HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

It's time for Capuano to go

Old
02-12-2013, 02:15 PM
DPSNAGS

vCash: 500
When i look at this team i see so much potential other than our goaltending. I see the blues of a couple years ago very similar to this team. They brought in ken Hitchcock(a vet coach with experience) and that did wonders for the young guys like oshie, backes, perron. Maybe its time for us to do the same. Help the stuggling okposo, inconsistent grabner, nielsen...bring these guys to the expectations we expect them to play and round out our defensive game...

We saw in the beginning of the season and last night that we have the potential to have the best power play in the league. We need to work on our 5 on 5 game and a new coach might be the move.

Or bring up Nino...gta do something if this continues

DPSNAGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 02:32 PM
13th Floor

During the Canes game, after the first TV timeout of the game, the Islanders were up 1-0. When returning from the TV timeout, the Canes put their first line on the ice and Capuano responded with our 4th line.

Our 4th line got absolutely abused in their own end and gave up multiple scoring chances. I thought the game was going to be tied right there.

Sorry, but coming out of a TV timeout in the 1st period on home ice up 1 goal, you can not have that matchup blunder. That is just inexcusable.

I agree with most posters here that of course Capuano isn't the only problem, or even the main problem. But I think one of the most annoying things with this franchise is they seem to accept mediocrity. It takes games upon games of horrid 5 on 5 play before they even change the damn lines. It took Okposo about 35 straight terrible games last year before he was benched to send a message. I have never seen this team make a goaltender change to spark a team, even if it isn't the goalies fault. I'm pretty sure that 1/2 of this roster has deserved benching or serious demotion.

I understand we don't have the personnel that gives confidence that these moves would make a positive difference, but insert the definition of insanity quote here. Change something! And we do this on a micro AND macro level.

During games we don't send a spark and bench someone for a period. We don't change goalies to send a message. We don't switch up style of play depending on the situation.

From game to game we don't try different line combinations unless the roster is forced to change due to injury (or coming back from injury). We almost never bench a player who looks disinterested. We don't seem to adapt play to our opponents -- notice how when teams play us again we seem heavily outmatched after our speed is figured out, or they realize they need to double team JT.

From year to year we seem to scout rather poorly, mismanage players, and go dumpster diving. What are the chances that JT finishes in the lottery for EVERY year he is an Islander under his current contract? I'd say pretty good.

It is just so damn frustrating as fan to watch the same crap period after period, game after game, year after year. That is what is having us all check our sanity and mentally try and separate ourselves from the franchise. It starts at the top, and nothing will change until major moves happen there. But that doesn't mean other moves can't be made concurrently.

13th Floor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 04:30 PM
Marlo Stanfield
My Name Is My Name

vCash: 50

Time for Cap to be shown the door. Time to get a coach in who at least has some concept of developing players.

Marlo Stanfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 04:34 PM
Isles Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13th Floor View Post
During the Canes game, after the first TV timeout of the game, the Islanders were up 1-0. When returning from the TV timeout, the Canes put their first line on the ice and Capuano responded with our 4th line.

Our 4th line got absolutely abused in their own end and gave up multiple scoring chances. I thought the game was going to be tied right there.

Sorry, but coming out of a TV timeout in the 1st period on home ice up 1 goal, you can not have that matchup blunder. That is just inexcusable.

I agree with most posters here that of course Capuano isn't the only problem, or even the main problem. But I think one of the most annoying things with this franchise is they seem to accept mediocrity. It takes games upon games of horrid 5 on 5 play before they even change the damn lines. It took Okposo about 35 straight terrible games last year before he was benched to send a message. I have never seen this team make a goaltender change to spark a team, even if it isn't the goalies fault. I'm pretty sure that 1/2 of this roster has deserved benching or serious demotion.

I understand we don't have the personnel that gives confidence that these moves would make a positive difference, but insert the definition of insanity quote here. Change something! And we do this on a micro AND macro level.

During games we don't send a spark and bench someone for a period. We don't change goalies to send a message. We don't switch up style of play depending on the situation.

From game to game we don't try different line combinations unless the roster is forced to change due to injury (or coming back from injury). We almost never bench a player who looks disinterested. We don't seem to adapt play to our opponents -- notice how when teams play us again we seem heavily outmatched after our speed is figured out, or they realize they need to double team JT.

From year to year we seem to scout rather poorly, mismanage players, and go dumpster diving. What are the chances that JT finishes in the lottery for EVERY year he is an Islander under his current contract? I'd say pretty good.

It is just so damn frustrating as fan to watch the same crap period after period, game after game, year after year. That is what is having us all check our sanity and mentally try and separate ourselves from the franchise. It starts at the top, and nothing will change until major moves happen there. But that doesn't mean other moves can't be made concurrently.
This happened a couple times last night.

it's also kind of strange how Capuano won't double shift the 1st line in the 3rd period when he needs a goal. There's nothing more infuriating seeing our 4th line out there with 4 minutes in the game when we're down by 1.

As for not changing goalies, I have a theory as to why that is. IMO the plan with DP is that he plays on the days he plays, and he sits on the days he sits. No going into the game cold to relieve a health, but ineffective Nabokov.

I seem to remember last year when Montoya & the prospects were dressing, there were a couple times when there was a midgame goalie change.

Last edited by Isles Junkie: 02-12-2013 at 04:39 PM.
Isles Junkie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 05:49 PM
xIsle

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13th Floor View Post

Well said!

xIsle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 06:07 PM
xIsle

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
The Isles top five offensive players are among the best in the NHL. The Isles top PK players are also among the best and when Nabby was playing well, the PK was almost perfect.

It's the rest of the players that can't play 5on5.

Moulson, Boyes, Streit are excellent on the PP, with the extra time and space. But those same players, when asked to play 5on5 - SUCK.

On the PK, you can throw Hamonic, MadDonald, Nielsen, Grabs out there and they will be fine. Martin has been amazing on the PK and Bailey looked good there yesterday too.

It's not as simple as you make it out to be. The Islanders are a flawed team that are exposed 5on5. That's on SNOW more than Capuano.

Not defending Cappy, because I don't think he's a very good coach....but how many coaches do we want to see fail on Long Island? Maybe Tim Thomas might help?
It's on Snow to keep Capuano has the head coach...
Anyway, I disagree with you. The differences between the teams right now is pretty thin. And this why I think a good coach can make a big difference.
You think the Isles are bad 5 on 5 and it's not Capuano's fault? Who had the idea of the Moulson-Tavares-Boyes line? Why is Okposo still playing on the top 6? A pairing of Hickey and Mark Streit? Matching your 4th line against the opposition top line at home ice(!)? Don't tell it's because there is no other option than to be that bad!

xIsle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 06:20 PM
It Was 4 to 1
Penguins MVPs

i'm tired of seeing this team outcoached. we have no system, no flow to our game. capuano has to go.

i've seen teams with less talent (florida, phoenix, etc) get to the playoffs.

It Was 4 to 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 06:43 PM
crashthenet

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpOceanless View Post
i'm tired of seeing this team outcoached. we have no system, no flow to our game. capuano has to go.

i've seen teams with less talent (florida, phoenix, etc) get to the playoffs.
It's only a matter of time til Weight is in charge.

crashthenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 07:06 PM
IslesFanatic
**** you SnoWang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlo Stanfield View Post

Time for Cap to be shown the door. Time to get a coach in who at least has some concept of developing players.
Developing players is what is supposed to happen in Bridgeport, not the big club. The big club is supposed to win games. The team that has been assembled by the clueless Snow and the cheapskate ****ing owner doesn't lend itself to the team being successful. It doesnt matter who the coach is. The players on this team simply suck.

IslesFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 08:49 PM
lacunacoil777

ANy new coach will have to be from the new england area, sign up for the lowest salary in the NHL, and will have to play dipietro. All to be given a team of Tavares and waiver wire pickups. How many of good coach's are going to jump at that?

lacunacoil777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 08:56 PM
bigtim1988
veteran user.

i have been saying this even before this losing streak started, i think this guy shoulda been done when last season ended. i think thompson should be the guy that takes over, and i pray they dont give it to weight if it comes to it.

in a perfect world, they give it to a guy that scares these kids, and holds players accountable if they play like crap. a coach like that has okie on the 4th line , trys bailey on the top line, and makes logical decisions....obviously we wont have that, so id rather have thompson out of the two, and hope he can be a laviolette type.

cap has been in over his head from day one, they have a good finish wen he first took over, has a crap yr the next year, but thats OK we'll give him 1 more chance. At this point, this team is underacheaving, i see the talent there, but i dont see a coach that can utilize talent properly. i knew a lot of things would have to go right for this team to make the playoffs, but i expected at least bottom 10, but not bottom 5 again!!

Games like last night, the buff game, and other games where we blew a 3rd period lead, are inexcusable, and its not 100% the coaches fault, but it matters a great deal.

bigtim1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 06:43 AM
bigd

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashthenet View Post
It's only a matter of time til Weight is in charge.
Oh great, he can't even get line changes to go off smoothly.

bigd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 06:47 AM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Bring in Keenan for a year and let him light fires under a lot of butts.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 07:55 AM
Poliz24

If we let Capuano go, who will they try and hire? There is no NHL level coach that will take this job. Does anyone know ANY candidates that have NHL experience??????? Im tired of bringing up coaches from the AHL or anywhere else.

Poliz24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 09:01 AM
bigd

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacunacoil777 View Post
ANy new coach will have to be from the new england area, sign up for the lowest salary in the NHL, and will have to play dipietro. All to be given a team of Tavares and waiver wire pickups. How many of good coach's are going to jump at that?
John Hynes, AHL coach for Wilkes Barre

bigd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 09:20 AM
19NYSports91

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
Bring in Keenan for a year and let him light fires under a lot of butts.
Bring in Gordon Bombay!!

19NYSports91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 09:33 AM
Trumanperro

Send a message via AIM to Trumanperro
Wait until they fire Bylsma, hire him and win the cup. Troll the penguins forever!

Other options are Gordan Bombay and the ghost of Toe Blake or Eddie Shore respectively.

Last edited by Trumanperro: 02-13-2013 at 09:42 AM.
Trumanperro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 09:36 AM
Mr Wentworth
Arch Duke of Raleigh

Guy Boucher?

Supposedly he's not impressing in Tampa.

If he's let go...perhaps?

Mr Wentworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 09:56 AM
Trumanperro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Wentworth View Post
Guy Boucher?

Supposedly he's not impressing in Tampa.

If he's let go...perhaps?
I've never seen anyone on the wrong side of so many calls.

Old
02-13-2013, 10:05 AM
steveat

After each game, I look at the stats of players and how many minutes they play. Cappy uses the JT line a lot...A lot more than other teams use their top players. The Ranger game is an example. Gaborik/Nash OR Callahan never played more than 20 min...I think Gaborik and callahan only played 19 or so min.

I don't think Cappy can afford to double shift because he relies way to heavily on our top line. This tells me that our team is not deep and Cappy doesn't know how to use the other lines. To me..I thought we had a deep bottom 6....Obviously, they aren't as good as I thought they would be.

steveat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 10:14 AM
JKP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poliz24 View Post
If we let Capuano go, who will they try and hire? There is no NHL level coach that will take this job. Does anyone know ANY candidates that have NHL experience??????? Im tired of bringing up coaches from the AHL or anywhere else.
That is a ridiculous statement. There are only 30 of these jobs in the world, and unless you have one already lined up, you'll take the Isles gig, warts and all, because you may never get another shot at one of those 30 jobs.

JKP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 10:18 AM
Trumanperro

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKP View Post
That is a ridiculous statement. There are only 30 of these jobs in the world, and unless you have one already lined up, you'll take the Isles gig, warts and all, because you may never get another shot at one of those 30 jobs.
This and nothing else. Trust me finding a coach is easy, getting Wang to pay him is not.

Old
02-13-2013, 02:25 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19NYSports91 View Post
Bring in Gordon Bombay!!
Only if he brings in Tonic and Lime as assistants.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 02:55 PM
Poliz24

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKP View Post
There have been many head coaches that have been fired during our rebuild and they have not looked at the Island. Why would any of them even look to begin with when the organization settles for 13th or worse in the conference and dumping players for cap issues.

Poliz24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 04:11 PM
MTK

no matter what. Wang & Snow are not going to bring an in NHL experienced coach.

For example the best coach we have had in the last 8 years was Ted Nolan who could make something out of nothing. He spoke his mind and ......

An NHL coach will speak his mind and unfortunately that doesn't work for Wang or Snow. So it will be Thompson or
Weight. Who will appreciate they have a job as a head coach and it will be good for their resume after NYI

Not saying Thompson is a bad choice but we need a "proven" coach amongst other things

MTK is offline   Reply With Quote