HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Notices

Official Bears/NFL Thread #16 - 2013 Offseason edition ‎

Closed Thread

Old
03-13-2013, 03:18 PM
Recoil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinihockey View Post
It also helps that the Titans signed Levitre. They were always mocked as taking one of the top guards. Rams always mocked as taking a tackle so if they sign Long, maybe they use that pick somewhere else.
Bills are in the running for Geno Smith, so they are likely out. They wouldn't take a guard that high anyway I'd imagine.

The Titans are out of the running now that they have Levitre.

The Chargers are a legitimate possibility, and they are just a couple picks ahead of us, since they lost Vasquez. I wouldn't be surprised if they take one of those two simply because I felt last year that 3 of the Chargers picks were guys that we wanted and they snagged them just ahead of us. That could happen again.

The Jets are also a possibility, but honestly, who the hell knows what those crazies will do.

Old
03-13-2013, 03:28 PM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 10592
Imagine getting Warmack and Jones.

Bushrod-Warmack-Garza-Carimi-Webb

Jones could spell any of of them or take their starting spot.

Old
03-13-2013, 03:39 PM
Illinihockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recoil View Post
Bills are in the running for Geno Smith, so they are likely out. They wouldn't take a guard that high anyway I'd imagine.

The Titans are out of the running now that they have Levitre.

The Chargers are a legitimate possibility, and they are just a couple picks ahead of us, since they lost Vasquez. I wouldn't be surprised if they take one of those two simply because I felt last year that 3 of the Chargers picks were guys that we wanted and they snagged them just ahead of us. That could happen again.

The Jets are also a possibility, but honestly, who the hell knows what those crazies will do.
Every mock I've seen has the Charges taking a tackle (usually Lane Johnson).

And ya with the Jets, who the hell knows!

Old
03-13-2013, 03:41 PM
Illinihockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
Imagine getting Warmack and Jones.

Bushrod-Warmack-Garza-Carimi-Webb

Jones could spell any of of them or take their starting spot.
I'm guessing you'd put Jones at right tackle and let him learn the calls and he slides over to center next year.

Bushrod-Warmack-Garza-Jones-Webb

Old
03-13-2013, 03:46 PM
Recoil

Quote:
Every mock I've seen has the Charges taking a tackle (usually Lane Johnson).

And ya with the Jets, who the hell knows!
True, but that was before the Chargers lost Vazquez in Free Agency. I think you have to believe they will at least consider Warmack or Cooper.

Old
03-13-2013, 03:48 PM
Illinihockey

Quote:
True, but that was before the Chargers lost Vazquez in Free Agency. I think you have to believe they will at least consider Warmack or Cooper.
Agreed but I think they'd go tackle before guard at 11.

Old
03-13-2013, 03:48 PM
Recoil

Quote:
I'm guessing you'd put Jones at right tackle and let him learn the calls and he slides over to center next year.

Bushrod-Warmack-Garza-Jones-Webb
One point here. If we get a starting caliber Center, why would we assume Garza gets the job? He has experience playing in the NFL, but that's about it. He is getting old, and has been declining the last couple of seasons. As far as a rookie "learning the calls" well the entire offensive line has to "learn the calls" this year with an entirely new coaching staff and system. The only one who may know the calls is Bushrod, and that's if Kromer runs the same system as he did in New Orleans.

Old
03-13-2013, 03:49 PM
Recoil

Quote:
Agreed but I think they'd go tackle before guard at 11.
Hopefully for us, this is true.

Old
03-13-2013, 03:50 PM
Illinihockey

Quote:
One point here. If we get a starting caliber Center, why would we assume Garza gets the job? He has experience playing in the NFL, but that's about it. He is getting old, and has been declining the last couple of seasons. As far as a rookie "learning the calls" well the entire offensive line has to "learn the calls" this year with an entirely new coaching staff and system. The only one who may know the calls is Bushrod, and that's if Kromer runs the same system as he did in New Orleans.
Fair point, but I think Garza was fine last year. I would definitely not be opposed to putting Jones at center and letting Garza slid over to guard. Actually in some offenses the guard makes the line calls anyway. Jones seems like a really smart kid so I think he could catch on pretty fast anyway.

Old
03-13-2013, 03:58 PM
Illinihockey

I wish we didn't have to wait over a month after the start of free agency for the draft. 6 and 1/2 weeks....ridiculous!

Old
03-13-2013, 04:04 PM
Cullksinikers

My first reaction to hearing Wes Welker is getting $6 million per year from the Broncos is that Greg Jennings can remove the "for sale" sign from his house.

Old
03-13-2013, 04:05 PM
MurrayBannerman
BBall ATD Champion

vCash: 1625
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cullksinikers View Post
My first reaction to hearing Wes Welker is getting $6 million per year from the Broncos is that Greg Jennings can remove the "for sale" sign from his house.
Why would he commute to Minneapolis from Green Bay?

Old
03-13-2013, 04:09 PM
Cullksinikers

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayBannerman View Post
Why would he commute to Minneapolis from Green Bay?
Quote:
Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne
As @TomPelissero reported last night, hearing that the #Vikings really cooled on Greg Jennings. WR asked for too much money.
He's not going anywhere. The contract Greg Jennings can reasonably command will be in the range of the Vikings and Packers. He'll pick staying where he lives and Rodgers over Ponder every day of the week and twice on Sundays.

Old
03-13-2013, 04:16 PM
MurrayBannerman
BBall ATD Champion

Quote:
He's not going anywhere. The contract Greg Jennings can reasonably command will be in the range of the Vikings and Packers. He'll pick staying where he lives and Rodgers over Ponder every day of the week and twice on Sundays.
Just saw the Packers offered him 10 mil a year. Please do that. I can't wait to see how terribly that works out.

Old
03-13-2013, 04:31 PM
Illinihockey

The NFL draft still is more than one month away, but Chicago Bears general manager Phil Emery already is actively soliciting draft-day trade partners.

Signing free agents Jermon Bushrod and Martellus Bennett gives him the flexibility to do that.

"That’s why I’m so excited about the two players we were able to sign so far, it’s given us so much flexibility," he said. "To put it bluntly, we’re open for business. If teams want to talk to us about trading back, we’re all ears."

If the Bears had not signed Bushrod and Bennett, they likely would have been forced to stay put with the 20th pick in the draft and choose a player to fill one of those two critical needs. As it stands, they will have the option of moving down and picking up extra draft choices, assuming they can find a draft partner.

Moving down in the draft is especially appealing to Emery for a couple of reasons. The Bears have a lot of bare spots on their roster, and a lot of age in areas. And they also have only five draft picks as a result of trades for wide receiver Brandon Marshall and defensive tackle Brian Price, who was cut in training camp.

"We’re not going to pass up on a really good player at 20 who we feel will have an immediate impact on winning," Emery said. "But if the draft has strengths and we have the opportunity to trade back, we’re very open."

Old
03-13-2013, 04:37 PM
Cullksinikers

Quote:
Just saw the Packers offered him 10 mil a year. Please do that. I can't wait to see how terribly that works out.
That was from someone who clearly didn't realize that the offer was made in a point in time Finley was halfway out the door. He is going to stay in all likelihood. With both in the picture, Greg can get as much as $7.5 million per from the Pack but nothing more. With Welker getting $6 million per, I don't know if Greg will even get over $7 million. There's a heck of a chance he returns. If it's for like three years, I'm down.

Old
03-13-2013, 04:40 PM
MurrayBannerman
BBall ATD Champion

Quote:
That was from someone who clearly didn't realize that the offer was made in a point in time Finley was halfway out the door. He is going to stay in all likelihood. With both in the picture, Greg can get as much as $7.5 million per from the Pack but nothing more. With Welker getting $6 million per, I don't know if Greg will even get over $7 million. There's a heck of a chance he returns. If it's for like three years, I'm down.
If you want to keep him, you don't just go sike and give him less money than you offered earlier today

Old
03-13-2013, 04:43 PM
Cullksinikers

Quote:
If you want to keep him, you don't just go sike and give him less money than you offered earlier today
He should have taken the $10 million when he had the chance. The Packers don't need Greg.

Old
03-13-2013, 04:44 PM
MurrayBannerman
BBall ATD Champion

Quote:
He should have taken the $10 million when he had the chance. The Packers don't need Greg.
If they offered him 10 million a year, they obviously think he's worthwhile to keep.

Old
03-13-2013, 04:46 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

vCash: 772
Quote:
I'd live in the Twin Cities over Green Bay any day, as would any sane human.

From a football perspective, yeah, another story

Old
03-13-2013, 04:48 PM
Gootie
Thug of the Year

vCash: 1868
Quote:
The NFL draft still is more than one month away, but Chicago Bears general manager Phil Emery already is actively soliciting draft-day trade partners.

Signing free agents Jermon Bushrod and Martellus Bennett gives him the flexibility to do that.

"Thats why Im so excited about the two players we were able to sign so far, its given us so much flexibility," he said. "To put it bluntly, were open for business. If teams want to talk to us about trading back, were all ears."

If the Bears had not signed Bushrod and Bennett, they likely would have been forced to stay put with the 20th pick in the draft and choose a player to fill one of those two critical needs. As it stands, they will have the option of moving down and picking up extra draft choices, assuming they can find a draft partner.

Moving down in the draft is especially appealing to Emery for a couple of reasons. The Bears have a lot of bare spots on their roster, and a lot of age in areas. And they also have only five draft picks as a result of trades for wide receiver Brandon Marshall and defensive tackle Brian Price, who was cut in training camp.

"Were not going to pass up on a really good player at 20 who we feel will have an immediate impact on winning," Emery said. "But if the draft has strengths and we have the opportunity to trade back, were very open."
Great to hear this

If a Warmack or Cooper is there you obviously take him. If not, move down some spots and pick up an extra 2nd or 3rd.

Old
03-13-2013, 04:52 PM
Cullksinikers

Quote:
If they offered him 10 million a year, they obviously think he's worthwhile to keep.
Right, but they like the way Finley finished last year and changed his attitude. They can't give Jennings $10 million a year and also keep Jermichael. I don't like Jermichael at all. I'd flip Jermichael for a third-round pick and use a 2nd to sign Pitta to a contract. Then maybe Jennings comes back. If not, you get a guy for a bargain or draft someone in the third round with one of your picks that round.

Old
03-13-2013, 04:55 PM
MurrayBannerman
BBall ATD Champion

Quote:
Right, but they like the way Finley finished last year and changed his attitude. They can't give Jennings $10 million a year and also keep Jermichael. I don't like Jermichael at all. I'd flip Jermichael for a third-round pick and use a 2nd to sign Pitta to a contract. Then maybe Jennings comes back. If not, you get a guy for a bargain or draft someone in the third round with one of your picks that round.
Jermichael Finley will not land you a 3rd round pick.

Old
03-13-2013, 04:57 PM
Cullksinikers

Quote:
Jermichael Finley will not land you a 3rd round pick.
It's not out of the question. The difference is that the Ravens had to clear salary when they dealt Boldin. Teams like San Francisco and Minnesota had leverage in negotations with Ozzy about getting Boldin. Boldin was worth more than a 6th, but the Ravens had to get rid of him.

Jermichael is signed and has potential still. Someone could cough one up.

Old
03-13-2013, 05:19 PM
MurrayBannerman
BBall ATD Champion

Quote:
It's not out of the question. The difference is that the Ravens had to clear salary when they dealt Boldin. Teams like San Francisco and Minnesota had leverage in negotations with Ozzy about getting Boldin. Boldin was worth more than a 6th, but the Ravens had to get rid of him.

Jermichael is signed and has potential still. Someone could cough one up.
You were very close to releasing him. The leverage you may have had is gone.

Closed Thread