HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Oilers lose 3-2 to the Stars

Old
02-07-2013, 12:01 AM
DL44

vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Bieber View Post
can we make the playoffs if we keep getting loser points?
If they can get 7 more wins than losses, then very likely yes.

If they work a record of 10-3-35, 55pts they may just sqeeze in.

Or any record where 48gms + (Wins - Reg Losses) = 55

Or simply 7 more wins than reg losses = playoffs (or on the doorstep.)

DL44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 12:02 AM
Asher

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazed and Confused View Post
Well at the very least they're still picking up loser points during this skid, and with how depleted this team is at the moment that's nothing short of a miracle.

Your move Tambo.

And while I'm here, on the topic of Whitney. It's quiet clear that he's unhappy with his role, seems like he still thinks he should be higher in the lineup. It's fine that he's depressed/upset, but to see him mopping around and putting in about as my care and effort as Barker, it's telling that he that he's checked out and given up on the team.
It's pretty tough to make moves once the season has begun. The summer is the time to do it, which is why I keep getting on Tambo for being so passive every year. You reap what you sow from the offseason to he regular season.

Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
oilers2k10
Yak Don't Back Down

vCash: 203
honestly RNH needs to be out bulking up for a few months..or play in europe or juniors..he's way to lanky and talented to survive on a team that has nobody that knows how to stand up for a fellow teammate..
Don't wanna see Tootoo destroy RNH's shoulders for the next two years..I'm already scared.

oilers2k10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
OILFAN #81

We need better defenseman plain and simple. Happy with the Schultz-Schultz pairing. Smid and Petry will have times where they look great but terrible at others. Whitney and Potter I am not fans of. We need to replace those two for actual NHL defenseman.

Up front I hate the continuous being way too cute and not getting the puck out of the zone when they are 5 feet or less from getting it out. Arcobello did it twice tonight, Gagner did it (and is usually the main culprit of this), and a few others too.

Positives: I am confident with Dubnyk in net. Perhaps he should have had the OT goal but he is the main reason we pick up points in these games. Some terrible defensive play giving up odd man rushes and quality chances. I also have liked the way the 2nd line has played lately. Hemsky is showing heart, Gagner and Yakupov have been coming back. Hall seems to give it his all every shift, and I really like Paajarvi/Hartikainen in the bottom 6. I wish Belanger comes back soon, we miss his faceoffs and defensive play.

The goal this offseason should be to get at least 1, but probably 2 quality top 4 defenseman which is what most teams want lol.

OILFAN #81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Puritania
Skooma Addict

vCash: 1206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draw me an Elephant View Post
There is more to scoring goals at ES in the NHL than raw offensive skill. You need to be able to win some battles along the boards, in front of the net, and most importantly, you need to be able to actually back check and play some defense in your own zone so you can actually get the damn puck. Very few guys on this team are capable of any of those things. Seriously, if we were to rate every single player on the team in terms of their defensive ability, is there a single player on the roster who would score better than "average"??
Yup I agree, this team is unable to win a puck battle outside of the Nordic line. It's brutal watching this team rifle the puck along the boards in our zone and pray that it somehow gets out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazed and Confused View Post
Well at the very least they're still picking up loser points during this skid, and with how depleted this team is at the moment that's nothing short of a miracle.

Your move Tambo.

And while I'm here, on the topic of Whitney. It's quiet clear that he's unhappy with his role, seems like he still thinks he should be higher in the lineup. It's fine that he's depressed/upset, but to see him mopping around and putting in about as my care and effort as Barker, it's telling that he that he's checked out and given up on the team.
I'd be fine with him being upset at his diminished role if he was a serviceable defenseman. At this point he should be happier than a pig in **** that he is still in the NHL.

Puritania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Six in O6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240SX93 View Post
The problem is that its repeat offenders, I thought they played well considering who they had, but then whitney gets embarrassed and we lose, Its frustrating when the team hangs in there only to have either potter/whitney lose it for us
Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoon View Post
I made a post yesterday and you stopped by to call it Respectfully, because I do like you as a poster ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoop View Post
Yes. RNH and Fistric back next game.

When does Khabibulin get a start?
Never.

Six in O6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 12:03 AM
JetsAlternate

I was very impressed with the second line today! They looked absolutely terrific. Hemsky, Yakupov, and Gagner were all looking for each other, and generated some tremendous chances as a result of their passing, skating, and puck movement in the offensive zone. Hemsky's goal was the result of a great shift by that line.

Nail looked energetic, meanwhile, and had the puck more often than I'd seen in the past. I'm not a huge fan of those touch passes he makes sometimes, as I find he tries to move the puck too quickly. Hopefully, he'll learn to be more patient with the puck and not panic as much with it. He tries to whip the puck off his stick as if it's a grenade, something I'm not entirely a fan of. When regrouping in his zone, I'd like to see him be actively aware of where the puck is on the breakout. Sometimes when he passes the puck to his defenseman, he turns away. I'd like to see him stay a bit closer to the defenseman on the breakout, as long cross-ice passes aren't going to reach him as successfully.

He hit two posts with his wristshot, and had lots of chances in the slot. He carried the puck a bit more today and was a major factor offensively. The team still couldn't set him up for the one-timer on the powerplay, but five-on-five, he had his chances. That's what I want to see from him! Speed, hands, and his shot are what I expect from him. He knocked down one guy pretty well with a good check too. It's unfortunate he was trapped on the ice for the OT goal against, but he wasn't at all responsible for allowing it to happen, unlike the Tanev goal against Vancouver.

Hemsky, individually, played a tremendous game. He had lots of speed, made some nifty moves, and created a lot. I think he's a fabulous individual player, and though I've criticized him a lot for not sharing the puck this season thus far, he distributed it well tonight.

It was a very good game by the team today. Some unlucky breaks and a few mistakes, but solid for the most part. Justin Schultz with a very good game, as well as Gagner and the new guy. Eberle, for the most part, played a good game as well -- it's too bad he missed the net on that set up.

JetsAlternate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
CupofOil

Quote:
I made a post yesterday and you stopped by to call it Respectfully, because I do like you as a poster ....
Haha, fair enough but i did acknowledge in that post that the team has a lot of issues. It's just that it's too early for the Fire Tamby stuff and i thought you were too hard on Dubnyk who has been our savior this season.
I am growing pretty apathetic though. Years of failures is starting to take its toll on me and i'm sure a lot of others here as well.
I'm just sick of the moral victories and want to see this team turn the corner badly and the early season signs don't look good.

CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Qrispy

Anyone who gives the team a pass for the Avs, Nucks, and now Stars game is out of their mind. 3 totally winnable games. In the two most recent games, we lost that extra point because of one stupid play from a single player. No excuse for this crap.

Qrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 12:04 AM
Capital J

On the plus side - I loved Yakupov's celebration with Hemsky.

Capital J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
nofool6110
Best @ tanking ainec

So... when your (natural) centre depth is now, essentially:
Gagner
Arcobello
Vande Velde
... Martindale

Yup, of course it's time to blow up the team. Right at the top. Trade everyone. Including that Eberle kid.

nofool6110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Learning process I guess

Mr Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Puritania
Skooma Addict

vCash: 1206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinteoilers View Post
We don't have any other defensemen left to use. See if Tamby can come up with a better option for a defensemen. Yakupov has got to get more selfish and shoot more. The one he rang off the post, the poor goalie didn't even flinch.
Agree with that. Yak's line has been our best by far, but I'd like to see him shoot when he is in a decent position, he is being a little too generous imo.

Puritania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 12:05 AM
Gret99zky
Worst Thread Ever

vCash: 6964
Tambi doesn't see a 48 game season as a chance to make the playoffs.

He sees it as 34 less games until the draft lottery night.

Gret99zky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 12:05 AM
Ranfordrocks

potter is not that bad for 6th or 7th guy but whitney is down right horrible he seems to have lost a step trade him somewhere for anything...call up another dman from farm fedun would work.

Ranfordrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 12:06 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

So two weeks ago people here are asking me what I had against Whitney and why I "hated" him.

Whitney was done last year and I said so. Course I didn't know what I was talking about...

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 12:06 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher View Post
I can almost hear Stauffer saying, "Ryan Whitney has got to better." That's what passes for criticism from him these days.
When you are as slow as Whitney is you need to have the inside position on the player. That was a POS attempt at a poke check and when it failed he would have to be one of the Schultz boys to have a hope in hell of recovering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdeol44 View Post
you can tell by whitney's face after that goal.. he knows he is done.. brutal
If he can live the rest of his life relatively pain free then I honestly don't feel bad for him.

Quote:
You would think Whitney himself is getting embarrassed at this point.
Horrible coverage on that OT goal but the even worse play was when he just gave up the puck behind the net like a little kid in the first period. I couldn't believe what I saw.

Good ol' Stauffer on the OT goal - "Ryan is just the kind of guy who will say he could have had a better stick in there."

Unlike Stauffer and Brown, I'm not even going to blame Dubnyk on that goal. Allowed to walk right into the slot, Jagr isn't going to miss many of those.

I liked Hall's jump tonight.

Souray with his fourth of the year and second consecutive GWG tonight. Just saying.
That pass behind the net to no one in particular was disgusting. We've seen Strudwick, Barker, Chorney, etc. in recent years and that was flat out disgusting.

Good for Souray, he started out hot last year we'll see how he does going forward, but he can't be any worse than Whitney. As for not blaming Dubnyk good call, he had no chance there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanahanigans View Post
Still down at Rexall, got some news to report. Ryan Whitney has just finished his pivot on Jagr's goal.
Nice, it's too bad that all of the players are off the ice, showered, dressed, and back home or at the hotel already.

02-07-2013, 12:07 AM
xlnc66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranfordrocks View Post
potter is not that bad for 6th or 7th guy but whitney is down right horrible he seems to have lost a step trade him somewhere for anything...call up another dman from farm fedun would work.
Potter is just horrible. Peckham looks like Ray Bourque when compared to Potter.

xlnc66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

No, it's the same criticisms over and over again. What is it 1 regulation win this year?

The frustration only increases when we see the same problems over and over again.

What's the definition of insanity again? I think I'd live longer if I didn't watch hockey

dustrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Chooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakuBOT View Post
Anyone who gives the team a pass for the Avs, Nucks, and now Stars game is out of their mind. 3 totally winnable games. In the two most recent games, we lost that extra point because of one stupid play from a single player. No excuse for this crap.
Exactly. I can't comprehend how some people refuse to see the logic which should be blatant at this point.

Chooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 12:08 AM
MALKIN NTHE MIDDLE
▀████╱█████▀

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
Hemsky got hit by the puck, not a stick.
I swear to god I thought it was the stick.

some funny tweets out there.

mental_gas ‏@mental_gas
I bet Whitney blocks more people on twitter tonight than he has shots all year. #truth

an Wood ‏@ibleedoil
Hey look at that, Ryan Whitney, standing still, while a goal is scored. Whoda thunk it?

MALKIN NTHE MIDDLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
nofool6110
Best @ tanking ainec

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlnc66 View Post
Potter is just horrible. Peckham looks like Ray Bourque when compared to Potter.
You and I remember Peckham very very differently.

nofool6110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Bum
Ontario Oiler fan

Someone on Strudwick's show just asked if the Oilers should trade Whitney for a center. His response was "do you try to sell your house right after a flood?"

Bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 12:09 AM
Asher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
So two weeks ago people here are asking me what I had against Whitney and why I "hated" him.

Whitney was done last year and I said so. Course I didn't know what I was talking about...
Hold on, I need to tune in to 3CP1... errr 630CHED, on this one.

Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 12:09 AM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

If its true that it's a motivation thing with Whitney that's a real shame.

I'd prefer that he be physically unable to play anymore.

dustrock is offline   Reply With Quote