HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Ticket prices are getting ridiculous.

Old
02-04-2013, 06:01 PM
LastWordArmy
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Ticket prices are getting ridiculous.

www.lastwordonsports.com/outrageous_NHL_ticket_prices

Some of the big market teams, mostly in Canada, are taking advantage of the hockey fans with the extremely high ticket prices, that are becoming unreachable for the major public.

Last edited by mouser: 02-04-2013 at 09:11 PM. Reason: Normal link is fine
LastWordArmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 06:14 PM
f1nn

vCash: 1312
Send a message via AIM to f1nn
supply and demand... also I think it's a ridiculous concept that fans should be given something extra or that rivalry/star games should be the same price as normal.. No one is forcing people to buy the tickets and apparently there's enough people that can afford them to keep the prices high.. Of course it would be nice if everyone could afford a ticket but lowering prices to below market value to achieve this would be quite silly no?

f1nn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 06:24 PM
HugoSimon

Seems like a rather absurd notion, nose bleed tickets are much cheaper than I thought.

If they had given mid ranged seats I might be more interested, but mentioning premium seating in what is the worlds most expensive sport seems like a joke.

It's far more annoying seeing the cheap ticket prices in places like nashville or TBL.

If you can't afford the games there are plenty of other options, such as the AHL etc.

Granted in toronto it's a slightly different situation, in which the nhl is turning down growth and revenue for the league in the name of having a monopoly on sports.

HugoSimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 06:33 PM
Azkals

Attendance is at an all time high. 2/3s of the league are sold out every night. Only 4 teams under 94% capacity. Not much to complain about. That's what happens when there is high demand and low seating capacity.

Azkals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 06:34 PM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

vCash: 50
This is always nonsense. When Madonna rolled through Roger's Arena here in Vancouver I think tickets were going for $500. When Cirque du Soleil is in town the cheapest tickets start at around $80.

Take a look around, it's not just the NHL that has these high ticket prices.

RandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 06:47 PM
Zih
Dater's Gonna Hate

vCash: 140
If a team is selling out every game, then their ticket prices are too low, not too high.

Zih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 07:12 PM
HugoSimon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandV View Post
This is always nonsense. When Madonna rolled through Roger's Arena here in Vancouver I think tickets were going for $500. When Cirque du Soleil is in town the cheapest tickets start at around $80.

A night out anywhere even in timmins ontario is still gonna cost 40-100 bucks.

MOD

Last edited by Fugu: 02-04-2013 at 08:32 PM. Reason: ageism
Old
02-04-2013, 07:40 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandV View Post

There's a huge difference between a particular concert act that comes around once every few years, and an NHL team that has 41 home games per season (plus preseason, plus playoffs).

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 07:46 PM
Pure West

If the ticket prices were reduced, then all you'd have is scalpers buying up the seats and selling them on the secondary market.

Like it or not, if people are willing to pay the prices they do (and clearly they are since those tickets are getting bought), then the tickets will continue to be expensive....one way or the other.

Pure West is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 07:49 PM
Novak Djokovic
MARC METHOT's #1 FAN

vCash: 966
Just did a quick search on ticketmaster, $76 per ticket is the cheapest ticket available in Edmonton for a game against Dallas Stars. Dallas Stars. Holy cow.

That's like 4 games (and food) in some markets. I wish I lived there... who cares if other people aren't interested in hockey? At least, I could go to games.

Novak Djokovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 07:54 PM
Langdon Alger*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serbian Power View Post
Just did a quick search on ticketmaster, $76 per ticket is the cheapest ticket available in Edmonton for a game against Dallas Stars. Dallas Stars. Holy cow.

That's like 4 games (and food) in some markets. I wish I lived there... who cares if other people aren't interested in hockey? At least, I could go to games.
I never buy tickets at face value. It's StubHub or bust for me - always below face value, never had a problem.

A quick check of StubHub shows that the cheapest price for a pair of tickets to the Oilers/Stars game is $32 each, and you can download and print the tickets.

Langdon Alger* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 08:00 PM
berklon

Vote with your wallet. Let someone else pay those high prices.

Are you really getting $75+ worth of entertainment watching a hockey game at an arena? Even if it's a good game, that's a lot of cash. Nevermind paying $150, $250 or higher.
You aren't even guaranteed it'll be a good game. I can't imagine how ripped-off I'd feel if paying those prices watching an extremely dull defensive game or blowout.

There are so many better ways to spend my money, especially since I prefer to watch an HD feed on my 60" HDTV in the comfort of my own home.

berklon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 08:11 PM
MovesLikeJagr

I also do stubhub, and since I'm in Raleigh, it's not costly. Just bought 4 tickets for the jets game on the 21st for $36.

MovesLikeJagr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 08:14 PM
HugoSimon

Quote:
Originally Posted by berklon View Post

Are you really getting $75+ worth of entertainment watching a hockey game at an arena? Even if it's a good game, that's a lot of cash. Nevermind paying $150, $250 or higher.
You aren't even guaranteed it'll be a good game. I can't imagine how ripped-off I'd feel if paying those prices watching an extremely dull defensive game or blowout.

There are so many better ways to spend my money, especially since I prefer to watch an HD feed on my 60" HDTV in the comfort of my own home.

But those prices are not high, simply paying for one months hd(with actual nhl games) is comparable to going to a game once a month.

That suggest the exact opposite of what your saying.

I'd far rather goto a game once a month than pay for a television package.

It's a no brainer actually.

Old
02-04-2013, 08:16 PM
HugoSimon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovesLikeJagr View Post
I also do stubhub, and since I'm in Raleigh, it's not costly. Just bought 4 tickets for the jets game on the 21st for $36.
Lol and this is the actual problem where my ticket money is being spent to subsidies yours.

Old
02-04-2013, 09:18 PM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastWordArmy View Post
Some of the big market teams, mostly in Canada, are taking advantage of the hockey fans with the extremely high ticket prices, that are becoming unreachable for the major public.
If the ticket prices are unreachable for the major public then how are they being taken advantage of when they don't buy those tickets?

mouser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 12:35 AM
DeathToAllButMetal
Let it all burn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by berklon View Post

Exactly. I can afford NHL tickets, but I'm way too smart with my money to bother with this nonsense any more. Used to go to games in the early and mid 90s when prices were more reasonable. Think my first Leafs tickets were low Greens for around $25 in 1991. Now, that same level of seat at the ACC would be around $200 or more.

No thanks. I get tickets given to me every so often, only way I'd go these days. Just a massive ripoff. No value there at all.

DeathToAllButMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 12:38 AM
DeathToAllButMetal
Let it all burn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HugoSimon View Post
But those prices are not high, simply paying for one months hd(with actual nhl games) is comparable to going to a game once a month.

That suggest the exact opposite of what your saying.

I'd far rather goto a game once a month than pay for a television package.

It's a no brainer actually.
A month's worth of hockey at home, in HD, is worth the price of one night at the rink? Really? I'd rather get the dozens of games at home than spend the same amount of cash going to a game, that could be a blowout, could be boring, etc. Think most people are with me on that. Games at the rink have become a huge treat for most NHL fans in Canada. Most that I know make do with watching on TV, going when they get freebies, or going with a bunch of friends once or twice a year.

DeathToAllButMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 12:44 AM
danishh
Dat Stache

vCash: 50
Ticket prices arnt high enough unless every seat is sold out and no-one wants to buy another ticket.

dont worry though, they'll come down. Economy is in for a shock once baby boomers get stuck on fixed incomes and stop spending on anything that isnt healthcare.

02-05-2013, 12:59 AM
guyincognito

Quote:
Lol and this is the actual problem where my ticket money is being spent to subsidies yours.
That's secondary market. You're not subsidizing secondary market, the original ticket holder is. You're really not subsidizing much of anything, NHL revenue sharing is weak. You're just being gouged, because you can, or maybe because your market doesn't have strong local TV or corporate support and needs to maximize gate revenue, and the easiest way to do that is to make $1.5/2M a night.

guyincognito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 01:26 AM
Primrose Everdeen
A Scarlet Letter

vCash: 100
Quote:
I've never understood this viewpoint. Ticket prices strike me as being market-specific, independent of other markets. This is coming from a Coyotes fan, where tickets are cheap because that's all that the market will bear. Revenue sharing across the league is not strong enough to where fan cost in high-profile markets is "subsidizing" fan cost in lower-profile markets such as mine. I paid $18 per game for a full season package in my seat. My approximate seat (upper bowl, upper rows, on the blue line) would go for $80-$100 in Toronto or Vancouver.

If my ticket price goes up, do the prices in Toronto or Vancouver go down? No. They don't.

Primrose Everdeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 02:04 AM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

vCash: 920
Ridiculous article.

If the fans paying for the tickets felt they were getting ripped off they wouldn't buy the tickets.

Hockey Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 03:02 AM
OthmarAmmann
Money making machine

Didn't read the article, but part of the driver in Canada has been a boom in personal debt and associated consumption. Personal debt levels inCanada have hit record levels and are in fact higher than they were in America prior to the crash.

It's gotten so high that the major Canadian banks credit ratings were just cut on fears of bad debt.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe...rticle7910438/

Last edited by OthmarAmmann: 02-05-2013 at 03:08 AM.
OthmarAmmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 03:19 AM
XX
... Waiting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas L View Post
Didn't read the article, but part of the driver in Canada has been a boom in personal debt and associated consumption. Personal debt levels inCanada have hit record levels and are in fact higher than they were in America prior to the crash.

It's gotten so high that the major Canadian banks credit ratings were just cut on fears of bad debt.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe...rticle7910438/
The largest housing bubble in the world exists in Canada. It has to end sometime. I don't think any NHL teams are in trouble, but this sort of spending ins't sustainable. People in Vancouver are spending 83% of their income on housing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Team View Post
Ridiculous article.

If the fans paying for the tickets felt they were getting ripped off they wouldn't buy the tickets.
The 'fans' buying the tickets in these cases are upper echelon. Tickets are out of reach for many.

XX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 03:36 AM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

vCash: 920
Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
The largest housing bubble in the world exists in Canada. It has to end sometime. I don't think any NHL teams are in trouble, but this sort of spending ins't sustainable. People in Vancouver are spending 83% of their income on housing.

The 'fans' buying the tickets in these cases are upper echelon. Tickets are out of reach for many.

Well, that's the way the market is. An arena can only hold a fixed # of people, if there's people who are willing to pay more then others, then some people can't go.

Hockey Team is offline   Reply With Quote