HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oilers lose 3-2 to the Stars

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-08-2013, 05:41 PM
  #476
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight
 
nexttothemoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Northern Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,931
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Unbelievable. Yak has 5 goals and we sink him with the center and winger with the worst production on this club.

Put a guy with a Brett Hull shot and release on a checking line. Defies description. Who is even capable of passing the puck on this line?


"Yak, you're too good scoring goals, we gotta bury you"


**** is the tank on again?
Yep

".5 goal per game pace... it's off to the Belanger triangle with you... time to cool off."

If he manages to pot an unassisted goal on the 3rd line with the pointless duo of MPS and Belanger... it's off to the PB so he can get a proper perspective from up above of how to reduce his play to the level of his stone hands teammates.

Gotta break his spirit somehow.

nexttothemoon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 05:41 PM
  #477
Qrispy
Registered User
 
Qrispy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 3,248
vCash: 500
Meh. I don't see that Hartikainen-RNH-Eberle line doing much. Hall was driving that line the past few games. Hartikainen can crash and battle but he doesn't have the speed and offense Hall does. I think that line stays cold.

The Gagner line was tearing it up, though, and I think they will continue to do so even with the subtraction of Yakupov. IIRC, Hemsky and Hall were pretty good as a pair and that was when Gagner was totally invisible offensively.

Also, I could see that Belanger line doing some damage so long as they get good amount of minutes and Yak carries the puck most of the time. I would rather see Yakupov with RNH and Eberle, though.

Qrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 05:44 PM
  #478
oilers4cup
No More Koolade
 
oilers4cup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Last place
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,261
vCash: 50
Edmonton Journal ‏@EJ_Oilers
Cut @ryanwhitney6 some slack, 'twas Jaromir freakin' Jagr who undressed him in OT. @rjmackinnon's view: http://shar.es/Y29H9 #Oilers #NHL

oilers4cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 05:44 PM
  #479
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 36,462
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
Yep

".5 goal per game pace... it's off to the Belanger triangle with you... time to cool off."

If he manages to pot an unassisted goal on the 3rd line with the pointless duo of MPS and Belanger... it's off to the PB so he can get a proper perspective from up above of how to reduce his play to the level of his stone hands teammates.

Gotta break his spirit somehow.
"Belanger Triangle"

Spitting coffee funny. Enjoyed the whole post.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 05:47 PM
  #480
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 36,462
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers4cup View Post
Edmonton Journal ‏@EJ_Oilers
Cut @ryanwhitney6 some slack, 'twas Jaromir freakin' Jagr who undressed him in OT. @rjmackinnon's view: http://shar.es/Y29H9 #Oilers #NHL
Um, BECAUSE its Jagr in OT of all things you try not to get turned around like an idiot trying to get the puck.

Perhaps, just a thought, you play Jagr positionally, keep yourself between him and goal, and play him physical.

Better to look like a broken turnstile though I guess. "Please proceed, this pylon is out of order, have a good day".

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 05:59 PM
  #481
Red Deer Rebel
Registered User
 
Red Deer Rebel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Red Deer
Posts: 2,323
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
I've seen VV in OKC and while he's been up in the past with the Oilers. I have no illusions about what he brings to the show. He is a marginal AHL/NHL tweener player at the very best with zero hands and he "might" be average on the dot depending on the day. He's had mixed success on the dot.
He's 102-97 in faceoffs at the NHL level (51%). That's pretty good on our team.

He's also landed 23 hits in 19 games, and is 6'2", 190lbs according to his profile on the team website.

He may bring little offense, but nobody in our bottom six produces any offense anyway.

Time for a change.

Red Deer Rebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 06:08 PM
  #482
Red Deer Rebel
Registered User
 
Red Deer Rebel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Red Deer
Posts: 2,323
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Um, BECAUSE its Jagr in OT of all things you try not to get turned around like an idiot trying to get the puck.

Perhaps, just a thought, you play Jagr positionally, keep yourself between him and goal, and play him physical.

Better to look like a broken turnstile though I guess. "Please proceed, this pylon is out of order, have a good day".
Ryan Smyth was on the ice for two goals against last game, and was primarily to blame for the Benn goal. Weak effort on a stick check, and then wandering around in his own end leaving Benn uncovered in the slot.

Where are all the tweets about that?

http://video.oilers.nhl.com/videocen...EDM244&lang=en

Red Deer Rebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 06:10 PM
  #483
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight
 
nexttothemoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Northern Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,931
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Deer Rebel View Post
He may bring little offense, but nobody in our bottom six produces any offense anyway.

Time for a change.
Yep sounds like a good change.


I'm not really against VV and wish him the best... I just don't see him bringing much to the lineup. They must be up to their quota in stone hands at this point.

nexttothemoon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 06:19 PM
  #484
Qrispy
Registered User
 
Qrispy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 3,248
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers4cup View Post
Edmonton Journal ‏@EJ_Oilers
Cut @ryanwhitney6 some slack, 'twas Jaromir freakin' Jagr who undressed him in OT. @rjmackinnon's view: http://shar.es/Y29H9 #Oilers #NHL
lol @ these media hacks defending Whitney, acting like he got schooled by a prime Jagr. If he knew how to throw a check, there's a good chance we leave with the extra point. If it was any other dman, aside from Potter, I would have cut them some slack but Whitney has been garbage for a long time now, so seeing that kind of soft play from him is frustrating but nothing new.

Qrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 06:26 PM
  #485
Stoneman89
Registered User
 
Stoneman89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 7,033
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Unbelievable. Yak has 5 goals and we sink him with the center and winger with the worst production on this club.

Put a guy with a Brett Hull shot and release on a checking line. Defies description. Who is even capable of passing the puck on this line?


"Yak, you're too good scoring goals, we gotta bury you"


**** is the tank on again?

Ya, I know because Hemsky and Gagner have been producing 10 sure fire chances for Yak per game, our top lines are just lighting it up, and Yak, like everyone else is just killing it 5 on 5. No sense changing anything, right, because we've just been filling the opposition's net with goals and outshooting everybody?

Stoneman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 06:43 PM
  #486
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 36,462
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman89 View Post
Ya, I know because Hemsky and Gagner have been producing 10 sure fire chances for Yak per game, our top lines are just lighting it up, and Yak, like everyone else is just killing it 5 on 5. No sense changing anything, right, because we've just been filling the opposition's net with goals and outshooting everybody?
Oppositional much?

Save it.

Yeah, last I checked 2nd line forwards scoring 12 goals in 10GP is pretty damned good. You'd be hardpressed to find many 2nd lines with better production. ftr the 12 goals is more than half of the total scored by the whole club.

Offensively its the only line on the club producing. It would be a good line in every aspect if it wasn't weighted down with the deplorable play of Whitney.

This much must somehow escape you.

carry on I guess.


Last edited by Replacement: 02-08-2013 at 06:50 PM.
Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 07:06 PM
  #487
OiledUp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Country: Sweden
Posts: 983
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Oppositional much?

Save it.

Yeah, last I checked a 2nd line forwards scoring 12 goals in 10GP is pretty damned good. You'd be hardpressed to find many 2nd lines with better production. ftr the 12 goals is more than half of the total scored by the whole club.

Offensively its the only line on the club producing. It would be a good line in every aspect if it wasn't weighted down with the deplorable play of Whitney.

This much must somehow escape you.

carry on I guess.
But out of those 12 goals, 7 is on the PP which I think we all assume will stay the same, one is an empty netter and one is 6on5 with all our big guns on the ice. If we're talking numbers. And if we're talking on ice performance. Yes they've played very well the last couple of games but this is Gagner and Hemskys' line, they're driving the bus not Yakupov and it's not like Hall is a huge downgrade.

I'm not saying it'll work for certain, this might ruin on ice chemistry for the 2nd line, Hall out of the RNH line might completely kill that line and Yakupov might be completely lost without Hemsky.

But since we're not really producing 5on5 and has absolutely zero secondary scoring, it's not completely random to try Yakupov on his prefered side whilst letting him be the goto offensive guy on his line, try to get Eberle and RNH out of their funk by forcing them to carry that line, give Harti some skilled linemates try Hemsky and Hall together as they have shown flashes of chemistry before and maybe hope for some balanced scoring.

It might not fly at all but it's not so far off it's not worth trying for a couple of games.

And it's certainly no point being an ******* about it.


Last edited by OiledUp: 02-08-2013 at 07:11 PM. Reason: Ok, so I come off a bit more aggressive than I meant to, sorry.
OiledUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 07:30 PM
  #488
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 36,462
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OiledUp View Post
But out of those 12 goals, 7 is on the PP which I think we all assume will stay the same, one is an empty netter and one is 6on5 with all our big guns on the ice. If we're talking numbers. And if we're talking on ice performance. Yes they've played very well the last couple of games but this is Gagner and Hemskys' line, they're driving the bus not Yakupov and it's not like Hall is a huge downgrade.

I'm not saying it'll work for certain, this might ruin on ice chemistry for the 2nd line, Hall out of the RNH line might completely kill that line and Yakupov might be completely lost without Hemsky.

But since we're not really producing 5on5 and has absolutely zero secondary scoring, it's not completely random to try Yakupov on his prefered side whilst letting him be the goto offensive guy on his line, try to get Eberle and RNH out of their funk by forcing them to carry that line, give Harti some skilled linemates try Hemsky and Hall together as they have shown flashes of chemistry before and maybe hope for some balanced scoring.

It might not fly at all but it's not so far off it's not worth trying for a couple of games.

And it's certainly no point being an ******* about it.
I haven't been unpleasant with you at all. I don't like being consistently badgered however by certain other posters who would know they are doing exactly that, thus the specific reply to that poster.

I'm generally pretty civil here and interested in discussion, not infighting.


Your point about PP stands, sure, but nothing is in a vacuum. The 5 on 5, while not imminently productive on its own means is a means to an end that provides the line with familiarity, develops chemistry, and furthers some options on a PP. Without players playing together in a capacity does the PP still look as good?

One of the key things, and crucially important, is we have a kid here, Yak, who is evidently enjoying playing with Hemsky and Gagner and Kreuger has stated this, so if its a positive experience, and he is getting opportunity, chances, and learning on that line why stymie him in a darkhole where the bleak result if fairly known. To me this is like giving the kid ice cold showers in a brothel and expecting him to score.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 07:35 PM
  #489
OiledUp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Country: Sweden
Posts: 983
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
I haven't been unpleasant with you at all. I don't like being consistently badgered however by certain other posters who would know they are doing exactly that, thus the specific reply to that poster.

I'm generally pretty civil here and interested in discussion, not infighting.


Your point about PP stands, sure, but nothing is in a vacuum. The 5 on 5, while not imminently productive on its own means is a means to an end that provides the line with familiarity, develops chemistry, and furthers some options on a PP. Without players playing together in a capacity does the PP still look as good?

One of the key things, and crucially important, is we have a kid here, Yak, who is evidently enjoying playing with Hemsky and Gagner and Kreuger has stated this, so if its a positive experience, and he is getting opportunity, chances, and learning on that line why stymie him in a darkhole where the bleak result if fairly known. To me this is like giving the kid ice cold showers in a brothel and expecting him to score.
Yeah I was a bit harsh there, sorry.

Valid points. Still feel it's worth a try and I think it's interesting to see him trying to create offense on his own. And Yak is 19 he should have no problem scoring despite cold showers...

OiledUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 07:56 PM
  #490
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 36,462
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OiledUp View Post
Yeah I was a bit harsh there, sorry.

Valid points. Still feel it's worth a try and I think it's interesting to see him trying to create offense on his own. And Yak is 19 he should have no problem scoring despite cold showers...
I don't know that Sidney Crosby would score much out on the town with MPS and Belanger who come across as virgins..

ANYBODY put on with these people in the last two years has seen their production drop off a cliff. Like I stated theres virtually no coherent passing on a line with Belanger and MPS. lets put Whitney there too supporting that for ***** and giggles

Its like watching two kids with attention deficit trying to play tablehockey while watching a Simpsons marathon and gobbling iced cupcakes downed with Orange soda.

The puck randomly flies anywhere..

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 08:51 PM
  #491
ToeDrag83
Down, Not Out
 
ToeDrag83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Oil Country
Posts: 993
vCash: 500
Not a fan of the line changes.

Why is our leading goal scorer playing outside the top 6?

I was starting to admire Kreuger's persistence with keeping the top 6 intact because it was evident there was chemistry building between Yak-Gagner-Hemsky. Does wonders for a line when they are given a chance to get used to each other and learn one another's tendencies. That line was getting better shift by shift.

And to be fair to Hall-RNH-Eberle, they are facing other team's top lines. But their only problem is passing on shooting opportunities and being too fancy.

If there had to be a shake up, I'd have liked to see Gagner and RNH simply switch spots in the original top 6. Gagner has been a catalyst for his line, and he can possibly force Hall and Eberle to simplify their decisions a bit. Yak-RNH-Hemsky has a ton of potential too.

ToeDrag83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 10:10 PM
  #492
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit
 
dustrock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 4,873
vCash: 500
You gonna drop Eberle or Hemsky to line 3? Unlikely.

You see any benefit in Yakupov playing his natural position?

dustrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 10:41 PM
  #493
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(
 
Mr Forever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: COLLEGE
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,551
vCash: 500
I don't see a big deal in having Yak play on that line for a couple games until some guys are back.

He's the youngest of the RWs and they probably want to get him on his natural side, so that's how it works. Also, they want to get scoring from all three lines, so they spread the skill around and mix it with some size.

Mr Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 10:41 PM
  #494
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight
 
nexttothemoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Northern Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,931
vCash: 50
Someone needs to hurry up and make a new GDT so we can all ***** about this in the proper place.

nexttothemoon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 10:49 PM
  #495
Stoneman89
Registered User
 
Stoneman89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 7,033
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Oppositional much?

Save it.

Yeah, last I checked 2nd line forwards scoring 12 goals in 10GP is pretty damned good. You'd be hardpressed to find many 2nd lines with better production. ftr the 12 goals is more than half of the total scored by the whole club.

Offensively its the only line on the club producing. It would be a good line in every aspect if it wasn't weighted down with the deplorable play of Whitney.

This much must somehow escape you.

carry on I guess.

As was stated, 7 of those were on the PP which will stay intact and won't be affected and another was into an empty net, so that leaves 4 at even strength. Not good enough. A change will do us no harm. 10 goals in and the team scoring 2 goals a game isn't going to cut it. And when did Whitney start playing on their line?

As for being oppositional, I believe it would be you that fall into that category, refuting and chastizing every single move Tambellini or Krueger make. I'm bringing balance.

Stoneman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 10:50 PM
  #496
402
#ualberta
 
402's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Edmonton
Country: Egypt
Posts: 2,853
vCash: 500
I think for afternoon games we should break the midnight GDT rule. So there is time before the game to discuss it!
I for one don't wake up early on Saturday.

402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 11:25 PM
  #497
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 36,462
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman89 View Post
As was stated, 7 of those were on the PP which will stay intact and won't be affected and another was into an empty net, so that leaves 4 at even strength. Not good enough. A change will do us no harm. 10 goals in and the team scoring 2 goals a game isn't going to cut it. And when did Whitney start playing on their line?

As for being oppositional, I believe it would be you that fall into that category, refuting and chastizing every single move Tambellini or Krueger make. I'm bringing balance.
Whitney is matched with the Gagner line the vast majority of time which you'd know if you watched all the games. Thus, he's on ice, and contributing greatly to GA, when the Gagner line is on the ice. Kreuger is specifically doing this matching. The Schultzes are also specifically matched with the Nuge line.

As far as your interaction on the board I'm not being an ahole with members of the board. If you think my criticism of the org and decisions justifies you being routinely caustic and dismissive in response I have better things to do than continuing to respond to that.

You decide.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 11:46 PM
  #498
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty
 
The Nuge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,894
vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
Someone needs to hurry up and make a new GDT so we can all ***** about this in the proper place.
That's what I was thinking. Quick! Someone out east, where it's technically the right day, make a thread

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 12:01 AM
  #499
Beerfish
Registered User
 
Beerfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 10,852
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman89 View Post

As for being oppositional, I believe it would be you that fall into that category, refuting and chastizing every single move Tambellini or Krueger make. I'm bringing balance.
Please tell me when either of these guys accomplish anything at all. This organization from top to bottom deserves to be looked at with a very critical eye on every single move they make. Six years and going with no playoffs, dead last or 2nd to last the last three years.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 12:08 AM
  #500
CupofOil
Registered User
 
CupofOil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Rock Bottom
Country: United States
Posts: 13,705
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Oppositional much?

Save it.

Yeah, last I checked 2nd line forwards scoring 12 goals in 10GP is pretty damned good. You'd be hardpressed to find many 2nd lines with better production. ftr the 12 goals is more than half of the total scored by the whole club.

Offensively its the only line on the club producing. It would be a good line in every aspect if it wasn't weighted down with the deplorable play of Whitney.

This much must somehow escape you.

carry on I guess.
True but they were also bleeding goals against at an alarming rate and even though some of that could be attributed to the D pairings that they were playing with, some of that was also on Gagner, Hemsky and Yakupov who each turn the puck over too much in the neutral zone and a lot of times, got caught up the ice. Also, keep in mind, that they weren't creating nearly as many offensive chances as the top line, they were just cashing in on less opportunties. I couldn't imagine this line holding up over the long haul.

The bottom line is that something had to be done about the forward lines, it simply wasn't working as it was.
Everybody loves to focus on this being a supposed demotion of Yakupov but this is not about Yakupov, it's about improving the team. The team is more important than any individual player. Yakupov will still get plenty of PP opportunities to boost his offense and the 3rd line will likely get almost as many minutes as the top 2 lines since Krueger likes to keep his lines fresh by constantly rolling out different lines.

What Krueger is trying to accomplish with these changes is balanced scoring over 3 lines so he can roll them out equally and to also play Yakupov with more defensive minded players so that he can afford to take chances with the safety net of Belanger and Paajarvi providing solid defensive support.
Also, by adding Hartikainen to RNH and Eberle line (something i've been suggesting for a while), that adds sandpaper to balance out the skill in the top 6.

Think about it.... Instead of depending on 2 lines for offense, Krueger can roll out 3 separate lines with Eberle, Hall then Yakupov coming at the defense in waves.
I applaud Krueger for recognizing the lack of balance, realizing that the lines as they were weren't working and doing something about it early enough in the season.
There are no guarantees that this approach will work but something had to be done.
I'm excited to see if this experiment works.

CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:09 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.