HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Alexander Ovechkin

Closed Thread

Old
03-10-2013, 10:15 PM
caps4cup
Dynasty

vCash: 500
He hasn't played that well but the fact is he has still been averaging over a point per game the last 16 games (17 points).

Old
03-10-2013, 10:18 PM
Atlas

The pragmatism in the world amazes me.

The idea: The fanbase will be happy if a) we have a flashy team b) we have a bunch nice guys like Brooks Laich who will change people's flat tires or c) we have enough colorful lights and computer music leading into the power play face-offs to get the crowd rocking the red.

All that is *********. One thing strengthens a pro sports franchise: winning.

All the rest will take care of itself and is of no importance anyway. The 'skins won a lot in the 80’s and that success is a part of their relevance today. The O's won a whole lot in the 60’s and 70’s and that built a foundation of fans that suffered through an awful 15 yrs of losing. The Ravens win a lot and they are a great franchise. The Baltimore Colts were so good in the 50’s, 60’s and 70’s that people still love the franchise even though they moved away in 1983.

The Bullets and the Caps? There's not a lot to love.

The reason the Caps exist is to win. Without winning they are a meaningless entity.

Old
03-10-2013, 10:20 PM
Icetime

Ovechkin is a spoiled brat.

He is a HOF caliber hockey player. No question.

But people have been kissing his butt for far far far too long.

Dude has won NOTHING!

Do you hear me Alex?

You have won nothing.

Nothing anyone gives a **** about.

Old
03-10-2013, 10:28 PM
Generational Player

[QUOTE=Icetime;61419687]Ovechkin is a spoiled brat.

He is a HOF caliber hockey player. No question.

But people have been kissing his butt for far far far too long.

Dude has won NOTHING!

Do you hear me Alex?

You have won nothing.

Nothing anyone gives a **** about.[/QUOTE]

Unless Canada wins it.

Old
03-10-2013, 11:09 PM
Vegeta
God Dammit Nappa

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by hb11xchamps View Post
Why? They aren't hurting anything just giving their own analysis and insight
Because we're Pens fans, most Caps fans assume we're here to kick you guys while you're down. It's understandable because of the bad blood between the two teams, but that's not what I think any of us were doing here. OV being great is great for the game, and I for one, would like to see the Caps and OV be elite again. It's good for the sport, it's good for you guys, and it's good for our rivalry. Pens/Caps games were the best games for a good 3-4 year stretch. Though make no mistake, I'm not going to be cheering for you guys to win any Stanley Cups .

Old
03-10-2013, 11:15 PM
Atlas

Note to all Pens fans: we hate you forever and always. Scram.

Old
03-10-2013, 11:21 PM
EroCaps

I'm beginning to grasp how Pens fans relate to Jagr. Über talented man baby in self destruct mode creates a
super massive black hole that swallows your home team.

Old
03-10-2013, 11:34 PM
Halpysback*

Right, the caps would have a cup if only Ovechkin tried harder. Cause that's all it takes, no team involvement anywhere.

Funny how I 100% called this literally the moment this board decided Semin was The Cancer last June. That the title would be passed to Ovechkin at the first sign of the team struggling. And here we are.

Old
03-10-2013, 11:43 PM
Halpysback*

Since this board seems to get a collective stroke every time Ovechkin stays high (as offense first wingers tend to) in the defensive zone instead of playing the role of a defensive defenseman or goalie any time anything happens, how about Ovechkin for Robyn Regehr and Mike Weber? Or perhaps Gill and Hannan.

Old
03-10-2013, 11:59 PM
Ovechkins Wodka

1st time ive been in this troll thread. We drop 2 games because questionable calls and you want to tar and feather Ovie. Good Players can be on bad teams im not going to fight the masses but blaming ovie for not scoring 70 goals and being the best defensive winger is just scape goating

Old
03-11-2013, 01:04 AM
Brian23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovechkins Wodka View Post
1st time ive been in this troll thread. We drop 2 games because questionable calls and you want to tar and feather Ovie. Good Players can be on bad teams im not going to fight the masses but blaming ovie for not scoring 70 goals and being the best defensive winger is just scape goating
Good players should not be as invisible as he is at times.

He's still got it, we all saw what happened in games when he began hustling again. Than you get those brain phart games again and no one knows what you've got in him. I really wonder if something like a Sports Psychologist would be good for him.

Old
03-11-2013, 01:13 AM
Wizeman*

I think he is no longer motivated, but knows he made a commitment so hes doing the best he can but cannot focus very well.

Old
03-11-2013, 04:43 AM
artilector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizeman View Post
I think he is no longer motivated, but knows he made a commitment so hes doing the best he can but cannot focus very well.
I think it's more loss of confidence and of some explosiveness. A huge part of his game used to be doing things at high speed, right now we just don't see it any more. He gets the puck, starts to accelerate, but people seem to have no problems catching up to him , the speed just isn't there. But I don't even want to speculate about causes, I mean, who knows..

But regardless of causes, Caps do have a big problem. 9.5m player performing like let's say a 5.5-6m player, with multiple years of declining productivity even before the eventual age-related decline, with many years remaining on the contract. And not just that, when it's your captain and franchise player, the situation is bound to create a very bad vibe around the team.

I mean, if I were the owner/GM, and I see a real risk of having to pay a 30G one-dimensional wing 9.5m for another 8 whatever years, with possibility of further decline due to age/wear-n-tear.. I'd be freaking out, and most likely exploring any option for a trade.

I mean if Ovi goes somewhere else and rediscovers his game, good for him. It would be better, of course, if somehow it could happen with the Caps. But the risk is too great -- it would be almost criminal (in terms of Cup winning chances) to just leave it to "let's hope he turns it around" at this point, IMO, if there is any possibility to move him.

If Leonsis & McPhee sit on their thumbs and hope for the best.. well sucks to be a Caps fan, then all we can do is hope for the best as well and squish the pesky internal realist, lol.

Old
03-11-2013, 04:48 AM
Yeaoh

It sucks to see Ovi this way, but he has to find a way to dig himself out of this situation he is in. He needs to be a more complete player. The guy can still play. Maybe there is just too much pressure on him to produce?

Old
03-11-2013, 05:05 AM
RandyHolt
Aiko Oshie All Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
wondering. those that want ovechkin stripped of the c. do you really want to humiliate him? is that the goal?
Is shock and awe, as in shockingly awful, the goal of your post?

Obviously you don't think he is being humiliated with the C in tow, yet imply he is too fragile to handle a demotion.

Players get demoted every day across the league and survive just fine. You implied he was demoted playing with Beagle just last month. No one cared but those beating the "he got demoted" drum. Which was just Caps fans. Why were you trying to humiliate him? It wasn't even a demotion.

Last summer, in a time no one knew if a season would even happen, a new coach on board that said I want to choose my C plan, maybe a rewards based every month rotational thing, no one would have cared. Especially those that saw Ovi had a full load to carry as our only scoring forward, and doesn't always lead by example for a coach wanting to preach defense first.

Old
03-11-2013, 07:54 AM
swimmer77
No 2nd guess, grind!

It was very sad to see him on the bench yesterday at the end of the game. Couldn't help to think of what must be going through his mind.

I want the old Ovi back that skated with reckless abandon and put the fear in the eyes of opposing d-men. You just don't see that as much anymore - for whatever reason(s).

Old
03-11-2013, 08:01 AM
RandyHolt
Aiko Oshie All Day

We all want the old Ovi back, the one that didn't have any negative thoughts. No pressure, he had fun and didn't think, he just played. And dominated.

You can literally see the change in his game by just looking at his face.

Back in the glory days, we saw game in and game out, that contagious toothless smile, and unkempt face. Hart Trophy.

Now, he is perfectly groomed and almost never smiling. Heartless, and Hartless.

Old
03-11-2013, 08:22 AM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Ovi's current play combined with the looming NMC taking effect July 2014 makes moving Ovechkin soon a plausible option.

For Ovechkin, changing his scenery will rid him of the dreaded C without being embarrassed as well as probably rejuvenate his game to Caps fans displeasure but to hockey fans delight.

What should not be lost, is that Ovechkin is also the linch pin to the likes of Kuznetsov and perhaps even Orlov. So moving Ovechkin might result in influencing Kuznetsov's decision in coming over to the Caps and wasn't it Orlov late last season communicating his displeasure to Kuznetsov I believe when Hunter sat him towards the end of the season.

A trade involving Ovechkin would have to be a complicated matter and might include the other two Russians that I just noted, so it would probably have to wait until after this season is over. But there's a team out west that has a coach that Ovie is well familiar with and has great weather and has some quality vets that might just be the right team for him.

Ovechkin/Kuznetsov/Orlov for Perry/Ryan/Fowler

The combo of Ryan and Fowler's salaries next season are just about 400k less than Ovie's. Using Dale Hunter's alumni connection and affiliation with the London Knights perhaps he can assist in having Corey Perry resign here.

Old
03-11-2013, 09:16 AM
Brad Tolliver
Terror Goes Into

Here is the problem with Ovechkin keeping the C. He has only shown to be an effective leader when he leads by example. The Caps under the current coaching staff are trying to establish an identity as a possession team, there is no doubt that Ovechkin hasn't adjusted effectively, ergo he simply isn't an effective leader of this team because he can't lead effectively by example. Expecting Ovechkin to just give up without the C is all but confirm NA stereotypes about Russians since NA players have lost the C without being humiliated. There is also nothing stopping Ovechkin from earning the C back with his play if he so wishes.

The whole victim mentality with an overemphasis on saving face is what's gotten this franchise in this mess.

Old
03-11-2013, 10:20 AM
Bananas

One of the most dumbfounding aspects of Ovechkin's decline is his precipitous drop in stick handling ability. He's almost entering "stone hands" category IMO.

What the ****?

Old
03-11-2013, 10:22 AM
bgroban

For the sake of his career?

What about for the sake of the team? YES.

Old
03-11-2013, 10:31 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Ovechkin's NMC has almost no practical impact on his trade possibilities.

Old
03-11-2013, 10:57 AM
Halpysback*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgroban View Post
For the sake of his career?

What about for the sake of the team? YES.
Right, the team would be flying without him.

Same **** as with Semin, scapegoat one player to ignore the fact that the overall roster and management is beer league quality. I'm sure people would be shocked and awed as well when he proceeds to go and light it up on a winning team somewhere else. Or just discard it altogether.

Old
03-11-2013, 11:07 AM
g00n
Global Moderator
๑۩۞۩๑♩♪♫♬๑۩۞۩๑

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halpysback View Post
Right, the team would be flying without him.

Same **** as with Semin, scapegoat one player to ignore the fact that the overall roster and management is beer league quality. I'm sure people would be shocked and awed as well when he proceeds to go and light it up on a winning team somewhere else. Or just discard it altogether.
God, you never quit, do you? If you think the Caps are "beer league" beyond the danglers you worship, you need a reality check.

Try this on for size: I would take 3 Semin's on a line right now over 3 Ovechkins. How does that fit your "everyone hates Semin/russians/finesse players/whatever" worldview?

It is not the same as with Semin. At least Semin's skills didn't show signs of decline. The issues with him were different. Maybe Semin craps out in the future, maybe Ovechin regains form. But RIGHT NOW, Ovechkin is not even the best player on his own LINE, nevermind TEAM, nevermind LEAGUE, nevermind THE WORLD.

Old
03-11-2013, 11:42 AM
Halpysback*

Quote:
Originally Posted by g00n View Post
God, you never quit, do you? If you think the Caps are "beer league" beyond the danglers you worship, you need a reality check.

Try this on for size: I would take 3 Semin's on a line right now over 3 Ovechkins. How does that fit your "everyone hates Semin/russians/finesse players/whatever" worldview?

It is not the same as with Semin. At least Semin's skills didn't show signs of decline. The issues with him were different. Maybe Semin craps out in the future, maybe Ovechin regains form. But RIGHT NOW, Ovechkin is not even the best player on his own LINE, nevermind TEAM, nevermind LEAGUE, nevermind THE WORLD.
Are you sure you watched all the games this year? This team's defense is barely NHL caliber and gets completely abused any time anyone establishes a cycle (though that's Ovechkin's fault for being too high, damn him for not being a DFD). The goaltending is for the most part crap aside from a couple small stretches (though Holtby letting people bank goals in off his ass is Ovechkin's fault as well). The vaunted grinders aside from Fehr aren't doing anything of note. They may look good against pee wee teams but they completely fold against any team that knows what they're doing and brings a shred of physicality into the offensive zone.

Semin wouldn't be any more successful here in Ovechkin's place right now than Ovechkin or Backstrom (oh right, he's infallible and doing great), even if he were playing the way he is in Carolina (which is the way he played with the caps). There is simply not enough hockey playing ability on the roster. But I'm sure getting rid of more of it would do absolute wonders for us.

Now Semin WITH Ovechkin and Backstrom and Ribeiro, and you might actually have a team that can beat something other than basement dwellers.

Closed Thread