HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Robin Lehner

Old
02-13-2013, 08:11 AM
Curtinho
YNWA

vCash: 500
Robin Lehner

Genuinely interested in what other teams value him as? He has put up ridiculous numbers in the AHL as well as carrying a Calder Cup winning team on his back after facing elimination multiple times, showing up clutch in overtime and winning the playoff MVP. Has always had pretty big status as a potential #1 goalie but, I think, has really raised his stock the last couple years.

The problem in Ottawa, at least for me, is that you can't replace a guy like Craig Anderson. I'm aware that trading Anderson probably brings back something more especially with the way that he has played since coming to Ottawa, but that's exactly the issue -- he's really starting to prove himself as a top tier goalie in the league. I'd done comparisons before as to how Anderson had similar career numbers to Halak and Price (just examples of guys people have talked about as being top tier goalies) but people are only really starting to accept him now.

I know there are still a lot of people in Ottawa that would prefer to keep Lehner over Anderson, but unless something drastically changes I just can't support that. Lehner won't want to stay as a back-up forever and unless Anderson regresses in a big way I wouldn't want to move him...especially since he has only shown signs of stepping up his play in a big way in the playoffs.

So basically what would you offer for a goalie with Lehner's potential and pedigree?

Curtinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 08:20 AM
birddog*

He's having a real good year but two things limit his value. One, his save % this year is an anomaly prior to this year he has never had a save % of over .912 in the AHL. He also hasn't proven that he can be a number 1 in the NHL. By that I mean come in and played a season a a top tender. That doesn't mean he can't or won't it just means there's risk.

I know you want everyone to 'recognize' what a great young goalie he is and he does show that but he's not going to fetch a top 5 pick or a top prospect in the mould of a Yakupov. He has more value to Ottawa than anyone else. As Anderson ages he's the heir apparent and it makes perfect sense to keep him in the organization and groom him as that.

birddog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 08:28 AM
Curtinho
YNWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by birddog View Post
He's having a real good year but two things limit his value. One, his save % this year is an anomaly prior to this year he has never had a save % of over .912 in the AHL. He also hasn't proven that he can be a number 1 in the NHL. By that I mean come in and played a season a a top tender. That doesn't mean he can't or won't it just means there's risk.

I know you want everyone to 'recognize' what a great young goalie he is and he does show that but he's not going to fetch a top 5 pick or a top prospect in the mould of a Yakupov. He has more value to Ottawa than anyone else. As Anderson ages he's the heir apparent and it makes perfect sense to keep him in the organization and groom him as that.
An anomaly for a...21 year old goalie who previously carried his team through the playoffs and put up a .935 in the NHL last year (in a small sample size) and shut out the Bruins?

Like I said I doubt very much that Lehner will wait very long to become a #1 in the league, and Anderson is still only 31 years old which isn't an uncommon age for goalies to really break out. Luongo, Rinne, Crawford, Miller, Bryzgalov, Lundqvist, Brodeur, Smith etc. I realize some of them have been great for years before that but some are also years older than Anderson. He could end up being elite for years to come and you just don't give up a proven goalie like that.

Old
02-13-2013, 09:00 AM
wahoyaho

I'm not quite sold on Anderson yet

wahoyaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 09:01 AM
Qward
Because! That's why!

This is like trying to put a value on your wife to other men.

It is a bad idea and she is not worth as much to other people as she is to you.

Keep Lehner. He is a bright spot in our future.

Qward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 09:12 AM
SixthSens
Global Moderator
RIP Kev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qward View Post
This is like trying to put a value on your wife to other men.

It is a bad idea and she is not worth as much to other people as she is to you.

Keep Lehner. He is a bright spot in our future.
This. Having two competent goaltenders is never a bad thing, unless they're tying up a good chunk of cap space.

Bishop could be expendable, but I'm not ready to give up Lehner yet.

SixthSens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 09:43 AM
Curtinho
YNWA

Yes, having two competent goaltenders is great. How long do you think that Lehner is going to want to play back-up? How comfortable do you think it makes our goaltending situation if one of them knows they could be replaced if they have a weak streak of games?

Nobody wants a situation like they have in Vancouver. I'm aware that they are both playing well right now, but we've seen the drama that can come of it and depending on the ego of the player it can definitely get ugly.

Now if Lehner is ok playing back-up, and nobody feels threatened and there are no egos involved absolutely keep him. But if you can trade Lehner for a top tier forward/defence prospect or even roster player with some added value then you do that every time IMO.

For example if Edmonton falters with Dubnyk and they don't look like they have anything coming up...that might not be a bad place to try and send Lehner given their plethora of offensive talent.

Old
02-13-2013, 09:51 AM
Seatoo
Never Stop Poasting

vCash: 400
I dunno if you've heard but apparently starting #1 goalies are worth next to nothing and you have to add 5 1st rounders to get anything even if they are at the top of the league in GAA, sv%, wins etc. and the longer your goalie is an elite goaltender the less his value apparently even if he is locked up long term at a low cheater cap hit with multiple chances to trade him before his play drops off.

Sorry, I had to get that off my chest. Ottawa has a great goalie situation but be prepared to be lowball to high heaven.

Quote:
Nobody wants a situation like they have in Vancouver.
It did have the potential to be ugly but as Luo said on after hours it hasn't been an issue because of how good friends Schnider and Luo are. If it were any other goalie I'm sure Luo would be having a hissy fit.

Last edited by Seatoo: 02-13-2013 at 09:57 AM.
Seatoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 09:55 AM
SpezDispenser

Lehner's one of the top 3 goaltending prospects in the world, not to mention his father trained him as he trained Lundqvist. He's got that 'it' factor, he wants to be the guy and he'll work and work until he is.

Ottawa will promote him to the NHL next season where he'll backup Anderson and continue to push him - and if Anderson falters, he's there to grab his job. It's not fair, but that's life.

So with that said, unless people are willing to offer a huge overpayment, he's not going anywhere. His value? Rather large I would say, naming an equal prospect coming back in a trade would only serve to rile up the natives on here, so let's just say the price is HIGH.

SpezDispenser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 10:07 AM
tony d
RIP Hot Rod

The team would want a 2013 1st, a top defenseman prospect and a top 6 forward back. Lehner's worth that much to the future of this team.

02-13-2013, 10:07 AM
KA BLAMO

vCash: 569
We should be discussing the value of Ben Bishop.

KA BLAMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 10:18 AM
MoreGore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seatoo View Post
I dunno if you've heard but apparently starting #1 goalies are worth next to nothing and you have to add 5 1st rounders to get anything even if they are at the top of the league in GAA, sv%, wins etc. and the longer your goalie is an elite goaltender the less his value apparently even if he is locked up long term at a low cheater cap hit with multiple chances to trade him before his play drops off.

Sorry, I had to get that off my chest. Ottawa has a great goalie situation but be prepared to be lowball to high heaven.

It did have the potential to be ugly but as Luo said on after hours it hasn't been an issue because of how good friends Schnider and Luo are. If it were any other goalie I'm sure Luo would be having a hissy fit.
Being a Vancouver fan, you must have some understanding that Lou is hard to trade because of his contract, not because of his ability.

MoreGore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 10:19 AM
MoreGore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebolarama View Post
We should be discussing the value of Ben Bishop.
What about trading Anderson to a team like Philly.

MoreGore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 10:24 AM
jbeck5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreGore View Post
Only if we're out of the playoffs come deadline time, and philly overpays big time.

If come deadline he still has top 5 numbers despite us being out of the playoffs, he'd be a top 5 goalie. I don't give up a top 5 goalie without something like a 1st and a very good prospect.

jbeck5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 10:35 AM
Seatoo
Never Stop Poasting

vCash: 400
Quote:
Being a Vancouver fan, you must have some understanding that Lou is hard to trade because of his contract, not because of his ability.
Being a licensed financial planner I see a long term deal with an artificially low caphit, multiple out clauses for an elite asset. So no, logically from a financial POV the "bad contract" argument is complete and utter garbage and that cannot be argued. The only possible detriment to his contract is his salary for one of the "poor" teams. That being said 6.7M is not much for an elite #1 goalie for 20 of 30 teams in league.

So no, the contract doesn't lower his value in the eyes of financial professionals. So unless the NHL GMs have hired former Enron accountants it won't in their eyes either.

Seatoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 11:37 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Provolone & The Neck

vCash: 470
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony d View Post
The team would want a 2013 1st, a top defenseman prospect and a top 6 forward back. Lehner's worth that much to the future of this team.
They may want that but no one will pay it.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 11:49 AM
MrCraigAnderson
#rooster #classless

**** off. Lehner stays. For a Franchise that has struggled to find goaltenders, they aren't gonna trade away a 21 year old who is looking like he could be the guy for the next 15+ years.

MrCraigAnderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 11:50 AM
Lukus

I agree that we shouldn't trade Lehner right now. The shortened season is working to our advantage. Now Lehner only has a half season to wait before being promoted to the NHL, albeit as a backup but at least he will get his share of games in next year.

IF we had to trade a goalie right now, it would be Bishop but he won't return more than a 2nd by himself due to lack of exposure. Now if we were offered a top 4 D or top 6 forward WITH a top prospect for Anderson, I would take a long look at it.

Lukus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 12:05 PM
Kezia
egg

vCash: 50
Nope. Pointless to even discuss.

Kezia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 12:12 PM
DG

Quote:
I can't understand how anyone could want to trade Anderson...

DG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 12:19 PM
Kris Chreider
Pass Off The Pads

If the Rangers win our Cup this year they might be interested since we don't have a top goalie prospect to replace Lundqvist.

Kris Chreider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 12:31 PM
wubwubwubwub
What, Me Worry?

IF thats the direction the team wants to go in, I would do Lehner for something like Ryan Murray + 2nd (CLB never would), Iginla + Jankowski, straight up for Schultz or Klefbom ++, straight up for Larsson, with something for OEL or straight across for Yandle, with something for Hedman...

Only team I see considering it is Edmonton, maybe Calgary if we add a bit more or swap Jankowski for Reinhart... and as you can see I'm being more moderate than many Sens fans. I don't think he gets dealt, I think Anderson is more likely at the end of the season; especially if we miss the playoffs.

wubwubwubwub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 01:33 PM
sens613

He will not get moved , I see us bringing him a long slowly like boston did with rask, watch his starts slowly increase over the years till anderson is no longer needed and is let go as a ufa or traded away , but I believe this is 3-4 years away. Bishop on the other hand is more then expendable , and can be had for somewhere around a 2nd or 3rd or solid defensive prospect imo.

sens613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 02:53 PM
Emerica
Thank You Alfie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony d View Post
Ya ok.

Emerica is offline   Reply With Quote