HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

It's time for Capuano to go

Old
03-08-2013, 12:26 PM
OlTimeHockey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
Are you comparing Nino's performance in his rookie season to the player John LeClair was in Montreal? Because if that's what you're suggesting, you're comparing a 19 year old kid who scored 1 goal in 55 games, to a player who had back-to-back 19 goal seasons before his trade to Philly.

LeClair may not have blossomed into a star until the Philly trade, but he's hardly a good example of a guy who didn't produce *at all* before the trade to the Flyers.
Holy christ, he did compare Nino to John LeClair, didn't he?

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 12:45 PM
MattMartin
KillerInstinct™

Send a message via MSN to MattMartin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeland Security View Post
When does Caps contract expire?
I have looked everywhere and all i can find is a ESPN article

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/n...ory?id=6336977

"Per team policy, the terms of Capuano's contract were not disclosed."

and a usatoday article which says the same thing

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sport...-capuano_N.htm

"Snow declined to reveal the length or financial terms of Capuano's contract."

MattMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 12:47 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattMartin View Post
I have looked everywhere and all i can find is a ESPN article

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/n...ory?id=6336977

"Per team policy, the terms of Capuano's contract were not disclosed."

and a usatoday article which says the same thing

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sport...-capuano_N.htm

"Snow declined to reveal the length or financial terms of Capuano's contract."
A team spokesmen did say Cappy didn't do anything in Toronto until after the Lindros trade where he became so great, they made him our coach, or something like that.

Old
03-08-2013, 01:02 PM
DeanCrandall

Might as well keep beating our heads against the wall, Cappy for whatever reason is PROTECTED.

How explain a coach with the worst winning percentage in the NHL, and still has a job.

More third period collapses then any other coach , and still has a job.

Worst 5 on 5 performance in the league (head coach) while special teams is more then average in the league (assistant coaches) , and still has a job.

I have a better chance of winning the NY State Lottery then he does of losing his job, and I live in Canada.

DeanCrandall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 01:16 PM
OlTimeHockey

Coaches cost money. Good coaches cost more money.

Just keep buying tickets.

Old
03-08-2013, 01:31 PM
redbull
springtime hockey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
Holy christ, he did compare Nino to John LeClair, didn't he?
I'm giving leaponover a pass on that one. I don't think his intention was to compare Nino to LeClair, rather to suggest that IF GIVEN THE OPPORTUNITY to play with better players, in a role that better suits him, the reason why he was drafted, you'd have a better chance to evaluate his play and Nino would have more of an opportunity to show what he can do.

Which is fair, in one sense....but completely misguided in another sense.

A player needs to earn the minutes. Draft position and potential doesn't get you on Tavares' right wing by default. You have to play ONTO the team.

Moulson earned everything he has. He was shift-to-shift his first year and if he wasn't scoring, he wouldn't have kept his job. And frankly, he was only given a chance because Snow/Wang were too cheap to get anyone better. Thankfully, he's come through as a big-time scorer.

Too many Isles fans feel that a high pick means automatic top six, and many of the same fans won't have the patience to have them develop through much adversity (like Bailey).

In Nino's case, he just wasn't good. He had zero business being in the NHL. Bailey was FAR better than Nino was at the same age and Bailey was also completely overmatched.

The Isles can be a very puzzling and confusing organization, to say the absolute least!

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 01:42 PM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanCrandall View Post
Might as well keep beating our heads against the wall, Cappy for whatever reason is PROTECTED.

How explain a coach with the worst winning percentage in the NHL, and still has a job.
You assume the goal of the Islanders organization is to win hockey games. That was your first mistake.

Richie Daggers Crime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 01:52 PM
Sidney the Kidney
Epic Collapse

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
I'm giving leaponover a pass on that one. I don't think his intention was to compare Nino to LeClair, rather to suggest that IF GIVEN THE OPPORTUNITY to play with better players, in a role that better suits him, the reason why he was drafted, you'd have a better chance to evaluate his play and Nino would have more of an opportunity to show what he can do.
I understand that the intent wasn't to directly compare the play of Nino and LeClair's, but that's exactly why it's a bad example in the first place. One guy had actually shown something, the other had shown nothing.

It's less of a leap of logic to go, "Here's a guy who scored 19 goals on the second/third line in Montreal. So maybe if we play him with Lindros on the first line, he'd produce like a first liner", than it is to say, "Well Nino looks completely and utterly out of his league on the 4th line, so let's put him with Tavares and see him flourish as a top line player".

The gap between the two is too great in terms of what they'd shown they were capable of at the NHL level for it to be even close to a good comparable situation.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 01:54 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:

Which is fair, in one sense....but completely misguided in another sense.

A player needs to earn the minutes. Draft position and potential doesn't get you on Tavares' right wing by default. You have to play ONTO the team.

Moulson earned everything he has. He was shift-to-shift his first year and if he wasn't scoring, he wouldn't have kept his job. And frankly, he was only given a chance because Snow/Wang were too cheap to get anyone better. Thankfully, he's come through as a big-time scorer.

Too many Isles fans feel that a high pick means automatic top six, and many of the same fans won't have the patience to have them develop through much adversity (like Bailey).

In Nino's case, he just wasn't good. He had zero business being in the NHL. Bailey was FAR better than Nino was at the same age and Bailey was also completely overmatched.

The Isles can be a very puzzling and confusing organization, to say the absolute least!
The fun thing is if you try to explain what LeClair would do if put on line 4 on the NYI last season, that he would INSTANTLY earn third line minutes, then score more and play his way up to second line and likely see time on JT's wing before cementing a spot there......it's gonna get to the parrot's ears, you get the same look and walk away wondering why you tried telling a parrot something like that.

Not as insult, but it won't get heard or comprehended no matter what. You WILL get a response, just nothing substantial lending to a debate.

I'd let Nino try next year if HE BEHAVES this summer.....him and his agent both. 4th line, show some hustle and see what happens. All he has to do is outscore Reasoner

Old
03-08-2013, 01:57 PM
CDirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanCrandall View Post

More third period collapses then any other coach , and still has a job.

Worst 5 on 5 performance in the league (head coach) while special teams is more then average in the league (assistant coaches) , and still has a job.

I have a better chance of winning the NY State Lottery then he does of losing his job, and I live in Canada.
I think it will happen at the end of the season. Either way, I'll take one more crappy season if it's only 48 games for another nice pick in the draft. Next seasons camp should get really interesting. We'll most likely have Nino, Kabanov, Strome and Donovan knocking at the door.

I don't expect to see Rheinhart for another two more seasons. At that time Mayfeild and Pedan will be knocking at the door by then as well.

CDirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 02:37 PM
blitzkriegs

Quote:

They were ONLY in the NHL because of their ELC cap hit - no matter how you look at it that is a fact. Same reason DP is now in the AHL because his cap hit NOW counts against the cap, previously it would have never counted ala Redden so he road the bigshow for years to his own detriment to suit Wanger's wallet.

blitzkriegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 02:39 PM
Paulinho
No Man's Sky

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzkriegs View Post
They were ONLY in the NHL because of their ELC cap hit - no matter how you look at it that is a fact. Same reason DP is now in the AHL because his cap hit NOW counts against the cap, previously it would have never counted ala Redden so he road the bigshow for years to his own detriment to suit Wanger's wallet.
The truth.

Paulinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 03:56 AM
drive45

You don't fire Cappy until you know who you want to replace him with. Who's available out there? Paul Maurice is currently coaching Magnitogorsk, but the only really good thing on his resume is taking the 'canes to the SC final series. Do oeople really think that Weight can do the job despite his lack of experience?

drive45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 05:45 AM
DeanCrandall

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive45 View Post
You don't fire Cappy until you know who you want to replace him with.
You don't fire because ???? you might lose and not make the playoffs , isn't that what we have been doing the past 3 seasons ?

DeanCrandall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 06:17 AM
Islanderfan17

Quote:
You don't fire Cappy until you know who you want to replace him with. Who's available out there? Paul Maurice is currently coaching Magnitogorsk, but the only really good thing on his resume is taking the 'canes to the SC final series. Do oeople really think that Weight can do the job despite his lack of experience?
I think anything is better than Cappy at this point, honestly. Personally, I say make Thompson the head coach with Weight as the assistant, but considering the buddy system is relevant in the organization, it'd probably be the other way around.

Islanderfan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 04:21 PM
Macch

Grabner has what 3 goals in his last 3 games and he plays the fewest minutes ever as an islander. Makes sense.

Macch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 05:51 PM
Dutch Frost
Battle Level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macch View Post
Grabner has what 3 goals in his last 3 games and he plays the fewest minutes ever as an islander. Makes sense.
He must be in heavy trade talks or the committee wants to let Okposo and Bailey play more. This is why the Islanders are a mickey mouse organization

Dutch Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 07:53 PM
bigbren92

Capuano's Contract

I was doing some research and apparently nobody knows how long he is under contract for... Shouldn't that information be open to the public? I mean player contracts are open, why not coaches? Shouldn't we have the right to know when that god awful piece of crap wont be behind the bench anymore???

bigbren92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 07:56 PM
Isles Junkie
Brian Strait Sucks

Should they be open to the public...absolutely. But they aren't. the guy probably has a 20 year contract. Who knows.

I'm moving this to the Capuano must go thread, because that's really what it's about anyway.

Isles Junkie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 11:13 PM
Islanderfan17

Ugh, please get rid of this guy. PLEASE. At least Doug Weight won't go and make excuses for this team after every loss AND give them optional skates

Islanderfan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 12:24 AM
13th Floor

Crapuano, just do something different please. His changes are so minor and mostly head-scratching. Over halfway through the season and Tavares has played with THREE players 5 on 5. That is one more than is minimally possible. Good lord, you have a superstar here -- figure something out that works.

The tweaks to the lineup are too insignificant considering our major lines are always in the minus. It's as if he's been given a mandate that certain plays can't be promoted or demoted past a certain point.

I want to see life. Start a damn game playing with Tavares the players who have hustled consistently every night. For one period. What's the worst that can happen, we start off terribly and are behind a few goals? That happens all the time anyway.

13th Floor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 08:04 AM
Mr Wentworth
Arch Duke of Raleigh

His handling of the goalies is another nail in the coffin, to me at least.

Back to back games.
Next game is Thursday.
Does he (or did he) expect Poulin not to play any of them?

Good idea, let the kid get rusty on the bench.

Mr Wentworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 08:58 AM
Veteran journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13th Floor View Post
Crapuano, just do something different please. His changes are so minor and mostly head-scratching. Over halfway through the season and Tavares has played with THREE players 5 on 5. That is one more than is minimally possible. Good lord, you have a superstar here -- figure something out that works.

The tweaks to the lineup are too insignificant considering our major lines are always in the minus. It's as if he's been given a mandate that certain plays can't be promoted or demoted past a certain point.

I want to see life. Start a damn game playing with Tavares the players who have hustled consistently every night. For one period. What's the worst that can happen, we start off terribly and are behind a few goals? That happens all the time anyway.
*currently attempting to start the slow clap in my office after reading this* Nicely said.

Veteran journeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 10:04 AM
kasper11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Wentworth View Post
His handling of the goalies is another nail in the coffin, to me at least.

Back to back games.
Next game is Thursday.
Does he (or did he) expect Poulin not to play any of them?

Good idea, let the kid get rusty on the bench.
Not to mention that you have a 37 year old starter who got absolutely shelled the last time he started back to back games. Hey, lets do it again. What could go wrong?

kasper11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 10:50 AM
CDirt

Quote:
Am I the only one that took notice of "Capuano is going to make a coaching change" screw up during last nights broadcast?

Not only that but the follow up of talking about Mike Keenan and his random benching and goalie pulls?

There's a chance that something is in the water here. I think Cappy has already been informed that he's a lame duck and will not be coming back next season.

CDirt is offline   Reply With Quote