HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

It's time for Capuano to go

Old
03-11-2013, 01:36 PM
luki here

vCash: 500
scraping off the blame on grabner for the loss vs the pens, thats the last straw for me. fire cappy's ass now!

luki here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 03:44 PM
YearlyLottery

The way he handled the goaltending last night was a complete joke.

We can only hope gets fired..

YearlyLottery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 06:28 PM
xIsle

Quote:
Originally Posted by luki here View Post
scraping off the blame on grabner for the loss vs the pens, thats the last straw for me. fire cappy's ass now!
Did Capauno blame Grabner for the loss vs the Pens??

xIsle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 06:33 PM
Bunk Moreland

vCash: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDirt View Post
Am I the only one that took notice of "Capuano is going to make a coaching change" screw up during last nights broadcast?

Not only that but the follow up of talking about Mike Keenan and his random benching and goalie pulls?

There's a chance that something is in the water here. I think Cappy has already been informed that he's a lame duck and will not be coming back next season.
You're reading a bit too much into it.. Even if that situation was happening why on earth would they tell anyone involved in the broadcast or better yet you don't tell a coach your going to fire him in a couple months you just do it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xIsle View Post
Did Capauno blame Grabner for the loss vs the Pens??
No he did not, he called grabner out on the bench after the first goal for his lack of physical play on the events leading to the goal.

Bunk Moreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 06:58 PM
xIsle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk Moreland View Post
No he did not, he called grabner out on the bench after the first goal for his lack of physical play on the events leading to the goal.
Yeah I just read it on an other thread. What a ****ing joke! If there was someone to blame on the first goal, it was Nabokov, not Grabner.
And course, his "favorite" players on the top 6 (Moulson, Boyes, Nielsen and Okposo) are so physical!

He use two passengers on the top line (Moulson and Boyes) and two perimeter players (Okposo and Nielsen) on the second line.

What a ****ing joke of a coach!

xIsle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 07:31 PM
leaponover

Two things I saw from Cappy last night that really make me wonder who wants him to stay...Wang or Snow. I have to think Snow is ready to axe him at this point. Does he really need Wang's approval on that? I wonder.

Anyway, like most on here I agree that not putting Poulin in with a couple mins to go in the 1st...or starting him in the second was just hair brained. I don't want to over think it as there is quite possibly dialogue between Cappy and Nabby and who knows what was said. If it was a respect thing I don't want to bash it too much.

The obvious thing I saw besides the goaltending that has me wanting Cappy to go for sure is how little discipline he doles out. If you are dancing around the fact that you are pissed at the work ethic by guys like Grabner, or Moulson...you had a whole damn third period to let them know it. You could have sat them both. You could have moved up Martin to the first line...or Christ McDonald for that matter. There are many things he could have done to show his frustration with those players and I don't see him doing a damn thing. I'm not ready for Weight or Thompson to take the reigns but please just hire Lindy Ruff and get some disciplined professionalism in here!!!

leaponover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 08:50 PM
Mr Wentworth
Arch Duke of Raleigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaponover View Post
Two things I saw from Cappy last night that really make me wonder who wants him to stay...Wang or Snow. I have to think Snow is ready to axe him at this point. Does he really need Wang's approval on that? I wonder.

Anyway, like most on here I agree that not putting Poulin in with a couple mins to go in the 1st...or starting him in the second was just hair brained. I don't want to over think it as there is quite possibly dialogue between Cappy and Nabby and who knows what was said. If it was a respect thing I don't want to bash it too much.

The obvious thing I saw besides the goaltending that has me wanting Cappy to go for sure is how little discipline he doles out. If you are dancing around the fact that you are pissed at the work ethic by guys like Grabner, or Moulson...you had a whole damn third period to let them know it. You could have sat them both. You could have moved up Martin to the first line...or Christ McDonald for that matter. There are many things he could have done to show his frustration with those players and I don't see him doing a damn thing. I'm not ready for Weight or Thompson to take the reigns but please just hire Lindy Ruff and get some disciplined professionalism in here!!!

Who dat?

Mr Wentworth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 10:27 PM
petrocelli
I love the Draft!!

The lack of ability to win a big game (failed in all 5 attempts to win 3 games in a row)..

His lack of feel for developing lines and changing them when need be

his inability to distribute minutes properly....

and his inability to groom the kids are all reasons he must go.....

It took Cappy an extra 15 games longer than the average HF boards Islanders poster to figure out Cizikas is a damn good player and needs to be in the lineup every night (Reasoner was playing over Cizikas a month ago).. then when Cizikas was finally dressing regularly, it took another 10 games for Cappy to get him more than 9 minutes a night.....

It's the same thing with developing line pairings.... Cappy has no feel for that.. When something isn't clicking, he sticks with it until we are practically buried or the season is lost....

He's got to go!!!

petrocelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 06:41 PM
bluechipbonzo

bluechipbonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 08:38 PM
Doshell Propivo

Quote:
Originally Posted by xIsle View Post
Yeah I just read it on an other thread. What a ****ing joke! If there was someone to blame on the first goal, it was Nabokov, not Grabner.
And course, his "favorite" players on the top 6 (Moulson, Boyes, Nielsen and Okposo) are so physical!

He use two passengers on the top line (Moulson and Boyes) and two perimeter players (Okposo and Nielsen) on the second line.

What a ****ing joke of a coach!
What are the alternatives???

Doshell Propivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 08:43 PM
Doshell Propivo

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrocelli View Post
The lack of ability to win a big game (failed in all 5 attempts to win 3 games in a row)..

His lack of feel for developing lines and changing them when need be

his inability to distribute minutes properly....

and his inability to groom the kids are all reasons he must go.....

It took Cappy an extra 15 games longer than the average HF boards Islanders poster to figure out Cizikas is a damn good player and needs to be in the lineup every night (Reasoner was playing over Cizikas a month ago).. then when Cizikas was finally dressing regularly, it took another 10 games for Cappy to get him more than 9 minutes a night.....

It's the same thing with developing line pairings.... Cappy has no feel for that.. When something isn't clicking, he sticks with it until we are practically buried or the season is lost....

He's got to go!!!
Have you taken a look at the roster? Hard to develop lines when you don't have the talent. Inability to groom kids? Yeah, you bet - the organization has been ruining prospects for almost 20 years. What the hell is the coach supposed to do when his only options (for virtually every position) are inexperienced kids or unqualified has-beens?

Old
03-12-2013, 08:55 PM
Isles Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk Moreland View Post
You're reading a bit too much into it.. Even if that situation was happening why on earth would they tell anyone involved in the broadcast or better yet you don't tell a coach your going to fire him in a couple months you just do it.

They can be controlled though. We're not even moving to Brooklyn according to them.

But back to this whole Grabner thing. You know what bums me out the most about this coach. He won't get on Boyes, Okposo, Bailey, Nielsen or Moulsons case for not being physical. But he tries to make an example out of the 3rd & 4th line guys like Grabner & Ullstrom.

How about he just tries to make an example out of Moulson & Okposo whose body size indicate they should be far more physical then they are. That would actually have an impact on the rest of the players.

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 08:57 PM
kasper11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islanderfan17 View Post
I think anything is better than Cappy at this point, honestly. Personally, I say make Thompson the head coach with Weight as the assistant, but considering the buddy system is relevant in the organization, it'd probably be the other way around.
I have to agree with this part. I just don't see anything Capuano does well.

Motivation is a problem. Yes, they are professionals and should motivate themselves, but they just start out the games flat way too often.

There is no defensive system. None. Unless you count running around like a chicken with its head cut off.

There hasn't been adequate development of the young players. Outside of Tavares, who has really shown a lot of improvement under Capuono? Maybe Grabner, if you look at his improvement during Caps first year. I haven't seen much growth in Hamonic's game. Bailey is a little better defensively than he was. Okposo is worse. Nielsen, Martin and MacDonald are the exact same players they were three years ago. Do I need to mention Nino?

A lot of this is on the crappy team he has. But he adds absolutely nothing to the team. There is no benefit to him being there instead of anybody else.

kasper11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 09:02 PM
leaponover

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasper11 View Post

Motivation is a problem. Yes, they are professionals and should motivate themselves, but they just start out the games flat way too often.

There is no defensive system. None. Unless you count running around like a chicken with its head cut off.

There hasn't been adequate development of the young players. Outside of Tavares, who has really shown a lot of improvement under Capuono? Maybe Grabner, if you look at his improvement during Caps first year. I haven't seen much growth in Hamonic's game. Bailey is a little better defensively than he was. Okposo is worse. Nielsen, Martin and MacDonald are the exact same players they were three years ago. Do I need to mention Nino?

A lot of this is on the crappy team he has. But he adds absolutely nothing to the team. There is no benefit to him being there instead of anybody else.
Wholeheartedly agree....and on a young team a coach who cannot make the players grow and motivate them is really a detriment. We are not a veteran club that sneak by with a guy like Cappy. Every day he stays is a day we get worse, not better.

leaponover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 09:20 PM
Isles Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doshell Propivo View Post
What are the alternatives???
It doesn't hurt to try things though

Moulson JT Martin
Grabner Bailey McDonald
Boyes Nielsen Okposo
Reasoner Cizikas Ullstrom

Or hell try Cizikas on the 2nd line if you're that against moving Bailey back to wing.

Are those lines good? No, our roster is horrible. JT, Moulson & I guess Grabner are the only legit top 6 forwards we have. But try something different.

We have far & away the worst 5 on 5 team in the NHL. IMO the #1 reason for that is because our top 6 is so soft defensively. As soon as we cough up the puck in the offensive zone, we scatter out into center ice, and keep scattering till they're comfortably set up in our zone.

Look at how every other team plays against us. They lose the puck in the offensive zone & they don't just give up, they try to get it back & often they do against us.

Martin & McDonald aren't top 6 players. not by a long shot. But they're both capable 2 way forwards. If Marty McSorley can skate with Wayne Gretzky and drop 30 points a year, then surely Matt Martin can skate with John Tavares.

It really wouldn't kill this team to have some muscle on the top 2 lines that can actually play hockey. Moulson & Okposo should be doing some of that, but they flat out refuse.

The roster is limited, but there are changes that can be made all over the team. They should also break up MacDonald & Hamonic, because for about a month now they've been really dreadful. The PK can be improved. Start off by giving Casey Cizikas a regular spot on the kill. I also think it would be worthwhile to try Okposo out on the PK too. I believe that if you give him that defensive responsibility, then maybe just maybe he'll recapture some of what made him so good in college, AHL & his first couple years in the NHL. He MUST MUST MUST go back to being a hard working defensive player.

Changes can & should be made.

Old
03-12-2013, 09:27 PM
Doshell Propivo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle Junkie View Post

If anything, this team is overachieving. Enjoy the fact that they are still playing relevant games 1/2 way through the season. This is a VERY flawed team yet are still in the playoff picture.

Old
03-12-2013, 09:39 PM
Doshell Propivo

Quote:

There hasn't been adequate development of the young players.
Very true. And if there was, maybe a coach (any coach) would be put in a position to succeed. When his only options are "undeveloped young players" or minor league cast-offs, what do you expect him to develop?

Old
03-12-2013, 09:43 PM
Isles Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doshell Propivo View Post
If anything, this team is overachieving. Enjoy the fact that they are still playing relevant games 1/2 way through the season. This is a VERY flawed team yet are still in the playoff picture.
There's no reason to change up the 1st PP unit. That is what's keeping us alive.

If they change the even strength lines to get some more harder working players into the top 6, then I bet you we'd get more powerplays & thus be a better team.

And the reason we're in the playoff picture is because the playoff format & points system are highly flawed, but that's a different discussion.

Old
03-12-2013, 10:47 PM
Islanderfan17

Quote:

Exactly, and this is what the Cappy apologists are missing out on. Cappy brings absolutely NO positives to this team whatsoever, why not try something else? Take a risk? Throw a dart! Worst case scenario, we get another coach who doesn't bring anything good to the table. Best case scenario (and more likely IMO), we get a coach that brings at least one thing that Cappy doesn't and we have improvement! It's not a very hard concept to grasp, we have absolutely nothing to lose by firing Cappy and replacing him with someone else. There is no way this guy is the reason for any of our success. This team actually has more talent than people like to give them credit for, but Capuano as a coach does not get as much out of this team as he possibly can and that's on him. Ted Nolan took a very mediocre roster to the playoffs because he got the most out of them, plain and simple.

Islanderfan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 02:25 AM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Exactly, and this is what the Cappy apologists are missing out on. Cappy brings absolutely NO positives to this team whatsoever, why not try something else? Take a risk? Throw a dart! Worst case scenario, we get another coach who doesn't bring anything good to the table. Best case scenario (and more likely IMO), we get a coach that brings at least one thing that Cappy doesn't and we have improvement! It's not a very hard concept to grasp, we have absolutely nothing to lose by firing Cappy and replacing him with someone else. There is no way this guy is the reason for any of our success. This team actually has more talent than people like to give them credit for, but Capuano as a coach does not get as much out of this team as he possibly can and that's on him. Ted Nolan took a very mediocre roster to the playoffs because he got the most out of them, plain and simple.
I stuck up for Cappy given the dearth of talent the Isles refuse to improve on and lauded him for letting them play a game I KNOW Wanger hates at the Pitt brawlfest which got the team playing SECOND BEST in the NHL {to NJD} from the Pitt game onwards.

But he has had one full season and this season to continue that gameplan and has not employed it. No heart, no haRd work....just haaaahhhd woik and lucky bounces/BS/BS/etc. excuses.

I never wanted Nolan gone. His work with this team was great, but his work didn't work well with a team owner and GM not caring about success. Cappy? This is tough, but he could have been a good to great coach if he has a good organization IMHO.....but he's been a good soldier for a maniacally inept general and despot.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 06:56 AM
Mr Wentworth
Arch Duke of Raleigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle Junkie View Post

Moulson JT Martin
Grabner Bailey McDonald
Boyes Nielsen Okposo
Reasoner Cizikas Ullstrom

Or hell try Cizikas on the 2nd line if you're that against moving Bailey back to wing.

Are those lines good? No, our roster is horrible. JT, Moulson & I guess Grabner are the only legit top 6 forwards we have. But try something different.

We have far & away the worst 5 on 5 team in the NHL. IMO the #1 reason for that is because our top 6 is so soft defensively. As soon as we cough up the puck in the offensive zone, we scatter out into center ice, and keep scattering till they're comfortably set up in our zone.

Look at how every other team plays against us. They lose the puck in the offensive zone & they don't just give up, they try to get it back & often they do against us.

Martin & McDonald aren't top 6 players. not by a long shot. But they're both capable 2 way forwards. If Marty McSorley can skate with Wayne Gretzky and drop 30 points a year, then surely Matt Martin can skate with John Tavares.

It really wouldn't kill this team to have some muscle on the top 2 lines that can actually play hockey. Moulson & Okposo should be doing some of that, but they flat out refuse.

The roster is limited, but there are changes that can be made all over the team. They should also break up MacDonald & Hamonic, because for about a month now they've been really dreadful. The PK can be improved. Start off by giving Casey Cizikas a regular spot on the kill. I also think it would be worthwhile to try Okposo out on the PK too. I believe that if you give him that defensive responsibility, then maybe just maybe he'll recapture some of what made him so good in college, AHL & his first couple years in the NHL. He MUST MUST MUST go back to being a hard working defensive player.

I WANT!

I also would like to see Martin on the power play. Just send him to the front of the net...

Old
03-13-2013, 08:38 AM
Dan-o16

Quote:
Exactly, and this is what the Cappy apologists are missing out on. Cappy brings absolutely NO positives to this team whatsoever, why not try something else? Take a risk? Throw a dart! Worst case scenario, we get another coach who doesn't bring anything good to the table.
What, and waste a perfectly good scapegoat? That's the 'positive' he brings the organization - the fact that an established coach would go off the reservation on management with this kind of cheapskate nonsense.

Capuano is a symptom, not the disease. He's muddling through this the best he can. He deserves our sympathy. For all we know he's (probably) a lame duck, too. Not easy.

Should we have a better coach? Of course. Once we have an organization that cares about winning and a GM that seeks to actually build a winning team.

Talking about line combos is a exemplary case of 'shifting deck chairs on the Titanic'.

Cheers,

Dan-o

Dan-o16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 08:42 AM
Dan-o16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Wentworth View Post
I WANT!

I also would like to see Martin on the power play. Just send him to the front of the net...
Sure... Another lefty shot to stand in front of the net and not handle the puck on the power play. Because we don't have that.

Cheers,

Dan-o

Dan-o16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 10:11 AM
redbull
Expect more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Wentworth View Post
I WANT!

Agree with Isles Junkie, like to see the lines shifted, please and thank you. Capuano, I know you read this stuff, get on it!

And Martin has nice hands (in a hockey-player way ) - he should get more minutes with offensive players.

For a team so enamored with Baaaston, why not build the lines/team like them?

Balance, balance, balance.

Marchand - Bergeron - Seguin
Lucic - Krejci - Horton
Paille - Kelly - Peverley
Caron/Pandolfo - Campbell - Thornton

Zdeno Chara Dennis Seidenberg
Johnny Boychuk Andrew Ference
Dougie Hamilton Adam McQuaid

Their bottom six are all role players. Work hard, play smart defense, work work work.
They have no Tavares.
They HAVE Pandolfo.

Moulson scores more goals than all of them. Only Bergeron has more points than Brad Boyes. Yet their top line is
+51 while ours is -26. Yes, that's a 77 goal difference.

I know there are other factors, like Chara and the defense and goaltending, but seriously, it doesn't take a genius to see how poorly constructed the Isles team is, AND the lines.

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 05:32 PM
Mr Wentworth
Arch Duke of Raleigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-o16 View Post
Sure... Another lefty shot to stand in front of the net and not handle the puck on the power play. Because we don't have that.

Cheers,

Dan-o
You know what I was thinking!
A player who plays bigger than his size and one who is not afraid of the physical aspect of the game, to stand in front of the net, tie up a defender, and to try to screen the goalie.