HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Bears/NFL Thread #16 - 2013 Offseason edition ‎

Closed Thread

Old
03-14-2013, 04:56 PM
Cullksinikers

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gootie View Post
If you're taking a RB in the first round it better be a damn Peterson-like back.
We need someone. DuJuan Harris is awesome, but he's not a between-the-tackles bell cow. We need a legitimate running back to ease the pressure off Rodgers, set up play-action, etc. However, I'd like to see something done to the defense. As I've said before, they can't win a Super Bowl with their current defense.

Old
03-14-2013, 05:55 PM
madgoat33

Steven Jackson had so many miles on him I'm not sure why he was even considered a desirable target.

Old
03-14-2013, 07:16 PM
Kurtosis
Trying Not To Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by madgoat33 View Post
Steven Jackson had so many miles on him I'm not sure why he was even considered a desirable target.
In an offense which doesn't require him to shoulder the load he can be highly effective.

Old
03-14-2013, 07:49 PM
Cullksinikers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtosis View Post
In an offense which doesn't require him to shoulder the load he can be highly effective.
I probably would have gambled and taken him at that deal if I was the GM of the Pack, but maybe Jackson wanted to be in Atlanta.

Old
03-14-2013, 11:45 PM
MurrayBannerman
Incog-Theo

vCash: 2660
Jennings expected to sign in Minnesota

Old
03-15-2013, 02:52 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

vCash: 50
I'd take Jackson on a Pass first offense without thinking about it. Guy is still a great RB. Packers missed on him.

Old
03-15-2013, 10:09 AM
Recoil

He may not have a ton left in the tank, but let's remember he was never a speedster, he was a ground-and-pound guy that had above average speed. That's something the Packers could really have used, and I think the Falcons will make good use of.

Old
03-15-2013, 10:13 AM
RayFIN
Registered Grouch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recoil View Post
He may not have a ton left in the tank, but let's remember he was never a speedster, he was a ground-and-pound guy that had above average speed. That's something the Packers could really have used, and I think the Falcons will make good use of.
Eh, Falcons aren't a ground and pound team. They'd be better off with a guy like Sproles... And no, Jacquizz is not that guy. Jackson can catch the ball, and was probably underutilized in the passing game the last few years, but I don't see him having a huge impact on the Falcons. Just too old.

Old
03-15-2013, 10:17 AM
Illinihockey

Nick Roach is a Raider

Old
03-15-2013, 10:19 AM
Illinihockey

Mike Mulligan said today that the Bears had a contract ready to go with Loadholt and then his agent went to Minnesota and they matched the deal. The Bears then increased their offer but Loadholt took what Minnesota offered. Apparently they wanted him before Bushrod.

Old
03-15-2013, 10:35 AM
Recoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinihockey View Post
Mike Mulligan said today that the Bears had a contract ready to go with Loadholt and then his agent went to Minnesota and they matched the deal. The Bears then increased their offer but Loadholt took what Minnesota offered. Apparently they wanted him before Bushrod.
To me, that means they felt that Webb is passable as a LT, and that they are very unsure about Carimi. They might be OK with Carimi at Guard (but I wouldn't make that call until camp). Still, Webb played RT before, so I think our Plan B worked out just fine.

I still say the interior needs to be upgraded. I'm not solid at ANY of the Guard/Center positions. I was fine with Lance Louis before he blew out his ACL. Now, who knows how he will play when he comes back and for that matter, when will he be back? Mid Season?

I expect us to draft a Guard at some point in the draft, possibly a Center as well if we can get enough picks. (although LB is certainly looking like a requirement in the first two rounds).

We really need to find a partner and trade down a little bit. Need more picks.

Old
03-15-2013, 10:39 AM
Illinihockey

Quote:

I still say the interior needs to be upgraded. I'm not solid at ANY of the Guard/Center positions. I was fine with Lance Louis before he blew out his ACL. Now, who knows how he will play when he comes back and for that matter, when will he be back? Mid Season?
Lance Louis isn't on the Bears anymore.

Old
03-15-2013, 10:59 AM
Recoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinihockey View Post
Lance Louis isn't on the Bears anymore.
Yes, he's a UFA. What I meant there was before he blew out his ACL, I'm sure he was on the Bears radar to resign --- in fact I still think he is. He isn't going to get a ton of attention due to his injury right now, so I actually do expect him back, it's a matter of when he can play, and how well.

Old
03-15-2013, 11:02 AM
RayFIN
Registered Grouch

Ed Reed and the Texans came close to reaching a contract last night, and Reed is still in Houston this morning. Sounds like they might reach a deal any minute, but I'll believe it when I see it. Reed is a really odd dude.

Oh, and Scrabble is in San Francisco. I still think he has the talent and tools, just a matter of is the heart there or not.

Old
03-15-2013, 11:19 AM
digdug41982

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayP View Post
Ed Reed and the Texans came close to reaching a contract last night, and Reed is still in Houston this morning. Sounds like they might reach a deal any minute, but I'll believe it when I see it. Reed is a really odd dude.

Oh, and Scrabble is in San Francisco. I still think he has the talent and tools, just a matter of is the heart there or not.
Wow, 49ers/Texans super bowl. Nothing the Bears can do is going to get them anywhere near that S.F. team. Way too much talent. Let's just hope somehow someone else eliminates them.

Old
03-15-2013, 11:21 AM
Illinihockey

San Fran and Seattle showing why its so important to draft an impact QB. They can spend so much on other players because their QB is making next to nothing.

Old
03-15-2013, 11:22 AM
RayFIN
Registered Grouch

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
Wow, 49ers/Texans super bowl. Nothing the Bears can do is going to get them anywhere near that S.F. team. Way too much talent. Let's just hope somehow someone else eliminates them.
Yeah, I try to stay pretty optimistic, but I don't see much right now that says we are a legit Super Bowl contender. It is the NFL, so anything can happen, especially with a new coach and scheme that the NFL hasn't seen in quite a while... but I'm keeping my expectations realistic. Going to be tough to get passed a healthy San Francisco or Seattle.

Old
03-15-2013, 11:25 AM
Cullksinikers

San Francisco is going to get Woodson and Scrabble. Asomugha is more likely to turn it around than Woodson. The dude can't cover. I hope he starts for San Fran since he's a significant downgrade from Goldson.

They'll either continue to fall apart or get a late second wind.

Old
03-15-2013, 11:27 AM
RayFIN
Registered Grouch

I can see Scrabble finding the fountain of youth, but I think Woodson is done. Woodson will be 37 in early October.

Old
03-15-2013, 11:30 AM
Cullksinikers

Quote:
I can see Scrabble finding the fountain of youth, but I think Woodson is done. Woodson will be 37 in early October.
He's easily my favorite player of all-time, but he is relying on instinct at this point. There are plenty of guys in the league with smarts and skill, so he gets burned all the time.

Old
03-15-2013, 11:35 AM
MurrayBannerman
Incog-Theo

vCash: 2660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cullksinikers View Post
He's easily my favorite player of all-time, but he is relying on instinct at this point. There are plenty of guys in the league with smarts and skill, so he gets burned all the time.
I don't think there's a whole lot wrong with him being a nickel-corner/blitz safety. To be perfectly honest, I wouldn't use him to cover anyone at all. He's a situational player.

Old
03-15-2013, 11:44 AM
digdug41982

Quote:
With that defense, they can basically play one man down and let Woodson ball hawk. I wouldn't be surprised if he racks up a bunch of INTs and isn't necessarily considered as good as his stats. Nevertheless, interesting idea to bring him in and he is a beast at getting his hands on the football, which is all that should be expected of him when he is on the field.

Old
03-15-2013, 11:47 AM
Recoil

Quote:
Yeah, I try to stay pretty optimistic, but I don't see much right now that says we are a legit Super Bowl contender. It is the NFL, so anything can happen, especially with a new coach and scheme that the NFL hasn't seen in quite a while... but I'm keeping my expectations realistic. Going to be tough to get passed a healthy San Francisco or Seattle.
IMO the big hope here is that defenses figure out the Read-Option. Both SF and Seattle were successful because of this. It was something relatively new this year and took teams by surprise. Defenses do tend to figure out all gimmicks (such as the Wildcat). Hopefully the Bears can work out how to stop these guys, or at least limit it's effectiveness. Both these teams are still VERY good, but at least if teams can stop one of their main tactics on offense, they will have a fighting chance.

Old
03-15-2013, 11:50 AM
digdug41982

Quote:
IMO the big hope here is that defenses figure out the Read-Option. Both SF and Seattle were successful because of this. It was something relatively new this year and took teams by surprise. Defenses do tend to figure out all gimmicks (such as the Wildcat). Hopefully the Bears can work out how to stop these guys, or at least limit it's effectiveness. Both these teams are still VERY good, but at least if teams can stop one of their main tactics on offense, they will have a fighting chance.
The Bears need more speed and the linebacker position or they'll continue to get burnt by these teams. That means upgrading Urlacher with someone young and talented through the draft. Obviously not T'eo, more likely Ogletree but we probably have to trade up.

Old
03-15-2013, 11:55 AM
RayFIN
Registered Grouch

Quote:
With that defense, they can basically play one man down and let Woodson ball hawk. I wouldn't be surprised if he racks up a bunch of INTs and isn't necessarily considered as good as his stats. Nevertheless, interesting idea to bring him in and he is a beast at getting his hands on the football, which is all that should be expected of him when he is on the field.
If you want a guy who specializes in that, then just splurge and really go for it and pay Ed Reed.

Quote:
I think Seattle could adjust and that they'd be fine with all their weapons. San Francisco would struggle offensively when the read-option is figured out. They don't have the tools offensively that Seattle does. Seattle can still run the ball 25 times with Lynch and a few more times with Harvin. Gore is washed up, and I don't think LaMichael James is anything more than a change of pace back in the NFL. Crabtree is a good WR, but not a difference maker like Brandon Marshall, Calvin Johnson, etc.

Closed Thread