HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Leafs listening on Kessel?

Old
02-07-2013, 09:39 AM
CamFan81
Derp

vCash: 500
Its about time toronto.
Count your losses, and move on from that mess

CamFan81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 09:40 AM
Leafs87
Mr. Steal Your Job

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovechtrick8 View Post
Carlson + a 1st (unless its a top 3 pick) for Kessel.

Done.
Actually ony if its a top 3 pick.

Leafs87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 09:41 AM
TheSilencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
He's not even putting 50 points right now let alone 60-70.
Richards is on pace to score more than Kessel this year.

He's isn't a 44 point player, just as Kessel isn't a 82 point player (unless you wanna judge a player by one season). If you look at their whole body of work, they're essentially 15-20 points apart offensively. And i'd take Richards because he brings more to the table.

TheSilencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 09:43 AM
Alflives

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMFAO View Post
Nonis resigns Lupul for 5 years 5.25 Millions per, yet he will trade Kessel right after ? Kessel ain't going nowhere.
Kessel, as he approaches UFA status, will bring diminishing value. The sooner he's traded, the more the return.

Alflives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 09:48 AM
Michael Gary Scott
Toronto Maple Tron's

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandersFan1987 View Post
Tavares + Niederreiter + Reinhart + Strome for Kessel + Kulemin + Bozak + Kostka + 1st
And you say youre an Islanders fan! Oh my this is horrendous for NYI. Horrendous. That package on the Leafs end will barely net you Tavares alone, not to mention their top 3 prospects also

Michael Gary Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 09:50 AM
Alflives

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Brown View Post
I agree that we aren't close to being a contender at all (and probably not close to making the playoffs comfortably), but we don't really need a full rebuild. The Leafs have actually built a solid farm system despite popular opinion. We're a few moves away from having the potential to be a good team in a few years, once the young guys improve and get their chance. Work is obviously needed, but we ARE headed in the right direction. Unload a few vets for futures and have 1-2 solid drafts, then give the younger guys more of a role and we're in fine shape going forward.
The Oilers are also a team with young players, and I don't think anyone would argue their young players are a lot better than the Leaf's young players. How is Edmonton doing? That's right. Not so well. The Leafs younger players (JVR excluded) are either not very good, or not had a significant chance at the NHL level. Kessel should be traded for future assets: Picks or young players. The problem is whether he is actually worth that, considering his coming UFA status, and high salary demands.

Old
02-07-2013, 09:50 AM
Antropovsky

Leafs have giant holes on their roster, and lots of scoring winger depth, trading kessel "could" close more than holes then it would open.

Antropovsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 09:52 AM
Pi

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilencer View Post
Richards is on pace to score more than Kessel this year.

He's isn't a 44 point player, just as Kessel isn't a 82 point player (unless you wanna judge a player by one season). If you look at their whole body of work, they're essentially 15-20 points apart offensively. And i'd take Richards because he brings more to the table.
Wow. Are you serious?

Just as people say you can't build around Kessel, you definitely can't build around Mike Richards as your best center. Kopitar is the #1C on that team and always will be. M.Richards is a complimentary player just like Phil Kessel is.

Richards is on pace to score more than Kessel this year? Let's see how many goals they have after 48 games.

Kessel isn't an 82 point player? Yes, and Stamkos never scored 60 goals.

Kessel has been near PPG for the Leafs while playing with Bozak as his center. When he was given talent on his line (Lupul) he scored at a PPG pace.

Mike Richards brings more to the table because he's surrounded by other great players.

Pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 09:52 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Gary Scott View Post
And you say youre an Islanders fan! Oh my this is horrendous for NYI. Horrendous. That package on the Leafs end will barely net you Tavares alone, not to mention their top 3 prospects also
I thought he was a leaf fan

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 09:53 AM
TOGuy14

I imagine his value would be somewhere in and around what Jordan Staal got if he was traded.

Solid young roster player + solid prospect + 1st rd pick.

TOGuy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 09:54 AM
Pi

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandersFan1987 View Post
Tavares + Niederreiter + Reinhart + Strome for Kessel + Kulemin + Bozak + Kostka + 1st
Oh how I wish this could be the trade.

I'd do it in 0.000000000001 seconds and you don't even need to add Reinhart and Niederreiter.

Old
02-07-2013, 09:55 AM
RedMenace
Zero ***** Given

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFANFORLIFE23 View Post
no like franzen but he's old
He should still good for 30g for the next couple of years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leugangen View Post
No deal unless Nyquist or Jarnkrok is coming back. Would also be interested in Smith.
Ehhhhhh... that's a tough one. Those are two of our best forward prospects, and we're going to need them soon. Does it have to be a forward prospect? I also don't think the Wings would give up on Smith this early, but you never know.

How about:
Franzen, Quincey, Jurco, Ouelett (very good D prospect), 2013 2nd

for

Kessel, 2013 3rd

RedMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 09:55 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOGuy14 View Post
I imagine his value would be somewhere in and around what Jordan Staal got if he was traded.

Solid young roster player + solid prospect + 1st rd pick.
Staal was willing to sign a long term extension, that was going to fit into his new team's budget.

Is Kessel willing to do the same?

Old
02-07-2013, 09:56 AM
pspot

Niederiter and NY1st (top pick protected) has been shot down before by Islanders fans but I still like to think about it as a Leafs fan

pspot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 09:56 AM
Alflives

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Gary Scott View Post
Are implying the Islanders would trade Tavares for that? No way! Tavares is young, and already one of the top centers in the league. The Leafs don't have the assets to acquire him, or his status of player. The Leafs need to trade Kessel for picks or young players. Then finish badly, and get a high pick (or be lucky like Boston and one of the acquired picks is a top 3) and draft a "Tavares" type player.

Old
02-07-2013, 09:57 AM
Pi

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
Staal was willing to sign a long term extension, that was going to fit into his new team's budget.

Is Kessel willing to do the same?
Staal makes 6M.

It's not unreasonable to think that Kessel would make 7M. Any team that trades for him is likely a Cup contender with a lot of talent on the team and needs a game breaker like Kessel.

Kessel would flourish in a situation where he isn't the only guy the D has to take care of on his line.

Old
02-07-2013, 09:58 AM
LPH
[hello] :)

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerkini View Post
There's only been one proposal originally from a Vancouver fan that was mildy intriguing and it was:

Cory Schneider
Zach Kassian
1st Round Pick

for

Phil Kessel

I've no interest in anyone else from that team.

Mike Richards for Phil Kessel straight up I would do in a heartbeat, but i'm not entirely certain LA would go for it.
I think I would do this if the first were changed to a second. If we retain our first we can hopefully draft well to offset the loss of youth with shipping Kassian off. We have the worst prospect pool in the league, giving up a Jensen/Kassian means that I would really like us to keep our first this year. Could throw in a versatile player like Higgins if necessary. Bolster your bottom 6 and can move up and down the lineup.

LPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 09:59 AM
Alflives

Quote:
Wow. Are you serious?

Mike Richards brings more to the table because he's surrounded by other great players.
You're comparing apples and oranges. Kessel can be a PPG player. Richards is a top two-way center, who garners fewer points, but does a lot more to win a game (cup) than Kessel.

Kessel, in trade, would not return Richards.

Old
02-07-2013, 10:00 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Oh how I wish this could be the trade.

I'd do it in 0.000000000001 seconds and you don't even need to add Reinhart and Niederreiter.
Funny, to have an isle fan not realize that Kessel + Kulemin being ufas in 2014 and Bozak being a ufa in 2013, would be huge problem for the NYI..

Old
02-07-2013, 10:02 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspot View Post
Niederiter and NY1st (top pick protected) has been shot down before by Islanders fans but I still like to think about it as a Leafs fan
Wouldn't want Snow to give up one of those assets alone for Kessel. I don't think the Isles could fit him into their budget, once he's due his new contract in 2014.
I'm worried about re-signing Moulson in 2014 and I expect he will want to stay, have strong ties.

Old
02-07-2013, 10:03 AM
Sundinisagod
Weed

Quote:
Wouldn't it be the same situation as Jordan Staal?

He was being offered a good amount of money from Pittsburgh a year before he went UFA, he declined, Carolina traded for him at the draft.

Assuming the CBA didn't affect anything, then yeah I guess it should be the same situation as Staal...do you know when Kessel's limited NTC kicks in during the off-season? If he's refusing to re-sign, lets hope the NTC kicks in after the draft.

Sundinisagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 10:03 AM
Alflives

Quote:
Originally Posted by live playoff hockey View Post
I think I would do this if the first were changed to a second. If we retain our first we can hopefully draft well to offset the loss of youth with shipping Kassian off. We have the worst prospect pool in the league, giving up a Jensen/Kassian means that I would really like us to keep our first this year.
Kessel does not have that value. He's an over paid, underproducing, one dimensional player. He is not going to return a unique (young, cheap, and getting better) player like Kassian.

Old
02-07-2013, 10:04 AM
Inverted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alflives View Post
Are implying the Islanders would trade Tavares for that? No way! Tavares is young, and already one of the top centers in the league. The Leafs don't have the assets to acquire him, or his status of player. The Leafs need to trade Kessel for picks or young players. Then finish badly, and get a high pick (or be lucky like Boston and one of the acquired picks is a top 3) and draft a "Tavares" type player.
Kessel is a proven elite player, won't be traded for 2nd line prospects or late 1st round picks, the return should be equal value of Kessel or he wont be traded.

Inverted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 10:05 AM
Pi

Quote:
Kessel does not have that value. He's an over paid, underproducing, one dimensional player. He is not going to return a unique (young, cheap, and getting better) player like Kassian.
Kassian is 22 years old.

By the time Kessel was 21 he had scored 36 goals already.

We don't want Kassian.

Old
02-07-2013, 10:05 AM
Rob Brown
Way She Goes

Quote:
The Oilers are also a team with young players, and I don't think anyone would argue their young players are a lot better than the Leaf's young players. How is Edmonton doing? That's right. Not so well. The Leafs younger players (JVR excluded) are either not very good, or not had a significant chance at the NHL level. Kessel should be traded for future assets: Picks or young players. The problem is whether he is actually worth that, considering his coming UFA status, and high salary demands.
Just because the Oilers (or their young players) aren't doing that well now, doesn't mean they won't in a few years. The same goes for the Leafs. Every young team takes time to improve and mature before they start producing in the standings. Not sure what your point is.

And I never said we shouldn't trade Kessel.

Rob Brown is offline   Reply With Quote