Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Defense pairings

Old
02-07-2013, 12:33 PM
JetsHomer

vCash: 500
Defense pairings

We're in an odd situation. We have to many righties. Usually teams have to many lefties. We got Buff, Bogo, Redmond, Postma and Trouba coming up as righties. Someones gonna have to get moved or play left side, and to my knowledge there has been very few right-right pairings in the league.

Who should we move left? Postma maybe? Could let him use his one timer more.

JetsHomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 12:47 PM
sully1410

Either Post or Red. Either or really.

sully1410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 01:04 PM
Bob E

I'm good with moving Postma at some point. But not for at least a year.

Postma is a bigger, offensive-minded RH dman with a big shot from the point. That's a pretty valuable commodity which should yield a decent return - if he continues to put up pts. A team that is pretty short on offensive d, or need a pp qb, might move a decent forward prospect to get him.

Redmond is more physical and though he likely won't put up Postma type points, he'll put up more than stuart and hainsey, imo. He should be a very solid 3rd pairing guy, who can move up when there are injuries, etc.

Bogo and Trouba likely will be the foundation for Jets D corps for the next decade. I don't think either of those two are moved.

Bob E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 01:19 PM
Huffer

vCash: 1458
It would be nice if two guys could move over to the left, because I would love to see all of them on the ice (with Enstrom) at some point.

Huffer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 04:55 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob E View Post

Postma is a bigger, offensive-minded RH dman with a big shot from the point. That's a pretty valuable commodity which should yield a decent return - if he continues to put up pts. A team that is pretty short on offensive d, or need a pp qb, might move a decent forward prospect to get him.

Redmond is more physical and though he likely won't put up Postma type points, he'll put up more than stuart and hainsey, imo. He should be a very solid 3rd pairing guy, who can move up when there are injuries, etc.

Bogo and Trouba likely will be the foundation for Jets D corps for the next decade. I don't think either of those two are moved.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffer View Post
It would be nice if two guys could move over to the left, because I would love to see all of them on the ice (with Enstrom) at some point.
QFT

Postma is the most likely trade asset as Bogosian and Byfuglien are offensive enough that Postma isn't really needed as PP option while Redmond does PK. So Redmond is actually more valuable to us while Postma actually has more trade value (nice when that happens).

If one of them learns the left-side enough to be comfortable for soft minutes, I'd be fine with keeping both of them... but you come to the problem that when Trouba joins and needing a sheltered role for the first year. I guess you can scratch one of Postma/Redmond and make them a #7 by then.

What really gets interesting is when Trouba starts pushing for top4 minutes. Do you shop Byfuglien? Do you force one of Bogosian and Trouba to learn their offside and end up with a VERY menacing tough minute DZS pair?

I like the last one best (as I love Enstrom-Byfuglien pair for offense) but IF we're comfortable enough, Byfuglien could become a piece to send us back our biggest need, a 1C. Either way it leaves Chevy in a position that he loves and where he does best, when he has options.

I'd be very happy with 2015-16:
Enstrom-Byfuglien
Trouba-Bogosian
Redmond-Postma
Melchiori

garret9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 05:01 PM
ps241
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by garret9 View Post
QFT

Postma is the most likely trade asset as Bogosian and Byfuglien are offensive enough that Postma isn't really needed as PP option while Redmond does PK. So Redmond is actually more valuable to us while Postma actually has more trade value (nice when that happens).

If one of them learns the left-side enough to be comfortable for soft minutes, I'd be fine with keeping both of them... but you come to the problem that when Trouba joins and needing a sheltered role for the first year. I guess you can scratch one of Postma/Redmond and make them a #7 by then.

What really gets interesting is when Trouba starts pushing for top4 minutes. Do you shop Byfuglien? Do you force one of Bogosian and Trouba to learn their offside and end up with a VERY menacing tough minute DZS pair?

I like the last one best (as I love Enstrom-Byfuglien pair for offense) but IF we're comfortable enough, Byfuglien could become a piece to send us back our biggest need, a 1C. Either way it leaves Chevy in a position that he loves and where he does best, when he has options.

Enstrom-Byfuglien
Trouba-Bogosian
Redmond-Postma
Melchiori

That is very attractive looking. Let’s face it Detroit dressed 5 left handed D men last season for the better part of the year so it’s not like lopsided can't be done well.

ps241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 05:07 PM
Jets
Resident Sieve

Bogosian didn't actually have wrist surgery this offseason. He just saw the Jets draft choices and future of the d corps and has been learning to shoot left handed this whole time. He's coming back next week as a lefty.

Jets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 05:28 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
[/B]

That is very attractive looking. Let’s face it Detroit dressed 5 left handed D men last season for the better part of the year so it’s not like lopsided can't be done well.
It can be done... The problem is most lefties have experience extending all the way back from junior where they were forced to learn it just due to numbers game. Learning in NHL is a lot rarer (but does still happen! See VAN this year as Edler, Hamhuis and Garrison are all LHD and apparently have no-non-PP experience on offside). Right handed playing left side is a really strange and unique difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets View Post
Bogosian didn't actually have wrist surgery this offseason. He just saw the Jets draft choices and future of the d corps and has been learning to shoot left handed this whole time. He's coming back next week as a lefty.
LOL
First sentence I was shaking my head... and then you land the hook haha

Old
02-07-2013, 06:00 PM
jimmycrackcorn
HFBoards Sponsor

Interesting fact - 1972-73 Jets dressed a total of 5 blueliners the entire season. Some of the old-timers will recognize these names:
  • Larry Hornung
  • Joe Zanussi
  • Steve Cuddie
  • Bob Ash
  • Bob Woytowich

jimmycrackcorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 08:46 PM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets View Post
...or maybe he did have wrist surgery, some sort of hand swapping thing.

truck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 08:59 PM
Stej
Good Canadian Kid!

Redmond has been an AHL all-star in both seasons he played there. He has nothing left to prove at that level and he's now proving that he is NHL-capable. If he gets sent down when Buff and Bogo come back because of his contract status, I'll be pissed. He was patient, earned his chance, and now he's taking advantage of it. That's what the Jets are preaching so they lose all credibility if they send him back down.

Waive Clitsome. Postma becomes the 7th. Run with:

Enstrom - Buff
Hainsey - Bogo
Stuart - Redmond

Stej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 09:02 PM
Stej
Good Canadian Kid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stej View Post
Redmond has been an AHL all-star in both seasons he played there. He has nothing left to prove at that level and he's now proving that he is NHL-capable. If he gets sent down when Buff and Bogo come back because of his contract status, I'll be pissed. He was patient, earned his chance, and now he's taking advantage of it. That's what the Jets are preaching so they lose all credibility if they send him back down.

Waive Clitsome. Postma becomes the 7th. Run with:

Enstrom - Buff
Hainsey - Bogo
Stuart - Redmond
Bad timing bro.

Nice goal by Clitsome.

Stej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 10:40 PM
Bob E

Redmond is really playing steady hockey right now. Looks like a good young player.

Had time for fans, including my kids, at the development camp. Quality kid. Hope he continues to do well.

Old
02-08-2013, 06:23 AM
ps241
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stej View Post
Bad timing bro.

Nice goal by Clitsome.
Grant has not been as good as Redmond and not by a long shot IMO. I think the Jets are fully committed to keeping Postma up but like others I would be very disapointed at this point if we sent Redmond down.

Who knows maybe Buff will be out for a while still anyways.......we can't catch a break with the health of our D

ps241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 10:43 AM
Huffer

vCash: 1458
Quote:
Originally Posted by garret9 View Post

Enstrom-Byfuglien
Trouba-Bogosian
Redmond-Postma
Melchiori
That was my thought as well. Obviously not knowing what the future holds on trades, draft picks, etc. Really like that top 4, and would have to think that Redmond and Postma would be more than a solid 5-6 in another 2 seasons.

Huffer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 10:45 AM
GrandChelems

Well since Postma runs around like a headless chicken, loses most of his assignments, and spends a lot of time out of position on the left side anyway, I'd day move him to the left side.

GrandChelems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 11:44 AM
Jet Bomber
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Becoming a big Redmond fan.

Enstrom - Byfuglien
Hainsey - Bogosian
Stuart - Redmond

Jet Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 01:20 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandChelems View Post
Well since Postma runs around like a headless chicken, loses most of his assignments, and spends a lot of time out of position on the left side anyway, I'd day move him to the left side.
What? Where is this coming from? Postma has been solid getting his assignments right this season, other than when he is forced out of position by Clitsome from time to time. This is you clearly going by reputation, not what has happened this season...

Holden Caulfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 01:32 PM
TroubaFan1

When everyones healty id go

Buff-Toby
Hainsey-Bogo
Stuart-Redmond/Postma

To me, I think both Redmond and Postma will play pretty equal time. It will just depend on who's hot at that time, and what team we are going to be playing, imo.

TroubaFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 02:00 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroubaFan1 View Post
When everyones healty id go

Buff-Toby
Hainsey-Bogo
Stuart-Redmond/Postma

To me, I think both Redmond and Postma will play pretty equal time. It will just depend on who's hot at that time, and what team we are going to be playing, imo.
TroubaFan...
I know we don't always see eye-to-eye but here (and also that the game vs TOR Pav didn't play so bad) we agree

Old
02-08-2013, 05:32 PM
surixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob E View Post

Echo this, teams pay a premium for offensive defenseman. I would also wait until the offseason/draft. Play Postma in offensive situations for the rest of the year to increase his value and trade him for an equivalent young forward or a good two-way LHD.

surixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 05:44 PM
Lynk
Registered Bro

I'd like to see the dynamic of this board if when all D are healthy the 6th spot is given to Clitsome instead of Postma or Redmond.

Lynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 05:48 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynk View Post
I'd like to see the dynamic of this board if when all D are healthy the 6th spot is given to Clitsome instead of Postma or Redmond.
Possible. He has had some good games and back at CBJ he was quite dominate against weak competition when he was sheltered...
Last season was his worst statistical year in production and corsi/possession.
I still think it's unlikely since he predominately plays leftside.

Old
02-08-2013, 05:53 PM
Bob E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynk View Post
I'll lose it!!!