HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

12'/13' Marlies Part I|36-20-2-6|Prospects stepping up with the NHL back.

Closed Thread

Old
02-21-2013, 09:24 AM
ForSpareParts*

vCash: 500
The Marlies' Shootout Ability is a dog's breakfast of skill

As far as I can tell.

I watched the Houston / Toronto game Shootout and I couldn't believe how sad the skill level was.

Colbourne
Zigomanis
Connolly

All terrible. Colbourne did his best Jason Alison impersonation. If that is our organizational depth then we are in big trouble. I think that who we have (Marlies grads) are the best we have.

Is that fair? Did you see that Shootout?

Old
02-21-2013, 09:31 AM
Leafidelity
Its that new Toronto

vCash: 1775
How is a shootout a testament to organizational depth?

Old
02-21-2013, 09:31 AM
416Leafer

Marlies took some HUGE hits after the lockout started.

#1 Goalie (Scrivens) = gone
#1 Centre (Aucoin) = gone
Two top 6 forwards (Kadri/Frattin) = gone
#1 D + two other top 4 D (Kostka/Holzer/Fraser) = gone
Solid 3rd line agitator (Komarov) = gone

They've been sliding in the standings hard since the lockout ended. They went from legitimate Calder Cup contenders to a below average team in a matter of days.

I don't really mind, since this gives other guys like Colborne, Ashton, McKegg, Blacker, etc more ice-time and responsibility. But the team still lost a ton of its top end talent and overall depth.

Old
02-21-2013, 09:54 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 416Leafer View Post
Marlies took some HUGE hits after the lockout started.

#1 Goalie (Scrivens) = gone
#1 Centre (Aucoin) = gone
Two top 6 forwards (Kadri/Frattin) = gone
#1 D + two other top 4 D (Kostka/Holzer/Fraser) = gone
Solid 3rd line agitator (Komarov) = gone

They've been sliding in the standings hard since the lockout ended. They went from legitimate Calder Cup contenders to a below average team in a matter of days.

I don't really mind, since this gives other guys like Colborne, Ashton, McKegg, Blacker, etc more ice-time and responsibility. But the team still lost a ton of its top end talent and overall depth.
Marlies were a veteran squad on defense before the NHL returned. Kostka, Holzer, Fraser were all key players along with Ranger none of them kids, most of them veterans.

Leading scorers haven't played with them since the lock-out and none of them were prospects (in the typical sense - 27 year old prospects are a-typical). Right now 27 year old Hamilton is their leading scorer with twice as many goals as the next goal scorer.

It is about developing playes not winning Calder Cups, so it is good that Colborne and Ashton et cetera will be getting more opportunities now.

The lack of defensive prospects on the Marlies is okay as their best bets are in Europe (junior aged) and in junior.

The New York Rangers are the most valuable NHL franchise at $1.2 billion, taking the top spot on the Forbes list for the first time since 2004.

The magazine said Tuesday that Montreal is second at $1.18 billion, followed by Toronto at $1.15 billion.
Old
02-21-2013, 10:13 AM
416Leafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
It is about developing playes not winning Calder Cups, so it is good that Colborne and Ashton et cetera will be getting more opportunities now.

The lack of defensive prospects on the Marlies is okay as their best bets are in Europe (junior aged) and in junior.
Yep, I agree. That's why I said I don't really mind since it's giving our young guys more opportunity.

Percy is gonna be AHL elligible next season, but beyond that I'm not too sure who will be available for the blueline? Finn and Rielly won't be AHL elligible for example.

Guys like Loov, Granberg, Nilsson, etc, would be elligible to come over from Europe (unless there are issues with Euro contracts?), and then some NCAA guys like MacWilliam, Everson, Knodel, etc would also be elligible. Those are all project prospects and they'd probably all require a few years at the AHL level before ever going to the NHL if ever, too bad Eakins will likely be gone by next season as he's shown to be pretty solid at developing our prospects. We'll probably see 1 of the above come to the AHL next season.

Old
02-21-2013, 10:17 AM
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by 416Leafer View Post
Yep, I agree. That's why I said I don't really mind since it's giving our young guys more opportunity.

Percy is gonna be AHL elligible next season, but beyond that I'm not too sure who will be available for the blueline? Finn and Rielly won't be AHL elligible for example.

Guys like Loov, Granberg, Nilsson, etc, would be elligible to come over from Europe (unless there are issues with Euro contracts?), and then some NCAA guys like MacWilliam, Everson, Knodel, etc would also be elligible. Those are all project prospects and they'd probably all require a few years at the AHL level before ever going to the NHL if ever, too bad Eakins will likely be gone by next season as he's shown to be pretty solid at developing our prospects. We'll probably see 1 of the above come to the AHL next season.
MacWilliam will probably be a Marlie. Knodel is only a Junior, so one more year from him at UNH.

Granberg may come over, but no, to both Loov and Nilsson, they need more development in Sweden.

Everson will only be a Sophmore, I believe. He has a long way to go.

Old
02-21-2013, 10:42 AM
Johny Drama

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieLeafs View Post
MacWilliam will probably be a Marlie. Knodel is only a Junior, so one more year from him at UNH.

Granberg may come over, but no, to both Loov and Nilsson, they need more development in Sweden.

Hope MacWilliam gets signed. Pretty much all positive reports we are getting from him. Not much upside, but a solid, tough, bottom pairing guy.

Old
02-21-2013, 10:53 AM
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Passenger View Post
Hope MacWilliam gets signed. Pretty much all positive reports we are getting from him. Not much upside, but a solid, tough, bottom pairing guy.
Even if he fills a spot on the Marlies blueline, and never makes the NHL, I wouldn't be mad.

Old
02-21-2013, 11:29 AM
Johny Drama

Quote:
Even if he fills a spot on the Marlies blueline, and never makes the NHL, I wouldn't be mad.
With all the defencemen we lost this year, have to think there is a good opportunity for this guy to step in and contribute with the Marlies next year.

Old
02-21-2013, 11:49 AM
hullsy47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Passenger View Post
With all the defencemen we lost this year, have to think there is a good opportunity for this guy to step in and contribute with the Marlies next year.
boston new what colborne was ......as well as tampa knowing what carter aston was ,,,,,longshots at best to be NHL regulars ,other than gardiner the best are on the leafs now

Old
02-21-2013, 11:59 AM
FreeBird
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

Everson and a couple of others got into some trouble and were kicked off the team.

Old
02-21-2013, 12:03 PM
darrylsittler27

Correction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TmlHockeyFan View Post

I think Biggs himself is worth the trade.
We traded up, Boston's 30th pick and our 2nd rounder to get Biggs.

Old
02-21-2013, 12:04 PM
416Leafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hullsy47 View Post
boston new what colborne was ......as well as tampa knowing what carter aston was ,,,,,longshots at best to be NHL regulars ,other than gardiner the best are on the leafs now
Ashton has a better chance at being a legitimate NHLer as opposed to Colborne. Ashton could be a productive 3rd liner, but I don't think Colborne could be.

Colborne pretty much has really good size, but then only moderate skill, not the best skater, and not the best defensively.

Ashton on the other hand also has size and only moderate skill, but is really strong defensively. 3rd line wingers also don't need speed as much as centres do, since they're typically working the boards, sitting in front of the oppositions net, etc, as opposed to controlling the play, chasing the other teams players, etc.

So I think we'll see Ashton up with the big club and sticking there eventually, though I'm not so sure about Colborne. Chiarellis a really smart/saavy GM too, so it wouldn't surprise me if they moved Colborne just as his trade value was still really high, but internally they were questioning his longterm NHL upside.

We also got Liles and part of the value located in Biggs in the Kaberle/Colborne trade. Seeing as Liles is essentially the equivalent of Kaberle, but slightly younger, it's still an ok trade.

Old
02-21-2013, 12:23 PM
ForSpareParts*

Yeah so I'm not so impressed with our AHL depth (skill in the forward position) because all the above mentioned players you're referring to are on D.

Colbourne and Ashton are not good enough even for a NHL 3rd line.

Apart from one player the Marlies Shootout skill looked beer league.

Old
02-21-2013, 12:50 PM
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by McClements New A View Post
Yeah so I'm not so impressed with our AHL depth (skill in the forward position) because all the above mentioned players you're referring to are on D.

You're using an awful, and super specific situation to measure skill.

Old
02-21-2013, 12:58 PM
The Winter Soldier

Percy will be a welcomed additition to the Marlies, I know his game is not a lot of sizzle for some fans, but I think this kid is going to be a stalwart on the Leafs for years to come. He makes the game look easy, if only Blacker had a little of what Percy had in the Ice Q dept. He would be in the NHL right now.

Old
02-21-2013, 01:08 PM
Marlboro

Quote:
Originally Posted by McClements New A View Post

your such a hater

Old
02-21-2013, 01:28 PM
AlienWorkShop
No Ben! No!

Despite the mixed reports we've been getting on Colborne all year, I think it's worth point out he's got 19 points in 18 games for 2013.

Ashton's offensive production isn't impressive, but he seems to be getting glowing reviews all year about his potential as a crasher/banger. Keep in mind we got Ashton for Keith Aulie, and Aulie is terrible (currently getting 12.5 min/g as the 6th D on a team 24th in goals against per game).

On that note... keep in mind we got Colborne (plus a 2nd round pick we turned into Liles and the 1st rounder we traded up for Biggs) for Kaberle, who wasn't necessarily going to fetch us a ransom in the first place.

D'Amigo's a player we haven't heard much about and his offensive production has fallen off pretty badly. Anyone able to provide a scouting report of his play this year?

Old
02-21-2013, 01:59 PM
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienWorkShop View Post
Despite the mixed reports we've been getting on Colborne all year, I think it's worth point out he's got 19 points in 18 games for 2013.

Ashton's offensive production isn't impressive, but he seems to be getting glowing reviews all year about his potential as a crasher/banger. Keep in mind we got Ashton for Keith Aulie, and Aulie is terrible (currently getting 12.5 min/g as the 6th D on a team 24th in goals against per game).

On that note... keep in mind we got Colborne (plus a 2nd round pick we turned into Liles and the 1st rounder we traded up for Biggs) for Kaberle, who wasn't necessarily going to fetch us a ransom in the first place.

D'Amigo's a player we haven't heard much about and his offensive production has fallen off pretty badly. Anyone able to provide a scouting report of his play this year?
Colborne still has time to round his game out. He's coming along slowly, and I guess it's what's to be expected with a lanky kid of 6'5. Strength will come with some muscle, and he already thinks the game at a high level. He may be a guy that is better in the NHL, than in the AHL. I remember him being far more dangerous in the games I saw him in the NHL, than I ever remember him being in AHL games I watched.

D'amigo and Deschamps haven't impressed me one bit. I figured they would come back to earth, after looking really good in last year's playoffs. I don't have high hopes for either of them.

Old
02-21-2013, 02:07 PM
darrylsittler27

Colbourne does seem to be not enough...

To be top 6 and not enough to be a checker.I see him in the NHL as a 3rd liner but not on a contender. Perhaps Ashton can be a bottom 6 guy,but a guy like Devane brings more grit and may have more upside offensively.The Marlies are bare now,except Gardiner whom we all know will back.

Reilly,Percy,Biggs,Leivo and Finn are the next wave.

Old
02-21-2013, 02:13 PM
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrylsittler27 View Post
To be top 6 and not enough to be a checker.I see him in the NHL as a 3rd liner but not on a contender. Perhaps Ashton can be a bottom 6 guy,but a guy like Devane brings more grit and may have more upside offensively.The Marlies are bare now,except Gardiner whom we all know will back.

Reilly,Percy,Biggs,Leivo and Finn are the next wave.
Devane DOES NOT have higher upside offensively than Ashton. Not even close.

Old
02-21-2013, 03:02 PM
mikebel111*
Optimistic/Patient

Quote:
Devane DOES NOT have higher upside offensively than Ashton. Not even close.
This, devane projects as a 4th liner, while ashton, if develops his offense, could be top 6. Ashton has tools for offense, his shot is decent, better skater, has a good forecheck

Old
02-21-2013, 03:14 PM
New Liskeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by hullsy47 View Post
I disagree. Ashton IMHO can certainlly play a checking line role in the NHL. He has size, can defintely skate, physical and actually has hands. His determination and will, along with his skill will make him an NHLer.

As far as Colborne, he is a great passer and has a good eye for the game. His size is most sought after, and is a better skater than many give him credit for. I still have hope for Joe.

Old
02-21-2013, 03:17 PM
New Liskeard

Quote:
Colborne still has time to round his game out. He's coming along slowly, and I guess it's what's to be expected with a lanky kid of 6'5. Strength will come with some muscle, and he already thinks the game at a high level. He may be a guy that is better in the NHL, than in the AHL. I remember him being far more dangerous in the games I saw him in the NHL, than I ever remember him being in AHL games I watched.

D'amigo and Deschamps haven't impressed me one bit. I figured they would come back to earth, after looking really good in last year's playoffs. I don't have high hopes for either of them.
Totally agree, and well said.

Old
02-23-2013, 03:14 PM
SteveV*

Quote:

Quite an argument, you're saying the guy we traded him for is playing regularly in the NHL while our guy isn't even close to cracking our lineup. What a steal!

Closed Thread