HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

The Armchair GM Thread - Part XXXII - Kessel Run Edition

Closed Thread

Old
02-15-2013, 02:17 PM
Outside99*
Sedins off Kas

vCash: 796
Canucks are almost set up front.

1st line Daniel, Henrik, Burr
2nd line ?, Kes and Kassian.
3rd line Raymond, ?, Hansen

Higgins and Schroeder are the ? - should be upgraded if at all possible with more skill and size. Booth I've never seen the fit here.

4th line is set with Lapierre, Weise and Volpatti. They're serviceable, gritty and still have room to improve.

Cap wise, you have $10MM to play with (Malhotra, Booth, Higgins, Schroeder). Chips include the latter 2 plus Gaunce, Jensen, 1st, 2nd, Corrado and some less valuable pieces - Tommernes, Andersson, etc..

you keep Luongo for this year. Next summer you move him as well as Booth (buyout?) And Ballard which gets you within the reduced cap.

So simple

Old
02-15-2013, 02:18 PM
tantalum

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alflives View Post
Groin strains don't take 4 to 6 weeks to heal, unless the injury includes the abdominal core too.
That is not true. For a severe strain 4-6 weeks is about what you are looking at. Some will heal quicker others not as quick. And a severe strain is likely what we are talking about here as it was reported Booth had difficulty walking when it happened. Maybe it's the word strain that makes people think it's not a severe thing when what it means is a tearing of the muscle. That can be a very painful thing that takes quite some time to heal if it is severe.

Old
02-15-2013, 02:22 PM
crazycanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamonddog01 View Post
Why? He's signed for another 2 years at 1.6M which is a good deal. The Jets have absolutely no reason to move him unless it improves their team - a 2nd round pick ain't going to do that.

I also like Zack Smith from Ottawa, but again - good player on a good deal signed for several more years.

For this year's deadline, the only realistic options are Cullen, Gordon or Hendricks, with the former two being contingent upon their respective teams playoff aspirations.
Boyd Gordon is a Right Handed Center, already have that in Lapierre. Minnesota is looking to make a playoff push, and is within the division. Hendricks depending on if the Capitals can turn it around may be available.

Slater is just as realistic a target as the 3 you listed there.

Old
02-15-2013, 02:29 PM
Catamarca Livin

We need a fourth line center like we need a third testicle. Give me a very good second line center for Lu and we are set. Schoeder can fill in for injuries. He is good defensively. We just trade Kesler for Manny. The center position is not bad now. Maybe we could use a center/winger for depth. Faceoffs are important but are not everything perhaps the good third line center can be good on faceoffs as well. I think Gillis will still make a trade. We have a great chance this year why keep 5.3 million sitting on the bench when you could get one more very good forward as well as one good dman.

Old
02-15-2013, 02:34 PM
StringerBell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alflives View Post
Yes, it looks like more than a groin issue. Have not other Canucks gone through this very surgery? Kesler after the Cup run of 2011?
No it doesn't.

Old
02-15-2013, 02:37 PM
PRNuck
Wow. What a day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catamarca Livin View Post
We need a fourth line center like we need a third testicle. Give me a very good second line center for Lu and we are set. Schoeder can fill in for injuries. He is good defensively. We just trade Kesler for Manny. The center position is not bad now. Maybe we could use a center/winger for depth. Faceoffs are important but are not everything perhaps the good third line center can be good on faceoffs as well. I think Gillis will still make a trade. We have a great chance this year why keep 5.3 million sitting on the bench when you could get one more very good forward as well as one good dman.
Thank you! Every year we're clamouring on these forums for Matt Cullen or Travis Moen or this year's three headed monster of Steckel/Gordon/Slater and every year we just keep on winning without them while their teams continue to suck.

Old
02-15-2013, 02:38 PM
Diamonddog01

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycanuck View Post
Boyd Gordon is a Right Handed Center, already have that in Lapierre. Minnesota is looking to make a playoff push, and is within the division. Hendricks depending on if the Capitals can turn it around may be available.

Slater is just as realistic a target as the 3 you listed there.
No, he really isn't. Why would Winnipeg trade a good 3rd line centre on a good deal signed for 2 more years? What possible incentive do they have to do that, unless they are getting a better player coming back?

Old
02-15-2013, 02:43 PM
DJOpus

Luongo + 2nd for Weiss + 1st... Then
Van 1st + Fla 1st for Perry
=
Win?

Old
02-15-2013, 02:57 PM
The Optimist

vCash: 1258
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJOpus View Post
Luongo + 2nd for Weiss + 1st... Then
Van 1st + Fla 1st for Perry
=
Win?
The Canucks already have a logjam of forwards. Upgrade them sure, but you need to get rid of them first.

Old
02-15-2013, 02:58 PM
crazycanuck

Quote:
No, he really isn't. Why would Winnipeg trade a good 3rd line centre on a good deal signed for 2 more years? What possible incentive do they have to do that, unless they are getting a better player coming back?
Why would Minnesota, who are gunning for the playoffs trade away a player who is playing the 4th most amongst their forwards? Specially within the division?

Why would Phoenix trade Gordon (their 3rd line C) when they are in a playoff race?

Washington's Hendrick's is the most realistic of these 3 but if the Capitals get back into the playoff race why would they trade him?

If any of those teams aren't realistically going to make the playoffs come the deadline, then possibly these guys are available, but if Winnipeg is out of the playoff picture as well, I see no reason why Winnipeg would be against trading Slater.

Old
02-15-2013, 03:12 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Optimist View Post
The Canucks already have a logjam of forwards. Upgrade them sure, but you need to get rid of them first.
I don't see what's wrong with:

Sedin-Sedin-Perry
Burrows-Weiss-Kesler
Booth-Schroeder-Kassian
Higgins-Lapierre-Hansen
Raymond

02-15-2013, 03:15 PM
Diamonddog01

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycanuck View Post
Why would Minnesota, who are gunning for the playoffs trade away a player who is playing the 4th most amongst their forwards? Specially within the division?

Why would Phoenix trade Gordon (their 3rd line C) when they are in a playoff race?

Washington's Hendrick's is the most realistic of these 3 but if the Capitals get back into the playoff race why would they trade him?

If any of those teams aren't realistically going to make the playoffs come the deadline, then possibly these guys are available, but if Winnipeg is out of the playoff picture as well, I see no reason why Winnipeg would be against trading Slater.
As I said - with Minneosta and Phoenix it is dependent on where they are in regards to the playoff hunt.

Winnipeg is against trading Jim Slater as he is a good bottom-6 C who is signed for another two years. Not sure why you are having trouble with this - players on good contracts, regardless of whether their team makes the playoffs or not) are not going to be traded for picks/crappy prospects.

The other players are impending UFA's. Huge difference.

Old
02-15-2013, 03:43 PM
dave babych returns

Speaking of the Jets, anyone think Nik Antropov is worth a look? He's huge (albeit not vicious by any stretch), he can play center, he can play special teams, he's ice cold this year but historically has been able to contribute offense..

It's been years since I've seen much of him but I don't see too many even 2nd rate centers hitting unrestricted free agency that might be available at the deadline. If the Jets want to use his money elsewhere (they need to extend Wheeler, Little, Burmistrov and Bogosian this summer) they might look to get some value for him..

Old
02-15-2013, 03:50 PM
Shareefruck

Quote:
Lapierre is a shut down center when he isnt bulked up. He shut down the opposition with Hansen and Torres 2 years ago in the playoffs.
My point being, if that 4th line is going to be used as a defensive line, which I think we can use, I'd like a better 3rd defensive player than Weise/Volpatti.

Old
02-15-2013, 03:52 PM
Shareefruck

Quote:
I think we need one only in case Schroeder falters in the playoffs and can't handle tough minutes, which could really go either way.

Old
02-15-2013, 03:54 PM
crazycanuck

Quote:
As I said - with Minneosta and Phoenix it is dependent on where they are in regards to the playoff hunt.

Winnipeg is against trading Jim Slater as he is a good bottom-6 C who is signed for another two years. Not sure why you are having trouble with this - players on good contracts, regardless of whether their team makes the playoffs or not) are not going to be traded for picks/crappy prospects.

The other players are impending UFA's. Huge difference.
The other players are on good contracts that expire this year and if these teams are in the playoff hunt (most likely they will) they will not be moved.

The only one I see being expendable even if his team is in the playoff hunt, is Hendricks. Cullen and Gordon are key parts of their teams and will not be moved unless their teams bomb which I highly doubt they will.

Old
02-15-2013, 04:08 PM
DJOpus

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Optimist View Post
Are you serious? Your biggest problem with this is that we might have to waive Volpatti and Ebbet for Perry and Weiss?

If that's the issue I say that we try to make this work.

Old
02-15-2013, 04:11 PM
MajorCanuck
Cup Please

Quote:
Are you serious? Your biggest problem with this is that we might have to waive Volpatti and Ebbet for Perry and Weiss?

If that's the issue I say that we try to make this work.
I'm sure Booth wont mind being replaced by Perry.

Old
02-15-2013, 04:20 PM
Diamonddog01

Tell me again why Anaheim, who is almost definitely going to make the playoffs this year, trades one of their best players to a conference rival for their playoff run?

Doubt we get Weise either (I don't think Gillis will give up a 1st, Luongo would be ideal but who knows if Florida is still in the hunt and/or would go for that) but at least it's a tiny bit realistic.

Old
02-15-2013, 04:22 PM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave babych returns View Post
Speaking of the Jets, anyone think Nik Antropov is worth a look? He's huge (albeit not vicious by any stretch), he can play center, he can play special teams, he's ice cold this year but historically has been able to contribute offense..

It's been years since I've seen much of him but I don't see too many even 2nd rate centers hitting unrestricted free agency that might be available at the deadline. If the Jets want to use his money elsewhere (they need to extend Wheeler, Little, Burmistrov and Bogosian this summer) they might look to get some value for him..
I'm curious to know how good he is both ways. Isn't he their No. 2 center though? And I was always under the impression Winnipeg had lots of cap space to keep them all anyway while giving those raises.

Old
02-15-2013, 04:24 PM
hackey

It's too bad Gillis couldn't land Jagr to play with the Sedin's for a year or so
But he was focused more on getting Doan at that time

Old
02-15-2013, 04:29 PM
DJOpus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorCanuck View Post
I'm sure Booth wont mind being replaced by Perry.
There's a place for him...he's clicked with Weiss in the past.

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Higgins - Kesler - Perry
Booth - Weiss - Kassian
Raymond - Schroeder/Lapierre - Hansen

Old
02-15-2013, 04:30 PM
MajorCanuck
Cup Please

Quote:
There's a place for him...he's clicked with Weiss in the past.

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Higgins - Kesler - Perry
Booth - Weiss - Kassian
Raymond - Schroeder/Lapierre - Hansen
Salary cap?

Old
02-15-2013, 04:30 PM
StringerBell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shareefruck View Post
My point being, if that 4th line is going to be used as a defensive line, which I think we can use, I'd like a better 3rd defensive player than Weise/Volpatti.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shareefruck View Post
I think we need one only in case Schroeder falters in the playoffs and can't handle tough minutes, which could really go either way.
Agreed, on both accounts.

Old
02-15-2013, 04:33 PM
The Optimist

vCash: 1258
Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorCanuck View Post
Salary cap?
Exactly. I would like to see the capgeek of that lineup.

Closed Thread