HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Armchair GM Thread - Part XXXII - Kessel Run Edition

Closed Thread

Old
02-13-2013, 10:27 PM
Wheatley
We Rabite You

vCash: 500
So has Kesler playing on the third line been discussed much? Just for the first while, to help take the pressure of scoring off him while he gets his legs back under him and gets back into game shape. Just concentrate on playing some solid defensive hockey for awhile and see what happens.

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Raymond - Schroeder - Hansen

Booth - Kesler - Kassian

Higgins - Lapierre - Weise

If the second line can hold its own and keep using its speed like it has been, that's a pretty solid lineup.

Old
02-13-2013, 11:07 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitseleh View Post
I might also hold O'Reilly in a slightly lower regard than most. I think he's a good player, someone who should be a tough minute eater for years to come, but he played almost exclusively with Landeskog last year and whenever I watched Colorado play, it seemed like he was the one driving the bus on that line.

Also, there probably isn't a lot of surplus value in O'Reilly if he's really asking for around $5 million per season.
Could be true to an extent, though O'Reilly had a whopping 101 takeaways last season to Landeskog's 58. There is no consistency with this stat from team to team but the gap between O'Reilly and everyone else on his own club was over 40 takeaways...

I don't think the Canucks have what Colorado will be looking for if they move him. You would think a young dman will be the target.

Old
02-13-2013, 11:34 PM
BrandonL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheatley View Post
So has Kesler playing on the third line been discussed much? Just for the first while, to help take the pressure of scoring off him while he gets his legs back under him and gets back into game shape. Just concentrate on playing some solid defensive hockey for awhile and see what happens.

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Booth - Kesler - Kassian

Higgins - Lapierre - Weise

If the second line can hold its own and keep using its speed like it has been, that's a pretty solid lineup.
3rd line?

Looks like a pretty imposing second line to me.

Old
02-13-2013, 11:36 PM
BuzzBuzz

If for some reason Maholtra isn't available for the playoffs I wouldn't mind seeing Canucks acquiring Steckel for a low draft pick. Last year he won 58% of faceoffs and played the 2nd most SH TOI/G as a forward. Gives the Canucks another left handed faceoff guy that play on the 4th line with Lapierre. A bit slow but a big body.

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Booth-Kesler-Kassian
Raymond-Schroeder-Hansen
Higgins-Lapierre-Steckel

Old
02-14-2013, 12:24 AM
biturbo19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandonlee View Post
3rd line?

Looks like a pretty imposing second line to me.
No, but he put the Schroeder line on top of the Kesler line. That means it's the 3rd line.

Old
02-14-2013, 12:35 AM
Burke's Evil Spirit

If we move Ballard, it should be to make room for a RHS d-man who could let Edler go back to playing his natural side. Either we graduate Tanev to the top 4 or put the new d-man there. Visnovsky would be a pretty good fit. So would Mark Streit, another pending UFA. Both are left shots who play the right side.

Old
02-14-2013, 12:42 AM
LeftCoast

I'd be very tempted to leave the Raymond - Schroeder - Hansen line together. Call it a 3rd line, call it a 2nd line, but it's an effective line that brings a great combination of speed, skill, relentless fore checking and defensive awareness.

Kesler, regardless of what line he initially plays on, gives us another 55% face off guy. Schroeder's only real weakness so far has been his 40% face off percentage (and Ebbett is only 45%). And based on last year's usage, Kesler is the only centre who regularly was used to take face offs in all three zones.

If the Sedins can find some chemistry with Kassian, I'd put Burrows with Kesler and Booth as Burrows is probably better able to play at speed than Kassian.

Maybe initially AV could move Kesler to the wing, until Booth returns, but having Kesler and Schroeder on the same line means Lapierre centers the 3rd line, so we have to retain Ebbett or Malhotra. This is probably not possible once Booth returns.

Daniel Henrik Kassian
Booth Kesler Burrows
Raymond Schroeder Hansen
Higgins Lapierre Weise/Volpatti

Waive Ebbett and assign him to Chicago. Offer Malhotra an assistant coach position if he retires. We can only afford to carry 1 extra forward as Gillis will likely want to keep Alberts and Barker for defensive depth.

Old
02-14-2013, 12:58 AM
OgoBoHo

vCash: 944
After seeing how well Raymond - Schroeder - Hansen looked, I'd like to see this:

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Booth - Kesler - Kassian
Higgins - Lapierre - Weise/Malhotra/Volpatti

Can roll all four lines and not have a worry. If Booth isn't performing, swap him and Higgins for a while.

Old
02-14-2013, 12:59 AM
AndyPipkin
PSN: Lord_Of_War

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG Canuck View Post
After seeing how well Raymond - Schroeder - Hansen looked, I'd like to see this:

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Booth - Kesler - Kassian

Can roll all four lines and not have a worry. If Booth isn't performing, swap him and Higgins for a while.
I like the way you think.

Old
02-14-2013, 01:25 AM
Bieksallent

Quote:

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Booth - Kesler - Kassian

Which line takes primarily defensive zone draws after the 4th? Do you go with Kesler and possibly hurt his offensive output or do you trust in Schroeds?

Old
02-14-2013, 01:28 AM
aandbreatheme

Didn't we go with Raymond - Hodgson - Hansen during the 2011 playoffs? Of course Raymond was bumped up to the second (after the Samuelsson injury?), and Hodgson was eventually benched... and Lapierre took over the 3C role?

Sorry, lots of question marks here.

Old
02-14-2013, 01:29 AM
thepuckmonster
Global Moderator
Professional Winner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andbreatheme View Post
Didn't we go with Raymond - Hodgson - Hansen during the 2011 playoffs? Of course Raymond was bumped up to the second (after the Samuelsson injury?), and Hodgson was eventually benched... and Lapierre took over the 3C role?

Sorry, lots of question marks here.
Hodgson played limited 4th line minutes I think.

Old
02-14-2013, 01:31 AM
aandbreatheme

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepuckmonster View Post
Hodgson played limited 4th line minutes I think.
Yeah, that's probably right. I'm just worried about Shroeder/Kassian come playoff time (and you know, the team in general, lol).

Old
02-14-2013, 01:34 AM
thepuckmonster
Global Moderator
Professional Winner.

Quote:
Yeah, that's probably right. I'm just worried about Shroeder/Kassian come playoff time (and you know, the team in general, lol).
Fair enough, but I think Hodgson's biggest weakness in the post season would be his lack of footspeed and physicality. Both of which Kass and Schroeds have no problem receiving or dishing out.

Old
02-14-2013, 01:34 AM
kanuck87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bieksallent View Post
Which line takes primarily defensive zone draws after the 4th? Do you go with Kesler and possibly hurt his offensive output or do you trust in Schroeds?
Kesler or the Sedins, whichever line is fresher. You can't completely avoid putting those two lines on in those situations. They're the ones that get the bulk of the 60 minutes out there, so to get them their 18-21 minutes each, they'll inevitably have to take some defensive zone faceoffs. If our 4th line took all or even the vast majority of the defensive zone faceoffs, they would be playing way too often.

Old
02-14-2013, 01:47 AM
OgoBoHo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bieksallent View Post
I'm comfortable with any line out there in our own zone with the lines I posted, honestly. We have forwards that are all pretty responsible in their own ends on each line. I think you can trust Schroeder and his line because they are so good in their own end. A line of Raymond - Schroeder - Hansen is more than capable of handling defensive situations, so as for your question, I say the third line.

This way it frees up Kesler and his line to try and just focus on producing offense. Not to say the third line shouldn't focus on that, but I think they're more than reliable in their own end to start defensively. Plus, with their speed, they can easily transition onto offense, so I don't think it would hamper their offensive game much, if at all.

Old
02-14-2013, 01:48 AM
Canadian Gold X3
Stupid sexy Sven

Quote:
I think that the Speed line would give bigger, slower teams massive fits.

Old
02-14-2013, 01:49 AM
AndyPipkin
PSN: Lord_Of_War

Quote:
I'm comfortable with any line out there in our own zone with the lines I posted, honestly. We have forwards that are all pretty responsible in their own ends on each line. I think you can trust Schroeder and his line because they are so good in their own end. A line of Raymond - Schroeder - Hansen is more than capable of handling defensive situations, so as for your question, I say the third line.

This way it frees up Kesler and his line to try and just focus on producing offense. Not to say the third line shouldn't focus on that, but I think they're more than reliable in their own end to start defensively. Plus, with their speed, they can easily transition onto offense, so I don't think it would hamper their offensive game much, if at all.
Kesler can always come out to take defensive zone draws also. Same way we use Manny.

Old
02-14-2013, 01:52 AM
OgoBoHo

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyPipkin View Post
Kesler can always come out to take defensive zone draws also. Same way we use Manny.
Yeah, if Schroeder is having a bad night on the dot and it's on Kesler's strong side we can do Raymond - Kesler - Hansen, and once they exit the zone, Kesler goes off for a change and Schroeder comes on. Can do the same if it is on Manny's strong side, where that would then be on Schroeder's weak side of the dot.

Old
02-14-2013, 01:56 AM
Sergei Shirokov

Alright seem like we have the playoff line-up figured out.

Someone print off a copy and mail it to AV.

Old
02-14-2013, 01:59 AM
The Optimist

vCash: 400
Quote:
Can't have it both ways though. Can't have players on ELCs and then worrying about them come the playoffs.

Old
02-14-2013, 02:01 AM
aandbreatheme

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Optimist View Post
Can't have it both ways though. Can't have players on ELCs and then worrying about them come the playoffs.
Yeah, I'm not saying ship them out. They have filled some big holes in our line-up thus far.

Old
02-14-2013, 02:06 AM
Wizeman*

Quote:
Fair enough, but I think Hodgson's biggest weakness in the post season would be his lack of footspeed and physicality. Both of which Kass and Schroeds have no problem receiving or dishing out.
This

And unfortunately for the Sabres, it aint going to ever get better.

Old
02-14-2013, 02:14 AM
YogiCanucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisp View Post
No one has overpaid for O'Brien.
No one is quite sure how... but Shane O'Brien returned a 1st round pick back in '07

Old
02-14-2013, 02:17 AM
OgoBoHo

Quote:
This, and his defensive abilities too, which prevented him from moving up the lineup since he is not a useful fourth line player. Lacks speed, lacks physicality, wasn't good defensively...not really what you want being said from someone who is playing on your fourth line.

Closed Thread