Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Leafs 3 Jets 2. Pavelec fails again.

Closed Thread

Old
02-07-2013, 11:52 PM
wilty00

vCash: 500
I love Enstrom, but watching him try to make passes on the zone rushes in our early PP's was devastating. I can't be the only one who was blown away by what I was seeing.

Old
pcanuck

Glad we are losing - as I fan, I began to give up at the beginning of the year- I dislike Noels' coaching style, approach to the game and the way he utilizes players. No one has a role and our VETERAN players are not accountable, and Noel treats our young players like dirt.

I lost faith with Chevy on day 1 when he chose to do nothing with this club. His terrible extensions to players who are undeserving of franchise contracts are sinking this club. Not locating quality players and trying to sign AHL players at 1M per is not my idea of strengthening this hockey team.

We are heading in the wrong direction and simply put, I hope we can lose often enough that we right the wrongs of these hires and get a veteran coach and GM.

Old
Whileee

Two horrendous gaffes (Postma and Ponikarovsky).

Pavelec wasn't really responsible for any of the goals against.

Little-Ladd-Burmi was the only line with any jam.

The Jets are horrendous on face-offs (40.6% tonight), and started most possessions in the 3rd period without the puck. You could see the momentum switch as the Leafs won face-off after face-off in the Jets zone in the middle part of the 3rd period.

Noel sounded as ticked as I've ever heard him. We'll definitely see changes in the line-up. Kane-Jokinen-Wheeler isn't working at all right now. I wouldn't be surprised if Ponikarovsky plays on the 5th line next game. He has been absolutely atrocious.

Old
02-07-2013, 11:53 PM
Holden Caulfield
The Eternal Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigZ65 View Post
Kane and Ladd are the only guys we have who go to the front of the net and Kane is our best finisher in front and in the slot. I don't want him running the half-boards or point.
Really? When has Kane ever been out front of the net? Never goes there. Antropov hasn't recently, but he has in the past and Pearn just needs to get him to go there. It seems that Pearn is telling Antropov to be the down low guy for his size and hands, but he is miscast there, IMO.

You know who was great at being out front. Scheifele.

Old
02-07-2013, 11:53 PM
broinwhyteridge

vCash: 50
Did Ponikarovsky pull this stuff last year in New Jersey or was the standard higher there?

Old
02-07-2013, 11:54 PM
Holden Caulfield
The Eternal Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by broinwhyteridge View Post
Did Ponikarovsky pull this stuff last year in New Jersey or was the standard higher there?
Ponikarovsky's offense days are behind him, IMO. But I thought he was solid at puck control and on the forecheck. He took one bad penalty. It's not the end of the world.

Old
02-07-2013, 11:56 PM
Whileee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
Ponikarovsky's offense days are behind him, IMO. But I thought he was solid at puck control and on the forecheck. He took one bad penalty. It's not the end of the world.
When??? Not tonight.

Old
02-07-2013, 11:58 PM
Bob E

Quote:
Really? When has Kane ever been out front of the net? Never goes there. Antropov hasn't recently, but he has in the past and Pearn just needs to get him to go there. It seems that Pearn is telling Antropov to be the down low guy for his size and hands, but he is miscast there, IMO.

Exactly.

Old
02-07-2013, 11:59 PM
BigZ65

Quote:
In 2013?

Old
02-08-2013, 12:00 AM
I am Canadian
Foreverly Hopeful

Any idea why Reimer (Local boy) and Phaneuf we're jeered/Boo'd..?
My guess was just an involved fanbase. You guys have a good crowd was refreshing to hear compared to the Acc.

Sooo bitter

Last edited by I am Canadian: 02-08-2013 at 12:27 AM.
Old
02-08-2013, 12:01 AM
Holden Caulfield
The Eternal Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am Canadian View Post
My guess was just an involved fanbase. You guys have a good crowd was refreshing to hear compared to the Acc.

Wish you guys luck.
We go after every goalie.

And Phaneuf is just a tool, and the easiest target.

Old
02-08-2013, 12:01 AM
Bob E

Well, the Poni/Antro/Welly line wasn't very good tonight.

It may have been seeing leafs jerseys up close again, all together at one time, but that's not a 3rd line that will win match-ups too often, imo.

Old
02-08-2013, 12:02 AM
broinwhyteridge

At least we only have to sit through this for another 38 games instead of 72.

Old
02-08-2013, 12:02 AM
ghost88*

Quote:

Wish you guys luck.
It might have something to do with the fact that Phaneuf is a troglodyte whose hairline makes the McDonalds "M" look good.

Old
02-08-2013, 12:04 AM
GodTukka*

Listened to the Post-game show, man some idiot fans we have in this town.

Some examples:

Some jagoff tweeted that he was embarrased Phil Kelso scored (i kid you not), not sure what he's on

Fans fail to get the pronunciations of Pavelec and Scheifele correct, (Pavelech and Schefle instead)

I thought we had some intelligent fans in this city, guess not

Old
02-08-2013, 12:05 AM
Prot

I feel really fed up tonight... on the way home I just stewed over the same old crap.

I'm getting sick of seeing the jets try to 'carry' the puck through 3 man neutral zones. For the love of the baby Jesus, why don't they dump? Noel's high cherry picker plan IS NOT WORKING.

I'm sick of seeing us give the best teams in the NHL a massively hard time, and we can't get up for the junk.

I'm sick of seeing our lethargic PK. The Leafs aggressive PK is what we should be doing, our timid box rotating poke check system from 1987 is deader than my Camero from the same era.

Our defensive 'strategy' seems to get worse, every game.

I could go on, but I know I'm not in a good frame of mind. I still think this team IS better than this. I don't expect the cup, but it's better than this. I spent a year being positive about Noel, and I just can't anymore. He's not correcting strategic issues that are still plaguing us from last year.

Old
02-08-2013, 12:06 AM
Bob E

Quote:
Originally Posted by broinwhyteridge View Post
At least we only have to sit through this for another 38 games instead of 72.
See, there's always positives. Just how you look at it.

Old
Snot Rocket
HF anti-tank squad

Quote:

Yep.

Old
BigZ65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob E View Post
Well, the Poni/Antro/Welly line wasn't very good tonight.

It may have been seeing leafs jerseys up close again, all together at one time, but that's not a 3rd line that will win match-ups too often, imo.
At least we'll get some picks for Antropov and maybe Ponikarovsky at the deadline. We should probably reunite Wellwood with Kane and see if they can spark something.

Old
02-08-2013, 12:10 AM
surixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post
Same problem scoring goals as last season. Sure we finished middle of the pack in goals forced, but that is not indicative of the teams offense, in my opinion. At the trade deadline Ladd basically asked for management to bring in scoring help, that is how bad it was and how frustrated the players were.

By all indications, same problem this year. Forwards are far too mediocre, do not create, generate or finish nearly enough, and there isn't one single forward who is consistent on a game to game or even every other game basis. We have not a single player who can generate offense and carry the load for the team.
I think we have enough guys that can put the puck in the net on fairly regular basis but what this team is lacking in a big way is high end playmaker that can set our scorers up in offensive zone. This type of player would also help the pp tremendously. Hopefully Scheifele gets there some day but until he is ready I don't see a realistic solution out there.

As for the game I thought we took our foot off the gas and it burned us tonight. I can't fault Pavs for this one none of the goals were very stoppable.

Old
02-08-2013, 12:10 AM
Duke749
Formerly "BigTuna49"

vCash: 461
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigZ65 View Post
He's too busy adjusting his grip on his stick that's a foot too long so he can handle the puck. I think if we're gonna pay a guy 5 mil a year we should require he use a proper stick. For each pokecheck and avoidance of body contact he gets from that stick, he loses five opportunities to clear the puck, shoot or make a strong pass because he's adjusting his grip so he can handle the puck in tight.
The guy had back-2-back 50 point seasons, then put up a near 50 point pace last year, and is now on pace for 50 points in a shortened season, yet somewhere in your head you think him changing his stick will help? You don't fix what ain't broke.

Old
02-08-2013, 12:11 AM
angrymnky

Need to get forwards/pp producing. Pavs is a problem but what can you do without a good backup? Not going to win many with only two goals- with this goaltending we have to be averaging around 4 goals a game in our wins.

Old
02-08-2013, 12:11 AM
KillEmAll83
Rakastan Lainetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodTukka View Post
Fans fail to get the pronunciations of Pavelec and Scheifele correct, (Pavelech and Schefle instead)
Well, in all fairness that's closer to how his name is actually supposed to be pronounced.

02-08-2013, 12:17 AM
allan5oh
Has prospect fever

vCash: 82
Quote:
We just like having fun. Nothing malicious about it at all. However the fight between a Jets fan and a Leafs fan wasn't very cool.

I knew as soon as we did the "Kessel sucks" chant he'd get one.

Old
02-08-2013, 12:18 AM
Le Golie

This thread is ridiculous. It's like all the people who call the 1290 post game show have made their way to hfboards.

Closed Thread