HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

GM#11:Feb 7th, 2013|Toronto @ Atlanta (or even worse Winnipeg) | LEAFS TV | 8:00 PM

Closed Thread

Old
02-07-2013, 02:36 PM
Morguee
That's Mind-boggling

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Budsfan View Post
LOL

Where did that come from and what does it mean, everybody goes down with the ship, or everyone plays their heart out because there isn't any help coming, in any case, I've never heard that expression.

I'm still chuckling.
When the Greeks or Romans? would invade they would burn their boats so they could not retreat but had to keep going forward.

Old
02-07-2013, 02:42 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

This is an important game that Leafs must win, as Jets are a team that the Leafs need to hope to finish ahead of for their playoff aspirations.

02-07-2013, 02:44 PM
Budsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morguee View Post
When the Greeks or Romans? would invade they would burn their boats so they could not retreat but had to keep going forward.
Well that does make more sense but it struck me funny when I first read it and I'm sure that either of those two empires, would in fact do that, to make sure their soldiers would fight until the end but I'm not sure the NHLPA would endorse such a tactic in the CBA....LOL

Old
02-07-2013, 02:48 PM
BayStBullies
Burn the Boats!

Quote:
Well that does make more sense but it struck me funny when I first read it and I'm sure that either of those two empires, would in fact do that, to make sure their soldiers would fight until the end but I'm not sure the NHLPA would endorse such a tactic in the CBA....LOL
Unless you are in Vancouver or Montreal; where your cars (i.e. ships) are burnt outside the arena.

Vancouver after failing in the finals; Montreal after just generally failing.

Old
02-07-2013, 02:49 PM
SpeakerForTheDead

vCash: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by take a peak View Post
Thanks, yeah looking into it more they seem legit...probably just sell heaps of tickets and bound to have a few complaints...

Ever bought tickets, that for some reason do not list the actual seat but give the row and promise to be together? (lots of listing seem to have this)

Is there are ay to confirm tickets are legit before going to the game...i.s. scan them at a ticketmaster/ go to box office early??
I have bought a few tickets where the seat number wasn't listed and they were always together. I'm pretty sure StubHub checks that before the tickets get listed on the website. I'm sure you can go by the box office beside Air Canada Centre beforehand to verify the tickets but I've never had an issue for any of the Leafs or Raptors tickets I've bought from there.

Old
02-07-2013, 02:49 PM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

vCash: 166
Good GDT Gunners!

Let's go boys!

02-07-2013, 02:55 PM
lampshade*

Classy move by Randy to dress Frazer for his first game in his home province. Too bad the thrashers are limp noodles.

Old
02-07-2013, 03:01 PM
Guy Boucher

Quote:
Actually it was the Moors who adopted the practice when they invaded present day Spain, after crossing the Bay of Gibraltar. The Spainiards adopted the practice centuries later during the conquest of the Aztec Empire (or so the legend goes).

Old
02-07-2013, 03:15 PM
Gm0ney

vCash: 1300
The Jets are missing 2 of their top 3 defenseman (Byfuglien and Bogosian) and Pavelec couldn't stop a beach ball most nights. If Kessel can't pot one against this squad, he may not score all year. That being said, the Leafs haven't won in Winnipeg in 18 years...that must be the Leafs 2nd longest not-winning-something streak...

Old
02-07-2013, 03:15 PM
Hologram

Quote:
LOL

Where did that come from and what does it mean, everybody goes down with the ship, or everyone plays their heart out because there isn't any help coming, in any case, I've never heard that expression.

I'm still chuckling.
I'm guessing it's a reference to this: http://www.tsn.ca/toronto/blogs/jonas_siegel/?id=413518

Old
02-07-2013, 03:16 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Pretty cool inspiration story from carlyle however we hope he makes them have that drive constantly.

02-07-2013, 03:16 PM
Pi

vCash: 100
^^

That streak would mean something if the Jets had existed the last 18 years.

Jets are in Phoenix.

Thrasher Jets 2.0 are 2-2 against the Leafs.

Old
02-07-2013, 03:21 PM
topched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gm0ney View Post
The Jets are missing 2 of their top 3 defenseman (Byfuglien and Bogosian) and Pavelec couldn't stop a beach ball most nights. If Kessel can't pot one against this squad, he may not score all year. That being said, the Leafs haven't won in Winnipeg in 18 years...that must be the Leafs 2nd longest not-winning-something streak...
Leafs haven't won in Hartford since 1997.

They've also never won in the city of Las Vegas or Regina.

^^
Two statements that hold as much value as your post.

Old
02-07-2013, 03:22 PM
Tak7

This time last year, it was an away game in Winnipeg that the Leafs lost.

That loss was the starting point to the "18 wheeler going off the cliff".

Lots to make up for tonight.

Old
02-07-2013, 03:22 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
^^

That streak would mean something if the Jets had existed the last 18 years.

Jets are in Phoenix.

Thrasher Jets 2.0 are 2-2 against the Leafs.
Lol! Thank you, somebody else remembers these aren't the real jets!

Anyways I really hope we can get them quickly.

Last edited by Leaf Rocket: 02-07-2013 at 03:28 PM.
Old
02-07-2013, 03:24 PM
p.l.f.
mvp

randy doesnt want komisarek here, does he

Old
02-07-2013, 03:35 PM
Budsfan

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hologram View Post
I'm guessing it's a reference to this: http://www.tsn.ca/toronto/blogs/jonas_siegel/?id=413518
I can just see Carlyle burning their plane tickets and telling them to walk to the next game in Montreal.

I'm sorry it's getting a bit silly, I'll stop.

I think the game tonight will be a really good game and although we have been winning our away games, this could be a tough one and it won't get any better in Montreal because the Habs have picked it up a notch and are not the same team we met earlier.

These next two games in a shortened season are important and I think we will have to win at least one to keep in the hunt.

Go Leafs Go!

Old
02-07-2013, 03:36 PM
Gm0ney

Quote:
Originally Posted by topched View Post
Leafs haven't won in Hartford since 1997.

They've also never won in the city of Las Vegas or Regina.

^^
Two statements that hold as much value as your post.
Touchy touchy! I dunno...I thought the part about the Jets' decimated D and terrible goaltending had some value. Seriously, though - if Kessel can't get it going tonight, you guys may need to exhume Barilko. If the Leafs can apply some offensive pressure or get a few early powerplays, this one will be over early...and then the Hartford streak will be the 2nd longest!

Old
02-07-2013, 03:38 PM
Tak7

Man I was so happy when I heard that Winnipeg got their team back.

Those fans were wicked, and I was genuinely pleased for how much fun they were having last season.

But once they fell into the hat of Leaf-haters like the rest of Canada, my hate for them just elevated. Can't stand them. Some of their losers on twitter are so provocative - completely forgetting that their team, does indeed, have an NHL team, and they don't need to worry about ours.

Last edited by Hurt: 02-07-2013 at 04:19 PM. Reason: Edited out quote.
Old
02-07-2013, 03:47 PM
WPGNYRFan

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayStBullies View Post
Let's swat these paper airplanes. What a horrible mess of a team. They managed to collect 3 players we rejected and formulated a line with them. Great move Florida!.... wait a second.. I mean Atlanta... wait that isn't right either. Does anyone remember the name of that completely forgettable tiny Canadian city? The one that absolutely no one gives a **** about?
Real nice and classy.

Anyway, even though you have people like this as fans, I'm really hoping the Leafs get into the playoffs this year. I'm all for friendly ribbing of each others teams, but when it comes down to it, I want to see your arena go absolutely crazy this spring! Good luck to you all! (starting tomorrow of course!)

Old
02-07-2013, 03:49 PM
lampshade*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak7 View Post

Those fans were wicked, and I was genuinely pleased for how much fun they were having last season.

But once they fell into the hat of Leaf-haters like the rest of Canada, my hate for them just elevated. Can't stand them. Some of their losers on twitter are so provocative - completely forgetting that their team, does indeed, have an NHL team, and they don't need to worry about ours.
Dude don't get to wound up, it's Winnipeg for Christ sakes it's renowned as a dump of a city, people are born there or immigrants move there. If you have ever had the pleasure of being there it's a grey city with old out dated buildings and a brown river that no one would ever swim in. It's kinda like a 3rd world city in a developed country.

Old
02-07-2013, 03:52 PM
Neas Olc
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Boucher View Post
Actually it was the Moors who adopted the practice when they invaded present day Spain, after crossing the Bay of Gibraltar. The Spainiards adopted the practice centuries later during the conquest of the Aztec Empire (or so the legend goes).
The Greeks indeed do this at Troy, in the Illiad. That's probably what the original poster was thinking of.

Old
02-07-2013, 03:52 PM
Gm0ney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak7 View Post

Leaf-hating is the gooey mucilage that holds Canada together!

I don't think Winnipeg fans are worse or more obnoxious than any others on Twitter. Do we even get Twitter in Winnipeg? It's hard to tell through this gas-huffing haze...

Old
02-07-2013, 03:53 PM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

vCash: 166
No Komisarek again? Guy gets no playing time and he's playing better. Poor guy.

Old
02-07-2013, 03:57 PM
Hurt
Global Moderator

I suggest Jets fans looking to defend their city's honour with (what they think are) witty retorts, turn back now, read the rules on trolling and save yourself an infraction or two.

Cheers.