HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Armchair GM Thread - Part XXXII - Kessel Run Edition

Closed Thread

Old
02-13-2013, 05:30 PM
Diamonddog01
Diamond in the rough

vCash: 500
Moving on from ROR, do you guys think there would be any 3rd line centres available at the deadline this year?

The only pending UFA's that would be an upgrade over what we currently have would be Ribeiro or Weiss...

Old
02-13-2013, 05:34 PM
thepuckmonster
Global Moderator
Professional Winner.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamonddog01 View Post
Moving on from ROR, do you guys think there would be any 3rd line centres available at the deadline this year?

The only pending UFA's that would be an upgrade over what we currently have would be Ribeiro or Weiss...
Florida fans are really soured on Weiss this year, he's just playing bad hockey with no emotion.

Old
02-13-2013, 05:37 PM
PRNuck
Sell the team.

vCash: 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepuckmonster View Post
Florida fans are really soured on Weiss this year, he's just playing bad hockey with no emotion.
I can see why we're clamouring to trade for him!

Old
02-13-2013, 05:47 PM
CalgaryCanuck03
@calgarycanuck03

Quote:

I'd rather stick it out with Schroeder than trade for Ribeiro.

Old
02-13-2013, 06:08 PM
Crows*

Anyone hear gmmg on the team?

Old
02-13-2013, 06:19 PM
aandbreatheme

When Samuelsson went down after the first/early second round in 2011, who were Kesler's wingers throughout the playoffs? Raymond and Higgins? I'm drawing a blank.

Old
02-13-2013, 06:20 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Global Moderator
Kitimat Canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crows View Post
Anyone hear gmmg on the team?
From the look of this quote...

Quote:
Ben Kuzma‏@benkuzma
Gillis on his goalies: "Do I think this could last forever, no? But I knew it could last this season because of the bigger goal we have."
Expand Reply Retweet Favorite More
...we may not see a goaltending trade until after this season. And I'm OK with that.

Old
02-13-2013, 06:26 PM
thepuckmonster
Global Moderator
Professional Winner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post

...we may not see a goaltending trade until after this season. And I'm OK with that.
I'm actually happier this way.

With a healthy Kesler and Booth, I really don't think we have any holes to fill with the emergence of Schredda and Kassquatch.

Old
02-13-2013, 06:27 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Global Moderator
Kitimat Canuck

Quote:

With a healthy Kesler and Booth, I really don't think we have any holes to fill with the emergence of Schredda and Kassquatch.
I approve of this new nickname.

Old
02-13-2013, 06:29 PM
vanuck
#Gaunce4GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David71 View Post
i seem to recall she nailed quite a few things. higgins singing lappy etc etc.
I think it was her who said Higgins didn't want to re-sign if Torres was going to be here.

Old
02-13-2013, 06:41 PM
Samzilla
Prust & Dorsett are

Quote:

Quote:
I approve of this new nickname.
Quick, trademark it.

Old
02-13-2013, 06:48 PM
biturbo19

Quote:
would you guys welcoming back raffi torres?
Absolutely not. No way, no how. I will riot if that ******** ends up back in a Canucks uniform somehow. I hated it the first time around...then we saw the downsides to bringing in a reckless ass like Torres...and some people still want him back? It's asinine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRNuck View Post
I can see why we're clamouring to trade for him!
haha. Exactly!!! We have such an excellent track record recently, in bringing in players from Florida! Ballard, Booth, and Garrison have all made such smooth transitions to the pressure and the systems here on the ice...!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycanuck View Post
I'd rather stick it out with Schroeder than trade for Ribeiro.
Agreed. Ribeiro is a guy with skill...but he is about the furthest thing from the sort of guy you win with. I'm far from sold on Schroeder as the #3C going into the playoffs...but i'd still take him over Ribeiro because at least Shredder plays hard and gives a ****.

Quote:

Honestly, it really looks more and more like that's the way it's going to go. No goaltender trade. And while i desperately wanted Gillis to resolve this situation before the season started...at this point, we'd might as well carry it right through.

I don't really know how AV handles the starts once we hit the playoffs...the coin isn't gonna cut it anymore. But really...the further into the season this drags out, the more 'interested' teams are going to drop out as their awful goaltending sinks them. And the less teams are going to want to give up if they're actually gearing up for a playoff run.

I'm expecting this to end up in a relatively small package of picks and prospects in the summer at this point.

Old
02-13-2013, 06:53 PM
YogiCanucks

Why are the same people that complain about Booth getting paid 4.25 million trying to trade for O'Reily?

Old
02-13-2013, 06:54 PM
YogiCanucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
But you have to think the deal would need to "hurt" a bit more for the Canucks than that. Maybe Booth + Schroeder + 1st, contingent on ROR signing a contract in the Booth range.

Would free the Canucks up to acquire a winger at the deadline, and the upgrade positionally/age/potential of ROR from Booth is worth the additional asset cost to acquire him.

If I'm Dave Nonis, ROR is a guy I'm doing everything in my power to acquire. He'd look good on that team.
RoR is a FA (restricted of course) but I imagine a deal would be in place before a team would trade for him.

Old
02-13-2013, 06:55 PM
Diamonddog01
Diamond in the rough

Quote:

Mmm...I think we could use a more estabished two-way 3rd line C with a bit more size for the playoffs, personally. Not that there are that many around/available...

Old
02-13-2013, 06:59 PM
givemeda411

Quote:
is hockeywidow considered reliable when it comes to nucks news?
Is she still posting? Where? She used to be right about a lot of things.

Old
02-13-2013, 07:03 PM
vanuck
#Gaunce4GM

Quote:
Mmm...I think we could use a more estabished two-way 3rd line C with a bit more size for the playoffs, personally. Not that there are that many around/available...
Those types are hard to find, and I imagine you'll be paying a hefty price to get them too.

Old
02-13-2013, 07:26 PM
Wisp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master P View Post
Is she still posting? Where? She used to be right about a lot of things.
CanucksCorner. Hasn't said anything illuminating, though had a long sarcastic rant about the goalie controversy just being media ********.

Old
02-13-2013, 07:54 PM
vector209

Quote:
Originally Posted by YogiCanucks View Post
Why are the same people that complain about Booth getting paid 4.25 million trying to trade for O'Reily?
Because ROR is young and his play is improving while Booth is older and has shown regression post Richards hit. And he's not a defensive forward either.

Old
02-13-2013, 08:07 PM
Max Kellerman
dim jim

Why do you guys think Torres wasn't liked in the room? Any particular incidents? I wouldn't mind bringing him in for a low pick. Hansen-Lapierre-Torres was arguably are best line in the finals.

Old
02-13-2013, 08:09 PM
HighAndTight
Pimp Squad For Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Canuck View Post
Why do you guys think Torres wasn't liked in the room? Any particular incidents? I wouldn't mind bringing him in for a low pick. Hansen-Lapierre-Torres was arguably are best line in the finals.
Wasn't it said that Higgins waited to re-sign until Torres was gone?

Old
02-13-2013, 08:11 PM
Kassassin
#TeamSchneider

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyPipkin View Post
Yup.

That and Torres made comments about teammate wives and what not.

Old
02-13-2013, 08:11 PM
Max Kellerman
dim jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyPipkin View Post
To be honest the first I heard about that was in this thread. Maybe you guys know something I don't.

Old
02-13-2013, 08:12 PM
StringerBell

Hockey Widow post copy pasted:

Quote:
I suppose that the fear is how an overly, outspoken Christian can contaminate a dressing room. And it can happen. The difference here is that I am sure MG (sure as in I know) checked and double checked to make sure that neither Hamhuis nor Booth would be that negative influence due to their beliefs. He did his due diligence as best he could before he brought either player on board. So I too do not see it ever being a problem. Last season there was a clash of beliefs surrounding Torres. Players loved his on ice play and loved going to battle with him but off the ice he was described as a ****ing pig. His lifestyle, his treatment of the opposite sex and his dressing room talk got under the skin of a few players. Due to that he did not fit the culture that the Canucks dressing room was beginning to take on. So it was no surprise that hew as not offered a contract by the Canucks. One of the players that had said he would not re-sign was Higgins.

If you listen to Higgins post season interview he says he enjoyed playing with most of the guys and moving forward he would make a decision about whether he would re-sign in Vancouver as the summer went on. What was telling was that he said "most of the guys". The message he had delivered was that he was waiting to see what happen to Torres and he would not re-sign if Torres did.

Higgins was not the only player offended by Torres and his off ice way of life. But he was the only one who was not under contract who could make a point. So a choice was made.
Made right after Booth was acquired.

Old
02-13-2013, 08:13 PM
94eleven
fka Loosemonkeys

Word on the street around here is that the Avs have offered O'reilly the same contract they gave Duchene (2 x 3.5) and are not willing to budge. They don't want to give out big second contracts and wants them to be bridge contracts like Subban's as well. O'reilly originally was apparently asking for 5 x 5 but apparently softened. The fact that the Avs aren't negotiating and have essentially given him a take it or leave it has mad him angry and apparently is why they are now considering trading him.

I don't think the Canucks are a good fir because from all accounts the biggest need for the Avs is on D where the running joke is that they have a #1 (questionable at best) and 6 bottom pairing guys. I don't think they would want Ballard (though he was drafted by the Avs) but I think that would be the only chance the Canucks have. Something in the Ballard, Schroeder, 1st range (maybe add in a forward for a D swap of some order as well)

Closed Thread