HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Armchair GM Thread - Part XXXII - Kessel Run Edition

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-16-2013, 01:33 AM
  #826
Seatoo
Never Stop Poasting
 
Seatoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: The Interior of BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,764
vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by David71 View Post
if dallas is out of the playoff picture, would jagr be of interest? even though he's 41.. adds another deadly scorer to the top 6. of course you gotta trade someone else to make it work.
I'd send back a pending UFA like Higgins or Raymond and a 2nd/B prospect but not much else

Seatoo is offline  
Old
02-16-2013, 06:57 PM
  #827
BerSTUzzi
Registered User
 
BerSTUzzi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,250
vCash: 500
Anyone have a clue who sits and where Booth fits into our lines? I know Kassian had a struggle last night but he's been pretty damn good so far this year and brings an element of size, skill and toughness. Nobody from the Raymond line should sit, Higgins is playing better and the 4th line is full of 4th liners.

BerSTUzzi is offline  
Old
02-16-2013, 07:05 PM
  #828
vanuck
#Gaunce4GM
 
vanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 14,115
vCash: 500
Probably Booth-Kesler-Kassian is my guess.

vanuck is offline  
Old
02-16-2013, 07:21 PM
  #829
Fictional Realism
What is going on?
 
Fictional Realism's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: The Crease
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,051
vCash: 894
One of Booth, Kassian or Higgins probably ends up on the fourth line I would think. I don't see them breaking up Schroeder's line unless they start to struggle.

Fictional Realism is online now  
Old
02-16-2013, 07:28 PM
  #830
Luck 6
\\_______
 
Luck 6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 8,027
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seatoo View Post
I'd send back a pending UFA like Higgins or Raymond and a 2nd/B prospect but not much else
I think there'd be higher bidders for Jagr than us. I'd think a 2nd and a better prospect like Gaunce would be the asking price.

Luck 6 is online now  
Old
02-16-2013, 07:30 PM
  #831
BerSTUzzi
Registered User
 
BerSTUzzi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,250
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Lou View Post
One of Booth, Kassian or Higgins probably ends up on the fourth line I would think. I don't see them breaking up Schroeder's line unless they start to struggle.
I just don't see any of those players fitting on our 4th line. They are all capable of much more than 4th line minutes. I guess I'm hinting at is Booth a trade card we could use?

BerSTUzzi is offline  
Old
02-16-2013, 07:33 PM
  #832
Vankiller Whale
Fire Benning
 
Vankiller Whale's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 28,940
vCash: 1800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luck 6 View Post
I think there'd be higher bidders for Jagr than us. I'd think a 2nd and a better prospect like Gaunce would be the asking price.
For a 41-year old rental? No way he gets a 2nd + recent 1st.

Jagr, Alfredsson, etc might all be good pickups to provide some solid leadership in a top-6 role at the deadine. They should all be worth about a 2nd + B prospect imo.

I'm pretty sure Dallas makes the playoffs, though, assuming Lehtonen returns before too long.

Vankiller Whale is online now  
Old
02-16-2013, 07:36 PM
  #833
vanuck
#Gaunce4GM
 
vanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 14,115
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BerSTUzzi View Post
I just don't see any of those players fitting on our 4th line. They are all capable of much more than 4th line minutes. I guess I'm hinting at is Booth a trade card we could use?
This is a good thing, having lots of depth. First world problems.

vanuck is offline  
Old
02-16-2013, 07:39 PM
  #834
monster_bertuzzi
registered user
 
monster_bertuzzi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 32,447
vCash: 500
Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Higgins-Kesler-Booth
Raymond-Schroeder-Hansen/Kassian
Volpattit-Lappiere-Hansen/Kassian

Hoping to see this. Sick depth especially if Raymond, Kassian, Schroeder can keep it up.

monster_bertuzzi is offline  
Old
02-16-2013, 07:43 PM
  #835
Seatoo
Never Stop Poasting
 
Seatoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: The Interior of BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,764
vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luck 6 View Post
I think there'd be higher bidders for Jagr than us. I'd think a 2nd and a better prospect like Gaunce would be the asking price.
Oh yes I realize that we would likely be outbid but Jagr isn't worth what is basically a 1st and a 2nd.


Someone on the trade proposal forum said something like Hanzous and a 2nd for Raymond and a fourth. He only makes 2.5M and is a UFA after this season so we wouldn't be tied down after. It's basically a swap of UFAs and picks.

That would make our lineup:

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian
Booth-Kesler-Burrows
Higgins-Handzus-Hansen - The triple H line for all the wrestling fans
Volpatti-Lapierre-Schroder - Use Schroder as a floater in the lineup and PP units.
Weise

Hamhuis-Edler
Garrison-Bieksa
Ballard-Tanev
Alberts

#1 PP unit
Sedin-Sedin-Kesler
Burrows-Edler

#2 PP unit
Higgins-Handzus-Schroder
Garrison-Bieksa

Seatoo is offline  
Old
02-16-2013, 07:54 PM
  #836
vanuck
#Gaunce4GM
 
vanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 14,115
vCash: 500
Ugh... don't want Handzus. Would be a step in the wrong direction I think.

vanuck is offline  
Old
02-16-2013, 07:56 PM
  #837
Scurr
Bear G
 
Scurr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Whalley
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,814
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanuck View Post
Ugh... don't want Handzus. Would be a step in the wrong direction I think.
Really depends on the role he's given. As a 4th line centre/winger and left hand face-off specialist he'd be great. As a 3rd line centre it would be a step back, I agree.

I wouldn't trade Raymond for him.

Scurr is offline  
Old
02-17-2013, 12:53 AM
  #838
LiquidSnake
Registered User
 
LiquidSnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 31,513
vCash: 500
The demand ROR is nuts if its true. 2 top 6ers, top prospect and a pick?

Offersheet him or try and overpay ??

LiquidSnake is offline  
Old
02-17-2013, 01:15 AM
  #839
Bleach Clean
Moderator
 
Bleach Clean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 19,360
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BerSTUzzi View Post
I just don't see any of those players fitting on our 4th line. They are all capable of much more than 4th line minutes. I guess I'm hinting at is Booth a trade card we could use?


Doubt it. The 2nd line is still in flux. Kassian is doing well, but will he continue to produce at a 2nd line rate? Booth coming off injury. Higgins has started out slow etc... It's probably best to rotate those 3 wingers on Kesler's wing before permanently deciding who gets shifted to the 4th line.


Extra depth is good. In fact, many are advocating yet another depth C option to replace Malhotra. Essentially, a 3rd liner playing on the 4th line. Perhaps pushing Lapierre to the RW.


Simplest answer: Volpatti sits in the immediate future.

Bleach Clean is online now  
Old
02-17-2013, 01:16 AM
  #840
Vankiller Whale
Fire Benning
 
Vankiller Whale's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 28,940
vCash: 1800
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSnake View Post
The demand ROR is nuts if its true. 2 top 6ers, top prospect and a pick?

Offersheet him or try and overpay ??
Do not want. Wouldn't fit in our cap structure long term.

Vankiller Whale is online now  
Old
02-17-2013, 01:26 AM
  #841
LadyJet26
WHITEOUT
 
LadyJet26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,942
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycanuck View Post
Why would Minnesota, who are gunning for the playoffs trade away a player who is playing the 4th most amongst their forwards? Specially within the division?

Why would Phoenix trade Gordon (their 3rd line C) when they are in a playoff race?

Washington's Hendrick's is the most realistic of these 3 but if the Capitals get back into the playoff race why would they trade him?

If any of those teams aren't realistically going to make the playoffs come the deadline, then possibly these guys are available, but if Winnipeg is out of the playoff picture as well, I see no reason why Winnipeg would be against trading Slater.
The Jets aren't stacked in the centre department, so that's exactly why they wouldn't trade him. He's well liked by management, coaching, etc also.

If anything, you can have the drama queen Evander Kane.

LadyJet26 is offline  
Old
02-17-2013, 01:34 AM
  #842
Bleach Clean
Moderator
 
Bleach Clean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 19,360
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanucksnWpg View Post
The Jets aren't stacked in the centre department, so that's exactly why they wouldn't trade him. He's well liked by management, coaching, etc also.

If anything, you can have the drama queen Evander Kane.

Souring on him?

Bleach Clean is online now  
Old
02-17-2013, 02:15 AM
  #843
timw33
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Victoria
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,151
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
For a 41-year old rental? No way he gets a 2nd + recent 1st.

Jagr, Alfredsson, etc might all be good pickups to provide some solid leadership in a top-6 role at the deadine. They should all be worth about a 2nd + B prospect imo.

I'm pretty sure Dallas makes the playoffs, though, assuming Lehtonen returns before too long.
They will get 1st round picks at the very minimum. Deadline inflates the market to a crazy degree. Gaustad received a 1st round pick for christ's sake.

timw33 is offline  
Old
02-17-2013, 02:58 AM
  #844
JuniorNelson
Registered User
 
JuniorNelson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: E.Vancouver
Country: Australia-Aboriginal
Posts: 6,980
vCash: 50
I think Gillis stands pat at the deadline. He has never stacked for a run before. I don't think he is going to try to replace Malhotra, either.

Booth will get a long grace period following his injury. I don't think he'll be fully evaluated in time for the deadline.

If some hot commodity appears available at the deadline, what does Gillis have to trade? There are no spares. A team this old cannot trade away picks. There don't seem to be a surplus of prospects, either. This is another compelling argument to support doing nothing.

Gillis was right when he didn't make some moves over the offseason. He was right to hang on to Luongo. He was right to not panic trade for a center. These are both mistakes I would have cheerfully made. I thought going into the season with no second line center was a critical mistake. It has proven not to be.

Maybe skipping the deadline will prove to be the best move? Gillis hasn't run the team into the ground, so far.

JuniorNelson is offline  
Old
02-17-2013, 03:13 AM
  #845
Crows*
 
Crows*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,278
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuniorNelson View Post
I think Gillis stands pat at the deadline. He has never stacked for a run before. I don't think he is going to try to replace Malhotra, either.

Booth will get a long grace period following his injury. I don't think he'll be fully evaluated in time for the deadline.

If some hot commodity appears available at the deadline, what does Gillis have to trade? There are no spares. A team this old cannot trade away picks. There don't seem to be a surplus of prospects, either. This is another compelling argument to support doing nothing.

Gillis was right when he didn't make some moves over the offseason. He was right to hang on to Luongo. He was right to not panic trade for a center. These are both mistakes I would have cheerfully made. I thought going into the season with no second line center was a critical mistake. It has proven not to be.

Maybe skipping the deadline will prove to be the best move? Gillis hasn't run the team into the ground, so far.
The year we made our cup run in 2011 gillis made two huge acquisitions at the deadline in higgins and lapiere. There is no way we make it to the finals without those two.. maybe not even the WCF.

Crows* is offline  
Old
02-17-2013, 03:21 AM
  #846
FacepalmBenning
FIRE EVERYONE
 
FacepalmBenning's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: +44 1252 230 607
Posts: 17,374
vCash: 558
I really think this club needs to make a concerted effort to get bigger. The common denominator of the teams that bounced out of the playoffs is their stacked with big passionate players. I think Kassian is exactly what this team needs but the Canucks desperately need two or three more big bodies if they're realistically going to go deep again.

FacepalmBenning is offline  
Old
02-17-2013, 03:30 AM
  #847
VanCanucks53
Registered User
 
VanCanucks53's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,133
vCash: 500
How do you guys feel about Schroeder being our 3C in the playoffs? I've been so impressed with him but I can definitely see it being a problem when everything ramps up in the playoffs.

VanCanucks53 is offline  
Old
02-17-2013, 03:43 AM
  #848
Crows*
 
Crows*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,278
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanCanucks17 View Post
How do you guys feel about Schroeder being our 3C in the playoffs? I've been so impressed with him but I can definitely see it being a problem when everything ramps up in the playoffs.
We need sami palhson.

Crows* is offline  
Old
02-17-2013, 03:53 AM
  #849
Nuckles
Bleed Assets E'ryday
 
Nuckles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Benning's empty head
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,687
vCash: 50
I'm probably in the minority here, but I think our biggest need for a deep cup run will be getting another top 4 d-man. Before you call me an idiot let me explain.

In our last cup run, we were fortunate enough to have Salo on our bottom pairing. Injuries occurred, and he was moved up to the top 4 when needed.
Right now we have four top 4 d-men. Ballard has been playing well this season, but he has only played 20+ minutes in a game only 6 times in the past three seasons. I don't know if he could handle a top 4 role in the playoffs (same goes for Tanev).

Injuries are bound to happen in the playoffs. We're deep enough at forward (and goaltending ) that I'm not too worried about it. However, on defense it could be a huge problem if one of Edler/Hamhuis/Bieksa/Garrison got injured.

Ballard is very likely to be moved after this season due to cap reasons, so we might as well move him now (while his value is higher than normal) for someone like Visnovsky/Streit/Gonchar.


(I also wouldn't be opposed to getting Antropov at the deadline to give us a big 3rd line center just in case. He can also play on the wing so he's versatile.)

__________________

Fire Benning. Fire Linden. Fire Desjardins. Hire competent people.
Nuckles is offline  
Old
02-17-2013, 05:15 AM
  #850
vanuck
#Gaunce4GM
 
vanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 14,115
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanCanucks17 View Post
How do you guys feel about Schroeder being our 3C in the playoffs? I've been so impressed with him but I can definitely see it being a problem when everything ramps up in the playoffs.
So far his size hasn't been an issue for him, including last game against Dallas and that was a pretty physical team too. That line's speed really stood out and looked good, so I'm hopeful it can at least be a contributing factor in a playoff series against one of these teams.

Then again, we're playing St. Louis so we'll get an initial look at how he holds up against a really big and physical defensive team.

vanuck is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:52 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2016 All Rights Reserved.