HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

It's time for Capuano to go

Old
02-19-2013, 09:08 PM
Islanderfan17

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummergas View Post
Please don't anyone jump off of a bridge when they wake up to find that Capuano hasn't been fired after tonight's game. They're not gonna can him. They may not renew him at the end of the season, but I think he'll be here until season's end (as much as I would like him gone).
Sadly I agree with you, this organization is hellbent on giving this guy too many chances just like they do with DP.

Islanderfan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 09:08 PM
Islander Prophet

I also wouldn't be surprised if he stays

Islander Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 09:15 PM
Marlo Stanfield
My Name Is My Name

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummergas View Post
Please don't anyone jump off of a bridge when they wake up to find that Capuano hasn't been fired after tonight's game. They're not gonna can him. They may not renew him at the end of the season, but I think he'll be here until season's end (as much as I would like him gone).
"Why terminate him and have to pay him not to work?" - Chuckie Wang's philosophy.

Face it, this is another lost year unless the players take it upon themselves to play above and beyond their talent level and compete every night. Coaching is abysmal and goaltending is thin. Hopefully (probably not) these issues gets addressed.

Marlo Stanfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 09:18 PM
MattMartin
KillerInstinct™

Send a message via MSN to MattMartin
I as i said in the GDT i see no way he is here on Thursday. As in the movie Kingin where the term "munsoned" became infamous, Capuanoed will become infamous for a coach who loses a team so bad the players actually request to management that the coach should sit in the press box during games.

Example: John Torterella " I don't want to get Capuoanoed if this team doesn't make the playoffs this year"

02-19-2013, 09:43 PM
periferal

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzkriegs View Post
Wang hires AHL coaches because, well, he has all the leverage in negotiating the coaches salary - you want into the NHL, take the minimum to "prove yourself" - which is code word for not spending any money and this roster I'm going you ain't gonna let you win to make more
Money.

The ONLY NHL coach he hired was Nolan, who was in purgatory and would take a minimum salary just to get back into the league.

The assistants are all AHL'ers. One has zero minor league coaching experience AND doubles as an assistant to the GM.

This is stinks of Wang's "lowest cost option" of running the franchise and it shows. This team needs a real NHL coach to lead them and motivate them. Bring in Andy Murray please.
This is a good point, but it goes even further than this...

Wang wants "yes men" - Obedient workers who know that he's in control. He's a far less competent Jerry Jones.

periferal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 09:45 PM
periferal

For those of you of want capuano fired...Do you really think that's going to solve the problem? How long before a new coach is hired and he starts losing games 7-0 before you want yet another head coach?

Capuano is not the problem...,He is a SYMPTOM of the problem.

Last edited by periferal: 02-19-2013 at 09:58 PM.
Old
02-19-2013, 09:57 PM
19NYSports91

Quote:
Originally Posted by periferal View Post
For those of you of want capuchin fired...Do you really think that's going to solve the problem? How long before a new coach is hired and he starts losing games 7-0 before you want yet another head coach?

Getting a legit NHL coach is kind of a big deal, I'm not sure how some of you don't see it. Last year the Blues hire Hitchock and then they do great. Look at the Canadiens, they were last in the Eastern Conference last year. They hire Michel Therrien and now they are in 1st place in the Eastern Conference!

19NYSports91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 09:59 PM
Paulinho
:baghead:

Send a message via Yahoo to Paulinho
Quote:
For those of you of want capuchin fired...Do you really think that's going to solve the problem? How long before a new coach is hired and he starts losing games 7-0 before you want yet another head coach?

You're right, it will solve nothing. We all know Wang is the real issue & that this team is going nowhere until he sells it. With that said i still want Capuano fired asap.

Paulinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 10:03 PM
onesinceforty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlo Stanfield View Post
"Why terminate him and have to pay him not to work?" - Chuckie Wang's philosophy.

Face it, this is another lost year unless the players take it upon themselves to play above and beyond their talent level and compete every night. Coaching is abysmal and goaltending is thin. Hopefully (probably not) these issues gets addressed.
Maybe we will have a draft where we pick 7 goalies!

onesinceforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 10:13 PM
periferal

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19NYSports91 View Post
Getting a legit NHL coach is kind of a big deal, I'm not sure how some of you don't see it. Last year the Blues hire Hitchock and then they do great. Look at the Canadiens, they were last in the Eastern Conference last year. They hire Michel Therrien and now they are in 1st place in the Eastern Conference!
You don't get it...Wang would never hire a good coach, which is to say someone who isn't a "yes man."

Old
02-19-2013, 10:33 PM
Islanderfan17

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19NYSports91 View Post
Agreed completely. Just because the rest of the organization sucks does NOT mean that we don't need a new head coach! The fact is that coaching is one of the areas that this organization DESPERATELY needs to improve on. I get where people are coming from saying that Wang doesn't care, which is probably true, but that doesn't take away the fact that we CAN and NEED to upgrade our coaching. It's just an excuse.

Islanderfan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 11:10 PM
TJ MAC

I think we all can agree that we need a coaching change. We also need to accept that it won't happen. If it does happen the new coach will be cut from the same cloth and nothing changes. It's a ******* shame.

TJ MAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 12:48 AM
LotteryForLife

I think Rosie O'Donnell's twin brother coached his last game tonight

LotteryForLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 04:06 AM
2LeftSkates

I doubt Cappy would voluntarily put DP in goal. The guy who made that decision should be canned. Can the owner be fired?

2LeftSkates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 07:44 AM
xIsle

Quote:
You don't get it...Wang would never hire a good coach, which is to say someone who isn't a "yes man."
So that means no chance for Brent Thompson to be the head coach? For some reason, I have a good feeling about him. I think he could become a good coach. He can't be worst than Capuano, that's for sure!

xIsle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 08:46 AM
KyleBailey12

Quote:
Originally Posted by xIsle View Post
So that means no chance for Brent Thompson to be the head coach? For some reason, I have a good feeling about him. I think he could become a good coach. He can't be worst than Capuano, that's for sure!
We all had good feelings about Capuano when Gordon was run out of town. If Capuano gets axed and Thompson is his replacement, it's going to be a whole lot of the same. I'll be the first to say I'm wrong if the scenario plays out, but in my opinion he'll just be another inexperienced coach in over his head.

*Same goes for Doug Weight too.

KyleBailey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 09:15 AM
IslandersFan17

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleBailey12 View Post
We all had good feelings about Capuano when Gordon was run out of town. If Capuano gets axed and Thompson is his replacement, it's going to be a whole lot of the same. I'll be the first to say I'm wrong if the scenario plays out, but in my opinion he'll just be another inexperienced coach in over his head.

I agree, especially since these guys are having say in certain aspects of this team. However, in regards to Thompson the guy did produce more in Bridgeport than Capps ever did.

I am looking all over the internet to see what coaches have hott names right now as potential replacements and not seeing much.

IslandersFan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 09:41 AM
CDirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleBailey12 View Post

I really don't see this team giving Thompson the job. Only reason why Cappy got the nod is because he "paid his dues" so to speak, in Bridgeport. His resume down there is far from stellar. It's more about a franchise giving an internal candidate priority over an external one. That, and the team seemed to rebound off the Scott Gordon mess with one of the leagues best records from Decemeber on out that season.

I think the team hires an experienced coach. I think with the arena issue settled Wang gives Snow the go ahead to make some significant changes. One of em being a reputable coach that makes this franchise more attractive to free agents while moving the build forward.

I think a lot of the reasons why Wang is reluctant to play the FA game is because we have guys like Strome, Niederatter, Nelson, Kabanov and soon, Reinhart, knocking at the door. Mayfeild and Pedan aren't that far off either.

Last thing you want is a commital of insane money and term lengths for guys at the end of their careers to potentially ride the pine. Remember, contracts can no longer be buried in the AHL.

Before anything like this moves forward though, a culture change is needed. You can't bring young kids into this locker room. It's too poisonous and you can tell by the way these guys are responding (Nabby's interviews are very telling) that this team has shut out the coach.

It's gonna happen and won't be shocked if it's this week. My bet is that Snow is probably on the phone now seeing who's available. Won't be stunned to see Marc Crawford or Mike Keenan get consideration.

CDirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 09:57 AM
steveat

Just wait till Wang sells. Every new sale usually sees a mass exodus of current management if not all. We are tlaking new owner, no Snow, no Cappy and maybe even no Weight, though I would prefer to see Weight there.

IF that doesn't happen, I can see Cappy having his contract extended for 2-3 more years and we'll get a replacement either before we get to Brooklyn or not long after. You can make arguments for and against Cappy till the cows come home, but I can tell you beyond a shadow of a doubt that Cappy IS NOT a coach that can build a Stanley Cup winning team.

steveat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 01:54 PM
Dan-o16

Y'all don't get it (except Perfiral). If there's a young coach you want for the future (if you think Thompson or Weight is that guy), best *not* to set him up to fail now. If you want to improve now relatively quickly, hire a name coach.

I think the team's strategy is to tread water until the talent is ready, then replace Capuano with Weight. Is this the strategy I would pursue? Absolutely not. But it is difficult to argue with reality. NYI is not hiring an established coach, and *given the Islanders (bad) strategy*, it would be a mistake to fire Capuano.

To put it another way: you don't report the Patsy before you've used him to commit fraud.

Cheers,

Dan-o

Dan-o16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 02:16 PM
StumpNYI

Lindy Ruff is looking for a job...

https://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie/s...23126127378434

StumpNYI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 02:16 PM
redbull
Expect more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-o16 View Post
To put it another way: you don't report the Patsy before you've used him to commit fraud.

not sure how to feel about this dosage of harsh reality.

.....better say something before people think I don't get it............"takes one to know one!"

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 02:17 PM
seabass45

Lindy Ruff is now available!

seabass45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 02:18 PM
StrongIslanders90

Ruff would have a stroke if he came into this disfunction....

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 02:20 PM
startainfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabass45 View Post
Lindy Ruff is now available!
ill take him, former jack adams winning sabres coaches work out well for isles teams that no one expected anything from

with that said is ted nolan coaching anymore?

startainfection is offline   Reply With Quote