HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2/7/13 7PM Draft Lottery Riggers vs. Draft Lottery Losers

Old
02-08-2013, 09:22 AM
Langway
Intangibles

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post
I disagree. Their puck possession has been good but they really are not burying the chances they get.
Their puck possession, and whatever fancystats that may get cited, appears much better than it actually is. When the opposition is sleepwalking through games they look adequate enough but there's hardly any stops and starts to this team. They're the laziest team in the league by far. Collectively they've become a group of gliders...soft and largely useless. Little wonder that when the pace is picked up by the opposition they utterly crumble because that's all they've got to offer. Both of their wins were against struggling teams in a funk (and missing some key players). Even the NJD OTL began with the Devils letting the Caps get back into it. They've folded against anything resembling stiff opposition.

If I put anything on Oates it's that he has not upped their apparent conditioning level whatsoever from Game 1 until now. The penalties have gone down but if their endurance doesn't improve by the end of the month then they're in for a historically brutal season.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 09:27 AM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Building off of what Langway said, look at the only games we've even been in. Vanek is the only player on Buffalo who isn't struggling, and he was missing for our game against them. New Jersey gave the Capitals powerplay after powerplay after powerplay until the Caps tied it up and sent it to OT (and it took an extended 5-on-3 to do it). Outside of Bryzgalov and Simmonds, Philadelphia is struggling and Erskine sent Simmonds to the locker room in the 1st period.

The Caps got wrecked Pittsburgh twice, folded in the third against Tampa, and got dominated by Montreal. The only halfway decent team we stood up against was Ottawa.

Mystlyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 09:39 AM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie G View Post
Do you actually believe this?
Do you think he will admit fault?

Never

Every year he speaks of minor tweaks etc

If he never addresses major issues why should we assume he sees his own flaws

Few do....

He chooses rookie coaches. That is his thing. I assure you his not see that as a fault

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 09:53 AM
tycoonheart

Dan Steinberg
Ted Leonsis is on WMAL. Asked 3 questions about Redskins nickname before being asked about the Caps.

Reporters on this town suck so much ass. Especially as it relates to the Caps. The team is a disaster and Ted gets those questions. *** idiots.

At the same time I hope Ted realizes how close to irrelevancy the team is in this town right now.

tycoonheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 09:56 AM
Stewie G

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Do you think he will admit fault?

Never

Every year he speaks of minor tweaks etc

If he never addresses major issues why should we assume he sees his own flaws

Few do....

He chooses rookie coaches. That is his thing. I assure you his not see that as a fault
Is everyone here either a lawyer or studying to be one? My post only had one line. It was a fairly simple yes/no question. Is it too much to expect an answer?

No. I don't expect him to admit fault. I don't expect that from any GM and I don't know if we ever have.

I ate leftovers last night. I didn't put anything new on it. Just warmed them up and ate them. Did I think it was perfect? No. Did me not doing anything about it mean I thought it was perfect? No.

Inaction doesn't have to equal satisfaction.

Stewie G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 10:03 AM
Ovechkins Wodka

Well it looks like with instant results losing meaning Oates holding his cards and is still teaching Ovechkin RW. Im fine with using the rest of the season teaching the core how to learn his system and filling the roster with replacement players who fit the Oates system

Ovechkins Wodka is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 10:11 AM
tmljeh19

Quote:
Do you actually believe this?
What proves otherwise? Adding Wolski and Fehr? This team needed a shake up for 2 probably 3 years now. We are STILL waiting for that move. Putrid goaltending, lacking D and low scoring. Yet no moves are made.

tmljeh19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 10:12 AM
msrulo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
Their puck possession, and whatever fancystats that may get cited, appears much better than it actually is. When the opposition is sleepwalking through games they look adequate enough but there's hardly any stops and starts to this team. They're the laziest team in the league by far. Collectively they've become a group of gliders...soft and largely useless. Little wonder that when the pace is picked up by the opposition they utterly crumble because that's all they've got to offer. Both of their wins were against struggling teams in a funk (and missing some key players). Even the NJD OTL began with the Devils letting the Caps get back into it. They've folded against anything resembling stiff opposition.

If I put anything on Oates it's that he has not upped their apparent conditioning level whatsoever from Game 1 until now. The penalties have gone down but if their endurance doesn't improve by the end of the month then they're in for a historically brutal season.
You have to give Oates credit. I believe he's a good coach and it's only the team in front of him. Ted needs to fire McPhee.

msrulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 10:16 AM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer77 View Post
Didn't like pulling Neuvirth.
Shocking.

Quote:
You're right my bad. Keep him in if at all possible because the Caps were streaking. He's been in for losses and wins against crappy teams. Bailed out of Pit games. LOL
You seem really passionate about getting Poti back in the lineup.

Liberati0n* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 10:25 AM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

Quote:

People are probably going to ignore the bolded part. Yeah, it's Oates' responsibility to raise their conditioning level, but conditioning has been a problem with this team for years. It's part of the larger culture problem and reflects the players' attitude problems in general. He needs to fix it, but the point is that criticizing his system or his coaching when the errors stem from the players' mental weakness and lack of conditioning doesn't make much sense.

Old
02-08-2013, 10:25 AM
swimmer77
What's an ROW?

Yep, agree with the puck possession. It's misleading. PP improving is a little misleading. Ovi scoring goals is a little misleading. Because part of it is happening after the game is over with at least a full period to play. Window dressing.

How about scoring some goals before you have to play comeback, desperate (if the Caps know that word) hockey. It's snowballing. PK stinks. D stinks especially the right side last night. PP's gotten deceivingly better. And it's all coming crashing down on the two young goaltenders.

The only positive last night was scoring first and playing a great first period. Maybe they could "pretend" every period is the first period.

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 10:26 AM
swimmer77
What's an ROW?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberati0n View Post
Shocking.

You seem really passionate about getting Poti back in the lineup.
?????????????????????????

Old
02-08-2013, 10:44 AM
Langway
Intangibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberati0n View Post
People are probably going to ignore the bolded part. Yeah, it's Oates' responsibility to raise their conditioning level, but conditioning has been a problem with this team for years. It's part of the larger culture problem and reflects the players' attitude problems in general. He needs to fix it, but the point is that criticizing his system or his coaching when the errors stem from the players' mental weakness and lack of conditioning doesn't make much sense.
Sure it does. He's not just a systems theorist, he's also responsible for the process and the end-result. Lack of conditioning isn't so bad when you're sitting back and playing conservative but if you truly want to play an up-tempo style then it's absolutely essential. It must be preached from Day 1 in the way they practice or else the change being implemented is worthless. It's up-tempo in name only.

It's somewhat of a rotten position to be in as a first-time coach to step into such a culture but so far it's proving out that he doesn't have it in him to change it. He'll have more off days this month to focus more on the process but with morale low there doesn't seem to be a clear vision of how to improve or what areas in particular they can control to start making progress. It's a bad situation to be sure but he can't get a pass for allowing such poor habits to become the norm. They've been bad in the past but never this bad.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 11:03 AM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

Quote:
Is everyone here either a lawyer or studying to be one? My post only had one line. It was a fairly simple yes/no question. Is it too much to expect an answer?

No. I don't expect him to admit fault. I don't expect that from any GM and I don't know if we ever have.

I ate leftovers last night. I didn't put anything new on it. Just warmed them up and ate them. Did I think it was perfect? No. Did me not doing anything about it mean I thought it was perfect? No.

Inaction doesn't have to equal satisfaction.
Internet lawyer!

He sees holes but does every year, even if they are minor

We have no choice but to judge him on his actions at this point after 15 years, not speculate whats inside his head.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 11:22 AM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

I would imagine that if the Caps were "streaking", they'd have more than one consecutive win.

ChibiPooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 11:45 AM
malyk

Quote:
SWhyno: Hard to explain why fragile RT @ChuckGormleyCSN: #CapitalsTalk Caps GM George McPhee on 2-8-1 team: "Are they fragile? Yeah, they are."
Quote:
SWhyno: #Caps coach Adam Oates on his biggest growing pain: "figuring out a way to get the guys motivated for today's practice."
Fragility and no motivation. A great combination to have.

malyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 11:57 AM
Halpysback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Tolliver View Post
Hunter started parking the bus long before Game 1 of the Bruins series. They weren't playing Cup level then either.
Pretty much every game under Hunter was an elimination game. Do you remember where we were in the standings and what state we were in when he got the job? Perhaps he genuinely couldn't figure out how to do more offense but he wasn't exactly in a position to do much more than park the bus.

Quote:
You can't just look at the defense and offense as completely separate units where adjustments to one unit won't affect the other. The defense was just good enough to win half the games when working as a unit with the offense. That's not Cup level.
Who said I was? I'm not saying they could have merged that with the run and gun, but Sutter took an even more defensive system than we had and managed to expand it offensively. It's doable when done properly.

You really don't think it's possible for them to build on it and slightly open up offensively? Does playing that sort of defense completely preclude all attempts empty nets? Playing the same way when it's 1-0 as when it's 0-0, when they actually applied decent amounts of pressure? More dynamism on the PP? Perhaps picking better spots for dump and not retreat? Nashville, LA all use aggressive man to man and still manage to pull off fairly successful offense. Someone should tell them it's impossible.

And, again, our personnel sucked. Anyone in our defense who was half-decent was pretty much infallible.

Quote:
If the system was only a few tweaks away from winning the Cup, then why didn't the assistants land NHL head coaching jobs including the one that Hunter left?
I don't know, appeals to authority always flummox the **** out of me, brah. Maybe because assistant coaching != head coaching? Were I a GM I'd have seeked out Jim Johnson as soon as he was available for an assistant coaching position. I wonder if anyone did so? Oh, right, the sharks did.

Thank god McPhee replaced him with Calle though.

Halpysback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 12:01 PM
Halpysback

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunksuperhero View Post
why does coaching always dominate the latter stages of a post-ass whipping GDT? i come in here the day after and continue to be amazed that we're discussing something that makes next to no difference at this point. replacing oates is way down the list of priorities. it starts with a new GM, and the next 5-6-7 tasks are all replacing X player and Y player, not the coach.
srry brah, didn't get the memo on post-ass whipping GDT talking etiquette. you should like start a sticky brah.

Halpysback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 12:14 PM
msrulo

McPhee addresses the media on monumental network

msrulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 12:40 PM
Stewie G

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Internet lawyer!

He sees holes but does every year, even if they are minor

We have no choice but to judge him on his actions at this point after 15 years, not speculate whats inside his head.
You still didn't answer. You made a declarative statement without the man himself saying it.

Again, inaction does not equal satisfaction. There are a myriad of reasons why he hasn't made the types of moves a lot of people have been clammoring for. I doubt extreme happiness with this current mess is one of them though.

Stewie G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 01:48 PM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

Quote:
Sure it does. He's not just a systems theorist, he's also responsible for the process and the end-result. Lack of conditioning isn't so bad when you're sitting back and playing conservative but if you truly want to play an up-tempo style then it's absolutely essential. It must be preached from Day 1 in the way they practice or else the change being implemented is worthless. It's up-tempo in name only.

It's somewhat of a rotten position to be in as a first-time coach to step into such a culture but so far it's proving out that he doesn't have it in him to change it. He'll have more off days this month to focus more on the process but with morale low there doesn't seem to be a clear vision of how to improve or what areas in particular they can control to start making progress. It's a bad situation to be sure but he can't get a pass for allowing such poor habits to become the norm. They've been bad in the past but never this bad.
I should have said more clearly: How much conditioning improvement can be done in a couple of weeks? I agree that he hasn't done enough, but what I object to is the idea that he should be written off on this basis (not that you're doing so). He could be handling the situation better, but it's an unavoidable fact that a first-time head coach will have to learn a little bit on the job. He's not just a theorist, but that's the most important part; his approach to conditioning can easily be adjusted.

Old
02-08-2013, 02:32 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post

Why? He let in 2 brutal goals on pretty much 2 of the only shots Pitt had in the first half of that game. After that 2nd one I was certain heads were hanging low and Oates tried to get them going but it didn't work. It was the right move however.
Tinner dude...if you honestly think that Malkin goal was brutal, then you aren't the hockey guy you would have us all believe. Did Neuvy play his position in net poorly? Yes. Did Malkin place it in a spot where correct positioning wouldn't have mattered? YES. The 2nd goal was brutal.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 04:30 PM
jsykes

I dont think either of those goals were brutal.

On the Malkin goal, Neuvy came across expecting a one timer, Malkin didnt do that. He held the puck and as Neuvy was getting back up and into position is when Malkin sniped it. He looked more out of position than he actually was because Malkin didnt do what was expected and what most players would have done 9 times out of 10, one time it.

On the second goal, I wouldnt call it brutal, should have been stopped, but not brutal and not all his fault. He was moving across the crease thinking there was going to be a pass, where he misplayed is trying to anticipate that pass and not reacting to it. As a result, he had his legs open and the Pen actually shot it 5 hole instead of passing. (I actually think it was more of a bad pass than a shot or he wouldnt have been putting it where it was). So Neuvy guessed wrong.

I guess he guessed wrong in both examples, but was playing the odds.

The bottom line on both though was that the defense was awful. Malkin should have been much more pressured where he likely would have one timed it or didnt have the time to snipe him, and on the second goal it was an odd man rush with a guy driving to the net with no D on him and Neuvy being left out to pick up the slack.

Neither goal was anywhere close to being as brutal as the two under the arm that Holtby let in last Pens game where he had plenty of time, was completely in position and set up and just let it get through him.

What I dont understand is how two swiss cheese goals allowed him to stay in the game while two questionable goals by Neuvy gets him pulled. I'm not sure the players even understood that and it seemed to almost be the cause of the deflation.

jsykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 04:34 PM
swimmer77
What's an ROW?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCupFantasy View Post
Tinner dude...if you honestly think that Malkin goal was brutal, then you aren't the hockey guy you would have us all believe. Did Neuvy play his position in net poorly? Yes. Did Malkin place it in a spot where correct positioning wouldn't have mattered? YES. The 2nd goal was brutal.
Pretty much how I saw it. Malkin had all the time in the world which begs the question. Anybody notice Carlson?

Anyway, instead of pulling Neuvirth I would have rather Oates call time out and give the whole team a brow beating. Could not have ended any worse. But I think Oates has said that's not his gig to yell.

Old
02-08-2013, 05:31 PM
PuckBuddy
Green for Selke

Quote:
SWhyno: #Caps coach Adam Oates on his biggest growing pain: "figuring out a way to get the guys motivated for today's practice."
Uh. If you are paid in between 5 and 100 thousand United States dollars to go to a hockey practice in a world where people eat other people's garbage and you're mopey about it, you need to get your ****ing head checked.

PuckBuddy is offline   Reply With Quote