HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oilers lose 3-2 to the Stars

Old
02-07-2013, 12:10 AM
nofool6110
Best @ tanking ainec

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bum View Post
Someone on Strudwick's show just asked if the Oilers should trade Whitney for a center. His response was "do you try to sell your house right after a flood?"
Realistically, that's more about the fact that Whitney has probably negative trade value than the fact we're overreacting.

But we're overreacting.

nofool6110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 12:10 AM
McRib
2nd Rate Fan

I know this is a prospect loving board, but blowing everything up? Y'all short sighted.

We got geared hard this game by a couple of missed calls. Eberle can't buy a goal right now, but once that top line has one dominating game, I think things will change. Still early in a short season.

I'd like to see Whitney in the press box though. Can't count how many times a puck on his stick in the defensive zone ended up on a Stars' stick. Unacceptable.

Unfortunately, I don't think Peckham would be any better.

I hope that Tambellini's next call for a centre is to another NHL team and not to the AHL. Arcobello wasn't bad, but he's not an NHL player. We need NHL calibre depth.

McRib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 12:11 AM
Bryanbryoil
Paying Off A Bet

Theo Peckham must have Sherman Klump's physique to not be playing ahead of Whitney.

02-07-2013, 12:11 AM
xlnc66

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofool6110 View Post
You and I remember Peckham very very differently.
The thing with Peckham is, at least he will play physical and use is size. How sad was it that Potter got outworked for a puck by a 5'8" Jordan Schroeder on the Canucks the other night. It's bad enough he can't make a pass to get out of his zone, but he won't even play physical.

xlnc66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 12:12 AM
alanschu

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvinguy View Post
Whitney is getting so many negative tweets, kinda makes me feel sorry for him.
The fan reaction is short sighted, unfortunately.

It's unlikely that it will actually improve Whitney's game any, though it could make it even worse.

alanschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 12:12 AM
JetsAlternate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puritania View Post
Agree with that. Yak's line has been our best by far, but I'd like to see him shoot when he is in a decent position, he is being a little too generous imo.
I'm not liking those snappy passes he makes. Some are too hard for his teammates to handle, and some fly off of his stick when he still has room to skate with it. He has to calm down and not one-touch it as much.

At some point, he'll have to be partially responsible for his lack of shooting opportunities. I've complained that he hasn't been given the puck too much in the past, but today he had the puck enough in great shooting areas to snap it on goal and potentially score. Sometimes, he would feather it across the ice despite walking in with the shooting lane open. He needs to be a bit more selfish and use that shot of his.

I think he's proven he can make plays and share the puck, but sometimes he overdoes it. Sometimes he tries too hard to distribute it, and sometimes gives the puck up. He has the gifts of a goal scorer and should make the most of them. Hopefully, he'll learn to become a more patient player as well.

JetsAlternate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 12:14 AM
Grod
The New Era Lives On

Wow is Whitney getting roasted on Twitter. Kind of amusing, in a pathetic devoid of emotion sort of way. Still some witty one-liners.

Grod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 12:14 AM
nofool6110
Best @ tanking ainec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Theo Peckham must have Sherman Klump's physique to not be playing ahead of Whitney.

You know you're in some serious trouble when your saviour... is Teddy Peckman.

Old
02-07-2013, 12:15 AM
Hemskyfanboy83

Hemsky and Hall were easily the best players on the ice for us tonight. They looked good together in the 3rd for those couple of shifts on the PP as well.

I wouldn't mind playing Eberle with Gagner and Yakupov and playing Hemsky with Hall.

Also I love the little nasty streak Yakupov has. He loves to play that physical game. Killer shot off the post as well. He is more raw right now than Hall and RNH were when they came in but he has great gifts.

Hemskyfanboy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 12:16 AM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

The good news is we scored an ES goal!

Bad news is we're still 30th in the league for ES goals for(and given our C depth this game, not surprising).

02-07-2013, 12:17 AM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post

LMAO! I was thinking the same thing. Whitney is done. Take him out behind the barn and put him out of his misery. Now.

Stoneman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 12:17 AM
Gret99zky
Worst Thread Ever

vCash: 50
the last few games I've noticed the forwards passing the puck out of the good shooting zones. gotta get more pucks to the net. hockey gods love that ****.

Gret99zky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 12:20 AM
DL44

vCash: 105
Possible logic for the Too Many Men to NOT be called:

You come over the boards and play the puck before your teammate is off the the ice... penalty as per usual.

In this case the puck was fired into Benn's chest as he popped over the boards with (Roy?) within the acceptable 10 ft zone?
- He didn't make an active attempt to play the thing.. It was shot into him.

Maybe that's it?

Otherwise wouldn't players be firing pucks at people jumping over the boards all the time if it was a black n white rule?

Just thinking out loud...

DL44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 12:21 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
Haha, fair enough but i did acknowledge in that post that the team has a lot of issues. It's just that it's too early for the Fire Tamby stuff and i thought you were too hard on Dubnyk who has been our savior this season.
I am growing pretty apathetic though. Years of failures is starting to take its toll on me and i'm sure a lot of others here as well.
I'm just sick of the moral victories and want to see this team turn the corner badly and the early season signs don't look good.
You may want to note the stuff you had to say to me earlier in the day as well. What goes around comes around. Not sure I deserved being attacked by several posters earlier in the day on my comments on Horc and Belanger.

Replacement is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 12:21 AM
Grod
The New Era Lives On

Surprised to see all the Yakupov critique here and not one applause for his stupendous back-checking and excellent play on the defensive side of the puck all night. He looked cool as a cool as a cucumber in his own zone and broke apart a few plays with his swinging stock shortly after a recent turnover. I applaud him on his play tonight. He's really shaping up well. His goals will come. The patience, intensity and talent are all apparent. He's improving nonetheless.

Grod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 12:23 AM
Expatriate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bum View Post
Someone on Strudwick's show just asked if the Oilers should trade Whitney for a center. His response was "do you try to sell your house right after a flood?"

Expatriate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
deep44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobs View Post
I know this is a prospect loving board, but blowing everything up? Y'all short sighted.
Agree with this.. Yeah it been a long time since we made the playoffs.. but many of those years where trying to build a team to sneak into 8th.. Since we drafted hall which is when the full rebuild started this is just the 3rd season of the rebuild.. and currently we are sitting in a playoff spot , and 1 point out of the nw division lead.. It is 10 games.. maybe people should relax and wait it out a bit before they starting having "blow it up" attacks. Points in 7 out of 10 games this year it is not the worst thing to happen.. they will get better.. well i don't know about whitney.. but this team will get better.. people forget that they are learning a new system as well.. players i focusing on not making defensive mistake.. well except whitney he is a defensive mistake.. the offense will come.. the team will get better.

Last edited by deep44: 02-07-2013 at 12:28 AM.
deep44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
nofool6110
Best @ tanking ainec

There's Yakupov critique here?

You guys are mad at him?

Did you see how adorable he was when he celebrated Hemsky's goal? He's like a puppy.

With some very sick mittens.

Old
02-07-2013, 12:28 AM
McRib
2nd Rate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofool6110 View Post
There's Yakupov critique here?

You guys are mad at him?

Did you see how adorable he was when he celebrated Hemsky's goal? He's like a puppy.

With some very sick mittens.
It's HFoil. The posters here are generally irrational at best, and since we lost, the pitchforks are out and the faithful need to give it to someone.

Yak had solid D play tonight. And showed that he's alright using the body (and the roughing penalty he got was BS)

McRib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 12:28 AM
Expatriate

Anyone else notice when the opposing team comes into our zone we back in or just try to stick check even when the check is about 2 feet away from the attacking forward. I know we are small team but bloody hell all you have to do is stand up at the blue line.

Expatriate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 12:29 AM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Hall had a strong game with the exception of his retard through the legs attempt. He can barely shoot the puck straight holding the stick properly, how does he get the audacity to act like Datsyuk? He wasn't even rushed, had all the time in the world, and pulls that garbage.

The Perfect Human* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 12:29 AM
Puritania
Skooma Addict

vCash: 423
Since when is anyone wanting to blow the team up? Acquiring a center to alleviate our woes down the middle, shoring up our defense so we don't have to rely on Potter, and Potterer, and adding some size is wanting to blow up the team? Let me know when anyone has actually suggested we trade all our young guns away. In the meantime people should cool it with the righteous indignation.

Puritania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 12:30 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grod View Post
Surprised to see all the Yakupov critique here and not one applause for his stupendous back-checking and excellent play on the defensive side of the puck all night. He looked cool as a cool as a cucumber in his own zone and broke apart a few plays with his swinging stock shortly after a recent turnover. I applaud him on his play tonight. He's really shaping up well. His goals will come. The patience, intensity and talent are all apparent. He's improving nonetheless.
Haven't read through it but Yak had a spirited game. Loved the thunderous check. Man this is a rookie with the balls to hit somebody like that. Got all of him. Hit two goalposts, was responsible for the Hemsky goal. Whats not to like?

This guy is giving it his all and plenty of jump. He's going to make mistakes and get positionally out of play. he's played 10 NHL games...

Replacement is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 12:31 AM
Puritania
Skooma Addict

vCash: 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobs View Post
It's HFoil. The posters here are generally irrational at best, and since we lost, the pitchforks are out and the faithful need to give it to someone.

Yak had solid D play tonight. And showed that he's alright using the body (and the roughing penalty he got was BS)
lolwut. Who is giving it to Yakupov? He's been playing well. The only thing he needs to do atm is work on shooting more. I hope he doesn't need to go on suicide watch after reading that scathing review.

Puritania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 12:32 AM
Wheatking

There have been nights where we got a point when we didn't deserve one. I thought we deserved more than 1 point tonight. There wasn't a full 60 minute effort and it was frustrating at times but we were better than the Stars. Dubnyk alone deserved the win.

I thought Yakupov played one of his best games of the season tonight. Much more noticeable 5 on 5 tonight.

...and I hate to jump on the Whitney bashing bandwagon but wow, he's playing terrible right now. The Jagr goal really draws attention to him but even without that mistake, he did almost nothing right tonight.

Wheatking is offline   Reply With Quote