HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

It's time for Capuano to go

Old
02-18-2013, 07:44 PM
Giuseppe Franco

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satan'sIsland81 View Post
.......does Garth Snow get to hire? To me, this is the biggest question. There is no doubt Cappy is not an NHL coach, NO DOUBT, but I find it so ridiculous how Islanders fans just talk game after game about how horrible he is as a coach considering the product Garth Snow gives him out on the ice. If Cappy gets canned, the next coach will be the fourth in the Garth Snow era without a single playoff APPEARANCE in going on 6 years. At what point does the attention (if not from the organization and our clueless owner, at least from the fans and media) turn toward the horrendous job of the GM. I have never seen a pro sports GM get to hire 4 different coaches without so much as a playoff berth and get to continue holding his job with no pressure whatsoever.
This is reason 1 why I don't think Capuano will be fired. With each coach that gets fired, more people will start to ask the same question you just asked. Reason 2 is that Wang obviously doesn't want to spend a single dime more than he has to. Firing Capuano just means he has to pay the salaries of two head coaches for this season instead of one.

Giuseppe Franco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 07:51 PM
Doshell Propivo

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceAce View Post
Snow's hired 2 coaches, Gordon and Capuano. Nolan was here when he got the job (and made the playoffs BTW). Where do you get 4?
Interesting. The last time the Isles made the playoffs they had an NHL coach and more than 3 or 4 NHL caliber players on the roster. Coincidence?

Are we still defending this supposed "rebuild?"

Doshell Propivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 08:56 PM
CDirt

Kevin Schultz in IPB is plainly stating that Cappy is the problem here.

Quote:
So what’s the problem? How do the Islanders, coming off a feel good win against New Jersey where John Tavares’ hatter grabbed the national spotlight, manage this?

In today’s game there was a complete lack of effort from the players, from top to bottom. It almost seemed like they didn’t want to be there. And the responsibility is not on the black jerseys, which make an awfully convenient but illogical whipping boy for fans. The responsibility for today lies at the feet of the coach as his team that is consistently having trouble “getting up” for games.
http://islanderspointblank.com/news/...ed/#more-39098

What's kind of interesting here is that most coaches you read about don't have issues getting younger guys to get up for a game. Kids are usually sponges for anything thrown at them and eager to show what they can do. The hard part is breaking them of bad habits and tendencies developed playing against less talents guys in JRs and the AHL.

At this point you have to wonder where Wang throws in here. Does he further decimate the fanbase playing lame duck owner or does he make a decisive move, can Cappy, and get a real coach in here. Personally (and I think the post story is bunk) I do think he's going to sell. I think the decision comes down to how much this coach costs him on a potential return for the team.

CDirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 09:04 PM
Satan'sIsland81

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceAce View Post
Snow's hired 2 coaches, Gordon and Capuano. Nolan was here when he got the job (and made the playoffs BTW). Where do you get 4?
What I meant is that if Cappy gets fired, it would be the third coach to get fired by Snow, with the next coach being the fourth under his tenure as GM. You do not usually get to see (at least not with most well-run pro sports franchises) a GM get to fire his third coach and make the next hire while not securing a single playoff berth in going on 6 seasons. I mean come on, are our standards really that low as fans?

Satan'sIsland81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 09:42 PM
A Pointed Stick
Spend? Of Course!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satan'sIsland81 View Post
.......does Garth Snow get to hire? To me, this is the biggest question. There is no doubt Cappy is not an NHL coach, NO DOUBT, but I find it so ridiculous how Islanders fans just talk game after game about how horrible he is as a coach considering the product Garth Snow gives him out on the ice. If Cappy gets canned, the next coach will be the fourth in the Garth Snow era without a single playoff APPEARANCE in going on 6 years. At what point does the attention (if not from the organization and our clueless owner, at least from the fans and media) turn toward the horrendous job of the GM. I have never seen a pro sports GM get to hire 4 different coaches without so much as a playoff berth and get to continue holding his job with no pressure whatsoever.
Is it fair of me to ask you straight up if you think that maybe Wang won't let him have the money it would take to hire a real coach?

I am not convinced Snow is good, or bad, or anything. Wang controls the purse and right now he has it set on maximum scrooge.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 09:42 PM
StrongIslanders90

Cant believe more isnt being made out of tavares being on the ice for the last 30 sec ofthe game...

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 02:03 AM
IslesNorway

When you concede goals within the first minute of games and periods time and timer again it is a coaching issue. It happened all of last season and repeats itself now. Also the way they looked yesterday was completely unacceptable by any standards.

IslesNorway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 04:50 AM
leaponover

I said it before and I'll say it again. Cappy is on a tight leash and his days are numbered. He could be gone after the Senator's game dependent upon the outcome. Mark my words.

leaponover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 07:37 AM
wingnutks

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaponover View Post
I said it before and I'll say it again. Cappy is on a tight leash and his days are numbered. He could be gone after the Senator's game dependent upon the outcome. Mark my words.
lol!

wingnutks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 09:21 AM
kasper11

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
Cant believe more isnt being made out of tavares being on the ice for the last 30 sec ofthe game...
Agreed.

Our best player played 21+ minutes of a blowout in the middle of a 3 games in 4 day stretch. Why?

This is bigger than the fact that the team got blown out. Tired players are more likely to get injured. The game was over 3 minutes into the 3rd. By playing JT that much he is risking injury for no reason. He played 6 minutes in the third period, including an entire 2 minute pp. Our top line led all forwards in ice time in the third period of a blowout with a game the next day. That is f'ing crazy. And then he is out there at the end of the game, when things can get dirty.

kasper11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 09:32 AM
blitzkriegs

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick View Post
Is it fair of me to ask you straight up if you think that maybe Wang won't let him have the money it would take to hire a real coach?

I am not convinced Snow is good, or bad, or anything. Wang controls the purse and right now he has it set on maximum scrooge.
Wang hires AHL coaches because, well, he has all the leverage in negotiating the coaches salary - you want into the NHL, take the minimum to "prove yourself" - which is code word for not spending any money and this roster I'm going you ain't gonna let you win to make more
Money.

The ONLY NHL coach he hired was Nolan, who was in purgatory and would take a minimum salary just to get back into the league.

The assistants are all AHL'ers. One has zero minor league coaching experience AND doubles as an assistant to the GM.

This is stinks of Wang's "lowest cost option" of running the franchise and it shows. This team needs a real NHL coach to lead them and motivate them. Bring in Andy Murray please.

blitzkriegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 09:36 AM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasper11 View Post
Agreed.

Our best player played 21+ minutes of a blowout in the middle of a 3 games in 4 day stretch. Why?

This is bigger than the fact that the team got blown out. Tired players are more likely to get injured. The game was over 3 minutes into the 3rd. By playing JT that much he is risking injury for no reason. He played 6 minutes in the third period, including an entire 2 minute pp. Our top line led all forwards in ice time in the third period of a blowout with a game the next day. That is f'ing crazy. And then he is out there at the end of the game, when things can get dirty.
I agree, I wasn't thrilled to see him out there. Considering they had a game the next day, they should have shut him down at the end of the game. I think JT is #2 in TOI for forwards in the NHL - understandable because he carries this team, but it would be wise to handle his ice time better. That's the problem with the lack of secondary scoring, he has to be out there. If he only has to play 18-20 minutes, he'd be fresher and probably more effective.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 09:41 AM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasper11 View Post
Agreed.

You ever think that this was a form of punishment ? Everybody played like **** yesterday, including our superstar Tavares. If I was the coach, I'd make them stay on the ice and skate from blue line to blue line, full speed, until they were puking like Herb Brooks used to. Cappy needs to be fired because he's too much of a wuss.

scott99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 09:53 AM
kasper11

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
You ever think that this was a form of punishment ? Everybody played like **** yesterday, including our superstar Tavares. If I was the coach, I'd make them stay on the ice and skate from blue line to blue line, full speed, until they were puking like Herb Brooks used to. Cappy needs to be fired because he's too much of a wuss.
You don't risk injury with your superstar. You want to make them skate laps, do it on an offday. You don't want exhausted players taking/making hits and crashing into the boards.

Besides, you punish players when they play without effort not for playing poorly. I have never seen JT play without effort. And if he plays poorly, it may be because he is exhausted from carrying this team on his back.

Old
02-19-2013, 09:57 AM
IslandersFan17

Quote:
I don't think you need a mean or calm approach. You need to find a way to get the most out of your players each and every shift. Capps has not been able to do that since the unwarranted promotion from the AHL.

I like the idea of Weight taking over, but I do not think that would truly change the culture of what is going on here.

The Brooklyn move might help bring in a decent name.

IslandersFan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 10:10 AM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:
Tavares is the last personwho needs to be punished....and there are other ways to send messeges

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 10:32 AM
seafoam
Fluorescent Adolescent

vCash: 50
Reasoner in over Ullstrom, another reason why Capuano needs to be fired right now.

seafoam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 01:41 PM
Chardo

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
Tavares is the last personwho needs to be punished....and there are other ways to send messeges
Want to send a message, change the culture? Fire Capuano, promote Weight, strip the C from Streit and give it to Tavares. Then you would have the fiery coach this team desperately needs, and the hardest worker wearing the C to set the tone for the others.

Chardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 02:05 PM
Dan-o16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chardo View Post
Want to send a message, change the culture? Fire Capuano, promote Weight, strip the C from Streit and give it to Tavares. Then you would have the fiery coach this team desperately needs, and the hardest worker wearing the C to set the tone for the others.
Do you want those guys to fail? Because if you make the change, they will. The talent isn't good enough for leadership changes to make much difference.

People are grumbling, for example, about Capuano leaving in Nabby. But, seriously, what could he have done? If he put in Ricky he would be stuck with (i) playing Nabby two days in a row after at least half a game with travel in between, or (ii) playing DP 2 days in a row for a total of 1.5 games and travel in between, with him likely to develop a case of rigor mortis on the airplane. If he had a real backup goaltender physically capable of playing in back-to-back days in a pinch, the criticism would have bite. But the poor shmoe is as hung out to dry as Nabby was yesterday afternoon.

Cheers,

Dan-o

Dan-o16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 02:27 PM
Chardo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-o16 View Post
Do you want those guys to fail? Because if you make the change, they will. The talent isn't good enough for leadership changes to make much difference.

People are grumbling, for example, about Capuano leaving in Nabby. But, seriously, what could he have done? If he put in Ricky he would be stuck with (i) playing Nabby two days in a row after at least half a game with travel in between, or (ii) playing DP 2 days in a row for a total of 1.5 games and travel in between, with him likely to develop a case of rigor mortis on the airplane. If he had a real backup goaltender physically capable of playing in back-to-back days in a pinch, the criticism would have bite. But the poor shmoe is as hung out to dry as Nabby was yesterday afternoon.

Cheers,

Dan-o

The talent was good enough to beat PIT and NJ before the losing streak, and then beat NYR and NJ. They have shown flashes of very good play. When they're on their game, the talent is there to be competitive (though they do need more). They just lack the fire and motivation to play their A game every night. That comes from leadership.

Old
02-19-2013, 02:52 PM
Dan-o16

Quote:
The talent was good enough to beat PIT and NJ before the losing streak, and then beat NYR and NJ. They have shown flashes of very good play. When they're on their game, the talent is there to be competitive (though they do need more). They just lack the fire and motivation to play their A game every night. That comes from leadership.
Nobody is on their game 100% of the time, not even the best players. The thing is the best players are better when they're not on their games than mediocre players. we have mediocre players.

I've seen the same thing time and again in sports where teams lacking talent can put together stretches of inspired play. The idea that when they don't do it that it's due to a personal failing or lacking motivation just doesn't hold up. It's just the fantasy of the demanding fan.

Look at Aucoin. Is he as good as his season's start? Duh, obviously not. Look at Andrew MacDonald. Can he play 25:00 a night? Duh, obviously not. Look at Grabner, can he anchor the PK, play 19 minutes a night, and threaten the opposition offensively with consistency? Duh, obviously not. Can Streit make every PP puck rush cleanly, because if he tries to chip it in it's an automatic clear, and then have enough to D-up in his own zone? Duh, obviously not. Can Hamonic be the only guy taking a regular shift to takes the body regularly and hope to have success? Duh, obviously not.

Being motivated and trying as hard as you possibly can, pushing yourself to the limit is great until you're tired as **** because your best is as good as your opponent's normal effort. The players point to motivation because they can't say "we lack talent". Look at Matt Moulson. He played out of his mind against the Devils while taking a ton of abuse, and continues by getting thrown around like a rag doll against the Flyers. And you expect him to be on his backcheck? The dude was probably concussed with back spasms wondering who in the hell has his back, and knowing it's nobody that'll be on the ice when he is because his other winger is *soft as ****.

If we constantly played teams on the back half of back-to-backs and are willing to take stupid penalties, we'd certainly have a winning record. Otherwise, not. And changing the coach and captain is not going to change that at all.

BTW, do you think JT wants to be the captain right now? Would that make sense? Don't you think he's smart enough to realize how that smacks of desperation?

Cheers,

Dan-o

Dan-o16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 02:55 PM
Chardo

Well said, Dan-o

Old
02-19-2013, 03:23 PM
kasper11

Quote:
I agree with everything Dan-O said in response to this (too long to quote) but just wanted to add that we didn't really play all that well in some of the games we won. Look at the second NJ win...they outplayed the Isles big time in the first period. If not for Nabokov and JT playing out of their minds the Isles probably would have lost that game. His line combined for 4 goals and 14 shots. Nabokov stopped 97% of the shots he faced.

Against the Rags the Isles were awful in the first. Then Nabokov stopped 26 out of the last 27 shots he faced as well as both shootout shots. Again, the JT line was pretty much all of the offense combining for 2 goals and 13 shots.

You cannot win consistently by depending on your goalie pretending he is Patty Roy and having no secondary scoring.

The Isles have good enough players to win some games. They don't have the depth to win a lot of games.

Old
02-19-2013, 08:31 PM
Islanderfan17

Capuano sucks, both Thompson and Weight have more control over this team than he does. As I'm typing this I see Doug Weight talking to the Isles in the time out, which has been a consistent theme all season.

Please, PLEASE can this horrible coach already. There is a reason our PK and PP have been decent this season and that is because Cappy isn't in charge of it, unlike the 5v5.

Islanderfan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 09:07 PM
Strummergas

Please don't anyone jump off of a bridge when they wake up to find that Capuano hasn't been fired after tonight's game. They're not gonna can him. They may not renew him at the end of the season, but I think he'll be here until season's end (as much as I would like him gone).

Strummergas is offline   Reply With Quote