HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

It's time for Capuano to go

Old
03-01-2013, 02:09 PM
kasper11

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekJR321 View Post
We beat the Rags, we beat the Penguins, we've beaten pretty good teams this year.

The roster is NOT horrible. They could be a playoff team. I don't care what anyone says. No, they are not perfect.. but the potential is there. And we have some damn good players developing with the Sound Tigers. So the roster is not so "OMG WE SUCK!" as some of you make it out to be.

But... as much as I like Cappy.. the lines are a joke. The players are not paired properly. He rewards crappy play. He calls time outs at the wrong time. He pulls the goalie too early, and leaves him in at the wrong opportunity. Bottom line is, he makes too many mistakes. So yes.. I think a new coach might be a strong benefit.
Every team occasionally wins against good teams. Columbus has beaten Detroit twice and Nashville. Florida has beaten Philly and Pittsburgh. WAshington has wins against Philly and NJ.

This team is not good enough to win unless it plays at its absolute best and the other team plays poorly. That is not going to happen consistently.

kasper11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 04:41 PM
okie21

Looking at the schedule, I would think Cappy has to turn it around this week or he should be gone. After the Pens game on 3/10 they have 3 days off between games and 2 games over the course of 8 days. Im not saying I think the Isles will do this, but to me it makes sense. It would give the new coach some time to run practices and get the his message across to the players.

okie21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 04:45 PM
xIsle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doshell Propivo View Post
You're right. Everything else is just rosey...
Yeah, this is what I said. Everything else is rosey....
Can't you see that, if Charles Wang sell the team, most probably everything else will be back in place, I mean by that, and I hope, accountability and a desire to win?

Now, can you tell me why you want to get rid of the scouting staff when they probably work with a very tiny budget? Same can be said about Garth Snow who is most probably a puppet to the owner?

And now you're defending, or should I said, you're suggesting that we can not analyze, correctly, the work done by Capuano after 2 years? Really? I'm gonna do it anyway!

It's been now two years since this team is amorphous, it's been two years since these players (most of them), for the right or wrong reasons, do not show up. It's not complicated, a coach present a game plan, The players buy it or not. Here, obviously, the players do not buy it! So what's your solution? You trade 90% of the players and you keep Capuano? That's a lot of trouble and not worth the trouble, especially not for Capuano!

Just my .02$:
The impression I have is that the players dislike him (or don't respect him as a head coach). By making bad decisions or not at all (because he's seems afraid), like from time to time change the trios when things are not going well, just to show to the players that you are willing to trust them in a different role. No. He prefers to not change anything and instead sends that kind of message "there is nothing to do with you, you're all rotten anyway!" You think the players will respond positively to this? To Pat Burns perhaps, but to Jack Capuano? Never! Players have likely started talking behind his back. Stuff like "This is no coach!" "He knows nothing!" etc.. It begins with one player who is not happy and it can quickly take momentum (when the team is not winning). And than you have a team that is most of the time flat. It's the reply of the players to the coach. Yeah, the talent is lacking, no doubt, but for me, they are no excuse to be "flat" or making mental error. Or having Brad Boyes on a same line with Matt Moulson! And did you take a look at Ottawa's roster? They're playing without Spezza, Karlsson, their number one goalie, Cowen. They are 5-0-1 in their last 6 games. That's what a good coach can do. Or a coach who still have the "faith" of his players.

xIsle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 05:44 PM
Mr Wentworth
Arch Duke of Raleigh

I think this goes here...Perhaps its own thread?

Anyone get the notion that Snow is just "mailing it in" this season?
That he's writing it off?

What makes you say that, Mr. Wentworth?

Good question my flatulent friend.

When you consider the lines for next year, it probably be a big jump from this years.
Strome
Nino
DeHaan

Possibly
Nelson
Kabanov
Lee

There shouldn't be too much of a need to dumpster dive on the waiver wire....

So, perhaps Cappy is around b/c Snow is willing to write off this season (which really isn't a season) since he knows next year should be better; so, if the season is going to be written off, why replace Cappy?

Then there's the possibilty of moving to Brooklyn next season (don't count it out!) and, if that is announced before free agency day...well...it could be another factor in just letting this season slide on by...

Mr Wentworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 05:49 PM
Veteran journeyman

Coach has to go. Someone please name a single thing Cappy does well. He gets schooled with matchups even when he's the home team, his lines and lineups rarely make any sense...it seems like every player that's starting to look halfway decent either gets scratched or put on a line with two people who can't possibly help him, there doesn't appear to be any sort of structure to how the team approaches defense, he pulls goalies when he should leave them in, leaves them in when they need to be changed...even if you think the roster is the worst in the NHL (frankly, I think it's at least comparable to Toronto and Winnipeg, both of which are currently in the top-8), there are other things at stake here with an inexperienced roster...player development, for one. The man had a decent message immediately after Gordon that helped the team climb out from under the crushing, rigid Go-Go nonsense. But he's clearly not the right guy here. My only fear is Snow picking his replacement. He has strengths as a GM, but picking coaches doesn't appear to be one of them.

Veteran journeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 05:55 PM
Sheva7
Work Hahd Play Smaht

Our special teams are both top ten in the league, and I think that's in large part to his work. That's good coaching.

But on the flip side, this is a team that is a non-threat 5on5, that is incredibly inconsistant, can't win at home, comes out flat/uninspired, and can't get production from anyone outside the top line. Definitely not good coaching.

Capuano knows his x's and O's, seems like a solid guy, but for whatever reason some players just aren't responding to him.

Guys like Okposo/Bailey should have more than 5-6pts. They're not amazing players by any means, but they're better than what they're playing like right now. And I think that comes back to Jack and why it's just a matter of time before he moves on.
It's time. Too many players on this team are underachieving and not playing to their potential.

New coach will probably be Weight, so I hope he works out. I have a feeling he will and the guys will respect him and play harder for him.

Last edited by Sheva7: 03-01-2013 at 06:03 PM.
Sheva7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 06:02 PM
Islander102

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheva7 View Post
Our special teams are both top ten in the league, and I think that's in large part to his work. That's good coaching.

But on the flip side, this is a team that is a non-threat 5on5, that is incredibly inconsistant, can't win at home, comes out flat/uninspired, and can't get production from anyone outside the top line. Definitely not good coaching.

Capuano knows his x's and O's, seems like a solid guy, but for whatever reason some players just aren't responding to him.

Guys like Okposo/Bailey should have more than 5-6pts. They're not amazing players by any means, but they're better than what they're playing like right now. And I think that comes back to Jack and why it's just a matter of time before he moves on.
It's time.

New coach will probably be Weight, so I hope he works out. I have a feeling he will and the guys will respect him and play harder for him.
Weight coaches the PP, Thompson the PK. Capuano doesn't coach special teams.

Islander102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 06:05 PM
Sheva7
Work Hahd Play Smaht

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islander102 View Post
Weight coaches the PP, Thompson the PK. Capuano doesn't coach special teams.
I know that, but Cappy is the head coach. He gets the final call. You can't cross him out of the equation.

Lol I'm trying to give the guy at least a tiny bit of credit.

Last edited by Sheva7: 03-01-2013 at 08:19 PM.
Sheva7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 06:52 PM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Wentworth View Post

When you consider the lines for next year, it probably be a big jump from this years.
Strome
Nino
DeHaan

Possibly
Nelson
Kabanov
Lee

So, perhaps Cappy is around b/c Snow is willing to write off this season (which really isn't a season) since he knows next year should be better; so, if the season is going to be written off, why replace Cappy?

Then there's the possibilty of moving to Brooklyn next season (don't count it out!) and, if that is announced before free agency day...well...it could be another factor in just letting this season slide on by...
Your theory would have to be under the pretense that the Islanders management actually had the ability to PLAN.

scott99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 08:26 PM
C77

The Islanders don't play good defensive hockey and obviously that's a combination of the personnel and coaching. You can't win enough games to be a good team in today's NHL by giving up three and a half goals per game. It just doesn't happen.

There is a massive difference in the way MacLean has his team playing in Ottawa without Spezza, Karlsson, Anderson, and Michalek compared to the way the relatively healthy Islanders are playing. Ottawa is icing a team that has several AHL'ers on it but they play within their structure and get results. It's not pretty at all but it's effective.

C77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 08:33 PM
isleskovalchuk

Excellent article about Cappy. This team needs structure, it looks like we are playing pond hockey most nights. With structure this team would be in a playoff position right now.

http://thehockeywriters.com/new-york...-jack-capuano/

isleskovalchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 08:43 PM
C77

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleskovalchuk View Post
Excellent article about Cappy. This team needs structure, it looks like we are playing pond hockey most nights. With structure this team would be in a playoff position right now.

I wish offensive hockey could win games nowadays but it hasn't been that way for awhile. Toronto played some entertaining hockey a couple years ago with Kaberle making stretch passes to Kessel and it got them one of the worst records in the league.

It's pretty much been proven that it's very effective to coach the players to be automatons working in the "system". The creativity that made guys like Denis Savard so special doesn't really exist in the league and if the league had a few players like that they'd probably be on LTIR anyway.

C77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 09:03 PM
kasper11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Wentworth View Post

Strome
Nino
DeHaan

Possibly
Nelson
Kabanov
Lee

I have thought that from the beginning of the season.

The only chance the Isles had to be competitive this year was if one of Strome or Nino could provide offense and one of Reinhart/De Haan/Donovan could step in and play quality minutes on d (yes, Strait was solid, but Snow couldn't count on him being available).

Once we left Nino and Donavan down and didn't give Strome or Reinhart a chance in practice I figured that the team was just looking to get by this year and was already focused on next.

I think the lockout hurts this team more than many (higher percentage of games against tough division, compressed schedule leads to more injuries and the team has little to no depth, abbreviated training camp means less coaching time for young players). Between that and the Visnovsky situation (he said he was coming, but Snow couldn't count on it) I think Snow saw the Isles playoff chances go from difficult to remote.

Given the team's budget concerns, Snow/Wang decided to save money (ok, they do that every year) and pickup waived players rather than make any actual moves and let the prospects develop for the rest of the year.

kasper11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 09:23 PM
Mr Wentworth
Arch Duke of Raleigh

Quote:
excellent article about cappy. This team needs structure, it looks like we are playing pond hockey most nights. With structure this team would be in a playoff position right now.

everybody must read this!

Mr Wentworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 09:24 PM
RMimagery

Quote:

Excellent article that hits on so many points.

Guy Carbonneau...make it so!

Suffice to say that a coach of Carbonneau's caliber + Barclays + an emerging top 5 player + solid prospects almost ready = finally some strong free agents. That's of course if ownership is willing to spend money...

Making the playoffs, even just getting in, pushes the organization forward big time. The winning culture must start now and there's enough here if managed properly.

Can't let this season slip away and time is extra short.

Last edited by RMimagery: 03-01-2013 at 10:11 PM.
RMimagery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 11:45 PM
redbull
springtime hockey!

Quote:

Terrible article, way off base, this guy shouldn't even post on this board, clueless. If he thinks that this roster is more talented than the 06/07 team then he's delusional or simply hasn't watched hockey yet.

That team had DP winning 32 games, six 20+ goal scorers, Blake scoring 40, and the defense was all-star compared to this nonsense. Hell, if you iced that same team today they'd whip this Isles team. Sillinger, Hunter, Hilbert was a better 3rdline than any second line since.

And who the hell would think Capuano should have rewarded Nino with PP time last year...omg, unreal. What Nino was he watching? 10min a night for 55 games and the worst +/- of any forward....even Mitch Fritz was better than Nino.

I'm not suggesting Capuano is a good coach, there's no evidence to suggest as much. But there's overwhelming support for the idea that Snow is a horrible GM since his team has never finished outside the lottery, whichever coach he decided to hire.

Why not have another coaching scapegoat?! Go for it. Let's see what the next under qualified sucker will do with this roster. Maybe the money/cap spent on Yashin, DiPietro, Thomas, can be fruitfull with a new voice in the room.

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 06:40 AM
xIsle

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
Terrible article, way off base, this guy shouldn't even post on this board, clueless. If he thinks that this roster is more talented than the 06/07 team then he's delusional or simply hasn't watched hockey yet.

That team had DP winning 32 games, six 20+ goal scorers, Blake scoring 40, and the defense was all-star compared to this nonsense. Hell, if you iced that same team today they'd whip this Isles team. Sillinger, Hunter, Hilbert was a better 3rdline than any second line since.

And who the hell would think Capuano should have rewarded Nino with PP time last year...omg, unreal. What Nino was he watching? 10min a night for 55 games and the worst +/- of any forward....even Mitch Fritz was better than Nino.

I'm not suggesting Capuano is a good coach, there's no evidence to suggest as much. But there's overwhelming support for the idea that Snow is a horrible GM since his team has never finished outside the lottery, whichever coach he decided to hire.

Why not have another coaching scapegoat?! Go for it. Let's see what the next under qualified sucker will do with this roster. Maybe the money/cap spent on Yashin, DiPietro, Thomas, can be fruitfull with a new voice in the room.
I agree with you about Niederreiter. This is not a good argument. Niederreiter should not have been in the NHL last year. He was clearly not ready. Cap hit purpose!

But on the other hand, I wonder if Capuano has not had a good discussion with Niederreiter just to reassure him or tell him, as did the Bruins and Pat Burns with Joe Thornton, "here's the plan we have for you." I remember that Thornton played his entire first season on the fourth line and he was not worried because he knew the intentions of the team towards him. I feel that Niederreiter was rather in the dark throughout the season, and it is there that we can surely criticized Capuano, if it's the case.

xIsle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 08:24 AM
doublechili

vCash: 398
People can talk about the quality of the roster, etc., but I feel like I've been watching hockey long enough to recognize a badly coached team when I see one. In the handful of games I've seen this year it's been obvious to me that Capuano should go. Blame the owner and GM too, but even with the roster he has it's apparent to me watching the games that this team lacks strong leadership behind the bench, in the lockerroom and at practices. And a good coach is especially important to a team of young players. Just wanted to get that on the record.

doublechili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 08:50 AM
IslesNorway

The way that Toronto was able to slice through our defense like a hot knife through butter is sign enough of a badly coached team. With the exception of JT none of our players are actually improving considerably (quite the contrary) and to me that is proof enough he'll have to go

IslesNorway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 09:59 AM
Islanderfan17

Quote:

Thank you! This article is perfect, literally everything I've been saying about Capuano for weeks now.

By the way, I've wanted this guy fired since LAST SEASON. He is a terrible coach and it's so obvious to me, I don't know how some people are being Capuano apologists. I know that the rest of the organization is a joke as well, but that doesn't mean we can't get more out of this team with a better coach.

Islanderfan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 12:35 PM
blitzkriegs

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublechili View Post
People can talk about the quality of the roster, etc., but I feel like I've been watching hockey long enough to recognize a badly coached team when I see one. In the handful of games I've seen this year it's been obvious to me that Capuano should go. Blame the owner and GM too, but even with the roster he has it's apparent to me watching the games that this team lacks strong leadership behind the bench, in the lockerroom and at practices. And a good coach is especially important to a team of young players. Just wanted to get that on the record.
Agreed, the isles are at the point where a quality respected NHL coach is critical to get the everyone on the same page AND push the "future" (the isles years of first rounders that are floundering) to reach their potential or move on.

Look at STL and PHO about the difference between having a respected NHL coach with a bona-fide system and the Isles with their Friday night pick up hockey team.

blitzkriegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 02:39 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by xIsle View Post
I agree with you about Niederreiter. This is not a good argument. Niederreiter should not have been in the NHL last year. He was clearly not ready. Cap hit purpose!

But on the other hand, I wonder if Capuano has not had a good discussion with Niederreiter just to reassure him or tell him, as did the Bruins and Pat Burns with Joe Thornton, "here's the plan we have for you." I remember that Thornton played his entire first season on the fourth line and he was not worried because he knew the intentions of the team towards him. I feel that Niederreiter was rather in the dark throughout the season, and it is there that we can surely criticized Capuano, if it's the case.
They tried Nino on the third line multiple times and gave up, you'll recall. They tried, yet again, throwing **** on a wall to see what sticks.

I doubt they gave Nino the right coaching. The right coaching would have him try little things like hitting and skating and learning to check like a pro for defensive and offensive purposes but Nino looked like Okposo without the stickhandling.

I think they tried to get him to play the prototypical Islander power foreward game which means skate on the outside, avoid hits, go near the net but run away scared and when you turn the puck over trying to not get hit, skate back as if you can help defend against an opposing rush. Rinse. Repeat.

Thornton on LI if we were developing him would not be Joe Thornton but Izzy lite.

I WISH we had Nolan when we brought up Nino prematurely.....someone would have at least been able to work with him, determine he wasn't matured enough and be {somewhat} vocal when the Cap Evasion Twins kept him up anyway.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 02:43 PM
doublechili

vCash: 398
Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzkriegs View Post
Agreed, the isles are at the point where a quality respected NHL coach is critical to get the everyone on the same page AND push the "future" (the isles years of first rounders that are floundering) to reach their potential or move on.

Look at STL and PHO about the difference between having a respected NHL coach with a bona-fide system and the Isles with their Friday night pick up hockey team.
Yeah, just think about how horrible the Isles were as an expansion team. Then they hired Arbour as coach and traded for Parise and Drouin and they turned the whole thing around in one season. This team desperately needs a strong coach and a couple of contributing veteran leaders at the top of the roster.

doublechili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 02:52 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublechili View Post
Yeah, just think about how horrible the Isles were as an expansion team. Then they hired Arbour as coach and traded for Parise and Drouin and they turned the whole thing around in one season. This team desperately needs a strong coach and a couple of contributing veteran leaders at the top of the roster.
Makes ya wonder if Smith didn't get fired.....Neil Smith had Nolan, brought in Witt and Sillinger and drafted very well.

Thanks, Cholly.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 03:42 PM
Lek

Send a message via AIM to Lek
Biy...we could really use another Witt and Sillinger...

Lek is offline   Reply With Quote