HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Starting 2013-14 Roster (Want the Fan's eye view/hope/goal))

Old
04-30-2013, 09:37 AM
The Mars Volchenkov
Everberg flow

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzai12 View Post
I guess I'm in the minority here - I think Jones should spend at least half the year in Lake Erie, if not the entire year.

We have a glut of crummy defensemen already with contracts, defensemen in general take a long time to develop (Hedman, anyone?), and I really don't consider us a serious cup contender next year.

Let's do the right thing with this kid.
He can't go to Lake Erie. It's either NHL or juniors for next year.

The Mars Volchenkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 09:37 AM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 239
He cant play in the AHL.

Lonewolfe2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 09:38 AM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

Quote:
I guess I'm in the minority here - I think Jones should spend at least half the year in Lake Erie, if not the entire year.

We have a glut of crummy defensemen already with contracts, defensemen in general take a long time to develop (Hedman, anyone?), and I really don't consider us a serious cup contender next year.

He can't go to the AHL. It is either the WHL or NHL.

By all accounts Jones is NHL ready right now. If he isn't in camp he can be sent down, but there is nothing as of right now that says he won't be in the NHL next year.

henchman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 09:38 AM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

vCash: 50
Quote:

He can't play in the AHL. It's either WHL or NHL for him. It'll be NHL.

Freudian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 09:39 AM
TwoPadStack
Gross Misconduct

Quote:

Hi, not sure if it's been mentioned, but he can't go to the AHL. NHL or Juniors for him next year.

TwoPadStack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 09:41 AM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

vCash: 905
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoPadStack View Post
Hi, not sure if it's been mentioned, but he can't go to the AHL. NHL or Juniors for him next year.
Wait...are you saying that there is NO chance he can play in the AHL next year? That it's either the WHL or NHL for him next year? Are you sure about this? I'm gonna need some sort of verification.

Thought I'd been in love before, but in my heart I wanted more. Seems like all I really was doing was waiting for you - John Lennon/The Beatles
RockLobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 09:45 AM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

Repetition is the mother of all learning.

Old
04-30-2013, 09:53 AM
Avs71

Not sure how much the Avs need to sign a defenceman now, if they draft Jones. I want to see Barrie on the top pairing with EJ, at least until Jones* could move up there.

Barrie-EJ
Hejda-Jones
Wilson-O'Brien

Let Seimens-Elliott have the top pairing in the AHL.

Last edited by Avs71: 04-30-2013 at 10:01 AM.
Avs71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 10:00 AM
AvalancheFan19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post
Had a very good season, he's easily one of the best fighters in the league and he hits like a mack truck. He has some speed to him and hands which may allow him to become a regular fourth liner with 8-10 minutes a game in the future. Very coachable and a great team player.

If he isn't brought back I'll be extremely pissed.
Agreed. He had a great season and is leaps and bounds better than the likes of other enforces who receive similar minutes such as Colton Orr. No reason we shouldn't resign him. One heavyweight on the team is good to have. The Leafs have two and are doing great.

AvalancheFan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 10:08 AM
Bonzai12

vCash: 767
Send a message via Yahoo to Bonzai12
So just to clarify, he can go to the AHL then, right?

I always forget that about rookies. But anyways, I'm not really sold on him going straight to the NHL. I guess we'll see in camp. Just afraid of this kid going down the same road EJ did. I'm just as excited as everyone else but I really REALLY want this kid to pan out. IMO we need this kid to be the star of the defensive corps and EJ as the 2nd best d-man on this team to really take it to the next level.

Bonzai12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 10:10 AM
The Mars Volchenkov
Everberg flow

Quote:
So just to clarify, he can go to the AHL then, right?

I always forget that about rookies. But anyways, I'm not really sold on him going straight to the NHL. I guess we'll see in camp. Just afraid of this kid going down the same road EJ did. I'm just as excited as everyone else but I really REALLY want this kid to pan out. IMO we need this kid to be the star of the defensive corps and EJ as the 2nd best d-man on this team to really take it to the next level.
EJ didn't play in the NHL the first year after his draft, so there's no sure fire way to develop an NHL defenseman.

Old
04-30-2013, 10:11 AM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mars Volchenkov View Post
EJ didn't play in the NHL the first year after his draft, so there's no sure fire way to develop an NHL defenseman.
And Doughty did play in the NHL right away and looked good. It is all dependent on the player really. By all accounts Jones is ready, and we will see in training camp.

henchman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
TwoPadStack
Gross Misconduct

Quote:
But anyways, I'm not really sold on him going straight to the NHL. I guess we'll see in camp. Just afraid of this kid going down the same road EJ did. I'm just as excited as everyone else but I really REALLY want this kid to pan out. IMO we need this kid to be the star of the defensive corps and EJ as the 2nd best d-man on this team to really take it to the next level.
EJ played a year at the University of Minnesota after being drafted. Only came into the league for the 2007-08 season despite being drafted in 2006.

Every case is different. If Jones comes to camp and shows a mature brain, he will be on the team, because the skill set is already there.

TwoPadStack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Avs71

Quote:
But Doughty did.

Wow, just realized Doughty averaged almost 24 minutes his first season in the NHL.

Avs71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 10:12 AM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

Quote:
Neither did Pietrangelo and Hamilton. Doughty did and was fine.

Old
04-30-2013, 10:19 AM
The Mars Volchenkov
Everberg flow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
Neither did Pietrangelo and Hamilton. Doughty did and was fine.
The way that Pietrangelo was handled early on was bizarre, but it seems to have worked out just fine.

Old
04-30-2013, 10:59 AM
chet1926

Assuming Jones is drafted:

McGinn-Duchene-PAP
Landeskog-ROR-Downie
Raymond-Stastny-Jones
Bordeleau-Mitchell-McCleod

Olver, Palushaj

Barrie-EJ
Hejda-Jones
Wilson-Hunwick

O'Brien

Varly/Giggy

Zanon bought out, Mason Raymond brought in as UFA

Assuming MacKinnon:

Mac-Duchene-PAP
Landeskog-ROR-Downie
McGinn-Hanzal-Raymond

Palushaj, Olver

Yandle-EJ
Hejda-Barrie
Wilson-Hunwick

O'Brien

Varly/Giggy

Trade Stastny, mid prospect and our 1st next year for Yandle and Hanzal.
Zanon bought out
Mason Raymond brought in as UFA

chet1926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 11:31 AM
The Mars Volchenkov
Everberg flow

I personally wouldn't mind giving Downie a chance on a line with Duchene and Parenteau, but that seems unlikely to happen.

If we miss out on a top 9 forward in UFA like Stalberg, I'd hope they would look at giving Sgarbossa or Hishon (assuming he's recovered) a shot on the wing.

I don't think Palushaj will get offered a deal, mainly because Olver's contract extends to next year. They're somewhat similar players and you don't need both.

Old
04-30-2013, 11:42 AM
IndustryLeech

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet1926 View Post
Assuming Jones is drafted:

McGinn-Duchene-PAP
Landeskog-ROR-Downie
Raymond-Stastny-Jones

Olver, Palushaj

Barrie-EJ
Hejda-Jones
Wilson-Hunwick

O'Brien

Varly/Giggy

Zanon bought out, Mason Raymond brought in as UFA

Assuming MacKinnon:

Mac-Duchene-PAP
Landeskog-ROR-Downie
McGinn-Hanzal-Raymond

Palushaj, Olver

Yandle-EJ
Hejda-Barrie
Wilson-Hunwick

O'Brien

Varly/Giggy

Trade Stastny, mid prospect and our 1st next year for Yandle and Hanzal.
Zanon bought out
Mason Raymond brought in as UFA
This would be awesome, but I don't see Phoenix (if they are still in Phoenix) doing this in a million years.

IndustryLeech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 12:00 PM
chet1926

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndustryLeech View Post
This would be awesome, but I don't see Phoenix (if they are still in Phoenix) doing this in a million years.
Stastny, a first, and decent non-defensive prospect could fetch a minor killing in my opinion. Stastny is on the same level as Yandle, Hanzal for a 1st and decent prospect seems fair (remember now, any team that misses the playoffs could end up number 1 overall).

I've never understood why everyone thinks Hanzal is this superstar level player, he has never had more than 35pts in a season, though this year he was on pace for 47 during a 82 game season. He is 26 going on 27 we have a feel for his game. He is a borderline 2C best suited for 3C duties. He is a player I would like on the team, but by no means would he be a top player for the Avs more a solid role player. A 1st and decent prospect should be more than enough to get him.

chet1926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 12:04 PM
IndustryLeech

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet1926 View Post
Stastny, a first, and decent non-defensive prospect could fetch a minor killing in my opinion. Stastny is on the same level as Yandle, Hanzal for a 1st and decent prospect seems fair (remember now, any team that misses the playoffs could end up number 1 overall).

I've never understood why everyone thinks Hanzal is this superstar level player, he has never had more than 35pts in a season, though this year he was on pace for 47 during a 82 game season. He is 26 going on 27 we have a feel for his game. He is a borderline 2C best suited for 3C duties. He is a player I would like on the team, but by no means would he be a top player for the Avs more a solid role player. A 1st and decent prospect should be more than enough to get him.
Stastny's value is in the gutter so trading for him + unproven prospects would be extremely high risk for Phoenix IMO. I'm not a huge Hanzal fan personally, but he is a proven NHL player and Yandle has really high value.

IndustryLeech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 12:20 PM
Bonzai12

vCash: 767
Send a message via Yahoo to Bonzai12
Every day/game that Stastny is on this roster, his value goes down. I could possibly see him giving the Avs a discount on his contract (but maybe not with the Stewart trade).

I couldn't see him playing 50 games for some other team though and then giving them a discount. I'd bet Stastny is a UFA in 2014. As time passes we're going to get less and less for him.

Bonzai12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 12:21 PM
the_fan

Anyone that's worried about Jones not living up to expectations like EJ should realize that those two are nothing alike as far as playing style.

Jones for one has much better numbers in juniors than EJ had. Jones is much smarter and better skater than EJ is.

In today's NHL the most important asset a d-man can have is smarts along with good skating ability, because today's game is all about being smart in right position.

I am not worried at all about Jones, i think he's gonna be a better player than EJ. Also EJ will be fine if he plays with good d-man instead of Hunwick.

Look how good EJ and JJ were at world games playing together on same pairing.

the_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 01:22 PM
GeoffL19

vCash: 800
My Ideal Roster looks like this:

Landeskog-Duchene-Parenteau
McGinn-Stastny-Dupuis
Bickell-O'Reilly-Downie
McLeod-Mitchell-Bordeleau/Palushaj

Jones-Johnson
Hejda-Barrie
Scuderi-Elliott

Wilson/O'Brien

Buy out D.Jones and ship off Hunwick to a team that needs a #1, 22min-per night D-man

Of the free agents listed, I have a hard time seeing Dupuis go someplace else. Would be amazing to get a guy like him, he's exactly what we wish D Jones would be, and could rejuvenate Stastny enough to make him a hot commodity come deadline day in a deal for a top-4 D-man.

Bickell I could see commanding more money than the Hawks would be willing to pay, and adding him to shore up our Left side would be awesome. He fits the mold of this team almost perfectly.

Scuderi probably has 1-3 years left in the tank, and would be great to pair him with Elliott, adding veteran experience and very solid D-zone coverage to give Elliott more offensive freedom.

Pipe dream over.

GeoffL19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 01:31 PM
jaisen73

Having seen Jones in person several times I can tell you that when he is on the ice it's Man vs. Boys at the WHL level. I'd be very surprised if he doesn't enter the NHL next year and he will surely get the 9 games look.

The only way I don't see the Avs drafting Jones is if Florida or Nashville or some other team looking to trade up offer them something insanely great. Given the depth of the draft I don't see that happening.

jaisen73 is offline   Reply With Quote