HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Leafs listening on Kessel?

Old
02-07-2013, 07:46 AM
OCPenguin

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceDaddy View Post
Kessel is a good player and very valuable, but Id rather have Richards than Kessel.
I agree with you. I'm not sure Toronto fans see where you are going with this, but I certainly do.

OCPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 07:53 AM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auzzie19 View Post
LOL That package would net us Malkin.

But seriously, Kulemin ain't goin no where. And we definitely not stupid enough to trade our first again!
1. No offense, but Kessel + Kulemin + 1st doesn't net you Malkin.

2. While TFP speculated that the Pens sent Andre Savard and Don Waddell to the Caps-Leafs game to see Kulemin, I wouldn't be surprised if it was to see Kessel too. It's not as if the hole at L1 RW isn't as big a need to fill for Ray Shero as L2 LW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kratzbuerste View Post
Lets pretend there is no possible package of Leafs players that nets Malkin and work from there.
That's another way of putting it.

KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 08:00 AM
OCPenguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
1. No offense, but Kessel + Kulemin + 1st doesn't net you Malkin.

2. While TFP speculated that the Pens sent Andre Savard and Don Waddell to the Caps-Leafs game to see Kulemin, I wouldn't be surprised if it was to see Kessel too. It's not as if the hole at L1 RW isn't as big a need to fill for Ray Shero as L2 LW.

That's another way of putting it.
I hope to God Pittsburgh isn't looking at Kessel.

Old
02-07-2013, 08:05 AM
416Leafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCPenguin View Post
I agree with you. I'm not sure Toronto fans see where you are going with this, but I certainly do.
I agree. Richards > Kessel.

Two-way physical centres who can put up high points especially in playoff situations are more important than one-dimensional soft wingers, even if the winger can put up slightly more points. If Richards isn't scoring, he can still contribute in a lot of ways. Kessel simply can't. Relative to what the "average" player would bring defensively/physically, he's bringing less, so if he's not putting up goals/points he's a detriment to the team.

416Leafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 08:06 AM
KIRK

Quote:
I hope to God Pittsburgh isn't looking at Kessel.
Well, it's either Kessel or Kulemin or Waddell was taking Savard on a mini vacation to Toronto and they caught the a Leafs game for 'excitement'.

KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 08:08 AM
OCPenguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 416Leafer View Post
I agree. Richards > Kessel.

Two-way physical centres who can put up high points especially in playoff situations are more important than one-dimensional soft wingers, even if the winger can put up slightly more points. If Richards isn't scoring, he can still contribute in a lot of ways. Kessel simply can't. Relative to what the "average" player would bring defensively/physically, he's bringing less, so if he's not putting up goals/points he's a detriment to the team.
You are exactly correct in your assessment. Richards isn't one dimensional like Kessel. If Phill can't score, he doesn't bring much of anything.

Old
02-07-2013, 08:09 AM
OCPenguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
Well, it's either Kessel or Kulemin or Waddell was taking Savard on a mini vacation to Toronto and they caught the a Leafs game for 'excitement'.
I think Shero, Waddell and Savard are smart enough to know Kessel wouldn't fit in Pittsburgh.

Old
02-07-2013, 08:12 AM
IceDaddy
24 and Counting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auzzie19 View Post
LOL That package would net us Malkin.

But seriously, Kulemin ain't goin no where. And we definitely not stupid enough to trade our first again!

Uhhh maybe if that 1st pick ended up being 1st overall and even then I highly doubt it.

IceDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 08:19 AM
Faltorvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brody View Post
I know that. But saying Nonis is listening to offers, well what GM isn't listening to offers? It's not like say Shero for example gets a call for Letang, and hangs up. Of course he will listen to the offer, as every GM in the league would, there is not one player that is untouchable, if we're being realistic.
I think your missing the bigger picture here.

This is put out there by DD to get the phones ringing.

You think teams are phoning Pit on a reg basis to see if Malk,Cros are on the market?

TB and Stamkos?

GM don't waist their or other gms times with frivolous calls.

And yes teams use the media to leak info.

See this way it never gets out that DN is shopping PK. He's just "taking calls".

Actually there are untouchables in a sense, kinda like, look if I'm in the mood to deal him I'll let you know.

And this old trick is one way they do it.

Faltorvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 08:22 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandersFan1987 View Post
Tavares + Niederreiter + Reinhart + Strome for Kessel + Kulemin + Bozak + Kostka + 1st
If there's a drug treatment center near you, seek treatment.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 08:27 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Gotye View Post
Leafs must get either a #1C or #1G in return, or at least a guaranteed top 7 pick, or high end can't miss kind of prospect. No less, no more.

according to caley's report it would take something along the lines of a good Top 4 d-man or Top 6 forward and a high draft pick.

I think that's a lot more realistic, then some of the proposals that some Leaf fans have insisted it would take.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 08:28 AM
416Leafer

Quote:
I think Shero, Waddell and Savard are smart enough to know Kessel wouldn't fit in Pittsburgh.
He would if it weren't for the salary cap. I'm sure he'd look absolutely great beside Crosby.

But yea, Kulemin makes far more sense. Him and Malkin have a history together. He's a guy you could get signed longterm at a pretty solid caphit. He's physical, good in the corners, and always hard working. And lets you allocate money towards other priorities such as the blueline or whatever.

Old
02-07-2013, 08:28 AM
Soderberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerkini View Post
There's only been one proposal originally from a Vancouver fan that was mildy intriguing and it was:

Cory Schneider
Zach Kassian
1st Round Pick

for

Phil Kessel
Vancouver would be overpaying.

Soderberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 08:32 AM
OCPenguin

Quote:
He would if it weren't for the salary cap. I'm sure he'd look absolutely great beside Crosby.

But yea, Kulemin makes far more sense. Him and Malkin have a history together. He's a guy you could get signed longterm at a pretty solid caphit. He's physical, good in the corners, and always hard working. And lets you allocate money towards other priorities such as the blueline or whatever.
I agree for the most part with this, but I don't like Kessel's game in Pittsburgh at all. If he isn't scoring, he is worthless. He is one dimensional. I'm not giving up a huge package for a 30-goal scorer that doesn't do anything else. I want a complete player.

While I think Kulemin is only a 15-20 goal scorer; not the 30-goal guy Toronto fans seem to think, he is more complete. He is more cost efficient in the salary cap and quite frankly brings what Pittsburgh needs. The history together with Malkin is overrated. If they played together on an NHL team, it hold water. The KHL is a totally different bird than the NHL.

Old
02-07-2013, 08:33 AM
Bourne Endeavor
( _)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

vCash: 13357
Quote:
Originally Posted by kihei View Post
Fair enough.

Not as tempting as the offer that includes Jensen. However, I think this offer fits the general template that the Leafs should be employing--forward prospect, young goalie, high draft pick. But though I wouldn't ask for Kassian, I'd want a better forward prospect than Gaunce as that 1st is likely going to be a pick that comes a long, long ways into the opening round.
Understandable. If our prospect depth was better, I'd be more on board with moving either. Even Kessel having a little longer term would be easier to swallow. I'd prefer to add a second on top of the quoted offer. (Schneider + Gaunce + 1st + 2nd).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man Bear Pig View Post
I wasn't thinking too hard about the contracts, more so just on value. Reimer is making peanuts though.
Believe it or not, he is too expensive if we were to resign who is necessary and add Kessel, unless the Leafs kept a little salary.

Bourne Endeavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 08:35 AM
BeLeafer11

Quote:
You are exactly correct in your assessment. Richards isn't one dimensional like Kessel. If Phill can't score, he doesn't bring much of anything.
You obviously have not been watching the Leafs this year. Kessel has not scored but he's been good defensively, getting lots of solid chances and still putting points (assists) on the board. He still draws double-teams which opens up space for others. Not sure how that equates to not bringing much of anything.

BeLeafer11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 08:35 AM
LeafsSince93

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyhabsfan View Post
If Kessel was playing at a level of Crosby or Malkin, do you really think the Leafs would trade him?

Get real... Kessel is a sniper... But a perimeter player .... Those guys don't do well in the playoffs.
Kovalchuk??

LeafsSince93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 08:39 AM
416Leafer

Quote:
I agree for the most part with this, but I don't like Kessel's game in Pittsburgh at all. If he isn't scoring, he is worthless. He is one dimensional. I'm not giving up a huge package for a 30-goal scorer that doesn't do anything else. I want a complete player.
Haha that has nothing to do with him not fitting in Pittsburgh specifically. That's just you saying he's overrated and not nearly as good as his points suggest.

I agree. Which is why I'd be happy to see him traded since he has quite high trade value. I want the core pieces of Toronto to be more complete players. I'd prefer to have a good centre with two-way/physical ~50-60 point wingers.

Old
02-07-2013, 08:40 AM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

You think Waddell is smart? his entire run as atlanta GM says you are wrong

LEAFANFORLIFE23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 08:41 AM
416Leafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeLeafer11 View Post
You obviously have not been watching the Leafs this year. Kessel has not scored but he's been good defensively, getting lots of solid chances and still putting points (assists) on the board. He still draws double-teams which opens up space for others. Not sure how that equates to not bringing much of anything.
He has been better defensively this year, I'll give him that.

But he started like that last year too, and then part way through the season just kinda gave up on the whole defensive thing. He didn't mesh well with Claude Julien for the same reason. He has a history of spurning that entire side of the game.

Old
02-07-2013, 08:43 AM
waitin425

Not sure if it has been mentioned yet.....but

Ryan o'Reilly
Col 1st 2013
Col 3rd 2014

waitin425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 08:46 AM
daveleaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by waitin425 View Post
Not sure if it has been mentioned yet.....but

Ryan o'Reilly
Col 1st 2013
Col 3rd 2014
This I might do, maybe something around Duschene.

daveleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 08:48 AM
mikelvl

vCash: 487
I get the feeling that when Kessel's career is over, he will have played on five or six teams. One dimensional player, very good at that dimension, but not somebody you build a team around. And if Colorado wants to give you Ryan O'Reilly, you drive Kessel to Colorado. O'Reilly has more intangibles on his finger than Kessel has in his whole body.

mikelvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 08:50 AM
OCPenguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeLeafer11 View Post

He is a one dimensional player. He is not a complete player - not close. Sorry, agree to disagree.

Old
02-07-2013, 08:50 AM
OCPenguin

Quote:
He has been better defensively this year, I'll give him that.

But he started like that last year too, and then part way through the season just kinda gave up on the whole defensive thing. He didn't mesh well with Claude Julien for the same reason. He has a history of spurning that entire side of the game.
Totally agree