HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Entertainment
Entertainment Discuss movies, tv shows, music, arts, literature, fashion, and upcoming events, concerts, etc.

Do any of you write? Looking for a place to get critics

Old
07-26-2013, 01:40 PM
Garbage Goal

vCash: 500
Do any of you write? Looking for a place to get critics

I've always been great with vocabulary and critical thinking skills as well as imagination so I've always thought about combining all of that into the only form I can think of that would be appropriate. Which is writing of course. I don't know of any popular sites where it's easy to get people to read your work though. From my research wattpad is great for writing and finding stories, but it still faces the same problem of having people reading your story. I don't really know people so I can't go that route. The story I have in mind is finally taking shape and I have the base for the first three chapters written.

Anyone else write as well? Or have dreams about it? Just curious if there's any aspiring writers here.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2013, 01:48 PM
Dean Ambrose
Just a little crazy

vCash: 133
I do, but more so scripts than anything else. I actually have a full plot on my computer for a script I want to write when I get my laptop. What I'll do with it, who knows? I'm excited for that though.

There's also other writing projects I'm starting to come up with for an animation YouTube series with my friend. If we can get even one of those ideas we've come up with off the ground, great.

Dean Ambrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2013, 01:55 PM
Ceremony
Just don't forget

vCash: 499
I am currently writing a book. When it's finished my initial hope/plan is to use the Kindle Direct Publishing thing on amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/seller-acco...opic=200260520

ďItís embarrassing. Iím embarrassed to be here right now. Itís not even funny. And itís just embarrassing, the way we, you know, the energy we have in the room and the way we approach practices and the way we approach this game. Itís not how youíre going to win any games in this league." - Jean-Sebastien Giguere, April 8 2013
Ceremony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2013, 01:56 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPrice 31 View Post
I do, but more so scripts than anything else. I actually have a full plot on my computer for a script I want to write when I get my laptop. What I'll do with it, who knows? I'm excited for that though.

There's also other writing projects I'm starting to come up with for an animation YouTube series with my friend. If we can get even one of those ideas we've come up with off the ground, great.
Let's hear it. =P

Old
07-26-2013, 02:17 PM
sabresfan129103

What kind of genre are you writing? I think there are a couple of sub-reddits over on ****** that will take a look at your stuff.

sabresfan129103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2013, 02:42 PM
Dean Ambrose
Just a little crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
Let's hear it. =P
Not the right time, ATM. the time will come though. I expect to make a ton of edits when I actually sit down and start writing out the script.

07-26-2013, 02:42 PM
Mischa
Are you happy to see

vCash: 162
I'd love to write, I just can't commit to a single story concept :\

Mischa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2013, 04:05 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabresfan129103 View Post
What kind of genre are you writing? I think there are a couple of sub-reddits over on ****** that will take a look at your stuff.
I guess the best description would be action sci-fi. To summarize the plot, alien races converge on Earth in their first contact due to an unexpected attack on it. The reason for the attack has to do with the Mariana Trench.

There's obviously more to it then that, but if I had to draw a comparison I'm aiming for it to be a less action-y version of a Mass Effect-inspired series.

Old
07-26-2013, 04:07 PM
Shadowtron

Try critters.org

Also...not a critique place, but you may dig participating in Nanowrimo in november. Www.nanowrimo.org

Shadowtron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2013, 05:37 PM
SonicY
Ad hominem

Hello Garbage Goal, love the name.

Love that we're actually discussing this on HF! If I glean your OP correctly, you're looking for someone to evaluate your writing and give critical feedback? I have an extensive writing/English background, and make a (partial) living assessing, editing and evaluating undergraduate and semi-professional creative writing and essays. Call me crazy, but its something I love doing.

I am currently studying to receive my MFA in Creative Writing from the University of Edinburgh. I previously studied English Lit at Simon Fraser University, where I also took a studio writing residency program for a year.

What I generally do for people who want to have their work evaluated is ask for a piece no more than 10 pages in length, and give them a basic evaluation focused on form, language and voice. I don't think I'm allowed to say anything more, as that constitutes advertising my business, and HF frowns on that, and I respect that, but feel free to PM me, and we can exchange emails and take it from there!

Last edited by SonicY: 07-26-2013 at 05:47 PM.
SonicY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2013, 02:25 AM
sully1410

vCash: 50
Cool man, I write a bit too, but with two little ones I don't have much time to dedicate to it anymore. Let me know how the dream goes!

sully1410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2013, 02:51 AM
Reclamation Project
Registered Troll

vCash: 592
I enjoy writing very much.

Reclamation Project is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2013, 03:47 AM
McSorleyStick
DECIMA-TING

My imagination is fertile and I would love to write, but I'm a lazy *******

One of my Uncles (RIP) was a poet and had books published

McSorleyStick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2013, 08:38 AM
The New Originals

I'm working on a novel. Been writing about 1,000 words a day for the last month or so. Going well so far.

The New Originals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2013, 08:55 AM
stingo

I write all the time. I've had stories, poems, and essays published since 2009, in some well known literary magazines, and in some smaller ones. I am currently at work on a novel, and a book of humorous essays.

The best three tips I can give you is to write everyday, read everything, and submit.

Start by writing a few short stories and submit them to magazines. Some magazines will give you feedback and let you know how far off you are, or if you've "got it." How else are you ever going to find out?

Don't let rejection bother you. When I first started writing I was eager and submitted everything, even though the bulk of what I was writing was terrible. The rejection letters and slips continued to pile-up, but I kept at it, and one day I came home and found a letter from a magazine based out of New Zealand. I opened it up, and to my surprise, I had my first acceptance letter. What a rush!

If you want, I will read and evaluate some of your work. No charge. Send me a PM and we'll go from there. I am not much of a sci-fi reader, or writer, but will critically evaluate the writing.

Good luck.

stingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2013, 07:05 PM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

I have been poking away at a novel since I was fifteen. I am thirty tomorrow. I have a handful of short stories I have been trying to sell with no success. I get so many ideas that I have a hard time finishing any of them at times.

BackGroundMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2013, 07:12 PM
Dean Ambrose
Just a little crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackGroundMusic View Post
I have been poking away at a novel since I was fifteen. I am thirty tomorrow. I have a handful of short stories I have been trying to sell with no success. I get so many ideas that I have a hard time finishing any of them at times.
I know where you've gotten one of those ideas.

Old
07-27-2013, 07:19 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackGroundMusic View Post
Yeah people don't realize how much thought, effort, and focus has to go into writing.

Old
07-27-2013, 07:58 PM
RobBrown4PM
Pringles?

I'm going to write a book on the history of the HFboards.

It'll be a best seller

RobBrown4PM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2013, 08:45 PM
Green Blob*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
I've always been great with vocabulary and critical thinking skills as well as imagination so I've always thought about combining all of that into the only form I can think of that would be appropriate. Which is writing of course. I don't know of any popular sites where it's easy to get people to read your work though. From my research wattpad is great for writing and finding stories, but it still faces the same problem of having people reading your story. I don't really know people so I can't go that route. The story I have in mind is finally taking shape and I have the base for the first three chapters written.

Anyone else write as well? Or have dreams about it? Just curious if there's any aspiring writers here.
Your grammar stinks, id go for something else.

Green Blob* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2013, 09:41 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Blob View Post
Your grammar stinks, id go for something else.
There's something to be said for tact.

Regardless, this isn't as much for others as it is for myself. If I were in an arguing mood I'd say grammar and technique can be learned so it's not as if that's a huge wall to climb there.

Old
07-27-2013, 11:49 PM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

Since I doubt there's a better place to ask on the site, I'll ask here:

Whenever I'm writing a story, I have trouble connecting plot points. I usually get the basic outline of what the story is, where I want it to go and the major events in the story, often all the way to the ending.

The problem that often arises is transitioning those events to each other. I can get it occasionally, but most of the time, the transitions come out forced and awkward. Which, of course, makes it very jarring to read.

Anyone have a similar problem or advice on what might help?

Blueline Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 12:00 AM
Roboturner913

I majored in Lit and have been writing for my entire adult life, most as a journalist. I finished a time-travel book in my mid-20s that never got picked up, but I've done a little editing and compiling for Pocket Books which does most of the Star Trek novels (had a couple rewrites for the Deep Space Nine anthology Prophecy and Change). I've also been an English instructor on and off over the years, when money gets tight I pick up a night class or two to help pay the bills.

I guess what I am saying is if you wanted to run your story by me I have some idea of what publishers are looking for, even though I haven't been particularly successful myself.

Roboturner913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 12:07 AM
JS19
Pls Sharks win

As a way to pass time in summer, I've started to write screenplays (mainly for DC superheroes since I'm a big fan of their characters, though I'm working on some of my own new concepts).

Is anyone here a screenwriter (as a career)? I'm curious as to how the process of screenwriting and expanding that project to be a TV show/movie works.

JS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 12:17 AM
Dean Ambrose
Just a little crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS19 View Post
As a way to pass time in summer, I've started to write screenplays (mainly for DC superheroes since I'm a big fan of their characters, though I'm working on some of my own new concepts).

Is anyone here a screenwriter (as a career)? I'm curious as to how the process of screenwriting and expanding that project to be a TV show/movie works.
I would also like to know the screenwriter part. It will come in handy when I complete my work.