There's a reason Carlyle didn't invite him to camp.

Old
03-25-2013, 08:48 AM
Interactif

Quote:
Plus minus is the definitive statistic on defensive prowess? Please make that statement so that we understand where you're coming from.

You can practically pick any Marlies game at random and find Colborne's defensive comatose. I don't have time to pull out other videos but I posted this a few weeks ago. I don't even have to pull out his infamous Bruins' shift.
In Colborne's case it does, he is the #1C with the Marlies now that Kadri is up, Kadri was +5 and Joe is +10. That's a significant snapshot of strong 2 way play. Eakins has both of them playing well positionally, seems to me you have concentrated on highlights as the basis of your analysis. Rather than watching a full game.

Joe and Nazem always go right back to the net when the other team has possession of the puck. As a Center it is not your job to run around the defensive zone chasing the puck. You collapse to the net and go into the corners to support the defence when need be. I suggest watching a full game, instead of selecting a few highlights for your critique. I can pull out selective shifts of what are thought of as good defensive fwds to fit square pegs into round holes also, but I'd rather judge a player on watching an entire game. Joe is a very conscientious player in his own zone.

This is almost like the discussion I had with someone that blasted Nazem for being a poor defensive player earlier this year, I disagreed then, and I disagree now for Joe. Both are not soft one dimensional offensive players.

Old
03-25-2013, 09:02 AM
SprDaVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebombers View Post
Yes.

Old
03-25-2013, 09:05 AM
SprDaVE

Colborne is not going to win a Selke or be on the PK but he's definitely not bad defensively. He's average but not bad.

He does need to find another gear in his game. It's good that he plays a calm game but sometimes he's too calm, which probably turns off a few of the watchers.

Eakins has praised Colborne and has given him a leadership position with the Marlies. Eakins is not afraid to speak up against a player that is struggling or not playing up to his potential, so I think it's safe to say that Colborne has played really well.

Old
03-25-2013, 09:16 AM
Guy Boucher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
In Colborne's case it does, he is the #1C with the Marlies now that Kadri is up, Kadri was +5 and Joe is +10. That's a significant snapshot of strong 2 way play. Eakins has both of them playing well positionally, seems to me you have concentrated on highlights as the basis of your analysis. Rather than watching a full game.

Joe and Nazem always go right back to the net when the other team has possession of the puck. As a Center it is not your job to run around the defensive zone chasing the puck. You collapse to the net and go into the corners to support the defence when need be. I suggest watching a full game, instead of selecting a few highlights for your critique. I can pull out selective shifts of what are thought of as good defensive fwds to fit square pegs into round holes also, but I'd rather judge a player on watching an entire game. Joe is a very conscientious player in his own zone.

This is almost like the discussion I had with someone that blasted Nazem for being a poor defensive player earlier this year, I disagreed then, and I disagree now for Joe. Both are not soft one dimensional offensive players.
Nazem has the propensity to be lazy defensively. Joe is inept defensively. There's a significant difference there. Look at the one clip where he is positioned properly in the defensive zone but has no awareness of the players around him.

I'd like nothing more than for Joe to be a better option. But he needs to either be converted to a winger or better learn to track his opponents in his own zone. He also needs to learn to create space for himself in the offensive zone. He can score on the PP because he has space. He still struggles finding space during 5-on-5 play. If he figures out either those things or both, I can see him being an NHL option. But right now I wouldn't hold my breath.

Oh, and as a former Marlies season ticket holder I've seen plenty of "full games". Keep your macho-scout-wannabeism for someone else.

Old
03-25-2013, 09:22 AM
Stringer Bell

I read once somewhere from someone who actually follows the Marlies closely that the system that Eakins implements basically means that we won't ever see any of our forwards have any amazing years statistically. While it may not be good for the individual, it's great for the team. And that's what really matters.

But for everyone complaining about the lack of offense from players like Ashton, D'amigo, Abbott, and Colborne (over the year), etc, he was basically saying that put those players on any other team and you could basically add another 15 points to their point total. I forgot where I read that and I haven't seen too many Marlies games but it wouldn't entirely surprise me.

Look at the stats of Keith Aucoin and Tim Connolly compared to where they would normally be at and how Kadri has played in the NHL. Really wouldn't surprise me to see D'amigo as a 60 point AHL player on another team or Colborne as an 80 point one, etc.

And I'm not at all saying that this is bad for the players. Just that stats aren't everything. From everything I've read Ashton for instance has been great for the Marlies all year.

Old
03-25-2013, 10:20 AM
Dwight K Schrute

Paul Hendrick ‏@HennyTweets 7s
Still waiting to confirm that jesse blacker has been called up as a 7th defenceman. #tmltalk

Old
03-25-2013, 10:30 AM
SprDaVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight K Schrute View Post
Paul Hendrick ‏@HennyTweets 7s
Still waiting to confirm that jesse blacker has been called up as a 7th defenceman. #tmltalk
Good stuff.

If Kostka can't step it up, we could see him play a game or two.

Old
03-25-2013, 10:39 AM
calcal798

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprDaVE View Post
Good stuff.

If Kostka can't step it up, we could see him play a game or two.
Good to hear. I'd rather see Blacker then Kostka either way. I've seen enough of Kostka.

Old
03-25-2013, 10:43 AM
G51 K81*

Terrible news. Always hated the way Blacker played on the Marlies. You thought guys like Holzer gave the puck away in his own end? Blacker coughs it up more, but in the AHL. Even his offensive game is non-existent in the AHL.

Closed Thread