HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oilers lose 3-2 to the Stars

Old
02-07-2013, 01:01 AM
Asher

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdeol44 View Post
still in a playoff spot, and 1 point behind the nw leader despite this.. i say not bad.
Let's see where they are after the 9 game road trip...

Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 01:01 AM
CupofOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Feel free to go back to the thread. I can and have defined my position. My how our expectation of veteran leaders on a squad is reduced if we don't even expect them to play well in all zones in the ice. Horcoff and Belanger have been virtual offensive anchors and frankly Smyth has played his best hockey of the season not carrying guys like that around. Belanger to me is slow, Horc, tentative, and neither is making plays, cycling puck etc.

Veteran lines make plays against us all the time, every game. Our vets on our depth lines aren't doing enough. A lot of that falls on the centers who have shown zero confidence with the puck. It isn't good enough. Its perfectly valid to mention it.

I guess its one of the problems with the board but all of us post up here for apparent enjoyment and interaction. If its a pack of half a dozen posters waiting to pounce on a comment and ridicule it then fine, I'll find other things to do with my time.

Thanks
No, what you said is that they lack commitment to the team and that they (Belanger i believe you were referencing) are just collecting paychecks meanwhile, these are two guys who have put their bodies on the line on multiple occasions this season and in Belanger's case, attempted to play through what looked like a very painful injury. I agreed that they lack in many areas although both have been effective this season IMO, that wasn't the problem that i had with your post.

CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 01:05 AM
Sheikyerbouti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Moss View Post
When you look at the teams we played, and who's behind us, it's bad. We better hope for a 3 game winning streak (in regulation) against Detroit, Columbus and Dallas because we seriously need it to crawl away from the pack.
40% of our games have been against the Sharks and the Canucks. I disagree we've had an easy schedule but the second Avs game and Flames game were missed opportunities for sure with that road trip looming

Sheikyerbouti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 01:05 AM
deep44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Moss View Post
When you look at the teams we played, and who's behind us, it's bad. We better hope for a 3 game winning streak (in regulation) against Detroit, Columbus and Dallas because we seriously need it to crawl away from the pack.
10 games in..38 games left, i am not going to jump off a bridge yet .. they have played SJ Vancouver both twice , La , Phx who is never a easy match up. Would not say they have had a easy sked, and i do agree a winning streak is needed soon.. my point is the 1 win in regulation argument does not make sense to me... i am pretty a sure a win is 2 points no matter if it is in regulation, overtime or the shoot out.. so that was more my point in my original comment.

deep44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 01:06 AM
AK Dandyman

Whitney is just horrible defensively.

Whitney can no longer skate in this league now. Sad for him. We need to move on and get someone in there.

Teubert or Fedun from OKC?

AK Dandyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 01:07 AM
deep44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher View Post
Let's see where they are after the 9 game road trip...
agreed important stretch.. but i just not the type to give up on my team 10 games in .. lot of season left.

deep44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 01:07 AM
McNutty780

i thought maggie had a great game. Too bad he can't really finish..but then again noone else can either

McNutty780 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 01:11 AM
OilerTyler
Fire Lowe

vCash: 50
I'm not sure why we didn't pick up Vandermeer on waivers when we had the chance.

We have no depth at defence and it's killing us.

That and the lack of production from Hall, Nuge and Eberle.

OilerTyler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 01:14 AM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

I feel better about this effort then the last couple. Officiating was bad, puck luck wasn't there, effort I think for the most part was there.

I'm not gonna call out Whitney because everyone has already, but Eberle needs to execute, plain and simple. The 2nd line has carried the load albeit with easier match-ups, but the top line, namely Eberle can't fold like this.

The positives, the second line and Paajarvi look great. J. Schultz is already our best defenseman, possibly our best player period, or wait,thats probably a bad thing... Hemsky is probably playing the best hockey of his career. Yakupov seems to have way more dimension to his game than I thought.

Hall at center works, plain and simple.

If injuries weren't such an issue, I would have a lot to say about Coach K. Let's hope we got some bodies back by the weekend.

Mowzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 01:15 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by McNutty780 View Post
i thought maggie had a great game. Too bad he can't really finish..but then again noone else can either
Agreed, he was solid out there and even smoked Robidas.

02-07-2013, 01:15 AM
Slicknitty
"80,000 peoples"

Anyone have a current list of the wounded?
Thx

Slicknitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 01:17 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
No, what you said is that they lack commitment to the team and that they (Belanger i believe you were referencing) are just collecting paychecks meanwhile, these are two guys who have put their bodies on the line on multiple occasions this season and in Belanger's case, attempted to play through what looked like a very painful injury. I agreed that they lack in many areas although both have been effective this season IMO, that wasn't the problem that i had with your post.
Questioning Belanger and Horcoffs commitment to this club is a perfectly reasonable premise and evidenced by their play.

Its not my fault, or responsibility, if you "have a problem" with my post. Thats a matter of your own restraint and keeping to appropriate dialogue. Let me know if you can't or won't do that so that I can respond accordingly with what option the board allows.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 01:18 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slicknitty View Post
Anyone have a current list of the wounded?
Thx
Jones
RNH (DTD)
Eager
Belanger
Horcoff
Lander
Fistric
Peckham (won his battle against the cookie monster in a cookie eating contest) and FTR I am not slim by the most liberal use of the word, but for a pro athlete like Theo that is unacceptable.

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 01:25 AM
Slicknitty
"80,000 peoples"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Jones
RNH (DTD)
Eager
Belanger
Horcoff
Lander
Fistric
Peckham (won his battle against the cookie monster in a cookie eating contest) and FTR I am not slim by the most liberal use of the word, but for a pro athlete like Theo that is unacceptable.
Thanks Bryan Wow all our centers are hurt...even our OKC guy?
Seems like every year it's the same thing here. Jeez they all drop like flies at the same time. Is our team cursed or something? wtf

Slicknitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 01:27 AM
CorpseFX

vCash: 872
just watched the DVR:

refs: horrid. all season. this isnt the NFL or NBA. get your f-ing act together with all this mickey mouse garbage calls and missing legit calls. its ridiculous and its every single game ive watched even outside of the Oilers games.

CorpseFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 01:29 AM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Hemsky is the best offensive force on this team AINEC. I don't care how many times Hall/Hartikainen skate their way to the front of the net, they are not a threat to score when the puck's on their stick and they have to deke/shoot past a goaltender.

Hemsky is a 3-way threat. He can shoot, he can pass, he can deke. Defenders aren't very aware of how to stop him when he's got his feet moving.

And can we please just call the Gagner line the #1 line. They are the primary offensive line on this team, and feature our most dangerous offensive players.

The Perfect Human* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 01:32 AM
Chooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorpseFX View Post
just watched the DVR:

refs: horrid. all season. this isnt the NFL or NBA. get your f-ing act together with all this mickey mouse garbage calls and missing legit calls. its ridiculous and its every single game ive watched even outside of the Oilers games.
One could argue that the leagues best reffs were officiating this game. It's bizarre how some people could be so bad at something they do for a living.

Chooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 01:33 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky_83 View Post
Hemsky is the best offensive force on this team AINEC. I don't care how many times Hall/Hartikainen skate their way to the front of the net, they are not a threat to score when the puck's on their stick and they have to deke/shoot past a goaltender.

Hemsky is a 3-way threat. He can shoot, he can pass, he can deke. Defenders aren't very aware of how to stop him when he's got his feet moving.

And can we please just call the Gagner line the #1 line. They are the primary offensive line on this team, and feature our most dangerous offensive players.
Be nice if Kreuger realized it. Right now giving the Eberle line top PP minutes AND all of J Schultz is not making the most effective use of either.

Gagner line should be getting top toi, top PP rotation, and top offensive D complement. Be nice if they didn't have to lug the dud Whitney around all day which is just limiting the line. Amazing what they could be doing with proper support.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 01:37 AM
tempest2i
Myxomatosis

Our first line is determined by which line faces the tough defence pairs of our opponents.

Gagner's line might be the best offensive line at the moment, but nothing will spark Hall and Eberle like 2nd and 3rd d pairings.

tempest2i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 01:55 AM
molsonmuscle360

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheikyerbouti View Post
This thread is comical in my opinion

I see an oilers team that continues to compete and battle. Not the same as years past at all.

Ferraro touched on it tonight.. Not the same team he watched struggle to compete nightly for years. They are pushing back when faced with adversity. In my opinion the team is finally beginning to manage momentum or as Quinn used to say "bend not break."

Part of the vitriol seen in this thread is because all the games have been close. We are second in the division, and sitting inside a playoff spot. They are losing tight games, not losing games in the first period like last year. Big difference.

Whether its Krueger or maturity this team is fighting like a well managed unit imo

I agree with you. I also would like to point out that every team is going to go through losing streaks this season, I think the key to teams making the playoffs will be those teams that manage to still pull points out of those losing streaks. It sucks that we have lost 4 in a row, but we have 3 points of those 4 games, and for the most part we've competed very hard.

Honestly, I think our biggest issue is Whitney. I hope Peckham comes back from this conditioning stint feeling nasty, and I'd love to see a third pairing of Peckham/Fistric to see what kind of chaos they can create. If it works out, either keep Whitney in the press box, see if you can get a pick from him from a playoff team in the East, or just waive him, whichever seems most prudent at the time.

molsonmuscle360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 02:00 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Man, the NHL is awful hockey right now. Thank goodness I'm invested in the Oil Kings.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 02:01 AM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

I also feel we need to enable Yakupov right now. Him and Hemsky have both looked great together, but I suspect they'd do fine apart from each other and help spark the team. But having either of them playing LW is just detrimental to this team. I'd like to try this at even-strength.

Hall-Gagner-Hemsky
Eberle-RNH-Yakupov

Eberle is a more versatile player, capable of producing and skating on either side, and not really relied upon for zone entry. I'd love to see him and Yakupov operating on their off-wings.

Also, for the Oilers PP I'd like to see Schultz transferred to the 2nd unit, allowing Petry to take his spot on the 1st unit. There's a lot of advantages that come with such a move:

-Schultz is better used in a diamond-like set up, with him on the middle of the blue-line, able to work an umbrella-type offense. Hemsky-to-Yakupov as a cross-ice pass is just not going to happen, but Hemsky-to-Schultz-to-Yakupov could work just fine. Schultz is a capable puck-mover and could place pucks in Yakupov's wheelhouse for that one-timer. Teams are going to respect the threat of Hemsky with the puck along the half-boards (1 defender occupied), the threat of Hartikainen in front of the net (2), as well as someone like Horcoff circling between the slot and on the lower right side where he used to get one-time passes from Hemsky (3). That leaves defender #4 to choose between Schultz or Yakupov. If they try to take away the Yakupov cross-ice, you have Hemsky setting up Schultz for a walk-in wrister. If they take away Schultz option, you got the cross-ice to Yakupov. Boom. If Horcoff's guy peels to cover Yakupov, then you set him up in the slot/front for a bang-bang goal with Harski already there.

-That RNH-to-Eberle cross-slot pass isn't happening anymore because teams are playing it. They're not really respecting Schultz's shot because his one-timer is rarely released, and they usually have time to get RNH's guy out to Schultz to stop his wrist-shot. Inserting Petry into Schultz's spot instantly opens up a booming slapshot that teams will have to respect (1). We also need Hall to be able to engage a defender on the PP (rather than sitting low on the goal line waiting for a Nuge pass, he's absolutely useless there). I'd like to see him moved to the front of the net or slot (2), with Gagner playing with Petry on the left point. Respecting Gagner's one-timer (3) also forces the guy who'd normally cover the cross-ice to Eberle to move up - opening up that lane for RNH (4). So essentialy defenders #1 and #3 are forced to control the triangle-threat of Gagner-Petry-Eberle. It's similar to what I described with the Hemsky unit. RNH will thus always have an open passing option for himself.

I just BadMedicine'd that post.

The Perfect Human* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 02:07 AM
tempest2i
Myxomatosis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
Man, the NHL is awful hockey right now. Thank goodness I'm invested in the Oil Kings.
Was this intended to be some kind of backhanded compliment to yourself?

We're all trying to come to grips with the Oilers using Smyth as a center and Whitney making us actually entertain the idea of having Cam Barker back.

So, congratulations on coming to a NHL fan board to boast of your new found enjoyment of the WHL. There are cookies at the door, feel free to grab one on your way out.

tempest2i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 02:09 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempest2i View Post
Was this intended to be some kind of backhanded compliment to yourself?

We're all trying to come to grips with the Oilers using Smyth as a center and Whitney making us actually entertain the idea of having Cam Barker back.

So, congratulations on coming to a NHL fan board to boast of your new found enjoyment of the WHL. There are cookies at the door, feel free to grab one on your way out.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 02:12 AM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

To those commenting that the Oilers schedule so far has been easy... it hasn't. Some stats to back it up:

http://www.hockey-reference.com/leagues/NHL_2013.html

Before this Dallas game:

The stat there called SOS (strength of schedule shows that the Oilers have had the 7th toughest schedule in the NHL so far). They were also ranked 13th overall in the NHL on that site taking into account goals differential and strength of schedule.

Alternative view... Sagarin ratings:

http://sagarin.com/sports/nhlsend.htm

Shows the Oilers have the 6th toughest schedule in the NHL so far and the team is variously ranked 14th, 17th and 14th in the league in the various ranking methods they use.

So to sum up... looking at their performances statistically compared to the rest of the NHL teams so far... they've had a relatively tough schedule and they are an average team so far.

That feels about right considering they are smack in the middle of the West in 7th place right now... managing to drag out at least a point in many games and staying within a goal in most losses.

The underlying stats don't look good though... outshot and much more pressure in their own end consistently in every game.

As long as Dubnyk plays well and the PK and PP hold up relatively well they should keep squeezing pts out of games here and there but they need to actually start out-chancing and out-pressuring their opponents more consistently to make any type of stab at a playoff spot or else it will be a slow drift downward all season long... much like what happened last year after their "outlier" start.

nexttothemoon is online now   Reply With Quote