HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Alexander Ovechkin

Old
03-13-2013, 06:52 AM
bonzaibondra12

vCash: 500
Trade Backstrom but keep OV? You trolling? 19 is 3 times the player OV is at early two thirds the cap hit.

OV has 0 pts and -6 in his last three games. He plays no defense, floats around, hits nowhere near as hard, and had 0 shots against a depleted Carolina d.

bonzaibondra12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 09:14 AM
g00n
abides

Way too much homerism and player worship in the world of DC hockey. Just last night Locker was grading the phases of the Caps game in the first half of the season and iirc never gave them anything below a "C", which should mean "average"...for a team near the bottom of the league. Wha???

GMGM has repeatedly gone into trade deadlines or the offseason claiming he likes where they are, isn't going to do anything "crazy", the defense is fine, etc etc. And the same things happen every year, with all the things that made this team briefly best in the league gradually falling away.

Q: How many players are left from the Prez Trophy roster 3 years ago?
A: 14 of the 38 players who appeared on the 09-10 roster are currently Caps (and 4 are injured).

This is NOT that "Rock the Red" juggernaut that put up 121 points and won 3/4 of their games with a +85 in total goal differential. Half the team on the ice each night is different from that high-flying squad of a few years ago. And most of those that are still here were bit players back then, or just breaking into the league (like MP85, Carlson and Alzner with around 20 games each, Nervy played 17, Beagle came up for 7 games, etc).

Your only regulars still out there are Ovechkin, Backstrom, Fehr and Schultz. If Green, Laich and Poti ever get healthy, they will count, too. There's your "core".

Nobody in the organization should be untouchable.

g00n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 09:21 AM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

vCash: 50
How in the world did he ever become core. Never underestimate the power of being plus fiddy

I am thinking Sarge's next contract will be 3.5M x 4.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 09:42 AM
SlappaDaBass

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
How in the world did he ever become core. Never underestimate the power of being plus fiddy

I am thinking Sarge's next contract will be 3.5M x 4.
It really makes me question my sanity when we all see #55 on the ice playing worse than a road cone and have GMGM/coach continually start him in this league. I would really like to know what is said during his evaluations when GMGM and Oates sit him in their office.

"You know you really went out there and gave it your all and while you were personally responsible for 2 goals, giving it your best is all that we ask. We're moving you from D3 to D1 where you'll start alongside Poti. Enjoy the promotion, you've earned it!"

SlappaDaBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 12:17 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bananas View Post
I love all these people saying Ov has a low hockey IQ. He's got enough of it to see that this team is a lost cause and stop trying.
That type of attitude is exactly what you don't want from your Superstar franchise centerpiece.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 12:29 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

With his goal last night, Stankos is scoring at a 63 goal pace.

BrooklynCapsFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 12:37 PM
Lawrencejame

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
With his goal last night, Stankos is scoring at a 63 goal pace.
What does that get him, a cookie? Stamkos has been known to be a streaky scorer, so if he doesn't keep that pace I wouldn't be surprised. Obviously your saying stamkos is better then ovechkin, why you would even bring that up is interesting, but theres alot of arguments either way. Prime vs. Prime, teammates, etc., lets save that for another post shall we.

Caps fans are those among the most bipolar fans in hockey. Ovi could score a hattrick on thursday and half of you would be saying hes the best player in the world.

Lightning arn't any better then the caps are right now.

Lawrencejame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 12:38 PM
kicksavedave
yeahright

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnydaycrash View Post
Don't think I can handle another Scott Stevens.

Before we trade said 27 year old 2 time Hart winner, can we fire the effing GM first?????
This one single sentence pretty much sums of HF Caps board for me and is about all we need to say. I don't trust McPhee to get proper value for OVi, or to use the parts he gets back properly.

Fire the fool who built a garbage team around a superstar, including 27 coaches/different systems in 3 years.

GMGM doesn't deserve another rebuild. That task must belong to a new leader. That leader can make up his own mind what to do with Ovi.

kicksavedave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 12:39 PM
Lawrencejame

Quote:
Originally Posted by kicksavedave View Post
This one single sentence pretty much sums of HF Caps board for me and is about all we need to say. I don't trust McPhee to get proper value for OVi, or to use the parts he gets back properly.

Fire the fool who built a garbage team around a superstar, including 27 coaches/different systems in 3 years.

GMGM doesn't deserve another rebuild. That task must belong to a new leader. That leader can make up his own mind what to do with Ovi.
I'm all down for that, but what GM is worthy of it?

Old
03-13-2013, 12:56 PM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrencejame View Post
In before Burke.

I'd be in for that dude someone mentioned before from Detroit. He'd at least know what a good player development system looks like.

ChibiPooky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 01:03 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Jim Nill, Paul Fenton, Pat Brisson, and probably several others.

It really should be Jim Nill and then everybody else. I know the scuttlebutt on him is that he won't leave Detroit, but if he stays there, he'll never be a GM. He's only 4 years younger than Holland. Throw a significant raise his way and give him autonomy, and he'll come.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 01:08 PM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post

It really should be Jim Nill and then everybody else. I know the scuttlebutt on him is that he won't leave Detroit, but if he stays there, he'll never be a GM. He's only 4 years younger than Holland. Throw a significant raise his way and give him autonomy, and he'll come.
Yeah, that guy.

Old
03-13-2013, 01:15 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

If Jim Nill is content being 2nd fiddle, maybe he's the wrong guy for the Caps? Maybe he's been promised the reigns when Holland retires?

Old
03-13-2013, 01:20 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCupFantasy View Post
If Jim Nill is content being 2nd fiddle, maybe he's the wrong guy for the Caps? Maybe he's been promised the reigns when Holland retires?
IINM, that's always been part of the speculation. I think there's also been talk of Detroit wanting too much compensation for letting him go.

Who knows his reasons? Maybe it's a family situation and kids are older now? There could be plenty of legitimate reasons that wouldn't preclude him from being the right guy for the Caps.

Old
03-13-2013, 01:28 PM
Bure

Please hire Nill.

Bure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 01:41 PM
Lawrencejame

Wow, watch Adam Oates interview today, speaks alot about ovechkin. Really refreshing to hear someone defend him like that. Hes being honest too, you can totally tell hes ticked off about how people are treating him (wish adam oates was around last year for semin). Hope Ovi sees this interview.

If theres one good thing thats happened so far this season, it might just be Ovechkin-Oates, player/coach relationship thats formed.

http://www.monumentalnetwork.com/vid...3-13/index.jsp

Old
03-13-2013, 01:43 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

The player/coach relationship is meaningless if it doesn't elevate the player's level of play.

Old
03-13-2013, 01:47 PM
Lawrencejame

Quote:
The player/coach relationship is meaningless if it doesn't elevate the player's level of play.
Maybe, it hasn't yet, but that's not to say it wont. I mean hes only known Oates for like 3 months. Do you think Oates is partly to blame for this season? I know some people do, but I don't think hes part of the problem at all. If anything I really wonder if Oates was coaching our team a couple years ago, where we would have finished and more importantly where we would be now.

I personally hope they keep Oates, but I really wish we could go back to 09-10 and hire him then : /

Old
03-13-2013, 01:59 PM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

Hearing Oates defend Ovi, at least its a start. I would like to see GM be a bit more of a vocal leader. Is this what being secretive has gotten us?

Short term, I think Oates has Ovi's ear, and suspect Ovi's mind is on overload.

I have long thought that coaches basically become shrinks. Imagine going to the same teacher same classroom every damn day, year after year after year. At that point, its all mental. It easy to see how a coach can lose the room.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 02:06 PM
InjuredChoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCupFantasy View Post
Nill and Holland have both their contracts ending after 15-16 season..speculation is on Detroit board that Nill takes over after that.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 02:55 PM
sunnydaycrash

Quote:
Wow, watch Adam Oates interview today, speaks alot about ovechkin. Really refreshing to hear someone defend him like that. Hes being honest too, you can totally tell hes ticked off about how people are treating him (wish adam oates was around last year for semin). Hope Ovi sees this interview.

If theres one good thing thats happened so far this season, it might just be Ovechkin-Oates, player/coach relationship thats formed.

http://www.monumentalnetwork.com/vid...3-13/index.jsp
Love seeing that, how can you not like Oates.....poor bugger just needs a GM !

sunnydaycrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 03:31 PM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnydaycrash View Post
Love seeing that, how can you not like Oates.....poor bugger just needs a GM !
What are the chances a new GM keeps Oates (or any of the staff)?

Old
03-13-2013, 03:56 PM
sunnydaycrash

I'd hope he would give him a full season with a proper training camp.

sunnydaycrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 04:12 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

If there's one thing I like about Oates it's that he's clearly a guy who is trying to work on Ovy's psyche. He's (almost blindly) defending Ovy. One part of me loves that, the other feels like he's probably been shielded and coddled for way too long already and wonders if this helps from Oates or just continues the cultural status quo in the organization.

Old
03-13-2013, 04:12 PM
marcel snapshot

Thanks for posting that. It's the 1st encouraging thing I've seen about the team since the Florida game.

marcel snapshot is offline   Reply With Quote