HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Oilers lose 3-2 to the Stars

Old
02-07-2013, 11:34 AM
I see only darkness

vCash: 500
From the crap we have watched the last 2 years, this year has been rather entertaining. Many more positives each game. IMHO Hall has taken his game to another level. He is becoming the player we all hoped he would. Ebs and RNH have been less than stellar but are still playing ok.

Sit back and enjoy. We are not a playoff team right now till our supporting cast gets solidified. Sadly some of our big gritty picks have turned out like crap. Hamilton and Pitlick

I see only darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 11:35 AM
Tad Mikowsky
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadMedicine View Post
filler

To be honest, if it worked so well with you, why aren't you coaching the Edmonton Oilers? Why are you posting on a forum?

Tad Mikowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 11:37 AM
jadeddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lessy View Post
He has been much better than I anticipated. He's obviously got elite skill but I thought he'd be a bit of a disaster adjusting to the NHL in his first 10 games. There are rare instances when he tries to do too much but his hockey sense in the NHL game are leaps and bounds better than I would have anticipated. Needs to shoot more maybe and playing him on the RW might facilitate that. That was a filthy release that he hit the post with.
yeah its pretty obvious that yakupov is a LOT more dangerous in the offensive zone on the RW... why he is still playing on the left side, while the veteran hemsky isn`t being asked to play out of position is beyond me.... i agree that yakupov has been exactly as advertised, a exceptionally skilled offensive player who has to learn the defensive side from square one... i must admit that he is producing a lot more than i thought he would (2 more posts last night) and is about as bad on defense as i thought he would be, lol... i had heard that he was a lot more physical than you would expect, and i am glad to see that this really is the case, and wasn`t just scout hype`

yakupov could be an exceptionally dangerous player as early as next year, and will most likely be the best pure goal scorer this team has had in 15+ years

jadeddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 11:40 AM
oilfaninvan

We're still in a great position, standings wise. So no matter my emotional reaction to losses, missed open nets and injuries, the big picture shows that we are well positioned for when we start firing on all cylinders.

oilfaninvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 11:43 AM
Turrican*
Not a homer

I wish Yak would shoot more.... I don't like his unselfish play.

He possesses a lascannon of a shot.

Turrican* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 11:50 AM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

The entire PP 2 (or 1, for that matter), should be trying to set him up for the one-timer.

dustrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Senor Catface

Eberle> Gagner

Senor Catface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leman Russ View Post
I wish Yak would shoot more.... I don't like his unselfish play.

He possesses a lascannon of a shot.
Offensively he's been great, but one area of work is finding more open spaces that work to create shots. With being open also meaning that he is open in a puck support location where its reasonably possible to get the puck to him. This will come, and I have no fear, and when this kid learns to cloak like a Brett Hull(who was slow but had an uncanny sense for discerning upcoming open ice) he'll be sensational. I believe Yak possesses that understanding of the game to match the cannon of a shot.

ps I want Yak to watch Jagr's post game analysis of his OT goal last night and learn it, know it.

"This isn't like Euro hockey, its small rink, limited space, must find space, and shoot immediately." or something like that.

Jagr of course having the kind of gifts for finding open ice that Yak will want to emulate

Replacement is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 11:52 AM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by President Van Buren View Post
Eberle> Gagner
Not so far this season.

Mr Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 11:52 AM
Senor Catface

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
Not so far this season.
Eberle has magic eyes.

Old
02-07-2013, 11:54 AM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
ps I want Yak to watch Jagr's post game analysis of his OT goal last night and learn it, know it.

"This isn't like Euro hockey, its small rink, limited space, must find space, and should immediately." or something like that.

Jagr of course having the kind of gifts for finding open ice that Yak will want to emulate
Yeah, has there been anyone better at the 1-2-3 steps and fire off the wrister? Incredible player.

dustrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 11:56 AM
Turrican*
Not a homer

Anyone have a gif of Yakupov hugging Hemmer and hopping up and down after the first goal?

Old
02-07-2013, 11:58 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustrock View Post
Yeah, has there been anyone better at the 1-2-3 steps and fire off the wrister? Incredible player.
One of my favorites despite the salute. I love cerebral players like Jagr, Hull, that perfectly understand how to find/create and open region and fire off a laser from there.

Efficient goal scoring machines.

30 secs earlier Kevin Quinn had mentioned that Jagr is the alltime regular season OT scorer. Soon as he mentioned that tidbit I audbily stated "oh no"

Talk about tempting fate.

Old
02-07-2013, 12:00 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Anyone have a gif of Yakupov hugging Hemmer and hopping up and down after the first goal?
Looked a little too metro for my liking...

Old
02-07-2013, 12:03 PM
jadeddog

Quote:
Looked a little too metro for my liking...
i love how yak is just as excited for somebody else scoring as he is scoring himself... this is why all the `he celebrates too much`crap is TOTALLY unwarranted ... yak just loves the game and is an emotional guy, simple as that

jadeddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 12:16 PM
Turrican*
Not a homer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog View Post
i love how yak is just as excited for somebody else scoring as he is scoring himself... this is why all the `he celebrates too much`crap is TOTALLY unwarranted ... yak just loves the game and is an emotional guy, simple as that
Yup.

I've never seen a guy so excited to play hockey.
This guy is the Oilers sweetheart.

"Thank you for drafting me"

WHO RANDOMLY SAYS THAT AFTER A GAME???

Old
02-07-2013, 12:17 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog View Post
Yeah, I hope everybody recognizes I'm j/k.

Yaks pure joy in the game is uplifting to behold..

Yes, I'm still joking

I love him, but not in that sense.

Old
02-07-2013, 12:19 PM
Dabomb

And Yak also looks so devastated after a loss too. He stayed on the ice for awhile after trying to block that OT goal scored by Vancouver and he also had an angry/devastated look last night after Jagr scored his OT goal. Love the kid's emotion.

Dabomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 12:20 PM
Turrican*
Not a homer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabomb View Post
And Yak also looks so devasted after a loss too. He stayed on the ice for awhile after trying to block that OT goal scored by Vancouver and he also had an angry/devasted look last night after Jagr scored his OT goal. Love the kid's emotion.
If Hall was Russian, he would be Yak.
It's good to have a few emotional players that WANT to win.

Old
02-07-2013, 12:21 PM
Great One

I'm a little late commenting and I haven't read every comment in the thread but here's my take on last night's game.

First of all, I think we gave a valiant effort considering the injuries we were dealing with. I think we earned that point and to be honest it was just as much our game to win as it was theirs. It seemed to me we were a little better on faceoffs then we've been which is a surprise considering we had 3 of our 4 regular centers out of the lineup and had a couple of wingers taking quite a few of the draws.

Even though I'm pretty sure a lot of people on here won't agree, I think Smyth had a decent game considering how he's been playing all year. He won a few draws, battled in front of the net, drew a penalty and even created a couple of scoring chances. If he can play like this game in and game out then I definitely won't be as hard on Smyth as I've been this year.

I'm not going to waste my time talking about Whitney because I don't think anything needs to be said that hasn't been said already. I've always been a fan of his but I'm really losing faith in his ability and I think it might be time to cut ties.

I was disappointed again with Petry's play last night. He's shown glimpses of last season at times so I won't give up on him just yet. But we will need him playing better if we want to make any kind of run at all.

I believe there needs to be more love for Smid today. I think we saw the Laddy from last year in last night's game and it put a smile on my face. He took the body (great hit on Benn last night), battled along the boards, broke up plays and blocked 9 frigging shots. Basically played like the warrior we saw last season.

I think Dubnyk had another decent game. He's still letting in a scattered weak one but I think that will improve with experience.

Finally, praise goes to Hemsky, Hall, and Schultz for being the best players on the ice for us again last night. Hall dominated for us last night and with the exception of that dumb between the legs chance, he was incredible. Hemsky has been the Hemsky of old this season and last night was just another example. Schultz was our best dman again last night and I expect that to be a trend we'll see all year.

Great One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 12:21 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Yup.

I've never seen a guy so excited to play hockey.
This guy is the Oilers sweetheart.

"Thank you for drafting me"

WHO RANDOMLY SAYS THAT AFTER A GAME???
I keep going back to this but at the Prospects camp at Milennium in June Yak galvanized an audience in one afternoon. Not only with his play, but mirth, fun, and giving the audience a show both during play and between whistles.

I kept thinking this is somebody that makes the kids, and the kids in all of us, smile.

People like this is one reason I continue to watch.

Guy wears his heart on a sleeve and wants to please, wants to make people have a reason to smile.

IN a cynical money oriented pro sports world what better player to watch.

Old
02-07-2013, 12:23 PM
Booyakasha
Nailinus Omarkupov

vCash: 1240
Quote:
Originally Posted by President Van Buren View Post
Eberle has magic eyes.
*eye.

the other one isn't so magic. its a little bit lazy IMO.

Last edited by Booyakasha: 02-07-2013 at 12:38 PM.
Booyakasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 12:26 PM
scid14

vCash: 50
Not sure where to put this so....

Ryan Dittrick ‏@ryandittrick

#Oilers Ryan Jones has ditched the bubble and is wearing a normal half visor at practice. Regular blue jersey, too.

Eric Belanger back at practice as well. Krueger said last night he was hoping he'd be able to return for Sunday's game in Columbus.

And one more update: Mark Fistric is here skating, too. Good news at a time when injuries have really mounted.

Getting Jones back would be a big boost for us and sounds like Belanger should be back soon as well. We know Horc is out for a while. Hopefully Lander and Eager can get well soon too. A motivated Eager is a good thing to have, hopefully this concussion didn't break him. Fistric back would be awesome as well for the bottom pairing.

scid14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 12:27 PM
Senor Catface

Quote:
Originally Posted by scid14 View Post
Not sure where to put this so....

#Oilers Ryan Jones has ditched the bubble and is wearing a normal half visor at practice. Regular blue jersey, too.

Eric Belanger back at practice as well. Krueger said last night he was hoping he'd be able to return for Sunday's game in Columbus.

Getting Jones back would be a big boost for us and sounds like Belanger should be back soon as well. We know Horc is out for a while. Hopefully Lander can get well soon too.
People make (unwarranted) attacks on Jones, but you know what he does? He scores. Not a ton. But he gets it in.

Old
02-07-2013, 12:32 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Just can't acknowledge who's bringing it to the party right now?.

Gagner line should be getting J Schultz. They sure as hell will be getting top coverage again as its obvious who the first line has been this year.

The +/- is mainly due to Whitney. Check out how much this line has been unfortunately paired with Whitney.

Really your whole post is a desperate attempt to not acknowledge some players. Its not hard to say the Gagner line is doing well.
The Gagner line hasn't been effectively using the point, are a - line, and have been getting easier matchups, I guess you just can't look at Gagner objectively. Last year he was our best defensive center according to you because of his +/-. now this year it sucks but all is well in the world and he should be facing the Thornton's, Toews', Getzlaf's, etc. of the world. Yeah good luck with that, <40% on the dot and not big, fast, or crafty enough to defend those players at the level that it takes to not get torched. You probably think that Gagner is better defensively than RNH because in your eyes Gagner can do no wrong.