HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oilers lose 3-2 to the Stars

Old
02-08-2013, 02:04 PM
Section337
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
I have two competing questions:
- Why put one of our offensive skill guys with guys showing non-offensive skill?
- When will one of supposed offensive skill guys actually help one of our apparent non-offensive skill guys show some offensive skill?

Section337 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 02:08 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 368
Quote:
Originally Posted by Section337 View Post
I have two competing questions:
- Why put one of our offensive skill guys with guys showing non-offensive skill?
- When will one of supposed offensive skill guys actually help one of our apparent non-offensive skill guys show some offensive skill?
Well putting one of our best offensive guys with two offensive guys did little at even strength. Maybe if Yak is the puck carrier on a line he'll be more effective.

Again this isn't the first time Kreuger had lines that didn't play the next day together. Second, we have injuries and have to make adjustments. Third, we aren't scoring at EV strength so adjustments need to be done. And finally, if it's not working we are allowed to change lines on the fly.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 02:30 PM
OilCanada92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Bravo View Post
That is true, but wouldn't it be more beneficial if Yak was with better players?
This is a solid test IMO. I would love to find out if Yakapov could play with ANYONE.

OilCanada92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 02:38 PM
nofool6110
Best @ tanking ainec

Line-up changes to report in Leduc
Hall-Gagner-Hemsky
Hartski-RNH-Eberle
Yakupov-Belanger-Paajarvi
Eager-Smyth-Petrell

VV called up

SOURCE: The twitterverse; Oilersnation

nofool6110 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 02:42 PM
jmco

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofool6110 View Post
Hall-Gagner-Hemsky
Hartski-RNH-Eberle
Eager-Smyth-Petrell

VV called up

Great the team Leader in goals gets to play with Belanger! Hartski should be on the 3rd line & Yak should be with RNH & Eberle.

jmco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 03:09 PM
40oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmco View Post
Great the team Leader in goals gets to play with Belanger! Hartski should be on the 3rd line & Yak should be with RNH & Eberle.
But 60% of his goals came on the PP, which he'll still be playing. And this way he'll get to play in his natural position for the first time all year and can utilize his shot coming off the rush.

Hartikainen played great with Hopkins and Eberle in the AHL, this line is desperate for someone who can make some space, Teemu can do that.

None of these line combos are perfect, but they look like they're worth a shot.

40oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 03:11 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

vCash: 50
Quote:
Hall-Gagner-Hemsky
Hartski-RNH-Eberle
Eager-Smyth-Petrell

VV called up

I actually like that fourth line as much as I dislike Smyth.

GreatKeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 03:15 PM
Njoy Oilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Well putting one of our best offensive guys with two offensive guys did little at even strength. Maybe if Yak is the puck carrier on a line he'll be more effective.

Again this isn't the first time Kreuger had lines that didn't play the next day together. Second, we have injuries and have to make adjustments. Third, we aren't scoring at EV strength so adjustments need to be done. And finally, if it's not working we are allowed to change lines on the fly.
Best real explanation yet Joe. Rookie coach is going to keep tinkering till something works. It's how it's done folks.

Njoy Oilers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 03:18 PM
Doppler Drift

Quote:
Hall-Gagner-Hemsky
Hartski-RNH-Eberle
Eager-Smyth-Petrell

VV called up

So the Hall Gagner Hemsky line will obviously be doing the heavy lifting so that RNH and Eberle will have freer rein to create some offense. So that makes sense if Coach K. is trying to get them going.

I can also see the idea behind putting Yak with Belanger and Paajarvi since they are both defensively sound and Yak will definitely be the main puck carrier. However if he does indeed have Yakupov on the left wing with TWO lefty linemates it makes zero sense. He and MPS should switch (unless the organization is dead set on making Yak into a left wing).

Doppler Drift is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 03:18 PM
Njoy Oilers

I actually like how Ralphy has been mixing things up this year. Obviously once injuries were outa control, he has no choice. Still I like his pulse on things.

Njoy Oilers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 03:51 PM
nexttothemoon
The Drive for Nine

Honestly... looks like a cluster**** to me... but gotta wait and see what happens on the ice as that's what will determine if they are good moves or not.

Just be warned though that if it all goes down the toilet, I'll be the first one leading the choir saying how ****ing dumb those moves were.

Oh ya... VandeVelde over Arcobello? Stupid as well. If they want some more offense in the lineup give another shot to Arcobello. We've seen what VV delivers at the NHL level before and it's nothing compelling. Hopefully he can at least win a few faceoffs if he gets into the lineup.

Last edited by nexttothemoon: 02-08-2013 at 04:11 PM.
nexttothemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 03:57 PM
Beerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
Honestly... looks like a cluster**** to me... but gotta wait and see what happens on the ice as that's what will determine if they are good moves or not.

Just be warned though that if it all goes down the toilet, I'll be the first one leading the choir saying how ****ing dumb those moves were.

Oh ya... VandeVelde over Arcobello? Stupid as well. If they want some some more offense in the lineup give another shot to Arcobello. We've seen what VV delivers at the NHL level before and it's nothing compelling. Hopefully he can at least win a few faceoffs if he gets into the lineup.
VV is a WAY more appropriate player to be up here than Arcobello. Arcobello is a small offensive guy who did not stand out last game.

If you are worried about more offense then you better be hollering for Horcoff or Belanger to be turfed permanently because our 3rd and 4th line C's provide nothing at all.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 03:58 PM
T-Funk

I think those lines are the best option right now.

Top line: all guys who are producing right now
2nd line guys who should definitely be beasting if they get lesser opponents.
3rd line: fine as long as PRV is on the left and yak on the right, but I'm worried to see if PRV's skating and hitting disappear with no Hartikainen on his line.
4th line: forecheck deluxe

T-Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 04:07 PM
nexttothemoon
The Drive for Nine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
VV is a WAY more appropriate player to be up here than Arcobello. Arcobello is a small offensive guy who did not stand out last game.

If you are worried about more offense then you better be hollering for Horcoff or Belanger to be turfed permanently because our 3rd and 4th line C's provide nothing at all.

Ya it's 1 fricken game for Arcobello. People are talking like he shat the bed. He had no points and was basically a blank slate out there. Hmm much like many players this year on the Oilers.. except they've played a hell of a lot more than 15 minutes in their NHL careers.

I've seen VV in OKC and while he's been up in the past with the Oilers. I have no illusions about what he brings to the show. He is a marginal AHL/NHL tweener player at the very best with zero hands and he "might" be average on the dot depending on the day. He's had mixed success on the dot.

I'd rather have another shot with Arco to tell the truth BUT maybe they want their top scorer back in OKC as they've been basically gutted down there... I dunno. I think the priority is jump starting this team though.

By the looks of all those changes they are changing too many variables at once.... stick to tweaking the top talent around instead of trying to get blood from stone hands.

As I said though let's see what happens... if they blitz the Wings I'll gladly kiss Krueger's ass and eat my words.

Old
02-08-2013, 04:24 PM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

If PRV isn't motivated to play with Yakupov, something's wrong with him.

And while it's impressive that Yakupov is leading our team in goals, we're talking about 2 last-minute goals and PP.

He has been playing quite well and finding his spots a bit better, but there were games he looked lost to me (as expected of a rookie).

Not judging him, I just don't think moving him down is going to ruin our top 2 lines.

dustrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 04:35 PM
dixs35

I may be in the minority, but I actually like the look of Yaks line. Belanger has looked good this year speed wise and PRV can fly. It looks like Yak may be allowed to cheat for offence and float high in the D zone like Bure, Jagr etc. Belanger wins draws and allows quick puck possession. PRV is an underrated passer and has a decent puck retrieval game. This lines counterattack ability could be fun to watch.

dixs35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 04:37 PM
T-Funk

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustrock View Post

And while it's impressive that Yakupov is leading our team in goals, we're talking about 2 last-minute goals and PP.
Those two last minute goals are pretty much the most important goals our team scored this season....

T-Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 04:38 PM
Puritania
Skooma Addict

vCash: 423
Quote:
Hall-Gagner-Hemsky
Hartski-RNH-Eberle
Eager-Smyth-Petrell

VV called up

If Yak is gonna be on the third line, why isn't he on his natural wing? Paajarvi can handle the left side.

Puritania is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 04:38 PM
OiledUp

Quote:

He has been playing quite well and finding his spots a bit better, but there were games he looked lost to me (as expected of a rookie).

Not judging him, I just don't think moving him down is going to ruin our top 2 lines.
Exactly. Yak, like everyone else, hasn't been producing ES, it's 3 PP goals, 1 EN and one goal when we pulled Dubnyk. If he's still on the 2nd PP unit I like these lines. Main worry for me is if that 3rd line gets pinned in their own zone too much thus killing all offensive output from Yakupov, but if they can get a good transition game going, look out Wings!

OiledUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 04:51 PM
nexttothemoon
The Drive for Nine

What the ****... now we are picking holes in the goals that Yak scored and rationalizing that he has basically crapped the bed defensively as well so he should be moved down? Sounds like something I'd read on Calgary Puck.

I'd send him back to Sarnia but they unfortunately missed the 5 game limit.

Old
02-08-2013, 05:01 PM
Draw me an Elephant

Quote:
Dunno where to post this since no GDT yet:

Dan Tencer ‏@dantencer
Hartikainen with RNH and Eberle...Hall with Gagner and Hemsky...Yakupov with Belanger (IR) and Paajarvi...Eager with Smyth and Petrell...
These are the exact lines I suggested, clearly Krueger has been reading my posts on HF

...Except that Yak needs to be on the right side, that is the whole damn point of moving him out of the top 6

Draw me an Elephant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 05:11 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmco View Post
Unbelievable. Yak has 5 goals and we sink him with the center and winger with the worst production on this club.

Put a guy with a Brett Hull shot and release on a checking line. Defies description. Who is even capable of passing the puck on this line?

"Yak, you're too good scoring goals, we gotta bury you"

**** is the tank on again?

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 05:13 PM
OiledUp

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
What the ****... now we are picking holes in the goals that Yak scored and rationalizing that he has basically crapped the bed defensively as well so he should be moved down? Sounds like something I'd read on Calgary Puck.

I'd send him back to Sarnia but they unfortunately missed the 5 game limit.
What? Noone is really picking holes in the goals he scored, just saying he didn't really score those goals due to the guys he played with at ES.

Stay cool we're all just expressing opinions here.

OiledUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 05:24 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Those lines will kill Yakupov's ES production. Belanger is excellent on the draw, a good defensive player and great PKer. He is a blackhole on offense.

Imo, Yakupov has to be playing with one of Gagner or RNH. Harski should be with Paajarvi and Belanger.

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 05:33 PM
SephF
See you next time

Quote:
Are you saying he hasnt been motivated so far this season/

SephF is offline   Reply With Quote