HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

NBA "sunbelt" expansion has also failed

Old
02-13-2013, 11:50 PM
AdmiralsFan24

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
It's definitely not just Sun Belt teams. Check out the last two Bucks home games. There are basically empty sections.

http://espn.go.com/nba/photos?gameId=400278502

http://espn.go.com/nba/photos?gameId=400278487

AdmiralsFan24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 12:06 AM
Wizeman*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djp View Post
You don't get out much from your little hole in the wall , do you?

Buffalo doesn't work? another team in tornot buffalo will be fine. the issue is Hamilton---its too close and will draw from their market/fan base. If you look at Buffalo including the Canadian population near with an hr drive Buffalo has well over 3 million people....enough to support a franchise.

The issue with the South---as in----the area of Arkansas/Louisiana over to Caolinas excluding FLA and TX. You have many smaller cities that are strong college sports markets.

Atlanta, Nashville, Charlotte, and Raleigh are loaded with northern transplants. Same true with TX and FL.
This

These markets are loaded with Canadian and Northern US transplants and retirees. They are also loaded with $$$$

So they are hanging on tooth and nail to Arizona. Even if you aint a Yotes fan, lots of people show up to cheer for the Canucks, Red wings, Leafs , etc..........

Wizeman* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 12:19 AM
headsigh
leave at once!

The Pacers are sun belt now?

headsigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 11:11 AM
OKCDevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
To be fair, OKC may not have been a pro basketball market in itself, but basketball does have a rich tradition in the Plains with Kansas being one of the powerhouses of the college game, but also good traditions at OSU, OU, KSU, Wichita State, Creighton, Missouri and even Oklahoma City University who are now a NAIA powerhouse but were a pretty good NCAA program up to the 60s.
Very fair point. I've been told about the tradition at OSU, dating back to the Iba days. They were basically one of the first true powerhouses in college hoops. And yes, Abe Lemons had OCU pretty solid back in the day. There's talk now of OCU moving back to D-I for hoops and baseball in the next few years. That'd be nice.

But yes, basketball on the college level has been strong here. I guess I said what I said because there was ZERO interest in the NBA when the Hornets temporarily came here. You occasionally saw some Mavs fans around, but mostly OKC just had no NBA fans. That changed in a 180 fashion after the Hornets' stay. And now, five years in, the Thunder fairy tale is still going on strong. I'm amazing at the reversal this city has had in regards to the NBA.

OKCDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 12:18 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:
Originally Posted by OKCDevil View Post
Very fair point. I've been told about the tradition at OSU, dating back to the Iba days. They were basically one of the first true powerhouses in college hoops. And yes, Abe Lemons had OCU pretty solid back in the day. There's talk now of OCU moving back to D-I for hoops and baseball in the next few years. That'd be nice.

But yes, basketball on the college level has been strong here. I guess I said what I said because there was ZERO interest in the NBA when the Hornets temporarily came here. You occasionally saw some Mavs fans around, but mostly OKC just had no NBA fans. That changed in a 180 fashion after the Hornets' stay. And now, five years in, the Thunder fairy tale is still going on strong. I'm amazing at the reversal this city has had in regards to the NBA.
what's more impressive, OKCDevil, is how OKC figured out how to keep both Chesepeake Energy Arena and Cox Convention Center, not only operating, and not competing with each other for events, whereas each arena has its major tenant (Thunder @ CEA, & Barons @ CCC, where some cities haven't either figured out how or don't have that option available.

CHRDANHUTCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 01:31 PM
OKCDevil

That's very true too. I'm amazed by that. But it is happening and it works. But OKC just goes to show you what wonders can take place when an entire city pulls in one direction for a common good. Downtown is quite the place when the Barons and Thunder are playing the same night!

OKCDevil is offline   Reply With Quote