HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

It's time for Capuano to go

Old
02-25-2013, 03:33 AM
iLandHer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hip Of Rick View Post
Its not about a bad timeout or a bad goalie pull, those are little things that mean nothing overall. The problem is not having anyone capable of scoring on lines 2-4 and having a waiver wire defense. That falls back on Snow.
When you constantly make bad coaching decisions, it's hard for the team to believe in what you're preaching. Taking a timeout in the first period wasn't the reason they lost, but it certainly didn't help them any; it was wasted.

He pretty much just tried to bury that Carolina team as early as possible because he doesn't trust in the team to be able to produce later on in the game and play a full 60 minutes. He wasted the timeout and keeps sending the message to the rest of the team that JT's line is the only one he believes in, right or wrong. That's just bad coaching.

iLandHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 08:39 AM
teknics

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick View Post
During the time out:
Crappy: You guys need more cowbell.
Tavares: WTF are you talking about?
Crappy: It's a bell they put on a cow's collar. Kind of like a dog collar, only bigger.
Tavares: No really, eh? WTF are you talking about?
Crappy: Here (draws on clipboard, stick-cow, giant ring through it's nose)
Grabner: Bullsheet. That is Bullsheet, ja?
Crappy: No, it's a cow. The cowbell... goes here. (points to the neck)
Grabner: No, bullsheet other end.
Crappy: The BELL. The bell goes here, and you guys need it.
Tavares: You want me to carry a cow into the offensive zone now on top of doing the other two forwards work? I know I am good but I am not that good...
Crappy: Doug, can you explain this to them?
Weight: One day... (chews gum several times) I will (smirks, then winks at no one).
I logged in only to say I needed this this morning, thanks! lol

teknics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 09:05 AM
gramatanboy

The only reason Capuano is coaching this team is due to his low salary!! The sooner he is fired, the sooner we can have some faith that the organization has some committment to win. Until then, it will be the usual B.S. about how close the Islanders are and about their compete level and more useless propaganda. Capuano is not the sole reason the Islanders are a non playoff team, but he doesn't help the cause in any way, shape or form and I guarantee that when he (if) gets fired he will not be coaching another team in the NHL ever again!!

gramatanboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 10:21 AM
blitzkriegs

He will not be fired because Wang does not want Snow to face heat for having a coaching carousel. So far, you have Nolan, Gordon, Capuano. If he gets fired in season the interim "counts" as a coach, especially if they change the coach for the next season - we all know that will not happen. Thompson or Weight will take over as the lowest cost option under the guise of "grooming" from within.

To add to that, if the internal culture has been exposed to nothing more than losing, how does that fare when the "losing" coach now takes over the NHL squad? You got
It...More losing. (weights cup in CAR does not count as he was a player).

blitzkriegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 10:59 AM
StumpNYI

Just watched the Cappy post game and you can tell the guy is losing his cool. Every chance he gets, he reminds the media he is coaching a crappy team even though it is subtle. You hear him say things like "That is how we have to play with the team we have" and "Guys are trying to be individualistic and we can't win like that with our team" and it happens almost every interview now. Can't argue with him, but sounds to me he is getting frustrated with the lack of talent and wouldn't be surprised if the team is starting to turn on him a bit for expressing that to the public.

He mentioned there is no emotion in the room at home and then proceeds that by telling the media negative things because of the "team we have". And you wonder why they have no emotion? coach thinks they suck.

StumpNYI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 11:06 AM
Islanderfan17

Quote:
Originally Posted by StumpNYI View Post
Just watched the Cappy post game and you can tell the guy is losing his cool. Every chance he gets, he reminds the media he is coaching a crappy team even though it is subtle. You hear him say things like "That is how we have to play with the team we have" and "Guys are trying to be individualistic and we can't win like that with our team" and it happens almost every interview now. Can't argue with him, but sounds to me he is getting frustrated with the lack of talent and wouldn't be surprised if the team is starting to turn on him a bit for expressing that to the public.

He mentioned there is no emotion in the room at home and then proceeds that by telling the media negative things because of the "team we have". And you wonder why they have no emotion? coach thinks they suck.
Which, IMO, shows that the coach sucks at motivating his guys. I understand the people that are arguing that changing Cappy wouldn't fix all of our problems, because it definitely wouldn't at all, but you can't sit here and tell me that there isn't a coach out there (even our own two assistant coaches) that could get more out of this team than Capuano does. Every time I hear Weight or Thompson get interviewed I come away much more impressed with what they have to say and their attitude way more than I do listening to Capuano.

IMO Thompson should be the head coach with Weight as the assistant, I think that would be a solid coaching combo for this team. Even vice versa would be better than what we have right now. Firing Capuano may not be the solution to this team (we know it isn't) but it's definitely part of the problem, something that CAN be improved and NEEDS to be improved.

Islanderfan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 12:16 PM
IsleNmetFan4Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islanderfan17 View Post
Which, IMO, shows that the coach sucks at motivating his guys. I understand the people that are arguing that changing Cappy wouldn't fix all of our problems, because it definitely wouldn't at all, but you can't sit here and tell me that there isn't a coach out there (even our own two assistant coaches) that could get more out of this team than Capuano does. Every time I hear Weight or Thompson get interviewed I come away much more impressed with what they have to say and their attitude way more than I do listening to Capuano.

IMO Thompson should be the head coach with Weight as the assistant, I think that would be a solid coaching combo for this team. Even vice versa would be better than what we have right now. Firing Capuano may not be the solution to this team (we know it isn't) but it's definitely part of the problem, something that CAN be improved and NEEDS to be improved.
so much this.

IsleNmetFan4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 12:36 PM
Bunk Moreland

vCash: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzkriegs View Post
He will not be fired because Wang does not want Snow to face heat for having a coaching carousel. So far, you have Nolan, Gordon, Capuano. If he gets fired in season the interim "counts" as a coach, especially if they change the coach for the next season - we all know that will not happen. Thompson or Weight will take over as the lowest cost option under the guise of "grooming" from within.

To add to that, if the internal culture has been exposed to nothing more than losing, how does that fare when the "losing" coach now takes over the NHL squad? You got
It...More losing. (weights cup in CAR does not count as he was a player).
Heat from who?

Staple is in his pocket and will release an article saying it needed to happen, Katie Strang's espn new york page would be lucky to get 30 views, IPB isn't the same and even if it was when has Charles Wang ever cared about backlash?

The fans can boo/shout/claw their eyes out all they want but Charles will continue to do things his way.

Bunk Moreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 08:46 AM
19NYSports91

It kind of hurts to see the Ottawa Senators on a 5 game winning streak without their best players playing(Karlsson, Spezza, Michalek, and Cowen). Just goes to show how good of a coach MacLean is.

19NYSports91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 09:14 AM
bigd

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19NYSports91 View Post
It kind of hurts to see the Ottawa Senators on a 5 game winning streak without their best players playing(Karlsson, Spezza, Michalek, and Cowen). Just goes to show how good of a coach MacLean is.
It doesn't hurt that Ben Bishop has been outstanding. That will make any team look good.

bigd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 09:21 AM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigd View Post
It doesn't hurt that Ben Bishop has been outstanding. That will make any team look good.
damn would be nice having a monster in net that has skill....Hes young too

StrongIslanders90 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 09:46 AM
CaptDenisPotvin

Ask yourself one question, if cappy IS fired will any other team in the NHL hire or even interview him as their next head coach? A resounding "no"...so while everyone can blame the rosters talent level (which isnt great IMO) we dont have a coach getting the most out of them either. There are a lot of teams that lack talent that are better us. If we get a coach that gets the most out of our roster, we may not need as much as we think...but to really evaluate what you have, the current roster has to play at maximum capacity which IMO cappy can not accomplish at this point

CaptDenisPotvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 10:43 AM
bvon44

Ted Nolan got a team with a defensive core of Witt, Poti, Bergeron, Campoli, Gervais, Sean Hill, and Drew Fata into the playoffs....look at that defense and tell me that this year's is any worse.

bvon44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 10:51 AM
redbull
Expect more

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19NYSports91 View Post
And Boudreau with Anaheim (and WAS before that)

And Carlyle in Toronto (missing Lupul, Frattin, Reimer)

And Capuano, missing Joensuu and....uhhh.....PAP?

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 10:47 AM
CDirt

It was right about this point in the season where Gordon got the axe. I'm gonna say that by this time next week Cappy will be gone. Especially considering the terrible record at home is not going to increase gate revenue.

That alone will be enough for Wang to pull the trigger.

CDirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 11:14 AM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
#beLIeve

According to BD on Twitter he says this:

B.D. Gallof ‏@BDGallof
Fact is, #isles are only a couple of games from just above .500 which is a reasonable tract this season despite. Next 5 gms are key

https://twitter.com/BDGallof/status/306779108040392704

B.D. Gallof ‏@BDGallof
HOWEVER... Next 5 games are critical for HIM & #isles season. Must accrue at least 8pts. Disasters at home in front of owner could oust him

https://twitter.com/BDGallof/status/306778874497343488

B.D. Gallof ‏@BDGallof
Best guess on Capuano tenure with #isles is he lasts thru year... bottom-line is how much below preseason expectations are they really?

https://twitter.com/BDGallof/status/306778509781651456

02-27-2013, 11:18 AM
InformTheMasses

It's time for Capuano to Go? Oh my gosh, what time is it.... 2 years ago?

InformTheMasses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 12:47 PM
redbull
Expect more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeland Security View Post

B.D. Gallof ‏@BDGallof
Fact is, #isles are only a couple of games from just above .500 which is a reasonable tract this season despite. Next 5 gms are key

B.D. Gallof ‏@BDGallof
HOWEVER... Next 5 games are critical for HIM & #isles season. Must accrue at least 8pts. Disasters at home in front of owner could oust him

B.D. Gallof ‏@BDGallof
Best guess on Capuano tenure with #isles is he lasts thru year... bottom-line is how much below preseason expectations are they really?

no disrespect to BD, but this isn't really anything we don't know. There's no real info here. More importantly, this team has zero accountability in EVERY role - from owner down to the #7 dman and #14 forward.

Except Aucoin sits after going scoreless for a dozen games and Ullstrom for a few ineffective games....but you can't bench everyone, can you?

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 02:13 PM
Isles hat
E N F O R C E R

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformTheMasses View Post
It's time for Capuano to Go? Oh my gosh, what time is it.... 2 years ago?
Your not kidding... Caps is a high school coach at best. But Wang is the real problem here.

Isles hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 02:53 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeland Security View Post

B.D. Gallof ‏@BDGallof

B.D. Gallof ‏@BDGallof

B.D. Gallof ‏@BDGallof

What are the OWNER'S expectations?

Hire the best and do whatever it takes to win?

I just threw up a little typing that.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 06:14 AM
leaponover

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptDenisPotvin View Post
Ask yourself one question, if cappy IS fired will any other team in the NHL hire or even interview him as their next head coach? A resounding "no"...so while everyone can blame the rosters talent level (which isnt great IMO) we dont have a coach getting the most out of them either. There are a lot of teams that lack talent that are better us. If we get a coach that gets the most out of our roster, we may not need as much as we think...but to really evaluate what you have, the current roster has to play at maximum capacity which IMO cappy can not accomplish at this point
Just like to say that people said this about Laviolette and Gordon and both of them are still behind a bench...not both as head coach. My point is this is kind of *********. Yes I think there needs to be a change, but I don't necessarily think Capuano can't be a good coach with a change in scenery. That's like saying Ruff is washed up... With coaching you may lose the reigns on a team but a fresh start gives you a new opportunity and you never know how teams will look at Cappy...

leaponover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 06:57 AM
InformTheMasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaponover View Post
Just like to say that people said this about Laviolette and Gordon and both of them are still behind a bench...not both as head coach. My point is this is kind of *********. Yes I think there needs to be a change, but I don't necessarily think Capuano can't be a good coach with a change in scenery. That's like saying Ruff is washed up... With coaching you may lose the reigns on a team but a fresh start gives you a new opportunity and you never know how teams will look at Cappy...
Guess i didn't read these boards back then, but if anyone ever thought laviolette wasn't a quality nhl coach they shouldn't be taken seriously or used as a reference to make a point.

InformTheMasses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 06:59 AM
19NYSports91

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaponover View Post
Don't ever compare laviolette to capuano.

19NYSports91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 10:16 PM
Islanderfan17

Please ****ing fire this ****ing abomination of a ****ing coach

Islanderfan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 11:06 PM
A Pointed Stick
Spend? Of Course!

Nice line change there, Crappy... I wouldn't let you bench boss a rec team.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote