HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tim Thomas traded to the Islanders

Old
02-08-2013, 06:21 PM
blitzkriegs

vCash: 500
Beyond not playing this season and having a phantom cap hit, look at this typical-Wang gem below...any one notice a pattern here in cap versus cash pay out? Darn right the Isles are tolling his contract...

http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/...&dlvrit=834390

Thomas, who carries a $5 million salary cap hit, would have been paid a pro-rated $3 million if he had played this season. However, his pro-rated $5 million cap hit has counted against the Bruins' salary cap this season. His trade to the Islanders now would remove that number from the Boston payroll.

blitzkriegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 06:28 PM
A Pointed Stick
Spend? Of Course!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesRock4 View Post
Rick Nash didn't bolt anywhere. He made a 5 year commitment with CBJ and then an 8 year commitment with CBJ. That was their choice to trade him. Could you imagine the outrage here if the Isles traded Tavares?
Yes and no. It was Rick who decided to cut and run by demanding, more and more strongly, a trade. Columbus did the sensible thing which was to trade him before it got so ugly that they got stinko back in return while wading through a worsening relationship with Rick. I don't think John would do that, but if they keep giving him poor linemates, or a poor blueline for support, he is going to get tired of it sooner or later. Maybe he doesn't, maybe he does a Rod Langway and sticks with a perpetual turd of an organization to the bitter end. but will they all do that? Rebuilds done 100% from your core, never adding anyone of consequence until the very very end take a very long time to work, if at all. Our club rode that to 4 cups, but we also added an amazing number of franchise players into the mix early with Bossy, Trotts, Potvin, Gillies, and Smith. We had the goaltender, the first line, and the #1 defenseman right there, followed by excellent high end depth for secondary scoring, muscle, checking, and defense. This club is not that good. I see two franchise players. I see two more possible but far from knowing in terms of years. If the other kids not named Tavares or Hamonic do not pan out, much like Bailey and Okposo have so far not panned out, then what? You guessed it, you get a club like Columbus, who has sucked for a very long time now, which has not improved much despite their high end picks.

The fact we rebuilt and are keeping the core composed of top 10 picks is not unto itself any guarantee that you will build something worth the ten year wait. You could ruin the gems in the pile of mediocre prospects if all you do is surround them with mediocre prospects.

Does anyone here not see the problem we could run into? All they need to do in the short term is move some pieces - hell, use picks too - to fill just two glaring weaknesses on this club and you would provide a very healthy environment for prospects of all ranges to grow into and prosper in, developmentally. Even the dynasty Islanders had that, and you could argue they didn't need it, but Arbour and Torrey both have spoken many times about the importance of the cast of support personnel you provide to develop the kids growing on the NHL club.

That is not what we have here. We have a cheap roster inhibiting development of the core. And even when Wang is forced by the CBA to provide a somewhat minimum salary to work with, he still finds ways to cheat and save money.

How is this acceptable to any of you? Please explain it because I would love to be able to look at this club, that first line insult to Tavares, and call it "acceptable."

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 06:47 PM
InformTheMasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick View Post
Yes and no. It was Rick who decided to cut and run by demanding, more and more strongly, a trade. Columbus did the sensible thing which was to trade him before it got so ugly that they got stinko back in return while wading through a worsening relationship with Rick. I don't think John would do that, but if they keep giving him poor linemates, or a poor blueline for support, he is going to get tired of it sooner or later. Maybe he doesn't, maybe he does a Rod Langway and sticks with a perpetual turd of an organization to the bitter end. but will they all do that? Rebuilds done 100% from your core, never adding anyone of consequence until the very very end take a very long time to work, if at all. Our club rode that to 4 cups, but we also added an amazing number of franchise players into the mix early with Bossy, Trotts, Potvin, Gillies, and Smith. We had the goaltender, the first line, and the #1 defenseman right there, followed by excellent high end depth for secondary scoring, muscle, checking, and defense. This club is not that good. I see two franchise players. I see two more possible but far from knowing in terms of years. If the other kids not named Tavares or Hamonic do not pan out, much like Bailey and Okposo have so far not panned out, then what? You guessed it, you get a club like Columbus, who has sucked for a very long time now, which has not improved much despite their high end picks.

The fact we rebuilt and are keeping the core composed of top 10 picks is not unto itself any guarantee that you will build something worth the ten year wait. You could ruin the gems in the pile of mediocre prospects if all you do is surround them with mediocre prospects.

Does anyone here not see the problem we could run into? All they need to do in the short term is move some pieces - hell, use picks too - to fill just two glaring weaknesses on this club and you would provide a very healthy environment for prospects of all ranges to grow into and prosper in, developmentally. Even the dynasty Islanders had that, and you could argue they didn't need it, but Arbour and Torrey both have spoken many times about the importance of the cast of support personnel you provide to develop the kids growing on the NHL club.

That is not what we have here. We have a cheap roster inhibiting development of the core. And even when Wang is forced by the CBA to provide a somewhat minimum salary to work with, he still finds ways to cheat and save money.

How is this acceptable to any of you? Please explain it because I would love to be able to look at this club, that first line insult to Tavares, and call it "acceptable."
Accepted? No, I don't think anyone accepts it, or finds it acceptable behavior from an owner. I think understood is a better word. Wang has us over a barrel because he is the fella writing the checks and owns the team. I haven't figured out a way to fire the owner just yet.

InformTheMasses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 07:12 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzkriegs View Post
Beyond not playing this season and having a phantom cap hit, look at this typical-Wang gem below...any one notice a pattern here in cap versus cash pay out? Darn right the Isles are tolling his contract...

http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/...&dlvrit=834390

Thomas, who carries a $5 million salary cap hit, would have been paid a pro-rated $3 million if he had played this season. However, his pro-rated $5 million cap hit has counted against the Bruins' salary cap this season. His trade to the Islanders now would remove that number from the Boston payroll.
It does not sound like the the NHL, is gonna let TT contract roll over into next season, count against next season's cap. That may be why Staples said last night, that the isles would not toll TT contract.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/tolling...0908--nhl.html
I asked deputy commissioner Bill Daly whether the Islanders could carry Thomas’s cap hit into subsequent seasons.

“It’s a fair question,” Daly told thn.com via email. “I don’t believe we would carry the cap charge past this year.”

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 08:42 PM
doublechili

vCash: 600
If Thomas retires and makes the Hockey HOF, does he go in as an Islander?

doublechili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 10:07 PM
periferal

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigd View Post
Or how about the Wild who just spent 200mil in free agency and have the same record as us.

Yeah, but at least their owner tries to win.

periferal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 03:52 AM
Steve55

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublechili View Post

I doubt it. Hopefully he plays some games for the team. Most of all I want Ricky to be off this team. IF Wang buys him out, for how long will they have to pay him?

Steve55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 05:48 AM
steveat

I think there actually is a possibility for TT to come back. Someone mentioned that he would want to go to a contender, but I don't think it's like that. TT is probably the most humble guy in the league today. He's not after money, not after glory...I think he believes that he's been a pretty lucky guy and to enjoy what he was given (talent and the cup). If he comes back, it will be because he loves hockey and not for anything else.

Anyway, I don't think the Isles are ready to trade any assets just yet. I figure at the closing of next season is where trading will begin or sometime the following year.

We are at a crossroads with goaltending. I honestly have no idea if Nabby wants to stay or go? His contract s up this year, so I have heard NO discussions about resigning (which is really weird), especially when last year we were all over Nielsen and PA. We are NOT deep at the goalie level. What does this mean? We are gonna have to either trade Nabby before the end of the season or lose him to FA...if so, then we have to hope that TT plays or sign someone in the offseason. (this is me thinking out loud.

What I DO believe about this deal is a precursor to buy Dipi out in the summer, THEREFORE, TT's contract (if tolled) will pretty much negate that and a little more for next season. Then it's just one more year of circumventing the cap until Brooklyn.

Why I believe Wang and Co is doing this..well, because he can. He wants to stick it to Nassau county and not give them any more tax dollars than he has to. He seems like a vindictive guy that will hit you every way from Sunday as payback for not letting him get his way. Well, we are all pretty pissed about not being able to stay.

We aren't a playoff team this year...probably next year, but not this year. We might move Streit as well, since I personally have not heard any news about contract talks (have you guys?). Streit for a first? I'd ask for a 2015 first and see if we can get enough to trade for Mcdavid 8-)

steveat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 09:11 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Does anyone think he'll ever play for the Islanders and if so, was he at his age worth a 2nd rounder?

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 10:17 AM
Renbarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
Does anyone think he'll ever play for the Islanders and if so, was he at his age worth a 2nd rounder?
No, he'll never play for the Islanders.

If he plays this season it would be a bad trade. If they somehow toll and convince him to play with us next season (I doubt it), the trade might be good. Goalies have been fairly solid in late age (recently) so I don't see why TT can't still be a good goalie. The year off would worry me though.

Last edited by Renbarg: 02-09-2013 at 10:39 AM.
Renbarg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 10:29 AM
Stercrazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublechili View Post

That actually made me laugh out loud. We should start a petition on facebook. One of those "get 1 million likes" and he goes in as an Islander.....lol.

Stercrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 10:47 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
With his agent saying post-trade, that nothings changed , he's still not playing this season, I doubt we'll see him.

After giving up a second for 37 games of Vis, I can't say I'd be happy giving up another 2nd to see TT and Nabby splitting 37 games.

If TT were around 30 instead of 37 and interested in playing a couple of full seasons with the isles, I'd feel probably feel differently.

Old
02-09-2013, 10:47 AM
jdr016

Have a weird feeling Thomas is our goalie next year. He seems crazy enough in the head to think he could turn this around!

EDIT: Plus, a $5M cap hit with a $3M salary! Right up Wang's alley!

jdr016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 10:58 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdr016 View Post
Have a weird feeling Thomas is our goalie next year. He seems crazy enough in the head to think he could turn this around!

EDIT: Plus, a $5M cap hit with a $3M salary! Right up Wang's alley!
It does not sound like the NHL, is letting his contract roll over into next season.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...d-goalies.html
I asked deputy commissioner Bill Daly whether the Islanders could carry Thomas’s cap hit into subsequent seasons.

“It’s a fair question,” Daly told thn.com via email. “I don’t believe we would carry the cap charge past this year.”

Old
02-09-2013, 11:02 AM
jdr016

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
It does not sound like the NHL, is letting his contract roll over into next season.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...d-goalies.html

Oh. I read somewhere it was the Islanders option to carry his contract over if they wanted.

jdr016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 11:12 AM
A Pointed Stick
Spend? Of Course!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdr016 View Post
Oh. I read somewhere it was the Islanders option to carry his contract over if they wanted.
I read that as "if he plays next year" for us. So yeah, we can toll, but Wang won't be able use it as cap filler unless he actually plays.

Good for Daly and the league finally standing up to at least one of Wang's cap circumventing games.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 01:13 PM
Bert Marshall days

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveat View Post
What I DO believe about this deal is a precursor to buy Dipi out in the summer, THEREFORE, TT's contract (if tolled) will pretty much negate that and a little more for next season. Then it's just one more year of circumventing the cap until Brooklyn.

Why I believe Wang and Co is doing this..well, because he can. He wants to stick it to Nassau county and not give them any more tax dollars than he has to. He seems like a vindictive guy that will hit you every way from Sunday as payback for not letting him get his way.
True the cap circumventing ends in Brooklyn but I doubt Wang is being vindictive now as payback for getting screwed. More like lowest revenue gets no spending.

Bert Marshall days is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 01:23 PM
Bert Marshall days

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanCrandall View Post

Think what people don't understand completely is when will it change, over 20 years of the same crap, operating with a low budget franchise.
It changes in 2-3 years when they move as several posters have said in this thread.

Never fear, Brooklyn is near!

Bert Marshall days is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 10:52 PM
Degeneration Rex

Anybody catch the Hot Stove on Hockey Night in Canada. Kevin Weeks, Glen Healy and P.J. Stock ripped the Thomas deal. You can watch Hot Stove-

www.cbc.ca/sports/hockeynightincanada

Check around 4:30 into the video.

Last edited by Degeneration Rex: 02-09-2013 at 10:57 PM.
Degeneration Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 12:10 AM
Islander Prophet

can we make him play now?

Islander Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 11:54 AM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
#beLIeve

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/more_...32Ke0UjDo3F0rO

"For the deal in which Garth Wang, er, Charles Snow, sorry, general manager Garth Snow and owner Charles Wang, acquired the suspended Tim Thomas and his $5 million over-35 cap hit so that the club might be able to move veterans such as Lubomir Visnovsky ($5.6 million cap hit), Mark Streit ($4.1 million) and Evgeni Nabokov ($2.75 million) for draft picks at the deadline without falling below the floor, is actually a pretty clever one."

09-10-2013, 11:21 AM
lost35*

really hope this guy is not an Islander, do not see how I can root or support this team if he is on them

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...artner=ya5nbcs

lost35* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2013, 11:23 AM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:
Originally Posted by lost35 View Post
really hope this guy is not an Islander, do not see how I can root or support this team if he is on them

He wants to be a starter.....

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2013, 11:32 AM
BillD

Quote:
Originally Posted by lost35 View Post

I have no idea what Thomas could have done to you make such a statement.
The guy was never on the Islanders (his contract was owned by us), he never did anything outrageous to any of our players, never said anything negative that I am aware of.......but his signing is reason for you to become an ex-fan?
You are entitled to your feelings, but my conclusion would be that you are not much of a fan to begin with.
If TT is still as good as he was when he left the game, and he doesn't cost too much, I would have no problem signing him if it makes NYI a stronger team.

BillD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2013, 11:38 AM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
He wants to be a starter.....
Welcome to Russia !

scott99 is offline   Reply With Quote