HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Claude Giroux discussion

Old
02-07-2013, 09:16 AM
RJ8812
Hellooooo ladiiiies

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky_83 View Post
I don't think you watch the Blues.
only when I'm trying to fall asleep

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 09:23 AM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

Send a message via AIM to Juicy Couturier*
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianguy77 View Post
I'll admit, he's had 2 good years in the league. But he's not that young anymore, and doesn't seem to be getting any better. He's not a ppg player for his career, has decent talent around him, and yet he's not producing like he should be. Is he a "flash in the pan sort of star"? After 10 games, (pretty much 20% of the season, he has 6 points) and looks like he's "leading" his team to a lottery pick. Maybe he's just not that good.
Giroux had surgery on both of his wrists in the offseason. He also left Germany because of an injury after 9 games and didn't play again until the start of the NHL season.

He's a pass first guy playing on a line with McGinn who is a rookie that has 18 points in 63 AHL games last year. He lost Jagr in the offseason and lost Hartnell who was his only sniper to injury. His supporting cast is not as good as you make it out to be and he's had rotating linemates almost daily.

Regardless of who he plays with, I fully expect him to finish the season with 45-50 points.

Prior to this season he had 219 points in 203 games(regular season and playoffs). Should we really write him off 10 games into this season? If he has a goal and 2 assists each of the next two games which would leave him at 12 points in 12 games will you start a new thread about Giroux's dominance?

Juicy Couturier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 09:27 AM
Mustang2750

Nope that would be Crosby Malkin and Brad Richards

Mustang2750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 09:29 AM
Fire Julien

Rick Nash... the only 30 goal guy considered a franchise player.

Fire Julien is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 09:29 AM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

vCash: 50
Less than a month intO the season and already this thread. Yep, I called it.

MetalheadPenguinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 09:30 AM
syc

He was on this forum up until this year. Funny seeing this place jump off his wagon though.

syc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 09:31 AM
Pi

Giroux is hardly overrated. He'll be back to a PPG and this thread will be bumped countless times...

Pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 09:34 AM
Beardy*

How can you have a thread headliner about overrated players and not include Alex Ovechkin? Note how his stats have plummeted as Semin's role on Washington was diminishing, and how they are crap now that he's not on the team anymore.

Giroux... Maybe. But he is still a Top 10 player in the league IMHO. I'd put Crosby and Malkin in the discussion, as I don't think either would be as well respected if they weren't always on a team with at least 1 other supposed elite forward.

Beardy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 09:38 AM
Tripod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caballo Blanco View Post
Rick Nash... the only 30 goal guy considered a franchise player.
Phil Kessel says hi!

Tripod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 09:48 AM
Red08

Maybe not most overrated, but I do think he's overrated. I don't see him as a player that can continue putting up the same amount of points that he did last year. I'll say he never puts up a PPG in a season again. I think he has the drive to do it, but not the raw talent a la Sidney Crosby.

Red08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 09:50 AM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red08 View Post
Maybe not most overrated, but I do think he's overrated. I don't see him as a player that can continue putting up the same amount of points that he did last year. I'll say he never puts up a PPG in a season again. I think he has the drive to do it, but not the raw talent a la Sidney Crosby.
Why? Do you watch him play?

02-07-2013, 09:50 AM
orange is better
than other colors...

It's threads like these that make me struggle to take any opinions on this message board seriously.

orange is better is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 09:54 AM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
Maybe not most overrated, but I do think he's overrated. I don't see him as a player that can continue putting up the same amount of points that he did last year. I'll say he never puts up a PPG in a season again. I think he has the drive to do it, but not the raw talent a la SidneyCrosby.
Yeah, ok guy.

You clearly know what you're talking about. Let me take your opinion seriously.

orange is better is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 10:02 AM
mel

I don't think he's in the top 3 but I would not call him overrated. He has shown that he can dominate games and he had a monster playoff series against the Penguins which shows that he is able to go toe to toe against the best players. To me, I feel like this is a short season and maybe he just needs to get into the groove of things.
I haven't watched many Flyers games this season so perhaps Flyers fan can give some input into how he has looked so far?

mel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 10:05 AM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel View Post
I don't think he's in the top 3 but I would not call him overrated. He has shown that he can dominate games and he had a monster playoff series against the Penguins which shows that he is able to go toe to toe against the best players. To me, I feel like this is a short season and maybe he just needs to get into the groove of things.
I haven't watched many Flyers games this season so perhaps Flyers fan can give some input into how he has looked so far?
He has looked rusty for a good part of the season, but he has also looked better as of late. He had a great game against Tampa on Tuesday, even though he didn't show up on the stat-sheet. He threaded some great passes that should have been converted to goals if Danny didn't put them right into Lindback. He seems to be getting his legs back.

By the way, Tom Sestito has two goals this year. He has as many goals as Bobby Ryan and more than Phil Kessel. He is now a sniper.

JDinkalage Morgoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 10:09 AM
mel

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDinklage Morgoone View Post
He has looked rusty for a good part of the season, but he has also looked better as of late. He had a great game against Tampa on Tuesday, even though he didn't show up on the stat-sheet. He threaded some great passes that should have been converted to goals if Danny didn't put them right into Lindback. He seems to be getting his legs back.

By the way, Tom Sestito has two goals this year. He has as many goals as Bobby Ryan and more than Phil Kessel. He is now a sniper.
Thanks for the response. Sounds like a player that just needed to get some games in and shake off the rust. I recall him being hurt in Europe and as mentioned he has to get used to new linemates since Jagr is gone and Hartnell is hurt. I'm glad to hear that he is playing better because that will make the Flyers vs Penguins games even more exciting to watch.

mel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 10:12 AM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

Quote:
He has 219 points in his last 203 games from ages 22-24. He was playing 16 minutes a game at 3rd line center behind Richards and Carter in '09-'10. The playoffs that year and the 2 years since, he has played 19-20 minutes a game and has been a PPG player in the 203 games since.

Last edited by Juicy Couturier*: 02-07-2013 at 10:18 AM.
Old
02-07-2013, 10:13 AM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel View Post
Thanks for the response. Sounds like a player that just needed to get some games in and shake off the rust. I recall him being hurt in Europe and as mentioned he has to get used to new linemates since Jagr is gone and Hartnell is hurt. I'm glad to hear that he is playing better because that will make the Flyers vs Penguins games even more exciting to watch.
The whole team has looked rusty too for whatever reason. Sloppy passing, can't handle pucks, getting beaten to pucks, tons of awful defensive lapses leading to breakaways and wide open guys in front of the net, it's really frustrating. But them locking it up against Tampa, holding them to 1 goal, is very promising.

JDinkalage Morgoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 10:14 AM
Stammertime91
Keep on keepin' on!

I dont think he's a player right now in his career that would make the players around him better. In all honesty. Not harping on Flyers fans or anything, I just dont think he is the kind of player Crosby is that could carry decent wingers and make them 20goal/50 pt guys.

He has Briere and thats basically it right now, and it depends on who his linemates are for his success. There's no doubt he's a top 5 forward but it depends a lot on his linemates. If its Jagr, Hartnell, Briere, Simmonds, Voracek, etc, then he'll get his points but right now, I dont see him as a player that could literally dominate a line and make the players around him, better.

As for Hartnell, he kind of did that but Hartnell has a good shot and good positioning, something that isnt noticed when he's dicking around, when he plays, he's a very good hockey player, I dont like him very much but his positioning, 5-10ft away from Giroux isnt a position most people would cover, its a short space and he's able to get off these weird one timers. Great duo, but I dont think one can function without the other.

Stammertime91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 10:26 AM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stammertime91 View Post
I dont think he's a player right now in his career that would make the players around him better. In all honesty. Not harping on Flyers fans or anything, I just dont think he is the kind of player Crosby is that could carry decent wingers and make them 20goal/50 pt guys.

He has Briere and thats basically it right now, and it depends on who his linemates are for his success. There's no doubt he's a top 5 forward but it depends a lot on his linemates. If its Jagr, Hartnell, Briere, Simmonds, Voracek, etc, then he'll get his points but right now, I dont see him as a player that could literally dominate a line and make the players around him, better.

As for Hartnell, he kind of did that but Hartnell has a good shot and good positioning, something that isnt noticed when he's dicking around, when he plays, he's a very good hockey player, I dont like him very much but his positioning, 5-10ft away from Giroux isnt a position most people would cover, its a short space and he's able to get off these weird one timers. Great duo, but I dont think one can function without the other.
Giroux definitely makes the players around him better. He does need those players to finish though since he's a pass first player. He puts guys in a position to score, it's up to them whether they finish or not. Hartnell would never sniff 40 goals without G but he has a lethal shot so when someone is feeding him like crazy he gets the chance to use it. No, he isnt Crosby who can take 2 random average players and make them 50 point players, but really nobody else is which is why he's a genrational talent.

Old
02-07-2013, 10:37 AM
Stammertime91
Keep on keepin' on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoatesysFlask View Post
Giroux definitely makes the players around him better. He does need those players to finish though since he's a pass first player. He puts guys in a position to score, it's up to them whether they finish or not. Hartnell would never sniff 40 goals without G but he has a lethal shot so when someone is feeding him like crazy he gets the chance to use it. No, he isnt Crosby who can take 2 random average players and make them 50 point players, but really nobody else is which is why he's a genrational talent.
Thats what I mean. But Hartnell does things on his own too, when he gets in that mode of putting himself in position for a shot, Giroux just taps it to him and he fires off those cross body ones that he goes on one knee for. Great chemistry and a great duo.

Thing that I was talking about was, if he had McGinn and Briere on a line, he should be able to make that line click, even if McGinn is a couple steps behind. Briere is playing great, just nothing is going in for him, and he's having some bad bounces too.

I would ignore the OP. just takes time, he'll click, especially when his sidekick comes back, right now he's playing with an AHLer, after losing Jagr and Hartnell and Voracek looks lost out there half the time.

Doesnt help their PP isnt what it should be.

Stammertime91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 10:38 AM
Trafalgar Law
Waive Dallas Eakins

He's not even the most overrated on his own team (Couturier), even if he doesn't repeat last years performance, I have no doubt he'll be a consistent 70+ point scorer.

Trafalgar Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 10:43 AM
LPH
[hello] :)

vCash: 50
Toews is easily the most overrated player in the league

LPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 10:45 AM
Oscar Acosta
Bat Country

Nash, Toews and Seguin all have something to say about that.

Oscar Acosta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 10:51 AM
Clock

Not even close.

Clock is offline   Reply With Quote