HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Ryan O'Reilly Headed to Offer Sheet or Trade?

Closed Thread

Old
02-12-2013, 11:55 PM
12345*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisp Breakout View Post
You're on the perfect topic, but the wrong side of it. They are both great two way players. Say you give ROR 5x5 right now. He's got a 55 point season under his belt. Lando already has a 50+ point season. Say he scores 30 goals next season. What is he worth? He's basically a more offensive ROR. Do you have to offer him 6.5 x 5? Seems like a disaster waiting to happen.
You have too many good players - give some to Toronto please. Spread the wealth, and give us your scouting staff.

Old
02-12-2013, 11:56 PM
Face Of Bear

Colorado logic: Wont pay him like a star, but wont trade him without getting a return worthy of a star

Old
02-12-2013, 11:57 PM
Joey McMoss
5-14-6-1

vCash: 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blayzer View Post
To Toronto: Ryan O'Reilly,
To Colorado: Carl Gunnarsson, Joe Colborne
What a lowball offer.

Old
02-12-2013, 11:57 PM
Nihiliste

Quote:
Originally Posted by Face Of Bear View Post
Colorado logic: Wont pay him like a star, but wont trade him without getting a return worthy of a star
It's pretty damn stupid. If we had competent management we would just keep him.

Old
02-12-2013, 11:58 PM
ChoseLa

I'm pretty sure it's gonna be a downer for Avs fans when they see the return.

Old
Freudian
Slightly overpaid

vCash: 50
Quote:
I think offering him $7M over two years is star money, considering it's what Duchene makes and much more than Subban, del Zotto and Kulikov makes.

I think the problem is that O'Reilly wants a big long term contract and Avs seem to prefer bridge deals for RFAs.

Old
JoemAvs

Quote:
Well obviously you know nothing about the Avs under Pierre Lacroix. They are playing this hardball game with almost everyone.

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie

Many teams interested, especially in East, but acquisition price from COL will be STEEP. Then there is matter of new contract for O'Reilly.

https://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie

This kind of supports the notion that Avs have a high asking price and that 90 % of the offers in here (hopefully) won'T cut it.
Have not often seen Bob capitalize something

Old
avsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flowzie View Post
Roster player that they want back.. (Mac might not resign but Bozak I'm sure would, played college hockey in Colorado I believe.)

Good prospect..

seems like its exactly what they want.

Just because they are 'lesser' prospects does not make them have no valuable. Percy and Finn both project to be top 4 NHL dmen. Biggs is more likely a bottom six powerforward, and Colborne still has a bit of time before hes a bust.
Yeah I mean we could take the offer that benefits our organization more, but I'd much rather just help the leafs because I love their fans so much

Old
02-13-2013, 12:00 AM
RainingRats

Versteeg and Howden for O'Reilly

Old
02-13-2013, 12:02 AM
Freudian
Slightly overpaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingRats View Post
Versteeg and Howden for O'Reilly
I think Bjugstad + Goc would be closer to what Avs would want.

Old
02-13-2013, 12:02 AM
Face Of Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoemAvs View Post
Well obviously you know nothing about the Avs under Pierre Lacroix. They are playing this hardball game with almost everyone.

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie

Many teams interested, especially in East, but acquisition price from COL will be STEEP. Then there is matter of new contract for O'Reilly.

https://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie

This kind of supports the notion that Avs have a high asking price and that 90 % of the offers in here (hopefully) won'T cut it.
Have not often seen Bob capitalize something
Doesnt change the fact that what I said is right

Old
02-13-2013, 12:04 AM
NothingLikeAnEJ
Jimmies: Rustled

If Avs don't get an offer they want, they'll just hold on to him at least until the draft. Avs have his rights for 6 more years lol, they hold all the cards here. This is a lost season for the Avs with the shortened games and landslide of injuries, so they don't really care if O'Reilly plays this year or not.

Either they fix things in the summer or trade him at the draft with some sort of package for another top 10 pick to go along with theirs (most likely).

Old
02-13-2013, 12:05 AM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisp Breakout View Post
You're on the perfect topic, but the wrong side of it. They are both great two way players. Say you give ROR 5x5 right now. He's got a 55 point season under his belt. Lando already has a 50+ point season. Say he scores 30 goals next season. What is he worth? He's basically a more offensive ROR. Do you have to offer him 6.5 x 5? Seems like a disaster waiting to happen.
That's the nature of a second contract for "budding star players". Look at what guys like Tyler Seguin is making on his extension.

Old
02-13-2013, 12:08 AM
XanderCell

Let me Try,

To Colorado
Nikolai Kulemin
Tyler Biggs
2nd round pick

To Toronto
Ryan O'Reilly
3rd round pick

Old
02-13-2013, 12:08 AM
Avs44

vCash: 380
Quote:
Doesnt change the fact that what I said is right
Considering what other RFAs recieved, I think the Avs offer was fair. Look at what Subban took? Future #1 D IMO. He is just as good as ROR now. Look what MDZ took? Other top RFAs took bridge deals. Obviously O'Reilly felt a lot differently about it that they did. I really want us to keep O'Reilly, but I can also see the problems it would create if we cave to his demands. What does that say for guys like Johnson, Duchene, and Landeskog when their contracts come up? The Avs have to look at the future when negotiating with O'Reilly.

Old
02-13-2013, 12:09 AM
12345*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
That's the nature of a second contract for "budding star players". Look at what guys like Tyler Seguin is making on his extension.
Boston can pay what he wants because they don't have 3 other young stars right behind him looking for a similar contract.

Edmonton made a mistake signing Hall to 6 million per year, and now have a truck load of talent performing well and are going to be looking at that contract as a bench mark.

Colorado has the same issue. Skog and Duchene are coming up, both of which are likely going to perform better than ROR from an offensive standpoint. If you set that benchmark high, the cap will be decimated.

Old
02-13-2013, 12:10 AM
12345*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
I think offering him $7M over two years is star money, considering it's what Duchene makes and much more than Subban, del Zotto and Kulikov makes.

I think the problem is that O'Reilly wants a big long term contract and Avs seem to prefer bridge deals for RFAs.
7 mil over 2 years is not star money. Doughty, Seguin and Hall have star money.

Old
02-13-2013, 12:11 AM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12345 View Post
Boston can pay what he wants because they don't have 3 other young stars right behind him looking for a similar contract.

Edmonton made a mistake signing Hall to 6 million per year, and now have a truck load of talent performing well and are going to be looking at that contract as a bench mark.

Colorado has the same issue. Skog and Duchene are coming up, both of which are likely going to perform better than ROR from an offensive standpoint. If you set that benchmark high, the cap will be decimated.
Boston just pays its star players star contracts. If Duchene and Landeskog play to a level deserving of a big raise, they should just get it. That seems to be the model all teams have followed anyway.

Old
Freudian
Slightly overpaid

Quote:
O'Reilly is a bit different than Seguin. Seguins offensive upside is more or less guaranteed.

O'Reilly might in a worst case scenario never surpass the 55 points he had as a 21 year old. He might even turn out to be a 45 point guy. Or he might take off and turn into a 70 point guy.

His defense and faceoff skill is always going to be there of course, but it's not a player that's easy to give a long term deal to.

Old
Avs44

vCash: 380
Quote:
I think the Avs were looking to sign O'Reilly to a bridge contract(2 years or so) similiar to Duchene where he proves that he can continue playing at a high level. THEN they give him a longer deal with more money. O'Reilly it seems was looking for a long term deal+money similar to Benn/Seguin right away. I think the problem is the Avs didn't view O'Reilly in the elite/face of franchise category like Benn/Seguin. O'Reilly it seems did. I'm guessing the negotiations might have soured at that point as well.

Old
02-13-2013, 12:14 AM
12345*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs44 View Post
Considering what other RFAs recieved, I think the Avs offer was fair. Look at what Subban took? Future #1 D IMO. He is just as good as ROR now. Look what MDZ took? Other top RFAs took bridge deals. Obviously O'Reilly felt a lot differently about it that they did. I really want us to keep O'Reilly, but I can also see the problems it would create if we cave to his demands. What does that say for guys like Johnson, Duchene, and Landeskog when their contracts come up? The Avs have to look at the future when negotiating with O'Reilly.
The question is, will ROR get to prove his worth as a top 6 center or whether he'll be forced to play 3rd line minutes with 3rd line talent.

MDZ and Subban both have that chance to play in their peak potential roles and prove themselves as competent. From talking to Colorado fans, it seems there are rumours that he will be put back in a 3rd line role - and that will not provide the opportunity to prove himself as an offensive talent and worthy of a top 6 salary. Instead, he will go back to producing 30 points and being effective defensively. Unfortunately, that role will cost him millions.

Old
02-13-2013, 12:16 AM
RainingRats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
I think Bjugstad + Goc would be closer to what Avs would want.
We're not trading Bjugstad

Old
12345*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs44 View Post
I think the Avs were looking to sign O'Reilly to a bridge contract(2 years or so) similiar to Duchene where he proves that he can continue playing at a high level. THEN they give him a longer deal with more money. O'Reilly it seems was looking for a long term deal+money similar to Benn/Seguin right away. I think the problem is the Avs didn't view O'Reilly in the elite/face of franchise category like Benn/Seguin. O'Reilly it seems did. I'm guessing the negotiations might have soured at that point as well.
I think O'Reilly is worried (and legitimately so), that if he signs a bridge, he'll be put back in a 3rd line shutdown role and thus, won't be given the opportunity to prove himself. While I'm sure he is concerned that he won't produce 55 points like he did prior, I think it probably scares him more that he gets forced to play a 3rd line role and that his fortune/destiny will be decided for him instead of put in his hands.

Old
Freudian
Slightly overpaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12345 View Post
The question is, will ROR get to prove his worth as a top 6 center or whether he'll be forced to play 3rd line minutes with 3rd line talent.

MDZ and Subban both have that chance to play in their peak potential roles and prove themselves as competent. From talking to Colorado fans, it seems there are rumours that he will be put back in a 3rd line role - and that will not provide the opportunity to prove himself as an offensive talent and worthy of a top 6 salary. Instead, he will go back to producing 30 points and being effective defensively. Unfortunately, that role will cost him millions.
Why would Avs do that? There is zero logic to that argument. They're trying to win games and he is one of their better players. Of course he will get the chance to produce.

Old
ComixZone

To COL: Giordano, Backlund
To CGY: ROR

Closed Thread