HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

12'/13' Marlies Part I|36-20-2-6|Prospects stepping up with the NHL back.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-24-2013, 04:46 PM
  #176
Grant
LL Genius
 
Grant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: London
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,701
vCash: 50
Opposing team scored a couple very late goals. Final score 5-4. Marlies win.

Grant is offline  
Old
02-24-2013, 05:00 PM
  #177
Hawaiinleaf
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Honolulu
Country: United States
Posts: 2,044
vCash: 500
Devane is enormous, did not realize he is that big..he can skate too..

Hawaiinleaf is offline  
Old
02-24-2013, 05:05 PM
  #178
Guy Boucher
Registered User
 
Guy Boucher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 2,283
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaiinleaf View Post
Devane is enormous, did not realize he is that big..he can skate too..
He's got the tools to be a highly effective 4th liner.

Guy Boucher is offline  
Old
02-24-2013, 05:19 PM
  #179
Bleed Blue and White
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 256
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Boucher View Post
He's got the tools to be a highly effective 4th liner.
How's Frazer McLaren as a comparable?

Bleed Blue and White is offline  
Old
02-24-2013, 05:30 PM
  #180
BeleaVing
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 7
vCash: 500
Can anybody tell me how Crescenzi played?? - he is listed as being equal in height to Devane and I see also got in a scrap today

BeleaVing is offline  
Old
02-24-2013, 05:30 PM
  #181
Hawaiinleaf
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Honolulu
Country: United States
Posts: 2,044
vCash: 500
Fraser same size...Devane is a few years away so we have Fraser

Hawaiinleaf is offline  
Old
02-24-2013, 06:03 PM
  #182
Jax Teller
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,050
vCash: 500
Colborne and Hamilton could have a decent battle for the Marlies points lead over the rest of the season.

Jax Teller is offline  
Old
02-24-2013, 06:22 PM
  #183
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game
 
ErnieLeafs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Windsor, Ont.
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,106
vCash: 500
How did Blacker and Ryan look today?

ErnieLeafs is offline  
Old
02-24-2013, 07:49 PM
  #184
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die
 
Leaf Rocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Fredericton, NB
Country: India
Posts: 70,505
vCash: 500
our boys did well although crashed in the end it seems.

__________________
Leaf Rocket is offline  
Old
02-24-2013, 08:35 PM
  #185
glasses91
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Steelheads!?
Country: Canada
Posts: 807
vCash: 250
where did grimshaw come from?

he looks pretty damn good.

glasses91 is offline  
Old
02-24-2013, 08:53 PM
  #186
kilgro
Thank you Burke!
 
kilgro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,384
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieLeafs View Post
How did Blacker and Ryan look today?
Ryan stood out to me. His shift that he scored on was awesome. First he ran over an icedog in the defensive zone then buried an absolute laser slapshot top corner. He has a few really nice goals with his slapper/one timer this year, he's got a bullet

kilgro is offline  
Old
02-24-2013, 09:04 PM
  #187
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game
 
ErnieLeafs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Windsor, Ont.
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,106
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilgro View Post
Ryan stood out to me. His shift that he scored on was awesome. First he ran over an icedog in the defensive zone then buried an absolute laser slapshot top corner. He has a few really nice goals with his slapper/one timer this year, he's got a bullet
I really think his hard work, defensive ability, and his ability to chip in offensively from time to time, will see him earn a roll on the team in a few years.

The only player that came close to his work ethic in Windsor was Adam Henrique. Kenny really gets after it in all 3 zones.

ErnieLeafs is offline  
Old
02-24-2013, 09:55 PM
  #188
KlattNazty
Registered User
 
KlattNazty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 3,339
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieLeafs View Post
I really think his hard work, defensive ability, and his ability to chip in offensively from time to time, will see him earn a roll on the team in a few years.

The only player that came close to his work ethic in Windsor was Adam Henrique. Kenny really gets after it in all 3 zones.
hes at wing right?

I want him back at centre. he is good there.

KlattNazty is offline  
Old
02-24-2013, 10:52 PM
  #189
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die
 
Leaf Rocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Fredericton, NB
Country: India
Posts: 70,505
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KlattNazty View Post
hes at wing right?

I want him back at centre. he is good there.
capable of both but as I stated before. If i was to bet on anything, he will make the NHL in some level or another. He's just too driven not to succeed.

Leaf Rocket is offline  
Old
02-25-2013, 11:19 AM
  #190
Dark Passenger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 3,004
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Blue and White View Post
How's Frazer McLaren as a comparable?
THat actually might be worst case scenario. I would say Devane's hands are better.


Last edited by Dark Passenger: 02-25-2013 at 11:29 AM.
Dark Passenger is offline  
Old
02-25-2013, 11:29 AM
  #191
Dark Passenger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 3,004
vCash: 500
I like what I'm seeing with our prospects, even if some arent progressing as quick as folk would like. Players impressed me in a few Marlies games recently.

Colborne - Good size and reach but lacks strength. Reads game well and has soft hands. Looks like his quickness and agility has improved. I still think this guy is a really good prospect.

Blacker - has all the tools and has flown under the radar a bit. Needs to improve decision making, but has to sort of re-invent himself a bit, IMO. To make NHL, needs to become more of a mobile, physical, defensive player, not worry about trying to lead the rush etc.

Ashton - I like this guy, even if point totals arent great. Big, mobile, feisty and seems to have a pretty good hockey IQ. Prototypical 3rd line winger

Gardiner - Trying to do everything himself lately, probably understadable but skating and smarts are NHL quality. Matter of time before he is back

Devane - Moves well for a big guy and seems to read the game very well also. He looks like a monster out there and still has lots of room to fill out. Probably going to be a similar player to Fraser McLaren, but with a higher IQ and better hands. Probably a couple of years before he is knocking on the NHL door.

Dark Passenger is offline  
Old
02-25-2013, 11:38 AM
  #192
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game
 
ErnieLeafs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Windsor, Ont.
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,106
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Passenger View Post
I like what I'm seeing with our prospects, even if some arent progressing as quick as folk would like. Players impressed me in a few Marlies games recently.

Colborne - Good size and reach but lacks strength. Reads game well and has soft hands. Looks like his quickness and agility has improved. I still think this guy is a really good prospect.

Blacker - has all the tools and has flown under the radar a bit. Needs to improve decision making, but has to sort of re-invent himself a bit, IMO. To make NHL, needs to become more of a mobile, physical, defensive player, not worry about trying to lead the rush etc.

Ashton - I like this guy, even if point totals arent great. Big, mobile, feisty and seems to have a pretty good hockey IQ. Prototypical 3rd line winger

Gardiner - Trying to do everything himself lately, probably understadable but skating and smarts are NHL quality. Matter of time before he is back

Devane - Moves well for a big guy and seems to read the game very well also. He looks like a monster out there and still has lots of room to fill out. Probably going to be a similar player to Fraser McLaren, but with a higher IQ and better hands. Probably a couple of years before he is knocking on the NHL door.

The good thing is, he's a guy that has natural offensive talent. In junior, and minor, he was relied on to be the offense from the back end, and lead the rush. The adjustment to taking on another role takes time, and his skating ability allowed him to play both ways in junior without much thought. Unfortunately, this set him up for a tough adjustment at the pro level, where he's being asked to do things he wasn't asked to do at prior levels.

He's got the offensive ability, he anticipates well, good shot, good first pass, great skater. What he needs to do is learn when to back off, and when to jump the rush. This will come with time, and you have to be confident with a defensive specialist like Eakins teaching him. He's gonna take a little more time, but I think he'll be worth the wait.

ErnieLeafs is offline  
Old
02-25-2013, 12:22 PM
  #193
Dark Passenger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 3,004
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieLeafs View Post
The good thing is, he's a guy that has natural offensive talent. In junior, and minor, he was relied on to be the offense from the back end, and lead the rush. The adjustment to taking on another role takes time, and his skating ability allowed him to play both ways in junior without much thought. Unfortunately, this set him up for a tough adjustment at the pro level, where he's being asked to do things he wasn't asked to do at prior levels.

He's got the offensive ability, he anticipates well, good shot, good first pass, great skater. What he needs to do is learn when to back off, and when to jump the rush. This will come with time, and you have to be confident with a defensive specialist like Eakins teaching him. He's gonna take a little more time, but I think he'll be worth the wait.
I think its going to take Blacker a while to get to the NHL, but when he does will be as a top 4 blueliner. Probably used to getting away with certain things at junior, that he can't at the NHL level. In games I have watched, you can see the skill level, but looks to be thinking too much and not re-acting. Like you said, will take time to adjust.

Dark Passenger is offline  
Old
02-25-2013, 02:36 PM
  #194
KlattNazty
Registered User
 
KlattNazty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 3,339
vCash: 500
Blacker has been a slow learner at every level, so that bodes well for him moving forward.

I think the best guy to compare him to is johny boychuk. Spent the better part of 4-5 years in the AHL, moving up and down. Similar player too, is mobile and very hard nosed, but has to realize that his quick feet, strength, and positioning is what will make him a defender at the NHL level.

KlattNazty is offline  
Old
02-25-2013, 03:02 PM
  #195
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game
 
ErnieLeafs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Windsor, Ont.
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,106
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KlattNazty View Post
Blacker has been a slow learner at every level, so that bodes well for him moving forward.

I think the best guy to compare him to is johny boychuk. Spent the better part of 4-5 years in the AHL, moving up and down. Similar player too, is mobile and very hard nosed, but has to realize that his quick feet, strength, and positioning is what will make him a defender at the NHL level.
That's actually a pretty good comparable.

I have faith in Jesse still. He has all the tools, just has to improve on his decision making, which will come with time.

ErnieLeafs is offline  
Old
02-25-2013, 03:10 PM
  #196
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die
 
Leaf Rocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Fredericton, NB
Country: India
Posts: 70,505
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieLeafs View Post
That's actually a pretty good comparable.

I have faith in Jesse still. He has all the tools, just has to improve on his decision making, which will come with time.
I wouldn't be too worried, he'll get there slowly. We also have enough defensemen to insulate him to his trip to the NHl.

Leaf Rocket is offline  
Old
02-25-2013, 03:27 PM
  #197
Interactif
Registered User
 
Interactif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: North York
Country: Canada
Posts: 26,133
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KlattNazty View Post
Blacker has been a slow learner at every level, so that bodes well for him moving forward.

I think the best guy to compare him to is johny boychuk. Spent the better part of 4-5 years in the AHL, moving up and down. Similar player too, is mobile and very hard nosed, but has to realize that his quick feet, strength, and positioning is what will make him a defender at the NHL level.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Passenger View Post
I think its going to take Blacker a while to get to the NHL, but when he does will be as a top 4 blueliner. Probably used to getting away with certain things at junior, that he can't at the NHL level. In games I have watched, you can see the skill level, but looks to be thinking too much and not re-acting. Like you said, will take time to adjust.
Blacker's game is not easily defined to me, I really expected more offence from his game but it hasn't materialized at the AHL level.

I think he needs to reinvent himself into a simple, stay at home D man. He doesn't have the offensive skills to play as an offensive D man, he can skate, he's got an ok shot, but the instincts are a a struggle.

If he can simplify his game, play to a more defensive role as a 5 or 6 guy on a NHL team, he may make it. But if he thinks he's more that this, I think he will have problems making the NHL regularily. I can see why Mo drafted him, on the surface it looks as if there is more.

To me he is a 5 or 6 guy that is a stay at home defender, if he works on this, he could be value to our franchise.

Interactif is offline  
Old
02-25-2013, 04:28 PM
  #198
Interactif
Registered User
 
Interactif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: North York
Country: Canada
Posts: 26,133
vCash: 500
The depth chart for our D Prospects

This is how I rank our defensive prospects currently in terms of importance to our franchise:

Rielly *Question is how long can you keep him out of NHL
Nilsson *Really impressive WJC moves him to the top
Percy *Quietly having a solid, injury free year
Finn *Before being sidelined, was having a very good year
Granberg *Hurt, but solid steady Swede
Blacker * D man in progress under Eakins, hopes for him to be a solid 5 or 6 guy

Don't know enough of:

Knodel
or
Loov* would like a report on him.

Interactif is offline  
Old
02-25-2013, 05:26 PM
  #199
ChillyPalmer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Antarctica
Posts: 579
vCash: 500
Eakins will be coaching in the NHL next year. Not for the Leafs either.

ChillyPalmer is offline  
Old
02-25-2013, 05:49 PM
  #200
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die
 
Leaf Rocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Fredericton, NB
Country: India
Posts: 70,505
vCash: 500
It will be interesting to see who we possibly can replace when Eakins finally gets his NHL job. It's a tough one as he's been great at developing our prospects.

Leaf Rocket is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:32 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.