HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

It's time for Capuano to go

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-02-2013, 05:11 PM
  #426
iLandHer
Registered User
 
iLandHer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 2,967
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheva7 View Post
I know that, but Cappy is the head coach. He gets the final call. You can't cross him out of the equation.

Lol I'm trying to give the guy at least a tiny bit of credit.
When you don't know enough and someone else is teaching you something better than what you know, are you going to tell them not to run it?

He can see when these other guys are right with their systems, but he doesn't know how to conceive, adjust, coach any of them himself. That's the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
Terrible article, way off base, this guy shouldn't even post on this board, clueless. If he thinks that this roster is more talented than the 06/07 team then he's delusional or simply hasn't watched hockey yet.

That team had DP winning 32 games, six 20+ goal scorers, Blake scoring 40, and the defense was all-star compared to this nonsense. Hell, if you iced that same team today they'd whip this Isles team. Sillinger, Hunter, Hilbert was a better 3rdline than any second line since.

And who the hell would think Capuano should have rewarded Nino with PP time last year...omg, unreal. What Nino was he watching? 10min a night for 55 games and the worst +/- of any forward....even Mitch Fritz was better than Nino.

I'm not suggesting Capuano is a good coach, there's no evidence to suggest as much. But there's overwhelming support for the idea that Snow is a horrible GM since his team has never finished outside the lottery, whichever coach he decided to hire.

Why not have another coaching scapegoat?! Go for it. Let's see what the next under qualified sucker will do with this roster. Maybe the money/cap spent on Yashin, DiPietro, Thomas, can be fruitfull with a new voice in the room.
I think you're being overly critical of the article because of one segment or two pieces.

As a coach, you need to recognize what is going to help you win. If putting Nino on the PP is going to help the team, you do it, regardless of how he is when he's out in other areas. Streit wasn't allowed to touch the ice during 5 on 5 play before he came to LI, yet he ran the PP. If it helps the team, you do it. And in the instance of Nino, some PP time might help him get into a bit of a rhythm offensively.

What about the other portions that suggest Capuano doesn't even have a real system in place for the defensive end? That's accurate. Middle school teams have a better breakout and defensive zone coverage than this Isles team, and I really wish I was joking.

The forecheck is a joke as well and the only areas we're any good at are the two areas Capuano doesn't touch. Simply amazing.

As for this team being more talented than that '07 team. It's probably pretty close in the talent department and this team probably has more raw talent, the difference is that the '07 playoff team had a lot of veterans on it. Those guys knew what their game was and how to play to win and could play within a system. The team was probably a little deeper, but not much. There's really no reason this team with the talent they have can't grab an 8th seed.

iLandHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 05:52 PM
  #427
xIsle
Registered User
 
xIsle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Montreal
Posts: 834
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
They tried Nino on the third line multiple times and gave up, you'll recall. They tried, yet again, throwing **** on a wall to see what sticks.

I doubt they gave Nino the right coaching. The right coaching would have him try little things like hitting and skating and learning to check like a pro for defensive and offensive purposes but Nino looked like Okposo without the stickhandling.

I think they tried to get him to play the prototypical Islander power foreward game which means skate on the outside, avoid hits, go near the net but run away scared and when you turn the puck over trying to not get hit, skate back as if you can help defend against an opposing rush. Rinse. Repeat.

Thornton on LI if we were developing him would not be Joe Thornton but Izzy lite.

I WISH we had Nolan when we brought up Nino prematurely.....someone would have at least been able to work with him, determine he wasn't matured enough and be {somewhat} vocal when the Cap Evasion Twins kept him up anyway.
Frankly, I don't remember seeing Niederreiter playing multiple time on the 3rd line last year. If you look Niederreiter's game log on NHL.com, you will notice that most of his games (with the exception of 2 I believe), he played between 6 to 11 minutes (and most of the times it was 7 to 9 minutes).

But I do remember Niederreiter on a 3rd line and it was during the season 2010-11. It was under Scott Gordon and he was on a line with Doug Weight and Michael Grabner! And his ice time for this 9 games stint was between 11 to 15 minutes! And he was just -1! But Niederreiter was clearly not ready and rightly so, the Islanders send him back to his junior team.

So the approach of Gordon and Capuano were very different. Gordon use him on a 3rd line, he was not ready and send him back to his junior team. Capuano use him on a 4th line, Niederreiter is still not ready (or certainly not in a position to succeed), but Capuano/Snow/Wang decided to keep him on the 4th line anyway! (most probably for cap hit reason)

xIsle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 05:58 PM
  #428
Mr Wentworth
Arch Duke of Raleigh
 
Mr Wentworth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 4,906
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
Terrible article, way off base, this guy shouldn't even post on this board, clueless. If he thinks that this roster is more talented than the 06/07 team then he's delusional or simply hasn't watched hockey yet.

That team had DP winning 32 games, six 20+ goal scorers, Blake scoring 40, and the defense was all-star compared to this nonsense. Hell, if you iced that same team today they'd whip this Isles team. Sillinger, Hunter, Hilbert was a better 3rdline than any second line since.

And who the hell would think Capuano should have rewarded Nino with PP time last year...omg, unreal. What Nino was he watching? 10min a night for 55 games and the worst +/- of any forward....even Mitch Fritz was better than Nino.

I'm not suggesting Capuano is a good coach, there's no evidence to suggest as much. But there's overwhelming support for the idea that Snow is a horrible GM since his team has never finished outside the lottery, whichever coach he decided to hire.

Why not have another coaching scapegoat?! Go for it. Let's see what the next under qualified sucker will do with this roster. Maybe the money/cap spent on Yashin, DiPietro, Thomas, can be fruitfull with a new voice in the room.
Anyone remember that coach rating from about a year ago?

It rated usage of players and what-not.

Any Cappy's ratings were basically, "WTF is he doing?"

All this Nino talk...
I work at the PNC arena, and after an Isles/'Canes game, Cappy was 15 feet from me texting away. "What should I ask him?" "Can I just walk up to him and ask him something? Will I get in trouble?" Well, I didn't ask him anything, mainly b/c I couldn't think of anything. Of course, 10 minutes later, the question pops into my head, "Don't you think you should give Nino some time on JT's right wing? Put him with some players where he has a chance to shine as opposed to wallow with a handful of minutes night in and night out?"

If we are going to judge Cappy on Nino's treatment, I'm going to with I just wrote. Yes, he shouldn't be out there in high pressure situations, but he needed to pay with people who could (help) make him the player he's supposed to be. I'm not talking night in and night out to be on JT's right side, but perahps Grabs, Bailey and Nino....just giving him time with Reasoner only hurt him.

Mr Wentworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 07:23 PM
  #429
Hip Of Rick
Registered User
 
Hip Of Rick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 6,379
vCash: 500
The Nino argument all goes back to Snow/Wang and not Capuano. Capuano gave Nino first line time in camp last season and Capuano clearly thought Nino was not ready based on Nino starting on the 4th line. Capunao did not want Nino on the roster and was forced to have him here because of Snow/Wang. Nino flat out sucked last season and Capuano was correct.

Its a coaches job at the NHL level to try to ice his best lineup to win every game, not baby and shelter a 19 year old who should be in juniors. Nino earned nothing last season and thats what he was given.

I am not a Capuano fan but the roster these last two seasons leaves him little choice other than to finish out of the playoffs. At best people think we should "grab the 8th seed", that is ****ing pathetic that Snow/Wang have people brainwashed people into thinking that the 8th seed is an accomplishment. 53% of the teams make the playoffs...

Hip Of Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 06:12 AM
  #430
xIsle
Registered User
 
xIsle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Montreal
Posts: 834
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hip Of Rick View Post
The Nino argument all goes back to Snow/Wang and not Capuano. Capuano gave Nino first line time in camp last season and Capuano clearly thought Nino was not ready based on Nino starting on the 4th line. Capunao did not want Nino on the roster and was forced to have him here because of Snow/Wang. Nino flat out sucked last season and Capuano was correct.

Its a coaches job at the NHL level to try to ice his best lineup to win every game, not baby and shelter a 19 year old who should be in juniors. Nino earned nothing last season and thats what he was given.

I am not a Capuano fan but the roster these last two seasons leaves him little choice other than to finish out of the playoffs. At best people think we should "grab the 8th seed", that is ****ing pathetic that Snow/Wang have people brainwashed people into thinking that the 8th seed is an accomplishment. 53% of the teams make the playoffs...
So for Capuano, it was 1st line or 4th for Niederreiter? That's pretty stupid. Why not second or third line? Anyway, I'm not here to defend Niederreiter because he was obviously not ready for NHL and I would have preferred to see him back in the WHL, but I do believe he was misdirected by Capuano too (by what I suspect a total lack of communication).

And don't people find it odd, that Niederreiter as an 18 year old, his having 3rd line minutes (under Gordon) while playing with better players (Weight and Grabner), but as an 19 yo, he's already get "demoted" to 4th line duties, playing with less talented players while players like Rolston, Comeau, Okposo, Bailey, etc were playing like ****? I'm pretty sure, Gordon would have use Niederreiter on the 2nd or 3rd line under those circumstances.

xIsle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 01:23 PM
  #431
OlTimeHockey
Registered User
 
OlTimeHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: home
Country: China
Posts: 15,663
vCash: 500
Gorton was a **** coach. Cappy's bad, but not as bad as Overspittle. The thing that always evades this debate is....NINO WAS HORRIBLE. Several games in, Nino is still skating with his head down and gets laid out doing something no one in Junior would do. He had not ONE assist, his passing was worse than Tomas Pock's and he did nothing to get onto line 3 I can recall save for having ONE goal, his only point, and I'd take him off that line once he weakened it.

Seriously, do you move a player to a better line and make the line WEAKER for one player or do you leave the weakest link on line 4 until he can assume a role without hurting the line you're moving him to?

Win games or develop talent? Does the rule change because it's Nino? Is it the NAME? What play has he made in the NHL to make you say to yourself, "OH! I gotta put this guy next to Tavares NEXT SHIFT!"

I don't think he's ever had a play that told me, "oh, I gotta put him on the third line!"

Sorry, kid was a cap evasion maneuver and needs time. Just like every single power forward labeled prospect we've rushed and given up on.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 02:46 PM
  #432
islandermaniac
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 3,920
vCash: 500
i figured that capuano was going to take his timeout with 19 minutes to go in the first to get the tavares line on the ice for the pp

islandermaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 03:00 PM
  #433
xIsle
Registered User
 
xIsle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Montreal
Posts: 834
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
Gorton was a **** coach. Cappy's bad, but not as bad as Overspittle. The thing that always evades this debate is....NINO WAS HORRIBLE. Several games in, Nino is still skating with his head down and gets laid out doing something no one in Junior would do. He had not ONE assist, his passing was worse than Tomas Pock's and he did nothing to get onto line 3 I can recall save for having ONE goal, his only point, and I'd take him off that line once he weakened it.

Seriously, do you move a player to a better line and make the line WEAKER for one player or do you leave the weakest link on line 4 until he can assume a role without hurting the line you're moving him to?

Win games or develop talent? Does the rule change because it's Nino? Is it the NAME? What play has he made in the NHL to make you say to yourself, "OH! I gotta put this guy next to Tavares NEXT SHIFT!"

I don't think he's ever had a play that told me, "oh, I gotta put him on the third line!"

Sorry, kid was a cap evasion maneuver and needs time. Just like every single power forward labeled prospect we've rushed and given up on.
You don't have to say "sorry"! We all know he was here for cap hit reason.

Now, it is not the coaching job to ensure that your young players gets better as the season progress? Last season, the more the season progressed, the worse was Niederreiter (I know he was not ready, and he should have been playing in the juniors, but nonetheless a little progression should not have been out of question. Yet, it's the contrary that happen). And the same can said right now with Ullstrom. Okposo is another one who regressed. Tavares seems the only one to not regressed under Capuano. That's because he's a special talent, not because of Capuano!

xIsle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 05:59 PM
  #434
islandermaniac
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 3,920
vCash: 500
i don't understand why no message was sent to okposo after his stupid penalty. that penalty wasn't a player getting tough and having a bad call made against him. it was an offensive zone penalty, period. the result? not a shift missed that i could see. i asked in another thread if okposo has unflattering pictures of charles wang or something. beyond that, i don't get it.

islandermaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 06:04 PM
  #435
crashthenet
Registered User
 
crashthenet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Hockey Falls
Posts: 3,693
vCash: 500
Grabner is the best left wing on the team.

crashthenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 02:14 PM
  #436
duster19
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,346
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashthenet View Post
Grabner is the best left wing on the team.
The did not use him against the Sens much. He was playing with Reasoner, which is just a waste. Reasoner is just poison.

duster19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 09:07 AM
  #437
okie21
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Coram, NY
Posts: 283
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hip Of Rick View Post
The Nino argument all goes back to Snow/Wang and not Capuano. Capuano gave Nino first line time in camp last season and Capuano clearly thought Nino was not ready based on Nino starting on the 4th line. Capunao did not want Nino on the roster and was forced to have him here because of Snow/Wang. Nino flat out sucked last season and Capuano was correct.

Its a coaches job at the NHL level to try to ice his best lineup to win every game, not baby and shelter a 19 year old who should be in juniors. Nino earned nothing last season and thats what he was given.

I am not a Capuano fan but the roster these last two seasons leaves him little choice other than to finish out of the playoffs. At best people think we should "grab the 8th seed", that is ****ing pathetic that Snow/Wang have people brainwashed people into thinking that the 8th seed is an accomplishment. 53% of the teams make the playoffs...
If I remember correctly, talk out of camp was that Nino was playing well. He then suffered an injury which didn't allow him to start the season on time and miss the first 14 games. He then came back in mid November, played in 3 games and was then sat in the press box for the next 4 games with little clue as to why. Then he came back for 2 games and suffered a concusion 11 seconds into his 3rd game back vs Dallas. That concusion forced him to miss another 6 games. He then came back in mid December and was placed on the 4th line to "work on defensive skills with some solid vets". He didn't lose his spot out of camp. He got injured and was never given a chance to succeed after that.

okie21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 10:09 AM
  #438
ScaredStreit
Registered User
 
ScaredStreit's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 4,325
vCash: 61
Nino did play on the 4th line with very crappy linemates-that goes without saying. BUT those linemates scored more than he did! Even they were better! Nino wasn't/isn't ready yet (and may never be). Yes we all want better wingers with Tavares-but right now Nino is NOT the answer. He makes the team worse.

A coach's job is to WIN. Period. That's their most important job. Now we all know that Wang/Snow make the roster and not Cap. But seriously, he got outscored by his linemate Reasoner-and people think he deserved more than the 4th line? HA! What a joke!

PS-I think Cap is a bad coach-but in all honesty with the rosters he's handed-Arbour/Bowman couldn't turn this team around.

ScaredStreit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 11:42 AM
  #439
Veteran journeyman
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 379
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaredStreit View Post
Nino did play on the 4th line with very crappy linemates-that goes without saying. BUT those linemates scored more than he did! Even they were better! Nino wasn't/isn't ready yet (and may never be). Yes we all want better wingers with Tavares-but right now Nino is NOT the answer. He makes the team worse.

A coach's job is to WIN. Period. That's their most important job. Now we all know that Wang/Snow make the roster and not Cap. But seriously, he got outscored by his linemate Reasoner-and people think he deserved more than the 4th line? HA! What a joke!

PS-I think Cap is a bad coach-but in all honesty with the rosters he's handed-Arbour/Bowman couldn't turn this team around.
At the risk of derailing this to a Nino thread...Nino's best attributes are as a front-of-the-net finisher. Not a guy who's going to carry a line or team (yet...anyone who's watched him this year, even aside from the numbers, has to recognize how much better his overall game is now compared to game 1). Put Moulson with Pandolfo and Reasoner and see how many goals he gets. Does that mean Moulson's horrible and should be cast off to oblivion? No. He's not a player that carries a line. He's a catfish that can clean up the garbage...which is very useful when used in the right role.

I recognize that Nino was not ready last season. I never agreed with the "nothing left to learn in juniors" crowd...his numbers there were very good, but not top-5 or even top-10, and certainly not extraordinary. But even with his poor skating and underdeveloped abilities his hands are too good for just one goal. They simply are. Watch him take a bad pass and snap off a shot from his back foot from in close...that's one of his strengths. Tough to use that skill when no one is in the corners digging pucks out and getting them to the front of the net because Pandolfo's still trying to skate into the zone and Reasoner is floating around the blue line. It's a combination of both...Nino wasn't ready and shouldn't have been here, and he was here for all the wrong reasons. But all that said, he was completely misused while here.

When you have the coach and GM saying things like, We know he can score goals, we want him to concentrate on the other areas of the game...that never sounded right. How do they know he can score goals at the NHL level? He was never allowed to play that role and get comfortable playing to his strengths before being asked to expand his game. Again, things he should have been asked to work on in juniors, but if you're going to play him in the NHL, then at least give him every opportunity to succeed.

Veteran journeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 12:40 PM
  #440
OlTimeHockey
Registered User
 
OlTimeHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: home
Country: China
Posts: 15,663
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veteran journeyman View Post
At the risk of derailing this to a Nino thread...Nino's best attributes are as a front-of-the-net finisher. Not a guy who's going to carry a line or team (yet...anyone who's watched him this year, even aside from the numbers, has to recognize how much better his overall game is now compared to game 1). Put Moulson with Pandolfo and Reasoner and see how many goals he gets. Does that mean Moulson's horrible and should be cast off to oblivion? No. He's not a player that carries a line. He's a catfish that can clean up the garbage...which is very useful when used in the right role.

I recognize that Nino was not ready last season. I never agreed with the "nothing left to learn in juniors" crowd...his numbers there were very good, but not top-5 or even top-10, and certainly not extraordinary. But even with his poor skating and underdeveloped abilities his hands are too good for just one goal. They simply are. Watch him take a bad pass and snap off a shot from his back foot from in close...that's one of his strengths. Tough to use that skill when no one is in the corners digging pucks out and getting them to the front of the net because Pandolfo's still trying to skate into the zone and Reasoner is floating around the blue line. It's a combination of both...Nino wasn't ready and shouldn't have been here, and he was here for all the wrong reasons. But all that said, he was completely misused while here.

When you have the coach and GM saying things like, We know he can score goals, we want him to concentrate on the other areas of the game...that never sounded right. How do they know he can score goals at the NHL level? He was never allowed to play that role and get comfortable playing to his strengths before being asked to expand his game. Again, things he should have been asked to work on in juniors, but if you're going to play him in the NHL, then at least give him every opportunity to succeed.
He can score goals.....he's done it. He'll adapt to the tougher defense and goaltending, but he's proven he can score goals. Now he had to play the fourth line because he couldn't succeed on the third line {never should have been here, but regardless...}. You can't weaken the whole team by inserting him with Tavares and he would have weakened the team even on line 2 with Bailey and Nielson.

So....he had to learn to check, backcheck, etc. Thus, he could have become a better player if he'd improved those areas.

Hell, if he improved on half of those areas he would have been promoted to a higher line and stuck. He didn't. The kid was not mature enough or ready for it.

Welcome to NYI cap circumvention development.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 04:04 PM
  #441
Isles hat
E N F O R C E R
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Suffolk County
Country: United States
Posts: 96
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by islandermaniac View Post
i figured that capuano was going to take his timeout with 19 minutes to go in the first to get the tavares line on the ice for the pp
Caps needs to be shipped back to the AHL!

Isles hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 04:27 PM
  #442
Sidney the Kidney
All zee Germans!
 
Sidney the Kidney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,716
vCash: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
Gorton was a **** coach. Cappy's bad, but not as bad as Overspittle. The thing that always evades this debate is....NINO WAS HORRIBLE. Several games in, Nino is still skating with his head down and gets laid out doing something no one in Junior would do. He had not ONE assist, his passing was worse than Tomas Pock's and he did nothing to get onto line 3 I can recall save for having ONE goal, his only point, and I'd take him off that line once he weakened it.

Seriously, do you move a player to a better line and make the line WEAKER for one player or do you leave the weakest link on line 4 until he can assume a role without hurting the line you're moving him to?
This discussion about Nino and being played on a higher line than 4th line even though his play didn't warrant it reminds me of the situation earlier in the season with the Pens, with Eric Tangradi starting the season on the Malkin/Neal line.

For a couple of seasons, some Pens fans were clamoring for Tangradi to be "given a chance" on a scoring line, arguing that he's not suited to play 3rd or 4th line because he's more of an offensive guy and is better suited playing with talent rather than grinders. When he was on the club and struggled on the 4th line, critics crowed at that as proof he "needs to play in the top six". Nevermind the fact Tangradi simply did NOTHING that suggested he deserved more ice time.

This season comes around, and because Shero struck out on Parise and didn't seem to have a Plan B for scoring line winger, Tangradi played the first three or four games on Malkin and Neal's other wing. Tangradi struggled, didn't seem like he could handle those minutes, didn't look like he knew where to go on the ice, and the end result? Exactly what you described above. Tangradi made that line worse, because now Malkin and Neal had to basically play a winger short every shift, and caused the entire line to struggle at 5 on 5 (Malkin and Neal were primarily getting their points on the PP).

To cut my story short, if a player isn't ready to even show SOMETHING on the 4th line -- anything to indicate he's ready for full time NHL duty -- it makes zero sense to force feed him top six minutes with more talent, hoping that will be the key, when instead you might end up just causing that line to play at a disadvantage.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 11:12 AM
  #443
camper
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 773
vCash: 500
Ever notice he ducks the question from reporters on Martins play, he immediately says.. ya the whole line is playing well...problem is he is deflecting the obvious..Marts is the big hammer....no one is fearing the other guys on the line..no one hits with the punch #17 does...good they feed off him, good they add hits but its easy to follow the big guy if you have any humph in your step.
Think Caps knows he done this kid no favours, #17 works for every inch of ice.and should have been getting 14 mins a long time ago, the team prob. have 7 more points also

camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 11:57 AM
  #444
OlTimeHockey
Registered User
 
OlTimeHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: home
Country: China
Posts: 15,663
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
This discussion about Nino and being played on a higher line than 4th line even though his play didn't warrant it reminds me of the situation earlier in the season with the Pens, with Eric Tangradi starting the season on the Malkin/Neal line.

For a couple of seasons, some Pens fans were clamoring for Tangradi to be "given a chance" on a scoring line, arguing that he's not suited to play 3rd or 4th line because he's more of an offensive guy and is better suited playing with talent rather than grinders. When he was on the club and struggled on the 4th line, critics crowed at that as proof he "needs to play in the top six". Nevermind the fact Tangradi simply did NOTHING that suggested he deserved more ice time.

This season comes around, and because Shero struck out on Parise and didn't seem to have a Plan B for scoring line winger, Tangradi played the first three or four games on Malkin and Neal's other wing. Tangradi struggled, didn't seem like he could handle those minutes, didn't look like he knew where to go on the ice, and the end result? Exactly what you described above. Tangradi made that line worse, because now Malkin and Neal had to basically play a winger short every shift, and caused the entire line to struggle at 5 on 5 (Malkin and Neal were primarily getting their points on the PP).

To cut my story short, if a player isn't ready to even show SOMETHING on the 4th line -- anything to indicate he's ready for full time NHL duty -- it makes zero sense to force feed him top six minutes with more talent, hoping that will be the key, when instead you might end up just causing that line to play at a disadvantage.
Exactly. I'll liken it to another job.....a carpenter. You have a kid who can wow everyone in shop class and has some skill with framing stuff and making shelving or whatnot, but you expect him to work finish carpentry, making crown molding and facia look good with your lead guys rather than learn all aspects of the trade?

The kid won't pick up nails and demo walls and do the framing. He can't lift materials and can't grasp plugging screw holes with matching plugs yet you're gonna give him the third biggest job on site with the master carpenters because you have a good feeling about him?


Nino should be proving he can shut down opponents, hit rushing wingers hard and strip the pointmen of pucks. He should be proving he can clear the zones and skate up on a rush if not start the rush. All the little things.

If he can't do that on a line where, many argue, he is the most talented guy on the line, why can Reasoner and Martin and McDonald do it so much better on line 4 than Nino did?

Where's the cry for THEIR promotion? The only thing that separated those players and Nino is that they could play the 4th line game. Nino couldn't. Suddenly he can play first line wing when he couldn't do the most mundane tasks on the easy line?

The whole argument is based on Nino being a first rounder and our fanbase having no, zero, non, nada, nil, vacant, barren, not one iota, nothing, devoid, depleted, no concept of patience with kids.

I hope he works on the complete game some more so he can do all the tasks required to earn that role.....and starts the season on the 4th line unless he wows his way up to the third line at camp. He'll always have the chance to be on the first line with effort and success.....but many see it as a mandate for promotion he should have. He's earned jack **** on line 1.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 12:03 PM
  #445
88th Precinct
Pitchfork Acquired
 
88th Precinct's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Location
Country: Spain
Posts: 3,635
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
Exactly. I'll liken it to another job.....a carpenter. You have a kid who can wow everyone in shop class and has some skill with framing stuff and making shelving or whatnot, but you expect him to work finish carpentry, making crown molding and facia look good with your lead guys rather than learn all aspects of the trade?

The kid won't pick up nails and demo walls and do the framing. He can't lift materials and can't grasp plugging screw holes with matching plugs yet you're gonna give him the third biggest job on site with the master carpenters because you have a good feeling about him?


Nino should be proving he can shut down opponents, hit rushing wingers hard and strip the pointmen of pucks. He should be proving he can clear the zones and skate up on a rush if not start the rush. All the little things.

If he can't do that on a line where, many argue, he is the most talented guy on the line, why can Reasoner and Martin and McDonald do it so much better on line 4 than Nino did?

Where's the cry for THEIR promotion? The only thing that separated those players and Nino is that they could play the 4th line game. Nino couldn't. Suddenly he can play first line wing when he couldn't do the most mundane tasks on the easy line?

The whole argument is based on Nino being a first rounder and our fanbase having no, zero, non, nada, nil, vacant, barren, not one iota, nothing, devoid, depleted, no concept of patience with kids.

I hope he works on the complete game some more so he can do all the tasks required to earn that role.....and starts the season on the 4th line unless he wows his way up to the third line at camp. He'll always have the chance to be on the first line with effort and success.....but many see it as a mandate for promotion he should have. He's earned jack **** on line 1.

88th Precinct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 10:42 PM
  #446
petrocelli
I love the Draft!!
 
petrocelli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,162
vCash: 500
In honor of Coach Jack Capuano, I am changing my avatar to one that reflects my feelings about him. From his inability to develop lines that actually 'click', his inept distribution of minutes, and his inability to change lines and/or shake things up until months after it was obvious to everything else that change was necessary, Coach Capuano is like:

A MONKEY ******* A FOOTBALL!!

THIS AVATAR IS FOR YOU COACH CAPPY!!!

petrocelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 10:52 PM
  #447
Islanderfan17
Registered User
 
Islanderfan17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 4,624
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by petrocelli View Post
In honor of Coach Jack Capuano, I am changing my avatar to one that reflects my feelings about him. From his inability to develop lines that actually 'click', his inept distribution of minutes, and his inability to change lines and/or shake things up until months after it was obvious to everything else that change was necessary, Coach Capuano is like:

A MONKEY ******* A FOOTBALL!!

THIS AVATAR IS FOR YOU COACH CAPPY!!!


Seriously, fire Cappy already. Guy has no fire. Weight and Thompson got misconducts tonight for christ sakes That's the attitude I'm looking for

Islanderfan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 12:22 AM
  #448
leaponover
Registered User
 
leaponover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Iskan, S. Korea
Country: South Korea
Posts: 2,366
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
Gorton was a **** coach. Cappy's bad, but not as bad as Overspittle. The thing that always evades this debate is....NINO WAS HORRIBLE. Several games in, Nino is still skating with his head down and gets laid out doing something no one in Junior would do. He had not ONE assist, his passing was worse than Tomas Pock's and he did nothing to get onto line 3 I can recall save for having ONE goal, his only point, and I'd take him off that line once he weakened it.

Seriously, do you move a player to a better line and make the line WEAKER for one player or do you leave the weakest link on line 4 until he can assume a role without hurting the line you're moving him to?

Win games or develop talent? Does the rule change because it's Nino? Is it the NAME? What play has he made in the NHL to make you say to yourself, "OH! I gotta put this guy next to Tavares NEXT SHIFT!"

I don't think he's ever had a play that told me, "oh, I gotta put him on the third line!"

Sorry, kid was a cap evasion maneuver and needs time. Just like every single power forward labeled prospect we've rushed and given up on.
You just described Matt Moulson when they picked him up from the Kings...

You pretty much described John Leclair until he was traded to the Flyers and matched with Lindros. You pretty much described almost anybody that got placed with Trottier....Guess history doesn't repeat itself with you though eh?

leaponover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 12:50 AM
  #449
Sidney the Kidney
All zee Germans!
 
Sidney the Kidney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,716
vCash: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by leaponover View Post
You just described Matt Moulson when they picked him up from the Kings...

You pretty much described John Leclair until he was traded to the Flyers and matched with Lindros. You pretty much described almost anybody that got placed with Trottier....Guess history doesn't repeat itself with you though eh?
Are you comparing Nino's performance in his rookie season to the player John LeClair was in Montreal? Because if that's what you're suggesting, you're comparing a 19 year old kid who scored 1 goal in 55 games, to a player who had back-to-back 19 goal seasons before his trade to Philly.

LeClair may not have blossomed into a star until the Philly trade, but he's hardly a good example of a guy who didn't produce *at all* before the trade to the Flyers.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 12:17 PM
  #450
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
#beLIeve
 
Homeland Security's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: NY/FL
Country: United States
Posts: 14,181
vCash: 500
When does Caps contract expire?

__________________
Homeland Security is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:51 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.