HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oilers lose 3-2 to the Stars

Old
02-07-2013, 12:53 AM
Asher

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoon View Post
You would think Whitney himself is getting embarrassed at this point.
Horrible coverage on that OT goal but the even worse play was when he just gave up the puck behind the net like a little kid in the first period. I couldn't believe what I saw.

Good ol' Stauffer on the OT goal - "Ryan is just the kind of guy who will say he could have had a better stick in there."

Unlike Stauffer and Brown, I'm not even going to blame Dubnyk on that goal. Allowed to walk right into the slot, Jagr isn't going to miss many of those.

I liked Hall's jump tonight.

Souray with his fourth of the year and second consecutive GWG tonight. Just saying.
I missed the part from Bob but I can just imagine him saying it. Bob sounds like a politician doing damage control when talking about the bad players on this team.

Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 12:54 AM
Grod
The New Era Lives On

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Dynasty View Post
also a weak call on Daley against PRV...Oil didn't capitalize

it goes both ways...loser teams have excuses
I agree with the last part but don't go acting like Oil didn't get shorted on the offside or especially the too many men missed call. Hard to imagine Hemskys hook wasn't a soft call when he defended put his hand on Hemskys stick then slipped in between his stick and body to draw a weak call. I don't like excuses but that missed call in OT is inexcusable.

Grod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
DrDrai
Destiny Panic's 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by runeeres View Post
If he's got a pulse, he's better than Whitney.
i mean it would be worth it, at least he's more mobile, and he usually seems pretty sound defensively, get rid of whitney for a 3rd rounder, or something, I'm sure we could find someone to give us a 2nd possibly

DrDrai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
calvinguy

Whitney is getting so many negative tweets, kinda makes me feel sorry for him.

calvinguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
McPuritania
Fire Woodcroft

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceonfire View Post
People forget that this is the same coaching from last year. When everyone was screaming at the Oilers to bench Barker and Belanger but they played them anyways.

Krueger was there, not just Renney.

I had always wanted Sutter, he would have ripped Whitney a new hole after tonights game.
To be fair to Krueger, he doesn't have a lot to work with right now. Fistric has an ouchy on his bum, and Peckham is working off his cheeseburger diet. At this point I'd rather see Hordichuk on D than Whitney though.

McPuritania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Lessy

Classic overreaction on HF Oil. We have one NHL center playing and we get a point while outshooting the opposition. We're above .500 through ten games. The sky isn't falling but it will if these injuries don't stop soon.

Lessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 12:55 AM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

I do feel bad for Dubnyk in that he never gets to play with the lead, especially in the 3rd.

And as much as the 3rd and 4th lines had some good moments, still no secondary scoring on this team.

I'd honestly blow up this team other than the big 4, Schultz. Everyone else should be available.

Of course, blowing up the team would start at the very top.

dustrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 12:55 AM
Bum
Ontario Oiler fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanahanigans View Post
Still down at Rexall, got some news to report. Ryan Whitney has just finished his pivot on Jagr's goal.

Bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 12:56 AM
McDeepika

The last play was horrible by Whitney but I am willing to cut him a little (and I stress little) slack. Jagr is one of the best to ever do it and he has beat dmen a lot better than Whitney his whole career.

That being said, why did Whitney (and Potter) give Benn so much room rushing the puck up the ice? He was literally all alone and they just both kept backing up and just gave him the zone. If either one of them closes the gap, he likely has to dump it in and we could have went and got it.

McDeepika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
McShiva
5-14-6-1

Horrible to lose like this, but we should all be use to it by now.

I think the true problem with the Oilers and their woes for the last few years has always been the management. 4th coach, inability to recognize the most basic problems, and the complete lack of action.

If I was a owner, and I wanted to lose for years just for the draft picks, I would be happy though.

McShiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Starbuds
You like muscles?

Jagr is one of the greatest goalscorers of all time. It was a perfectly placed shot. I won't get on Dubnyk's case for that one.

Starbuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Chooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lessy View Post
Classic overreaction on HF Oil. We have one NHL center playing and we get a point while outshooting the opposition. We're above .500 through ten games. The sky isn't falling but it will if these injuries don't stop soon.
These injuries are being way too over-exaggerated by a lot of posters.

Chooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Joey Moss
5-14-6-1

Must win against Detroit. We dropped 3 games we should have won and we could have been way higher in the standings but we've blown it.

EDIT - And after that Columbus and Dallas could be a huge boost for the team.

Joey Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Asher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niet View Post
We'll be the Florida of last year and lose our way into the playoffs, book it.
I'd be willing to take that bet.

Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 12:57 AM
nexttothemoon
darkness.myoldfriend

Oilers may have outshot the Stars but the Stars still outplayed them and had more offensive pressure. Dallas had another 36 shots blocked/missed the net whereas the Oilers had only another 22 in that category.

The Oil simply have the ice tilted towards their own end every single game and it's a small miracle they pull out a point from many games... due to Dubnyk mainly at this point.

nexttothemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
harpoon
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
It might be time to fire up the draft threads ladies and gents. I'm fed up with the same old **** every year. Yeah Yeah, it's only 9 games in, injuries, too young blah blah blah. As i said, same old ****, different season.
Bob Marley was wrong. Everything is NOT gonna be alright.
Ok. maybe i'm overreacting a bit but i'm just disheartened with this whole organization right now. It sucks being so passionate about this team.
I made a post yesterday and you stopped by to call it
Quote:
a bunch of crazy reactionary hyperbole. Just craziness.
Respectfully, because I do like you as a poster ....

harpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
DrDrai
Destiny Panic's 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lessy View Post
The problem is that its repeat offenders, I thought they played well considering who they had, but then whitney gets embarrassed and we lose, Its frustrating when the team hangs in there only to have either potter/whitney lose it for us

Old
Draw Me a McElephant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puritania View Post
Yup, pretty ******* concerning when a team with this much supposed firepower can't pot more than two goals in any given game. It kills me to see Eberle having such troubles.
There is more to scoring goals at ES in the NHL than raw offensive skill. You need to be able to win some battles along the boards, in front of the net, and most importantly, you need to be able to actually back check and play some defense in your own zone so you can actually get the damn puck. Very few guys on this team are capable of any of those things. Seriously, if we were to rate every single player on the team in terms of their defensive ability, is there a single player on the roster who would score better than "average"??

Draw Me a McElephant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 12:58 AM
Dazed and Confused
Ludicrous speed, GO!

Well at the very least they're still picking up loser points during this skid, and with how depleted this team is at the moment that's nothing short of a miracle.

Your move Tambo.

And while I'm here, on the topic of Whitney. It's quiet clear that he's unhappy with his role, seems like he still thinks he should be higher in the lineup. It's fine that he's depressed/upset, but to see him mopping around and putting in about as my care and effort as Barker, it's telling that he that he's checked out and given up on the team.

Dazed and Confused is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 12:58 AM
Tom Brady
▌░▌░▌░▌░▌░▌░▌░▌░▌░▌

Refs have screwed us all year, it's Un****ingacceptable.

Stars second goal was offside, Hemsky got a stick in the face in the 3rd, should've been 4 mins, in O.T. too many men against the Stars, all missed calls, it's tough to win when the refs are against you, also it doesn't help having Whitney and Potter on your team.

The only NHL caliber defenceman's we have are Smid and the Schultz's.

Tom Brady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 12:59 AM
Quinteoilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSC View Post
What does Ralph see in Whitney and Potter? Seriously, they're absolutely ****ing terrible and shouldn't belong in the NHL. These guys are AHL defensemen.

Hemsky was flying again tonight. Yakupov is 10x more dangerous on RW. Eberle doesn't have an ounce of confidence right now. Schultz is good. Hall is good at face-offs.
We don't have any other defensemen left to use. See if Tamby can come up with a better option for a defensemen. Yakupov has got to get more selfish and shoot more. The one he rang off the post, the poor goalie didn't even flinch.

Quinteoilers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 12:59 AM
shoop

vCash: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenHAWKING View Post
Yes. RNH and Fistric back next game.

When does Khabibulin get a start?

shoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 01:00 AM
DrDrai
Destiny Panic's 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazed and Confused View Post
Well at the very least they're still picking up loser points during this skid, and with how depleted this team is at the moment that's nothing short of a miracle.

Your move Tambo.

And while I'm here, on the topic of Whitney. It's quiet clear that he's unhappy with his role, seems like he still thinks he should be higher in the lineup. It's fine that he's depressed/upset, but to see him mopping around and putting in about as my care and effort as Barker, it's telling that he that he's checked out and given up on the team.
The thing that i find odd, is during the open practices he was noticeably quicker, he was better hall/yakupov to the puck on multiple drills, and both players were going all out, now he looks like he has cement shoes. Maybe he just isn't motivated, either ways he's not helping the team

Old
02-07-2013, 01:01 AM
McDNicks17
Save us, Connor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonight We Are Young View Post
Refs have screwed us all year, it's Un****ingacceptable.

Stars second goal was offside, Hemsky got a stick in the face in the 3rd, should've been 4 mins, in O.T. too many men against the Stars, all missed calls, it's tough to win when the refs are against you, also it doesn't help having Whitney and Potter on your team.

The only NHL caliber defenceman's we have are Smid and the Schultz's.
Hemsky got hit by the puck, not a stick.

McDNicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 01:01 AM
McCupofOil
Save Us McJesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenHAWKING View Post
Yes they are. The team wasn't playing that well for the most part with all these guys. They played tonight as well as they did in any other game this season, injuries are a convenient excuse and yes, the reffing was bad also but that's another convenient excuse.

The team is getting badly outshot and outchanced most nights, it's only a matter of time until Dubnyk succombs then what?
We better hope that the top line returns to form because i don't see where else the scoring will come from, the "2nd line" is doing their part and that's it.

McCupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote