Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Notices

Is it Weird Going to a Jets Game alone?

Old
02-06-2013, 12:40 AM
canadianhobo

vCash: 500
Is it Weird Going to a Jets Game alone?

Has anyone ever went to a game alone? What was your experience? Is it weird? I purchased 1 ticket to see the game on Thursday. Is it weird?

canadianhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 01:19 AM
bazaaa*

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianhobo View Post
Has anyone ever went to a game alone? What was your experience? Is it weird? I purchased 1 ticket to see the game on Thursday. Is it weird?
No, who cares. Half the time people are walking around going to the bathroom or getting a drink on their own.
Who cares what anyone thinks anyways.

bazaaa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 01:24 AM
sully1410

No, but I do think it is weird to go to brunch on your own or to a concert on your own. I have always felt weird about going to eat at a restaurant on my own as well.

sully1410 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 01:34 AM
Inflict
Viking

No, not at all. I was in a group that were going to purchase three season tickets but they all backed out at the last second. I decided to get a single season ticket anyways because I would have probably kicked myself otherwise. Turns out, it was the right move! No need to fear the people beside you because they are probably huge fans just like everyone else in the building.

If this is your first game, trust me, it is going to be one hell of an experience. I certainly wont ever forget the feeling of walking in the arena for the first time, packed with 15 thousand loud and crazy fans. It gave me goosebumps!

Edit: As an experience, going with friends is always going to be better but don't let that prevent you from having fun.

Last edited by Inflict: 02-06-2013 at 01:39 AM.
Inflict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 01:35 AM
World Ultimate

vCash: 1975
I personally missed out on getting a pair of seasons and was offered in on getting a single tick for as many games as I want at season ticket price. I personally like it way better when I go with other friends going and just sit by myself during the game but meet them at intermission. Although a few times ive had to go on my own without friends and I still enjoy the experience. A jet game is a jet game (awesome going either way). Just make friends with the people beside you and youll be good!

World Ultimate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 01:47 AM
gholas

LOL, got a Moose ticket from work one time, they were given to anyone just so our company showed support for the team by having people in them. I have never seen a hockey game yet in the MTS centre, so I grabbed one and wasn't sure if I was gonna know my co-workers that would be there as well. Anyway no one showed and this was my 1st AHL game and I thought it was really bad so I left after the 1st period.(maybe just a bad game)

gholas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 01:53 AM
tntkid

Everyone is friendly at the games that I attended by myself in both the upper & lower deck.

It's never awkward if you are friendly & a Jets fan.

Wearing another teams jersey however will make it hard to make new friends.

tntkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 02:00 AM
hurricanedave

If you're worried about what other people think, then don't worry at all. Most people won't even realise you're alone at the game. If you want to enjoy a live game, then don't worry you will, have fun.

hurricanedave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 02:04 AM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tntkid View Post
Everyone is friendly at the games that I attended by myself in both the upper & lower deck.

It's never awkward if you are friendly & a Jets fan.

Wearing another teams jersey however will make it hard to make new friends.
I disagree. When I was at the Jets game last year when the Kings were in town and I wore my Kings jersey (with a Jets toque and scarf though ) I made more friends than ever, so long as you are fun and jovial about it and have no problem taking it. I find girls in particular like to pick on the outsider wearing the opposing jersey

I was basically alone since my buddy was too embarrassed and wanted nothing to do with me

(Alcohol may have played a small part in it)

Holden Caulfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 07:03 AM
Hank Chinaski
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 264
Not weird in the slightest.

Hank Chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 07:39 AM
Only Jokinen

vCash: 400
glad to hear everyone saying it's alright haha I've been told by my girlfriend and friends that I'm a loser for getting a ticket to a game in march for just myself.

Only Jokinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 08:15 AM
broinwhyteridge
bro license revoked!

I'd actually prefer to go alone but I have a 2nd ticket as well. Back in the 1.0 days I went to all my games alone... was new to Winnipeg and quite enjoyed the solitude for a few years.

broinwhyteridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 08:20 AM
Wonko the Sane
It's you not me.

vCash: 1000
The guy right behind me has a single ST, shows up to every game and yells at the refs most of the game from the 300's. Awesome.

Wonko the Sane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 08:38 AM
SCP Guy

I was alone at a game when a buddy of mine sold his tickets to some of his friends I did not know....so I put one of my ear buds in and tuned to the FM play by play of tsn 1290 they have broadcasting in the arena and enjoyed the game very much....was kind of fun listening to the play by play instead of chatting with my buddies for a change

SCP Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 09:05 AM
Ziggy66

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianhobo View Post
Not at all! You have to do what you have to do to get to a live game this shortened season! Hell I would go to every home game this season if I was off work and could get singles!!

Enjoy it and have fun!

Ziggy66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 09:26 AM
GrandChelems

vCash: 2209
Not weird at all. I have family and friends, but nonetheless I still did/do it often ... Jets 1.0 and 2.0. I like hockey and watching the Jets.

GrandChelems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 09:42 AM
ps241
The Danish Dash!

not weird at all. Last year my wife (we ) was pregnant and she bailed on me more than once hours before the game. With the blessing of my wife I quite enjoyed the experience of attending alone and felt less need to chat to the person I was with and it allowed me to be into the flow of the game. people sitting beside me were all still really social so it worked out well.

I have travelled allot for business over the years and have gotten use to attending a movie or sitting in a restaurant to eat by myself and honestly its always what you make it. A movie doesn't matter at all and with a restaurant I usually sit at the bar and take my iPad and watch sports on the TV and its all good. I have met some really interesting people over the years this way.

Company is nice to have but not mandatory in most situations....It has been my experience that often you can have a great time by stepping out of your comfort zone a bit.

ps241 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 11:13 AM
hypocrite*
hypocrite

If you have to come on a message board for approval of whether or not this is weird, that you are uncomfortable in your own skin to be sitting alone. That is only weird if you are above the age of 25.

hypocrite* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 11:36 AM
Repoman

I have a pair of seats in the 300's but wanted to see a game from the lower bowl so I went to the Islanders game by myself and had a blast. Two Islander fans were sitting beside me and we had a great time bugging each other.

Repoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 11:59 AM
KingSalamon

When you are at a Jets game.... you are never alone! There are 15004 fans having a blast!

KingSalamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 12:14 PM
canadianhobo

Thanks for the comments guys. See you there!

canadianhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 12:47 PM
cheswick
Non-registered User

vCash: 574
Yeah its weird cause it means you have no friends

I can understand someone who is not the most socially outgoing person to only want to go with friends. But if your personally comfortable with it, then don't worry about it. I'm sure there are lots of people at games who only got single tickets.

I went to the Ducks game last year with my gf but she was sitting 20 seats away so it was pretty much like being alone. the people around me were friendly even though I'm not much of a talker.

cheswick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 12:53 PM
bigplay41
BIG MEECH

Send a message via AIM to bigplay41
no not at all, i mean if your a hockey fan your going to the game to focus on the game right. I laugh at people who leave during periods and wait in line for beer and miss half the period. Do you realize how much money you just waisted by not even sitting in your seat? Like going to the gym i dont go to Jets games to socialize i go because i paid $300 bucks for two seats and i wanna watch the Jets play.

bigplay41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 12:56 PM
tbcwpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
I disagree. When I was at the Jets game last year when the Kings were in town and I wore my Kings jersey (with a Jets toque and scarf though ) I made more friends than ever, so long as you are fun and jovial about it and have no problem taking it. I find girls in particular like to pick on the outsider wearing the opposing jersey

I was basically alone since my buddy was too embarrassed and wanted nothing to do with me

(Alcohol may have played a small part in it)
Wore an opposing team's jersey last season (won't say which one due to fear of ridicule!), and found that people actually talk to you more. If you're not confrontational, wearing the other team's jersey actually got me to interact with fans around me more.

Although, since I am a STH (even though it's part of a group), I think some people recognized me.

I don't think going to a game alone is weird.

tbcwpg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 01:35 PM
gholas

Just show up with no shirt and a J painted on your chest, if anyone asks, say the other 3 guys got into a car crash and that they're okay watching from the hospital.

gholas is offline   Reply With Quote