HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Armchair GM Thread - Part XXXII - Kessel Run Edition

Closed Thread

Old
02-14-2013, 06:29 PM
David71

vCash: 500
add dave steckel to the list for faceoff

Old
02-14-2013, 06:30 PM
JuniorNelson

vCash: 50
All this should have been sorted out in the off-season! The club needs another twelve games to admit Malhotra can't see well enough to play? This is BS or incompetence.

This exposes further Gillis' bizarre actions around the center position last off-season. He essentially came to play with one center being a known commodity! After Sedin (who hasn't scored a goal this season) there were an injured Kesler, a bulked up Lapierre and a disabled Malhotra. Why?

Gillis watched the entire off-season go by! He must have been given a mulligan by Aquilini for last season's play-offs.

I do not think a guy like Gillis will suddenly morph into a trading GM. He won't add anyone now, or at the deadline. So far, Gillis response to being ousted by the eighth seed in last season's playoffs has been to downgrade Salo to Garrison and extend the Coach!

Ottawa, Washington, Florida and Columbus must be trying to make deals right now. Is Gillis?

Old
02-14-2013, 06:33 PM
David71

wait and see what gillis does? now and heading into the trade deadline. kesler will be playing

Old
02-14-2013, 06:37 PM
VanEric

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuniorNelson View Post
All this should have been sorted out in the off-season! The club needs another twelve games to admit Malhotra can't see well enough to play? This is BS or incompetence.

This exposes further Gillis' bizarre actions around the center position last off-season. He essentially came to play with one center being a known commodity! After Sedin (who hasn't scored a goal this season) there were an injured Kesler, a bulked up Lapierre and a disabled Malhotra. Why?

Gillis watched the entire off-season go by! He must have been given a mulligan by Aquilini for last season's play-offs.

I do not think a guy like Gillis will suddenly morph into a trading GM. He won't add anyone now, or at the deadline. So far, Gillis response to being ousted by the eighth seed in last season's playoffs has been to downgrade Salo to Garrison and extend the Coach!

Ottawa, Washington, Florida and Columbus must be trying to make deals right now. Is Gillis?
you remember that lockout thing?

Old
02-14-2013, 06:39 PM
vanwest

Quote:

Sedin, Kesler, Schroeder, Lapierre and Ebbett is not terrible depth at center. In fact, it's pretty good. It looks like he gave Malhotra a full off season to prove he could play. Nothing wrong with that. I suspect that he may be targetting another center who can win faceoffs.

Old
02-14-2013, 06:40 PM
m9

vCash: 50
Quote:

The team is 8-2-2 and Kesler is now back. Seems to have worked out ok.

Old
02-14-2013, 06:46 PM
vanuck
#Gaunce4GM

Btw this also highlights the lack of C depth in the organization. Ebbett is not an ideal center even on the 4th line (perhaps he could get by at wing), and nobody else on the Wolves is even close to ready.

Old
02-14-2013, 06:49 PM
David71

find some via trade/waivers

Old
02-14-2013, 06:52 PM
Tiranis

I don't think it's that big of a deal at the moment. Burrows was actually pretty good at center and could fill in if somebody gets injured. Kassian then slides up to play with the Sedins.

Old
02-14-2013, 06:56 PM
BlamBlam

Goc would be a good 3rd line option if the need is there at the deadline. I can't imagine the price being too crazy.

2nd + 4th?
2nd + prospect?
2nd + Alberts + prospect?

Old
02-14-2013, 07:07 PM
Tiranis

Where's Bleach? He'll be happy to hear this ():

Quote:
More Lebrun on #TSN690: #Habs Lars Eller is drawing a lot of trade interest across the league; wouldn't be surprised if he's moved this year

Old
02-14-2013, 07:11 PM
Bad News Benning
no news is good news

vCash: 390
Send a message via MSN to Bad News Benning
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlamBlam View Post
Goc would be a good 3rd line option if the need is there at the deadline. I can't imagine the price being too crazy.

2nd + 4th?
2nd + prospect?
2nd + Alberts + prospect?
51, 55, 73, 51, 57. Goc's GP totals the last 5 years. What are the chances this guy is durable enough for a long playoff run? He's already missed some games this year.

Old
02-14-2013, 07:18 PM
Pump n Dump

Quote:

He could afford to. Having brilliantly drafted and developed Schroeder and traded CH for ZK long before the off-season, Gillis masterfully positioned the team to succeed notwithstanding the challenges posed by Kesler's surgery and Booth's untimely injury and at the same time showing patience and loyalty to Malholtra. The man is a genius.

Old
02-14-2013, 07:23 PM
TheDiver*

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanuck View Post
Btw this also highlights the lack of C depth in the organization. Ebbett is not an ideal center even on the 4th line (perhaps he could get by at wing), and nobody else on the Wolves is even close to ready.
How is that a lack of depth? He's the 5th centre.

Look at the other top teams in the league at centre:

The Bruins are the best in the NHL:
David Krejci
Patrice Bergeron
Tyler Seguin
Chris Kelly

Then all other top teams are comparable to the Canucks:
Blackhawks:
Jonathan Toews
Dave Bolland
Andrew Shaw
Marcus Kruger

Kings:
Anze Kopitar
Jarret Stoll
Mike Richards
Trevor Lewis

Devils:
Travis Zajac
Adam Henrique
Ryan Carter
Jacob Josefson

Penguins:
Sidney Crosby
Evgeni Malkin
Brandon Sutter
Joe Vitale

Sharks:
Joe Pavelski
Joe Thornton
Michal Handzus
Logan Couture

Old
02-14-2013, 07:26 PM
BlamBlam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edler Von Gud View Post
51, 55, 73, 51, 57. Goc's GP totals the last 5 years. What are the chances this guy is durable enough for a long playoff run? He's already missed some games this year.
Probably not that great. Out of the options that are going to be available though (fit cap-wise and on selling teams) he should be considered.

Old
02-14-2013, 07:29 PM
StringerBell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
I don't think it's that big of a deal at the moment. Burrows was actually pretty good at center and could fill in if somebody gets injured. Kassian then slides up to play with the Sedins.
This sounds fine in theory, but I don't like the idea of breaking up your top line to fix a hole in the bottom 6. If the Sedins and Burrows are producing then the first priority should be to keep them together, in which case we don't have many options elsewhere in that regard.

Old
02-14-2013, 07:32 PM
VanEric

Quote:
Originally Posted by StringerBell View Post
This sounds fine in theory, but I don't like the idea of breaking up your top line to fix a hole in the bottom 6. If the Sedins and Burrows are producing then the first priority should be to keep them together, in which case we don't have many options elsewhere in that regard.
Lets be real, any team that loses their $5 million Selke winning, first line PP playing, first PK unit playing, second line centre is going to be in some trouble.

Old
02-14-2013, 07:42 PM
me2
Team Ben Anti-Tank 0

vCash: 93
Quote:

He might have been banking on the Bozak/Kadri deal going down with Burke. That's 2 centre options there.

I'd have been more worried if Manny was our 2C or 3C for the year, but at 4C Lappy is an easy switch in. With Manny officially gone I think the search will be on for real, though Lappy is a solid 4C, it wouldn't hurt now to chase a big 3C capable guy (Laich, Dubinsky, ROR) and push Schroeder down a line though he'd still play with Raymond.

Last edited by me2: 02-14-2013 at 07:49 PM.
Old
02-14-2013, 07:46 PM
StringerBell

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanEric View Post
Lets be real, any team that loses their $5 million Selke winning, first line PP playing, first PK unit playing, second line centre is going to be in some trouble.
Not sure how that relates to my post.

I'm saying I don't like the idea of breaking up the top line to fix a hole in the bottom six. AV did this last year by refusing to put the AMEX line back together so he could keep Higgins with Pahlsson and Hansen. I would have much rather seen Higgins, who had good chemistry with Kesler and Booth, on that 2nd line instead of Raymond. Likewise I don't want to see AV pull Burrows from the top line if they're producing because he needs a hole filled on the 3rd/4th lines. IMO the higher line should always take priority over the lower one.

Old
02-14-2013, 08:13 PM
vanuck
#Gaunce4GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipChipperson View Post
How is that a lack of depth? He's the 5th centre.

Look at the other top teams in the league at centre:

The Bruins are the best in the NHL:
David Krejci
Patrice Bergeron
Tyler Seguin
Chris Kelly

Then all other top teams are comparable to the Canucks:
Blackhawks:
Jonathan Toews
Dave Bolland
Andrew Shaw
Marcus Kruger

Kings:
Anze Kopitar
Jarret Stoll
Mike Richards
Trevor Lewis

Devils:
Travis Zajac
Adam Henrique
Ryan Carter
Jacob Josefson

Penguins:
Sidney Crosby
Evgeni Malkin
Brandon Sutter
Joe Vitale

Sharks:
Joe Pavelski
Joe Thornton
Michal Handzus
Logan Couture
There's a lack of depth in the organization because there's nobody in the minors who's ready and can step into even a 4th line role and contribute.

As for comparables, I'd argue BOS and LA are deeper. You're missing Peverley + Campbell, and Carter + Fraser from those teams respectively. Right now with Manny gone we only have 4 (Ebbett is a marginal option at best). Perhaps you can count Burrows too but most strong teams have 6 or more. It's why more than a few posters have called for getting a center back in a trade.

Edit: I should mention STL - they have 6 too - Backes, McDonald, Steen, Berglund, Sobotka and Nichol...

Last edited by vanuck: 02-14-2013 at 08:21 PM.
Old
02-14-2013, 08:38 PM
Bourne Endeavor
HFBoards: Night's Watch

vCash: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
Where's Bleach? He'll be happy to hear this ():
I'd love to get Eller. He can play both center and wing, prefers an offensive oriented game and have been quite impressive when given the opportunity - a rarity this year. Thing is, we do not have a lot the Habs would want. Gaunce + 2nd is the bare minimum, and I could see them demanding more.

Old
02-14-2013, 09:26 PM
Diamonddog01
Diamond in the rough

I still think we need another centre, and I'm sure Gillis will target one at the deadline.

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows/Kassian
Booth - Kesler - Hansen/Kassian/Burrows
Raymond - Schroeder - Kassian/Hansen
Weise - Lappy - Volpatti

Looks ok for the time being, but given how the team has been constructed you know that the team likes to roll with a LH centreman for side specific defensive zone draws.

Schroeder has been a pleasant surprise, but I don't think he's an ideal option for the rigours of the playoffs in the Western conference - at least not yet.

We've been at our most successful (2011) when we had a premier shutdown 3rd line C, which freed Kesler to play more of a two-way game (while coincidentally scoring 40 goals and winning the Selke). The team went and traded for Pahlson last year as they wanted the same thing.

Not sure who they'd target, but apart from Cullen another player I think that could be had for cheap would be Boyd Gordon (already mentioned I think), as well as Matt Hendricks.

Old
02-14-2013, 09:33 PM
BrandonL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamonddog01 View Post
I still think we need another centre, and I'm sure Gillis will target one at the deadline.

Weise - Lappy - Volpatti

Looks ok for the time being, but given how the team has been constructed you know that the team likes to roll with a LH centreman for side specific defensive zone draws.

Schroeder has been a pleasant surprise, but I don't think he's an ideal option for the rigours of the playoffs in the Western conference - at least not yet.

We've been at our most successful (2011) when we had a premier shutdown 3rd line C, which freed Kesler to play more of a two-way game (while coincidentally scoring 40 goals and winning the Selke). The team went and traded for Pahlson last year as they wanted the same thing.

Not sure who they'd target, but apart from Cullen another player I think that could be had for cheap would be Boyd Gordon (already mentioned I think), as well as Matt Hendricks.
Oh god, let's hope this team doesn't revert to trying to win every game 2-1 again.

I think the Raymond / Schroeder / Hansen line would offer some intriguing possibilities in the post season. Great speed, some offensive upside, and all three of those players are above average defensively.

Sure they won't be the most physical line in the world, but their speed could create some significant mismatches in a 7 game series against other teams third D pairing.

Old
02-14-2013, 09:33 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

vCash: 696
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamonddog01 View Post

Weise - Lappy - Volpatti

This team can't score in the playoffs. Replacing an offensive rookie center with a plug on our 3rd line essentially does what we did last year with Pahlsson and turns this team into a 1 or 2 line offensive team. It makes no sense to me to replace Schroeder with someone like Hendricks or Gordon or even Cullen.

02-14-2013, 09:45 PM
Diamonddog01
Diamond in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
This team can't score in the playoffs. Replacing an offensive rookie center with a plug on our 3rd line essentially does what we did last year with Pahlsson and turns this team into a 1 or 2 line offensive team. It makes no sense to me to replace Schroeder with someone like Hendricks or Gordon or even Cullen.
Just like it made no sense last year to replace Hodgson with Palhson.

It's how our team is build, how AV coaches and utilizes our players. The new player might not replace Schroeder (who admittedly is much better defensively than Hodgson) but they could trade for a guy like Gordon and use him as a winger on the 4th as they did Malhotra.

There is absolutely no doubt in my mind Gillis will target a LH centre who is good at faceoffs.

Closed Thread