HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Notices

Red Sox/MLB 2013 Thread Part XXII-Opening Day!

Closed Thread

Old
03-06-2013, 12:25 AM
Guiledoom
Formerly JRull86

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bp13 View Post
Do we still have Shane Victorino?
Unfortunately. He's not in camp because he's playing for the USA in the WBC instead.

Old
03-06-2013, 06:57 AM
robert terwilliger
the bart, the

i see that as far as 2013 red sox::2013 bruins go, shane victorino::chris bourque.

Old
03-06-2013, 07:27 AM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert terwilliger View Post
the point is that the steroid discussion dominates the news of the game. whether they help a player or don't, whether they are truly pills that make you better at baseball or merely a continuance on 50 something years of drug use by major league players, it doesn't matter. it's not something that particularly interests me as a fan or as a person.

as the list grows longer of people associated with mlb (17 by my count since 2011, 13 mlb players) are busted for dui, that puts a much worse black eye on the sport than steroids. steroids endanger record books? dui's endanger lives. nothing is done with the dui's by mlb either. and the guys who are already retired, like, say mark grace, who got his second dui in 15 months and was driving without his breathalyzer deal hooked up to his car got off pretty easy. he has to sleep in jail for three months but gets to leave during the day. and he's on probation.

two mlb players were killed in alcohol related accidents in recent years. nick adenhart was in car being driven by a drunk driver before they were t-boned by another drunk driver who got 51 years. josh hancock was high and drunk and texting when he rearended a tow truck.

but jim leyritz killed a woman and walked with a small fine and probation.

tl;dr? nothing is done about things that can actually hurt people. but appearing on ped lists means we should start laying down heavy sentences. it's ****ing ridiculous.
Appearing on PED list doesn't mean you should go to jail, it just means the BBWA won't vote for your inclusion into the hall of fame. Other than the justice department ridiculously going after Clemens and Bonds, nobody is calling for players who get caught using PEDs to be persecuted.

In terms of alcohol related offenses, baseball is just like any other industry in the world. DUIs happen to every age, race, sex, and tax bracket, etc. In fact, I'd say that getting pinched in a DUI is worse if you play a sport because it gains the attention of the media just based on you playing. If you or I got busted for the same offense, chances are the only people who would hear about it would be our friends and family. With Britton, the guy is a mid level prospect, yet there he was plastered all over Yahoo and other websites yesterday. Before then, I doubt there were 20 people in Boston who could have even told you who he was.

Old
03-06-2013, 07:32 AM
Alicat
Charge!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
http://daps.tv/source-robinson-cano-...-be-suspended/

Didn't Gammons say he heard Cano tested positive last season?
Is this reputable?

I am Boston Strong

Old
03-06-2013, 07:51 AM
robert terwilliger
the bart, the

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSCII View Post
Appearing on PED list doesn't mean you should go to jail, it just means the BBWA won't vote for your inclusion into the hall of fame. Other than the justice department ridiculously going after Clemens and Bonds, nobody is calling for players who get caught using PEDs to be persecuted.
which to me is stupid enough. the players are persecuted. barry bonds never failed a drug test, neither did clemens. yet both were kept out of the hall of fame this year. that's the crux of my issue. miguel cabrera drove drunk and threatened to blow up the bar he was at and told cops to just kill him...he's your mvp. barry bonds never fails a drug test but is outed by leaked gj testimony...he's the worst thing to happen to baseball.

Quote:
In terms of alcohol related offenses, baseball is just like any other industry in the world. DUIs happen to every age, race, sex, and tax bracket, etc. In fact, I'd say that getting pinched in a DUI is worse if you play a sport because it gains the attention of the media just based on you playing. If you or I got busted for the same offense, chances are the only people who would hear about it would be our friends and family. With Britton, the guy is a mid level prospect, yet there he was plastered all over Yahoo and other websites yesterday. Before then, I doubt there were 20 people in Boston who could have even told you who he was.
getting a dui doesn't matter when you're famous. even slight fame like britton. look at mark grace again. retired, two dui in 15 months, not following his court ordered breathalyzer thing, probation and nights in jail.

my point is that there are harsher punishments for steroids, which don't hurt anything but the athlete himself and people's feelings. meanwhile, something that's actually a problem and that can hurt other people, little to nothing is done or said about it.

Old
03-06-2013, 07:56 AM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:
which to me is stupid enough. the players are persecuted. barry bonds never failed a drug test, neither did clemens. yet both were kept out of the hall of fame this year. that's the crux of my issue. miguel cabrera drove drunk and threatened to blow up the bar he was at and told cops to just kill him...he's your mvp. barry bonds never fails a drug test but is outed by leaked gj testimony...he's the worst thing to happen to baseball.

getting a dui doesn't matter when you're famous. even slight fame like britton. look at mark grace again. retired, two dui in 15 months, not following his court ordered breathalyzer thing, probation and nights in jail.

my point is that there are harsher punishments for steroids, which don't hurt anything but the athlete himself and people's feelings. meanwhile, something that's actually a problem and that can hurt other people, little to nothing is done or said about it.
What harsher punishments for PEDs are you talking about though? I don't know any current or ex players who have been sent to jail for admitting they used PEDs. I honestly think you're chasing windmills on this.

If you want to say there should be stiffer laws for DUIs, then yeah, I'm on board with you, but I don't get the parallel you're trying to draw in terms of PEDs vs DUIs. The only thing people who get caught using PEDs have happen are maybe a suspension, then they get convicted in the court of public opinion, and 3 months later, nobody cares that they ever used in the first place. If you don't believe me, ask Big Papi how his investigation into how his name ended up on a list of users is going.

Old
03-06-2013, 07:58 AM
robert terwilliger
the bart, the

it's the witch hunt that bothers me, i think.

i see a difference in the way that steroids and dui are covered. and i only see one as an actual problem in baseball.

Old
03-06-2013, 08:02 AM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:
it's the witch hunt that bothers me, i think.

i see a difference in the way that steroids and dui are covered. and i only see one as an actual problem in baseball.
That's fair. I personally don't care if they use PEDs, in fact, they should make them mandatory. I want to see people do crap on the field that only a small percentage of humans can. Otherwise, why would I invest my time, energy, and money to see every day occurrences?

Old
03-06-2013, 08:04 AM
robert terwilliger
the bart, the

my issue with ped's is that people and writers are acting like they're some kind of new revelation within the last 15-20 years when they've been a part of baseball for at least 50 years.

that and while we prepare the gallows for players who get caught, we have no idea which players aren't being caught. that's what testing does. now if a player hits a long homerun or has a great season, it's "what's he on?" instead of talking about, you know, baseball.

Old
03-06-2013, 08:36 AM
bp13

Quote:
i see that as far as 2013 red sox::2013 bruins go, shane victorino::chris bourque.
Guess we'll see.

Personally I like Bourque and think he gets a bad wrap. But he's obviously everybody's favorite whipping boy. As for Victorino, I hated the signing. Time will tell if he's as bad as I expect, but I don't expect I'll be as committed as some Bruins fans to blame every problem we have on one player.

Old
03-06-2013, 08:55 AM
EverettMike

Quote:
the point is that the steroid discussion dominates the news of the game. whether they help a player or don't, whether they are truly pills that make you better at baseball or merely a continuance on 50 something years of drug use by major league players, it doesn't matter. it's not something that particularly interests me as a fan or as a person.

as the list grows longer of people associated with mlb (17 by my count since 2011, 13 mlb players) are busted for dui, that puts a much worse black eye on the sport than steroids. steroids endanger record books? dui's endanger lives. nothing is done with the dui's by mlb either. and the guys who are already retired, like, say mark grace, who got his second dui in 15 months and was driving without his breathalyzer deal hooked up to his car got off pretty easy. he has to sleep in jail for three months but gets to leave during the day. and he's on probation.

two mlb players were killed in alcohol related accidents in recent years. nick adenhart was in car being driven by a drunk driver before they were t-boned by another drunk driver who got 51 years. josh hancock was high and drunk and texting when he rearended a tow truck.

but jim leyritz killed a woman and walked with a small fine and probation.

tl;dr? nothing is done about things that can actually hurt people. but appearing on ped lists means we should start laying down heavy sentences. it's ****ing ridiculous.
tl; dr

Kidding, I actually read the whole thing so I laughed when I saw that. I always read your posts, especially in this thread.

If you want to suggest MLB players prosecuted with DUIs getting huge suspensions count me in. Totally agree.

Still care about the PED use, still want to talk about it.

Old
03-06-2013, 09:00 AM
CamFan81
Derp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicat View Post
Is this reputable?
same guy called out the melky cabrera suspension 1 month before it happened

Old
03-06-2013, 11:07 AM
Shaun
beauty

vCash: 50
I miss Ken Griffey Jr. and his perfect swing.

Old
03-06-2013, 04:05 PM
Son of Marshmont
Classless Moose

vCash: 2038
Ryan Westmoreland retires from baseball

Quote:
"With a clear mind and heart, as well as the unwavering support and friendship of my family, friends, agent(s), doctors, therapists and the Boston Red Sox, I have decided to voluntarily retire as a professional baseball player," Westmoreland wrote in an email. "Although it is a very difficult decision for me, it has become clear that the neurological damage caused by the most recent cavernous malformation and surgery leaves me with physical challenges that make it impossible to play the game at such a high level.

"This is my decision," he went on. "It's time to move on. My plan is to pursue my degree and hopefully one day be in a position to get back into baseball in some way."
I think we all would've liked to see it turn out for Ryan, but what a kid. Got a tad dusty in my office just now.

Good luck, Ryan. Here's looking forward to a happy, healthy future for you in whatever you do.

Old
03-06-2013, 06:07 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

In better news, Mark Teixeira is out for 8-10 weeks...

Old
03-06-2013, 06:12 PM
smithformeragent

Send a message via AIM to smithformeragent
Yankees are going nowhere. They're so old and stopped developing their own talent.

I really with the Sox hadn't bothered with these stop gap 3 year contracts with the likes of Victorino.

Pulling for the Blue Jays to make some noise this year, but history shows that you don't slap a team together through free agency/trades and have a lot of success.

03-06-2013, 06:40 PM
bruinswincup
Black&Gold4ever!!!!!

Send a message via Yahoo to bruinswincup Send a message via Skype™ to bruinswincup
too bad about west, oh what could have been. We could have used him in our OF right now.

Old
03-06-2013, 08:36 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Drake Britton might be gone for a while too---DUI

Old
03-07-2013, 07:06 PM
bruinswincup
Black&Gold4ever!!!!!

Send a message via Yahoo to bruinswincup Send a message via Skype™ to bruinswincup
Xander Bogaerts will be playing tonight at 10 PM on MLB Network for those interested.

Old
03-07-2013, 07:08 PM
Shaun
beauty

vCash: 50
Anyone know if it's possible to buy WBC t-shirts? I want a Bogaerts Netherlands one but can't find them anywhere..

Old
03-07-2013, 09:51 PM
Bruwinz37

I have less than zero interest in the WBC. I just watched 10 minutes and just couldnt do it.

Old
03-08-2013, 05:48 AM
smithformeragent

Hanrahan getting roughed up

http://bostonherald.com/sports/red_s...n_rocked_again

Old
03-08-2013, 08:48 AM
robert terwilliger
the bart, the

i've been recording the wbc games but they don't always sync up with the dvr.

Old
03-08-2013, 12:26 PM
EverettMike

Carl Crawford finally explained to me why he failed here. I would like to thank him because it really did confuse me, but after his whining it all makes sense.

Old
03-08-2013, 01:26 PM
smithformeragent

Redboxed 2K13. If it can kill 3 hours of my time, it's served its purpose.

Closed Thread