Notices

Jets and the Trade Deadline

Old
02-06-2013, 08:32 AM
broinwhyteridge
bro license revoked!

vCash: 50
Jets and the Trade Deadline

We all know the team has a number of UFAs this year which will likely get moved around the deadline for draft picks or possibly players of the future.

Who gets moved and what does the team likely get back in return? The upcoming draft is apparently talented and deep for the first 2 rounds... Jets could have an opportunity here to significantly mould the future.

Antropov - 2nd or 3rd depending on who wants him?
Wellwood - 3rd?
Hainsey - 2nd and a 3rd?
Clitsome - bag of pucks?
??

broinwhyteridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 08:40 AM
GermanJetsFan
*PEW* *PEW* *PEW*

Quote:
Originally Posted by broinwhyteridge View Post
Antropov - 2nd or 3rd depending on who wants him?
Wellwood - 3rd?
Hainsey - 2nd and a 3rd?
Clitsome - bag of pucks?
??
Antropov - 2nd or 3rd (depends)
Wellwood - 2nd or 3rd (depends)
Hainsey - 2nd +3rd/4th
Clitsome - 4th

That's how I'd trade for them If I'd be interested as a buyer at the deadline.

GermanJetsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 08:42 AM
Romang67
BitterSwede

vCash: 545
Totally depends on the situation. I mean, if we're in the hunt for a playoff spot, I doubt any of those players get moved. Except for Clitsome.

Either way, you may be underestimating the return we could get for those players. Again, except for Clitsome. Remember, Oduya got us a 2nd and a 3rd. Arguably all three of Antropov, Painsey and Wellwood are worth more than Oduya. Of course, that deal was brutal for Chicago, but you never know.

Romang67 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 09:17 AM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

A handful of players could move for picks, but I hope we aren't in that position. I don't want to see us move Antropov, Ponikarovsky, Hainsey, etc. I want to be in a position to keep these guys because we're in the playoffs (or mix). And, possibly re-sign them in the offseason if we do make the playoffs.

I am really hoping we don't have to sell off these guys this year.

"The ‘now’ is very good in Chicago. The ‘now’ back in the days when they were drafting first, second and third? It wasn’t very good. But the core of fans that stuck with them, if you asked them now, I betcha they’d say it was worth it.” - Kevin Cheveldayoff
Guerzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 09:25 AM
SCP Guy

I hope this is the last year we are in a position to sell at the deadline.....I would like to be a holder or buyer in the future...but think we may be selling at the deadline and it seems to be a good draft to hold a bunch of picks to move around in the draft...get it done Chevy!

SCP Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 09:29 AM
Huffer

For me I think it comes down to 2 things, 1) Our shot at a playoff spot, and 2) The willingness of the player to resign / mgmt's desire to resign said player.

For #1, as long as we're in the hunt this year, I don't see Chevy moving Hainsey, Wellwood, Antro or Poni. If Redmond or Postma could play on the left, I could see them moving Clitsome, or just outright putting him back on waivers in order to send him to the Rock.

Once the team is looking to be out of the playoffs is where things get dicey. Not going to worry about Clitsome because no matter what he is not back next year. I think it's the GM's job to determine which guys they would like back, and to make an effort to resign those guys before the end of the season. If they can't get resigned during the season, I would want my GM to already know which guys that A) don't fit in next season, and B) will not resign during the offseason.

So for Hainsey, I think we do have a spot for him next year. The UFA market for D is terrible this off season, and losing Hainsey would leave a gigantic hole on the left side. IF Hainsey wanted to stay, I would want the team to try to get him resigned (at a good price obviously). If Hainey wants to test FA, AND we're out of it then I would look to deal him.

Antro and Poni are close to the same situation as Haisney to me. I think they both have a role on the team for another year if they both wanted to resign at good prices. The difference between them and Hainsey for me is that the forward UFA crop is a lot better than the one for D. IF Chevy felt like getting picks for Poni and Antro was a better move, AND felt he could replace them with upgrades via FA I think it would be a benefit to trade them. There is obviously a risk here that you can't replace them with better options if you let them walk. And just like Hainsey, if neither of them want to resign anyway, AND we're out of it, then they should be dealt IMO.

Wellwood is slightly different to me again in that even if he wanted to come back next year, I don't think there is a spot for him. So IMO, if we're in the playoff race I think he stays, if we're out of it, I would think he should be dealt for something.

Huffer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 09:43 AM
truck
HFB Partner

vCash: 495
I expect the Jets to be in the playoff mix, so I don't see them having a fire sale.

Of course, if they are out of it, giver. Antro, Poni and Hainsey should have some solid value.

Apart from that, I could see one of Hainsy or Stu being made expendable, but only if the Jets can teach one of their youngters to play in their off hand. Replacing Antro, or Poni from within would be a lot tougher.

truck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 09:52 AM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffer View Post
For me I think it comes down to 2 things, 1) Our shot at a playoff spot, and 2) The willingness of the player to resign / mgmt's desire to resign said player.

For #1, as long as we're in the hunt this year, I don't see Chevy moving Hainsey, Wellwood, Antro or Poni. If Redmond or Postma could play on the left, I could see them moving Clitsome, or just outright putting him back on waivers in order to send him to the Rock.

Once the team is looking to be out of the playoffs is where things get dicey. Not going to worry about Clitsome because no matter what he is not back next year. I think it's the GM's job to determine which guys they would like back, and to make an effort to resign those guys before the end of the season. If they can't get resigned during the season, I would want my GM to already know which guys that A) don't fit in next season, and B) will not resign during the offseason.

So for Hainsey, I think we do have a spot for him next year. The UFA market for D is terrible this off season, and losing Hainsey would leave a gigantic hole on the left side. IF Hainsey wanted to stay, I would want the team to try to get him resigned (at a good price obviously). If Hainey wants to test FA, AND we're out of it then I would look to deal him.

Antro and Poni are close to the same situation as Haisney to me. I think they both have a role on the team for another year if they both wanted to resign at good prices. The difference between them and Hainsey for me is that the forward UFA crop is a lot better than the one for D. IF Chevy felt like getting picks for Poni and Antro was a better move, AND felt he could replace them with upgrades via FA I think it would be a benefit to trade them. There is obviously a risk here that you can't replace them with better options if you let them walk. And just like Hainsey, if neither of them want to resign anyway, AND we're out of it, then they should be dealt IMO.

Wellwood is slightly different to me again in that even if he wanted to come back next year, I don't think there is a spot for him. So IMO, if we're in the playoff race I think he stays, if we're out of it, I would think he should be dealt for something.
In the playoff mix is tough...

If the Jets are in 5th place at the deadline, I agree, nobody moves.

If the Jets are in 10th and a few points out, that decision is a lot harder. I wouldn't be opposed to them making a move that nets them a couple more draft picks.

I do agree that Antro, Poni and Hainsey could have a spot here for the next year or two, but I would scrap flimsy playoff chances before I would lose that kind of player for nothing.

Old
02-06-2013, 09:58 AM
vBurmi
Blue-Line Dekes

vCash: 5949
I believe Wellwood was available last year, during a career year and no one wanted to give up anything to get him. He's a little too soft for playoff hockey and he wouldn't be top-6 on any playoff teams. I don't see how that has changed this year.

Antro and Hainsey should each easily net an Oduya-like return (2nd + 3rd a year from now). Although I don't know that the team would trade either one just because they're going to miss the playoffs - they might decide the team would be too much of a mess without them (depending on injuries) or that they want to try to re-sign them to a cheaper deal.

I don't think the Oduya trade was bad for Chicago. He worked out there to the point that they re-signed him and that's the going rate for rentals. Dominic Moore netted a 2nd on 3 different occasions and Antropov, for example, is a far better player who should be able to get a 2nd + 3rd.

Edit: forgot to mention, no one is trading for Clitsome.

vBurmi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 09:59 AM
Huffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by truck View Post
In the playoff mix is tough...

If the Jets are in 5th place at the deadline, I agree, nobody moves.

If the Jets are in 10th and a few points out, that decision is a lot harder. I wouldn't be opposed to them making a move that nets them a couple more draft picks.

I do agree that Antro, Poni and Hainsey could have a spot here for the next year or two, but I would scrap flimsy playoff chances before I would lose that kind of player for nothing.
Totally agree. The border line of making the playoffs / not making the playoffs is tough. I only talked above about the black and white / In or Out situations. Being on the fringe is extra challenging.

For some here, if Chevy moves a few guys like Antro, Poni, and Hainsey when we're on that bubble, they'll be angry that the team is throwing in the towel.

Others don't like the idea of losing players to FA for nothing.

I myself hate the idea of losing a potential asset for nothing, but when you're walking that fine line of being in or out, it can get challenging to know which way to go.

Old
02-06-2013, 10:32 AM
Sweech
COYS!

I'm 100% hoping we resign Antropov.

Hainsey is another guy I hope we resign, but it wouldn't break my heart if we didn't. I think the trade market is very open for a guy like Hainsey right now.

No one wants Clitsome. Period. We claimed him off waivers and he's done nothing but get worse since that claim, there's almost no way we get anything for him.

Sweech is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 10:57 AM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffer View Post
Totally agree. The border line of making the playoffs / not making the playoffs is tough. I only talked above about the black and white / In or Out situations. Being on the fringe is extra challenging.

For some here, if Chevy moves a few guys like Antro, Poni, and Hainsey when we're on that bubble, they'll be angry that the team is throwing in the towel.

Others don't like the idea of losing players to FA for nothing.

I myself hate the idea of losing a potential asset for nothing, but when you're walking that fine line of being in or out, it can get challenging to know which way to go.
A fire sale while they are on the bubble wouldn't go over well, but moving one or two player that that can kind or replace internally would be wise.

Perhaps Mittens is healthy and can slot in for a parted Poni.
Perhaps O'Dell gets a look on the 3rd line for Antro.
Perhaps Redmond can earn a spot next to Bogo in place of Hainsey.

I don't think we would see all three, but I could see one such move happening if said player wansn't coming back anyways.

Old
02-06-2013, 11:11 AM
cheswick
Non-registered User

vCash: 574
No sure why the obsession with moving Hainsey. I can guarantee if he's moved whoever replaces him won't be as good.

cheswick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 11:23 AM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
No sure why the obsession with moving Hainsey. I can guarantee if he's moved whoever replaces him won't be as good.
I agree.

I am all for resigning him too, but I would support a move if he told TNSE he isn't coming back.

Old
02-06-2013, 11:24 AM
Huffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by truck View Post
A fire sale while they are on the bubble wouldn't go over well, but moving one or two player that that can kind or replace internally would be wise.

Perhaps Mittens is healthy and can slot in for a parted Poni.
Perhaps O'Dell gets a look on the 3rd line for Antro.
Perhaps Redmond can earn a spot next to Bogo in place of Hainsey.

I don't think we would see all three, but I could see one such move happening if said player wansn't coming back anyways.
For sure, all good things there. It would be great if Redmond could play on the left. That would allow for more possibilities to get both him and Postma in the lineup.

Your last line is something I did mention earlier. You really have to know who is or isn't planning on coming back.

Old
02-06-2013, 12:02 PM
jamiebez

vCash: 500
I'm all for a fire sale unless we are solidly in a playoff spot at the deadline. By "solidly", I mean with a 2-3 point cushion on 9th.

I just think we lack organizational depth at all levels and at all positions (except maybe left wing). The best way to resolve that is with draft picks and patience.

In terms of who could actually return a tangible value, it's pretty much Antropov, Pokahonsky, Wellwood (maybe) and Hainsey. The only guy I'd have a problem with trading in Hainsey, just because of how tough it would be to replace him - there is NOTHING out there in next year's UFA crop.

An interesting idea that I've had for a little while would be to trade him for another defenseman on a team that will be in cap trouble next year. However, after spending about 15 minutes on Capgeek, I can't find a good deal there either

jamiebez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 12:14 PM
Conflicted Habs fan

ok, the Jets can play and make it to the bottom 10 again or they can trade for draft picks right now:
Who?
Kane - first round draft pick
Bufalin - first round draft pick

Tank the season,

Then seriously begin building a new team with a winning team culture.

If this is not done, then you might as well be called the Leafs

Conflicted Habs fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 12:16 PM
Flair Hay

vCash: 155
This isn't necessarily trade deadline, but with the cap going down next year Vancouver will likely look at moving Ballard for cheaper than his talent suggests. He's been pretty dependable for them ever since the 2011 playoffs when he was scratched a bunch.

Flair Hay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 12:18 PM
allan5oh
#Dive4Five #31Buyout

Chicago or Vancouver would be interested in Antropov. Almost everyone would be interested in Hainsey. I doubt Clitsome would go anywhere, and Wellwood is a crap shoot. Although he is known for his playoff performance.

Although I'd love to make the playoffs this year, I just don't see it happening with our lack of D depth. Bogosian comes back in a few weeks but it's going to take another few weeks for him to get up to speed. Postma and Redmond are going to need some time to get up to speed as well.

This year should be about developing those two guys, improving our defensive system, and Pavelecs play. Selling one or two players at the deadline isn't a big issue to me. Especially if they don't want to re-sign. I think we should keep Hainsey, but at a much lower contract. He's a good veteran 3rd line D to pair with a younger guy.

allan5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 12:20 PM
Flair Hay

Hainsey, Antropov and Ponikarovsky are the only three that could fetch a return as they could actually contribute to a contender. We can't trade all three and just tank, but if any of them were able to bring back a 2nd rounder or more, it'd be hard not to pull the trigger.

Whether its Hainsey or someone else, we're going to need a veteran LD, maybe two by next fall.

Old
02-06-2013, 12:41 PM
Sweech
COYS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conflicted Habs fan View Post
ok, the Jets can play and make it to the bottom 10 again or they can trade for draft picks right now:
Who?
Kane - first round draft pick
Bufalin - first round draft pick

Tank the season,

Then seriously begin building a new team with a winning team culture.

If this is not done, then you might as well be called the Leafs
Or call yourself The Edmonton Oilers-lite if this was done.

Sweech is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 12:59 PM
Flair Hay

I'm honestly not sure if Conflicted Habs Fan was kidding or not lol so I will assume he wasn't.

I think the best way to build a winning culture is by...winning games?

Trading our best forward and best defenseman in Kane and Buff for 1st round picks would not accomplish this at all.

AFAIC the following guys are players that in their current role or a slightly downgraded one are good enough players at their price tag to be part of the top 9 forwards/top 6 defense on a Cup contender in 3-4 years:

Kane, Wheeler, Ladd, Burmistrov, Little. That's 5/9. Scheifele and Lowry ATM are the only prospects I could see being in that role by then.

Enstrom, Byfuglien, Bogosian, Postma, Redmond. Add Trouba and this looks decent long term.

Anyone who is an established NHLer that isn't included in this (lists will certainly differ) should probably be moved to a team whose window is now to 2 years for futures.

I wouldn't be upset if we picked forwards with every single pick in the draft this year. A big UFA signing would go a long way to helping along the process. But the bottom line as I see it is we need either a superstar to mask deficiencies or another 3 or 4 borderline top six players.

Old
02-06-2013, 01:03 PM
allan5oh
#Dive4Five #31Buyout

Kane is worth a LOT more than a 1st rounder.

allan5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 01:03 PM
Jets
Resident Sieve

I wonder if Cormier is worth a call up. He could make Earthworm Jim Slater expendable, and witha few years left on his deal he could net a Gaustad like return. Thing is he's fixed in the Winnipeg community.

Jets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 01:04 PM
BigZ65

vCash: 350
Wonder if we might package pick + player for higher pick.

Ex:

Antropov and 2nd rounder to playoff bound team for 1st and lower/future pick.

BigZ65 is offline   Reply With Quote