HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Soldier Field could host college hockey doubleheader

Old
04-24-2012, 05:07 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

vCash: 772
Soldier Field could host college hockey doubleheader

Per 670 The Score in Chicago

Wisconsin-Minnesota and Miami-Notre Dame the matchups, would be held Feb. 17th

Link to follow

IU Hawks fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 07:03 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 50
**** yeah, that's a freaking awesome.... wait a minute....

*double checks that you said 2/17 and not some date during the NFL season, which would make it yet another thing that ****s up the turf*

**** yeah, that's a freaking awesome idea! If I'm still in the area when that happens, I'm almost assuredly there in a heartbeat.

Here's a link, fyi:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...0,219649.story

Talks are still ongoing and it's not finalized as of yet, though.

No Fun Shogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 10:43 PM
AdmiralsFan24

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
Bleh. If Wisconsin is going to have an outdoor game that's likely to be a "home" game, they should do it at Lambeau of Camp Randall.

AdmiralsFan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 11:04 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

Every think maybe they want to play in Chicago to help recruitment and raise the program's profile? Somewhat locally by it being in Chicago, but moreso nationally by it being made into a marquee national event, and not just a UW event.

Old
04-24-2012, 11:12 PM
AdmiralsFan24

Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post
Every think maybe they want to play in Chicago to help recruitment and raise the program's profile? Somewhat locally by it being in Chicago, but moreso nationally by it being made into a marquee national event, and not just a UW event.
Could be but they don't really need the Chicago area. They can get their players from Wisconsin and Minnesota and then supplement the rest of the roster from places like Chicago, St. Louis, New York, Los Angeles and Canada.

Unless of course this would be a tournament hosted by Notre Dame. That would be pretty entertaining.

Old
04-24-2012, 11:22 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

Not saying that they need Chicago, but saying that them playing a doubleheader not at home combined with the 3 other schools playing it could collectively be more beneficial than just playing at Lambeau or Camp Randall again, mainly dependent on the TV coverage they get (with ND in the mix, you can bet NBCSN would want this)

Old
04-25-2012, 12:21 AM
Rocko604

Wonder if this might get Illinois interested in jumping to Div 1 from ACHA, ala Penn State? Money talks, especially in a Big Ten conference. Although their new arena plans doesn't look like they have much of an interest.

Rocko604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 12:25 AM
scotchex

Next couple years will be exciting to see what impact official Big Ten hockey will have.

scotchex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 04:46 AM
TwistedWrister90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko604 View Post
Wonder if this might get Illinois interested in jumping to Div 1 from ACHA, ala Penn State? Money talks, especially in a Big Ten conference. Although their new arena plans doesn't look like they have much of an interest.
they'd have some pretty badass jerseys

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedi...inois-74649048

i always wanted U of I to have a division 1 team when i was younger. definitely would have been a fan and watched the games

TwistedWrister90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 09:34 AM
MurrayBannerman
BBall ATD Champion

vCash: 1625
I'm so there!

MurrayBannerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 09:50 AM
GuelphStormer

bring it on!!

GuelphStormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 11:44 AM
powerstuck
User Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuelphStormer View Post
bring it on!!

Was at the Navy Pier last December, 27th if I remember the date, around 9pm, was windy as hell barely could walk.

powerstuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 01:32 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerstuck View Post
Was at the Navy Pier last December, 27th if I remember the date, around 9pm, was windy as hell barely could walk.
Eek...probably not the best time to visit the best summer city in North America

Old
04-25-2012, 06:57 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko604 View Post
There are off and on rumors that pop up every once in a while about Illinois looking at the possibility, most recently with talk that the founder of Jimmy John's might be willing to foot the bill, but I have zero confidence in the university's ungodly incompetent athletic department and administration to actually get anything done on that front.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nds90 View Post
they'd have some pretty badass jerseys

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedi...inois-74649048
Sadly, the Chief's dead, so we'd probably just have some generic I sweaters.

Old
04-25-2012, 10:13 PM
scotchex

If it weren't for Title IX many more schools would have hockey. Right now most Div1 schools sponsor 3 or 4 extra women's sports to try and balance out football. Football and men's basketball are the only income generators. All the other sports (including mens hockey) lose money. Women's basketball loses the most money of all college sports. I'm getting my data from recently published NCAA reports on sports finances.

I wonder if some schools might drop more of the individual mens sports to feature more team sports like hockey, soccer, and lacrosse in the future.

From the university's perspective, they are in the business of generating future alumni donations. So they want you to have as emotionally intense college experience as possible, so that when you are 50 and have money you'll donate to the school. Or at least pressure the state to give more taxpayer money to the school.

The individual sports (track, swimming, golf, tennis, gymnastics, wrestling, cross country) all lose money. They also don't generate much fan interest or emotional investment.

But team sports do. So losing money on team sports on an operating basis can still make business sense for the university, cause they hope they'll make it up on the back-end years, even decades later.

Football generates huge revenues. Which is why almost all the schools have it. Basketball generates far less, but still some, and is pretty cheap to operate. So everybody has a mens basketball team.

And the men's hockey, lacrosse, and soccer teams all generate some decent revenue -- it's just their expense are even larger. Baseball actually loses the most of all men's college sports just cause they play the longest schedule. More travel=more expenses.

From the college's perspective, though, the value of money-losing team sports is they can provide fantastic emotional bonding to the school. So when you're 50 you still remember that night you and your best friends got drunk at the hockey game and you met a hot girl and you were 20 and life was awesome.

That intense bonding with the school - wearing the school colors, drunkenly singing the school fight song ... doesn't really happen when you hear somebody on your school's track team did well in the 400m hurdles.

To add hockey, most schools think they have to set aside enough funds to run both men's and women's hockey. Making the hurdle 2x as high. Higher actually, since men's hockey generates some decent revenue, while women's hockey is almost pure expense. But they could just add men's hockey and cut one or two of the men's individual sports. I don't expect that to happen, but it's one way around the Title IX problem.

scotchex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 10:25 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

Yeah, Title IX blows. They need to just remove football from the requirements, would make it way easier on a lot of schools, so they wouldn't need woman's rowing teams and crap.

Old
04-27-2012, 11:43 AM
aparch

Quote:
Per 670 The Score in Chicago

Wisconsin-Minnesota and Miami-Notre Dame the matchups, would be held Feb. 17th

Link to follow
Maybe I follow too much over at USCHO.com and not enough here, but I thought this was confirmed except for the dates? Already knew of fans of all four teams who were making plans.

So, if the date is confirmed now (there was talk of it being Thursday-Saturday or Friday-Sunday) as a double header, it should be good to go.

Unless things have changed since I last read/heard.

aparch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 11:45 AM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

Well No Fun's article confirms the date as a DH. Other than that, I don't know what's holding it up from going official. Maybe a TV deal?

Old
04-27-2012, 12:33 PM
Hawkscap

Quote:
Yeah, Title IX blows. They need to just remove football from the requirements, would make it way easier on a lot of schools, so they wouldn't need woman's rowing teams and crap.

How many daughters in sports do you have?

Hawkscap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 03:30 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

Quote:
Originally Posted by topher42 View Post
How many daughters in sports do you have?
Does it matter?

I want my school to allocate it's resources the best it can to make it competitive. Wasting funding on a sport like rowing, which doesn't recruit and basically allows whoever wants to make the team make it (at least at IU it does), in order to fill the requirement is a joke when that money could go to say woman's basketball, soccer, or softball and potentially make them more competitive than they are.

Old
07-09-2012, 04:00 PM
AdmiralsFan24

This will be made official on Wednesday.

Quote:
Madison – The Wisconsin men’s hockey program should receive more national exposure this season when it faces rival Minnesota at Soldier Field in the inaugural Hockey City Classic.

The Hockey City Classic will also feature a game between Notre Dame and Miami University.

A news conference is set for 2 p.m. Wednesday to discusss the event.

Officials from Intersport, a Chicago-based sports and entertainment marketing agency, and the Chicago Park District, are scheduled to discuss the event during a news conference at 2 p.m. Wednesday at Soldier Field.

An official from Intersport said Monday the date of the event would be announced on Wednesday.

However, UW's 2012-'13 schedule lists a game against Minnesota to be played on Feb. 17, with the location and time to be announced.

UW has played two other outdoor games under coach Mike Eaves, both in Wisconsin.

The Badgers defeated Ohio State, 4-2, in front of an announced crowd of 40,890 at Lambeau Field during the 2005-’06 season.

They defeated Michigan, 3-2, in front of a school-record crowd of 55,031 at Camp Randall Stadium during the 2009-’10 season.
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports....html#comments

Old
07-09-2012, 04:20 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

Alright, now they just need to reveal the prices. So long as it's not an arm and a leg (and I'm still in the area), I am so in.

Old
07-12-2012, 11:19 AM
AdmiralsFan24

They have a website up for this now.

http://www.hockeycityclassic.com/

Two weeks of events prior to the games. Two days of free public skating, high school, youth and adult hockey events. Private ice rentals. Tickets go on sale October 1st through ticketmaster though season ticket holders of Wisconsin, Minnesota, Notre Dame, Miami OH and the Bears can purchase tickets in advance.

Old
07-12-2012, 11:31 AM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

Just hope I can go....

Old
07-12-2012, 12:03 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

Soldier Field is really gonna be an incredible venue for hockey with how small they made the field area during the rebuild to make the seats closer to the field. Upper level seats will be great.