HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Leafs listening on Kessel?

Old
02-07-2013, 01:29 PM
Linden
[hello] :)

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
I would too, but we'll be relying on ELCs like Kassian/Jensen to help fill out our depth cheaply.

I'd want to see, for 2013-2014

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian
Burrows-Kesler-Kessel
Raymond-Schroeder-Jensen
Higgins-Lapierre-Hansen

Schneider + Gaunce + 1st is the most I'd offer at this point in time. I'm willing to slightly overpay(which it is, imo), but not acquire Kessel at huge overpayment. Let's see if anyone would top that offer before going overboard on offers.
I don't think the cap will be too much of an issue, with Jensen coming over and the way Booth has played since he's come to the Canucks, they could probably afford to et rid of his contract, as well as Malhotra's obviously. Our backup will be much cheaper than Cory as well. I don't think the Leafs will trade Kessel, but I would go Schneider, Kassian, second rounder for him without huge expectations. Some teams with a stronger prospect pool may be willing to give better young players and this be more enticing to leaf fans.

bolded proposal to accommodate those who don't like to read entire posts

Linden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 01:30 PM
CellarDweller0

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SprDaVE View Post
What if the trade involves Tyler Bozak, to replace the departed ROR?

He'd be a great third line center behind Duchene and Stastny. He's great on faceoffs and a solid 2-way player that can pot 15 ish goals. Bozak played college in Denver, and I believe still has a lot of connections to that state, so I think he'd be a great fit for you. He wouldn't cost a whole lot to re-sign, maybe even he'd take a small discount longterm.
I couldn't agree more. Bozak is a great fit for CO, what do Av fans think it would take to make it work?

CellarDweller0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 01:33 PM
Steve Varmalov
And Then....

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
I think if the Leafs could get RoR and someone like McGinn, it would make their team better.
You guys can take David Jones.

Steve Varmalov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 01:35 PM
Steve Varmalov
And Then....

Quote:
What if the trade involves Tyler Bozak, to replace the departed ROR?

He'd be a great third line center behind Duchene and Stastny. He's great on faceoffs and a solid 2-way player that can pot 15 ish goals. Bozak played college in Denver, and I believe still has a lot of connections to that state, so I think he'd be a great fit for you. He wouldn't cost a whole lot to re-sign, maybe even he'd take a small discount longterm.
A lot of Avs fan feel that Bozak will be an Av one way or another for the 2013/14 season. A lot feel that he will sign in Colorado for a discount during the summer.

Steve Varmalov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 01:35 PM
roon

I think Phil wants to finish his career in MN.

roon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 01:36 PM
Linden
[hello] :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop The Mits View Post
A GOALIE who happens to be in a goalie controversy, while only playing ~70 games in his career + a power forward who has played 53 games in his career scoring an amazing 16 points (6 of which playing with the Sedins) who is only 3 years younger than Phil Kessel who's had 4 straight 30 goal seasons (3 of which on a lowly leafs team) and 333 pts in 466 games including 165 goals in that span. And that's too much for Kessel? My ass

Not to mention we have Tyler Biggs who projects to be the EXACT same player has Zack Kassian. What a joke man
I think you're selling our players a little short here. Schneider has succeeded at every level and although he doesn't have as many games as most would like, he has put up stepped numbers and has the pedigree to back it up. It's unfair to include Kassian's games from las year considering that he was on the fourth line. Gillis threw Kassian into our lineup when he wasn't ready because he wanted the Hodgson trade to look better.

Biggs is a good prospect, but only if he develops really well will be exactly like Kassian. Im not saying there aren't question marks around both of these guys, but there is significant upside with both of them. I will say this again, Kessel's numbers are very impressive, a PWF generally takes longer to develop and thus often won't put up good numbers at an early age. I understand if you think Kessel is worth more, but there's no reason to devalue the offered players to make it sound worse

Linden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 01:36 PM
Chandrashekhar Limit
BUNGLADEISH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Varmalov View Post
You guys can take David Jones.
No thanks, but we'd love Downie.

Chandrashekhar Limit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 01:37 PM
EdAVSfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CellarDweller0 View Post
I couldn't agree more. Bozak is a great fit for CO, what do Av fans think it would take to make it work?
Bozak can be useful to the avs.

BUT, with Kessel and Bozak, the avs could be looking at the start of 2014, and have nothing to show for it.

If the avs are trading ROR, I would hope and assume that it will be for a youngish player, who, they will own the rights to for the forseeable future, OR, a player signed to a long term deal.

From other posts, i see the inclusion of McGinn...Again, the same problem. We own the rights to these players for a long time. Trading them for soon to be UFAs, one of which has a NTC coming up would be ridiculous in terms of asset management.

Bozak would only be included if we were sending back a prospect, or a player whos soon to be UFA, in a year or 2.

EdAVSfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 01:38 PM
Bordeleau Of Blood
Archangel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandrashekhar Limit View Post
No thanks, but we'd love Downie.
He's out for the season. Torn ACL.

Bordeleau Of Blood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 01:38 PM
Kyle Doobas*
#groovystats

vCash: 159
The Avs and Leafs aren't very good trading partners IMO.

I think the Leafs could definitely work out a more sensible deal with another team than Kessel for O'Reilly + a roster player or a 2nd or whatever. The Avs aren't at the stage yet where they're going to be willing to part with any significant future assets (other than O'Reilly), and that's exactly what the Leafs will be in the market for if there's a major shake-up.

For me the conversation would almost 100% have to begin with a 2013 1st.

Kyle Doobas* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 01:40 PM
Bordeleau Of Blood
Archangel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Stallone View Post

I think the Leafs could definitely work out a more sensible deal with another team than Kessel for O'Reilly + a roster player or a 2nd or whatever. The Avs aren't at the stage yet where they're going to be willing to part with any significant future assets, and that's exactly what the Leafs will be in the market for if there's a major shake-up.

I have to agree on this, these two aren't very compatible when it comes to a deal like this. The Leafs would rightfully command a 1st be included and the Avs are really in no position to give theirs up.

Bordeleau Of Blood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 01:41 PM
Crisp Breakout

Quote:

I think the Leafs could definitely work out a more sensible deal with another team than Kessel for O'Reilly + a roster player or a 2nd or whatever. The Avs aren't at the stage yet where they're going to be willing to part with any significant future assets (other than O'Reilly), and that's exactly what the Leafs will be in the market for if there's a major shake-up.

I don't understand your reasoning. Where's the mystery box from Family Guy?

O'Reilly has outperformed all but a few first round picks from his draft. He just turned 22, today actually...

Last edited by Crisp Breakout: 02-07-2013 at 01:47 PM.
Crisp Breakout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 01:44 PM
SprDaVE

Quote:
A lot of Avs fan feel that Bozak will be an Av one way or another for the 2013/14 season. A lot feel that he will sign in Colorado for a discount during the summer.
I doubt Nonis will let him walk for nothing. I'd be extremely surprised if they don't re-sign him, if of course they don't trade him at the deadline.

As much as he isn't a great top 6 center, he's been a strong 2-way center so far for the Leafs.

I could see the Leafs asking for ROR and someone like Siemens if Colorado wants Kessel. If Bozak is added, which I think would make sense, then a simple 2nd or 3rd round pick to round out the value would be fair. A first round pick is not a 100% necessity if a player like Siemens can be included instead.

In any case, I just don't think Colorado makes sense. I see Kessel going to a team poised for a cup run. Colorado isn't there yet.

Last edited by SprDaVE: 02-07-2013 at 01:52 PM.
SprDaVE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 01:46 PM
sparxx87

Quote:
Why? Because he went to Denver?

I have a hard time believing that a guy who was making .875 his first 2 years, and 1.5 his 3rd and 4th will sign for a discount. Especially considering he is currently Phil Kessel's centreman and plays a bigger role in Toronto then he would in Colorado.

Hockey is their job. Why sign a 'discount' deal at a lesser role? If he goes to market, it'll be to the highest bidder.

sparxx87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 01:48 PM
Kyle Doobas*
#groovystats

vCash: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisp Breakout View Post
I don't understand your reasoning. Where's the mystery box from Family Guy?

O'Reilly is outperformed all but a few first round picks from his draft. He just turned 22, today actually...
For me, O'Reilly alone wouldn't be enough, but there's nothing else I can think of that the Avs would be willing to add that would be of much/any interest to the Leafs.

Kyle Doobas* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 01:51 PM
Alflives

Quote:
Originally Posted by supercilious View Post
Apparently 80 point players grow on trees now.

There were only NINE of them last year

Kessel is worth as much as any player in the league not named Crosby, Malkin, Stamkos, Giroux, Sedin (based on statistics of the last year or two)

Saying he's not worth Letang or Ryan is laughable
I could see Bobby Ryan as similar value for Kessel, but Letang is worth more than Toronto has in assets. Even with Ryan though, he does more to help his team, when not scoring. He plays a lot bigger than Kessel (which he is) and adds that dimension to his team. I guess, Ryan is of more value too.

Alflives is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 01:54 PM
Alflives

Quote:
Originally Posted by live playoff hockey View Post
I don't think the cap will be too much of an issue, with Jensen coming over and the way Booth has played since he's come to the Canucks, they could probably afford to et rid of his contract, as well as Malhotra's obviously. Our backup will be much cheaper than Cory as well. I don't think the Leafs will trade Kessel, but I would go Schneider, Kassian, second rounder for him without huge expectations. Some teams with a stronger prospect pool may be willing to give better young players and this be more enticing to leaf fans.

bolded proposal to accommodate those who don't like to read entire posts
Kessel is not worth those types of assets! You would seriously give up a franchise goalie and a uniquely talented power forward for Kessel?

Alflives is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 01:54 PM
Inverted

Quote:
I feel Perry will be a Leaf one way or another for the 2013/14 season. Fans feel that he will sign in Toronto for a discount during the summer.

Inverted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 01:55 PM
Crisp Breakout

Quote:
For me, O'Reilly alone wouldn't be enough, but there's nothing else I can think of that the Avs would be willing to add that would be of much/any interest to the Leafs.
Nothing? And I ask this in good faith... Here are pieces I could see being on the table:

Downie, McGinn, Barrie, Siemens, Elliott, Pickard (looking good), Aittokallio, Jones.

I mean I don't see the Avalanche organization having any interest in Kessel, but I'd like to pick him up.

Crisp Breakout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 01:55 PM
Sterling31
YNWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by roon View Post
I think Phil wants to finish his career in MN.
Seto + Grandlund/Dumba + 1st?

Sterling31 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 01:56 PM
Rickety Cricket

Hypothetically, what would the Leafs want from SJ?

Rickety Cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 01:59 PM
couture23
Sabres & Red Sox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickety Cricket View Post
Probably Couture or Pavelski. They need offense, particularly in those that can play C.

couture23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 02:01 PM
Chandrashekhar Limit
BUNGLADEISH

Quote:
I doubt Nonis will let him walk for nothing. I'd be extremely surprised if they don't re-sign him, if of course they don't trade him at the deadline.

As much as he isn't a great top 6 center, he's been a strong 2-way center so far for the Leafs.

I could see the Leafs asking for ROR and someone like Siemens if Colorado wants Kessel. If Bozak is added, which I think would make sense, then a simple 2nd or 3rd round pick to round out the value would be fair. A first round pick is not a 100% necessity if a player like Siemens can be included instead.

In any case, I just don't think Colorado makes sense. I see Kessel going to a team poised for a cup run. Colorado isn't there yet.
Agreed. I would do ROR + Siemens. Rather have the first, but I would be happy with either if ROR is coming back.

Old
02-07-2013, 02:03 PM
Chandrashekhar Limit
BUNGLADEISH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickety Cricket View Post
Couture + 1st 2013 at least.

Old
02-07-2013, 02:03 PM
nogger
TherapyforDusters

Blake Comeau and a 3rd for Kessel

Fairly close value wise, especially this year IMO

nogger is online now   Reply With Quote