HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Bears/NFL Thread #16 - 2013 Offseason edition ‎

Closed Thread

Old
03-04-2013, 10:40 AM
digdug41982

vCash: 50
I like all of Bowen's suggestions. It will be interesting to see if someone like Warmack falls.

Old
03-04-2013, 10:58 AM
MurrayBannerman
Uno Besto Washoooooo

vCash: 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
I like all of Bowen's suggestions. It will be interesting to see if someone like Warmack falls.
If he falls, I'll have a party for the whole forum.

Old
03-04-2013, 11:03 AM
madgoat33

vCash: 500
tackles are about as meaningful a stat as how many buckeye leaves an osu player has on his helmet.

Old
03-04-2013, 11:07 AM
MurrayBannerman
Uno Besto Washoooooo

Quote:
Originally Posted by madgoat33 View Post
tackles are about as meaningful a stat as how many buckeye leaves an osu player has on his helmet.
Don't tell that to Pat Angerer.

Old
03-04-2013, 11:46 AM
Recoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorMenT View Post
I just have no respect for people that get DUI's that's all. Never said not to pick him, though I wouldn't.
For the record, since you seem to be taking a rather black-and-white approach to life, let me inform you of how the law/legal system works.

Being ARRESTED for a DUI is not the same thing as being CONVICTED of a DUI. We have this thing in the US called due process. Innocent until proven guilty. Perhaps you have heard of it. When you read things like this about players/athletes it is just about their arrests. The entire system is set up to get as many people into the courts as they can. A police officer needs very little to actually make an arrest for a DUI. I have had two friends be arrested and not only found not-guilty, but had their records completely expunged (of course they still had to pay a lawyer and fees). They had MAYBE 2 drinks on the entire night, and one of them wasn't even a legal arrest.

So before you decide to start being so quick to judge, perhaps you should inform yourself about how our lovely police and legal systems work.

Old
03-04-2013, 11:50 AM
Recoil

I read Bowen's article and found it interesting. The more time goes by, here is what I'd like the Bears to look for in the first round:

OG - I think we need more inside pass protection/run blocking than we do on the exterior at least for 1st round talent
WR - Mainly, Travon Austin. I think this kid could be amazing, and he would replace both the hole Knox left, but Hester as well.
TE - I wouldn't complain if they got Eifert. We need TE help in a big way

That's mainly it for me in the first round. I agree Tackle is a need, but Webb was a lot better last season, and I do hope Carimi can come around. I also think we may be able to get a servicable Tackle later in the draft, or via Free Agency if we re-work some contracts and make room.

Old
03-04-2013, 11:51 AM
TorMenT
Go Blackhawks!

If he wasn't convicted, then my mistake. If he was convicted, then I stand by my statement.

Old
03-04-2013, 11:54 AM
Illinihockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recoil View Post
I read Bowen's article and found it interesting. The more time goes by, here is what I'd like the Bears to look for in the first round:

OG - I think we need more inside pass protection/run blocking than we do on the exterior at least for 1st round talent
WR - Mainly, Travon Austin. I think this kid could be amazing, and he would replace both the hole Knox left, but Hester as well.
TE - I wouldn't complain if they got Eifert. We need TE help in a big way

That's mainly it for me in the first round. I agree Tackle is a need, but Webb was a lot better last season, and I do hope Carimi can come around. I also think we may be able to get a servicable Tackle later in the draft, or via Free Agency if we re-work some contracts and make room.
There are 2 OG that I think you can take there, Warmack or Cooper. If both are gone, forget about it. With tackles, I want no part of DJ Fluker. Guy is slow footed, not sure he'll be an impact guy, especially not in year 1. If a guy like Johnson slips down to them somehow, then ya, you jump all over him, but I don't want a 2nd rate tackle to try to fill a need.

If it comes down to Austin or Eifert, I want Austin but wouldn't be super dissapointed with either.

I'd pass on Ogletree and T'eo.

Old
03-04-2013, 11:59 AM
Recoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorMenT View Post
If he wasn't convicted, then my mistake. If he was convicted, then I stand by my statement.
He wasn't convinced because there's no way he could be convicted "yet." It takes WEEKS and often MONTHS for these things to play out. It's a horribly inefficient system. When news breaks of these things, all you hear about are the arrests, never the outcome. A lot of assumptions tend to get made...

Old
03-04-2013, 12:00 PM
Recoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinihockey View Post
There are 2 OG that I think you can take there, Warmack or Cooper. If both are gone, forget about it. With tackles, I want no part of DJ Fluker. Guy is slow footed, not sure he'll be an impact guy, especially not in year 1. If a guy like Johnson slips down to them somehow, then ya, you jump all over him, but I don't want a 2nd rate tackle to try to fill a need.

If it comes down to Austin or Eifert, I want Austin but wouldn't be super dissapointed with either.

I'd pass on Ogletree and T'eo.
I agree with 100% of your reply. My thoughts were exactly the same.

Old
03-04-2013, 12:03 PM
MurrayBannerman
Uno Besto Washoooooo

Patterson > Austin

Old
03-04-2013, 12:36 PM
Recoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayBannerman View Post
Patterson > Austin
Patterson = Off the board by the time the Bears pick. Heck, after his combine, Austin may be as well.

Although, Patterson is a 6'3" 205 Lbs WR. We don't need 3 big WRs, having a smaller quick slot guy with the speed to take the top off a defense is more what we are looking for, and why Austin would be the better pick for the Bears IMO.

Old
03-04-2013, 01:00 PM
MurrayBannerman
Uno Besto Washoooooo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recoil View Post
Patterson = Off the board by the time the Bears pick. Heck, after his combine, Austin may be as well.

Although, Patterson is a 6'3" 205 Lbs WR. We don't need 3 big WRs, having a smaller quick slot guy with the speed to take the top off a defense is more what we are looking for, and why Austin would be the better pick for the Bears IMO.
So are guys like Johnson and Warmack, so I guess it would be fitting to bring up Patterson.

Patterson can also take the top off of the defense and go up to get the ball. He actually has a shot at being a #1 receiver somewhere. That said, we still don't need a WR nearly as much as other things.

Old
03-04-2013, 01:17 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Miami has tagged DT Starks. Long will hit free Agency.

Old
03-04-2013, 01:20 PM
digdug41982

Nice, make that man a Bear! Opens up options in the draft if they can get Long.

Old
03-04-2013, 01:21 PM
Chris Hansen
Versteeg's Concubine

Long apparently wants 10+ million.

If he doesn't chop that down by quite a bit, it's a no-go. Especially considering his bad season last year.

Old
03-04-2013, 01:24 PM
Illinihockey

Read a quote about Patterson where a GM said he isn't very smart, you'll have to simplify your game plan for him.

Old
03-04-2013, 01:26 PM
Sarava

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
Nice, make that man a Bear! Opens up options in the draft if they can get Long.
He was one of the worst LT's in the NFL last year. Why do we want him?!?

Old
03-04-2013, 01:27 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Long may want that much, but he won't get it. Guy would help us for sure and it really looks like he gave up on the Fins... can't blame him for that

Old
03-04-2013, 01:34 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 5113
Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if he did get that much. There's going to be some team out there willing to throw money at the biggest OL free agent, especially if it turns into a bidding war between multiple teams.

Old
03-04-2013, 01:45 PM
Sarava

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if he did get that much. There's going to be some team out there willing to throw money at the biggest OL free agent, especially if it turns into a bidding war between multiple teams.
Right and let's hope it's not the Bears. Paying a guy for what he used to be a few years ago isn't a very good idea.

Old
03-04-2013, 01:47 PM
Illinihockey

Pro Football Weekly's draft guide comes out tomorrow, will be picking it up again this year.

Old
03-04-2013, 01:51 PM
Recoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinihockey View Post
Pro Football Weekly's draft guide comes out tomorrow, will be picking it up again this year.
Nice! I think I'll be doing the same. It's always a good read.

Old
03-04-2013, 02:34 PM
Illinihockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayBannerman View Post
So are guys like Johnson and Warmack, so I guess it would be fitting to bring up Patterson.

Patterson can also take the top off of the defense and go up to get the ball. He actually has a shot at being a #1 receiver somewhere. That said, we still don't need a WR nearly as much as other things.
Lots of it depends on when teams get dumb with QB's. Remember Ponder and Locker went in the top 10 a few years ago? Have to hope some teams get dumb and Geno Smith and Matt Barkley both go high, then maybe some of these guys start slipping and make it to the Bears.

Also, sounds like Jared Cook will not be tagged as people thought.

Old
03-04-2013, 02:39 PM
digdug41982

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarava View Post
He was one of the worst LT's in the NFL last year. Why do we want him?!?
He wasn't healthy. I'm willing to bet he'll bounce back. If there are other options in free agency, let's look into them too. We all know how rare it is to see a left tackle in free agency though. You're never going to get a guy at the very top of his game because he would have been retained.

Closed Thread